139 replies to this topic

#21 Jordy

Jordy

CNN Contributor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,467 posts

Posted 25 July 2015 - 05:44 PM

don't get what's the point of moving to LA, when CNN made a point that international news bureaus did not matter as long as the news was there, hence cut in HK hours. Waste money, but what's the point?

I never understood that, because London has as many hours as ever.

Like I said earlier, I think this is for Domestic's pleasure.

So CNN'i' will have four daily locations from US cities (Atlanta, New York, Washington (Wolf), LA, yet we get a pathetic 45 minutes from HK. With this and the indulgence of hours at the London bureau, this supposedly international news channel is heavily American/London biased.

#22 sky303

sky303

CNN Copy Editor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 713 posts

Posted 25 July 2015 - 06:01 PM

Last I understood , it was both a CNN and HLN set  , just  CNN doesn't broadcast from LA much anymore .    Will be interesting   what they do ... I wonder if it will be  5-7am uk time  with John and Isha  then 7-9am uk time  Rosemary and Errol .  and Zain gets News Center (unless they rename it )

With NewsCenter, I can see Linda Kinkade or Jonathan Mann getting that win Zain moving to the weekends.

I'd actually like Natalie Allen to get NewsCenter, but I doubt that will happen.

But I think it's more likely that NewsCenter will be merged into TWRN with Hala Gorani in a 'permantley specially extended edition of the world right now' :)

would make more sense  or the other way to kill the News Center name and just call it newsroom 

#23 sky303

sky303

CNN Copy Editor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 713 posts

Posted 25 July 2015 - 06:11 PM

don't get what's the point of moving to LA, when CNN made a point that international news bureaus did not matter as long as the news was there, hence cut in HK hours. Waste money, but what's the point? 

I don't get why the want to do LA too , they are going  to need a little more staff now , rather than before doing 4 hours from Atlanta , just switching anchors seems  more cost effective. 

#24 ginnyfan

ginnyfan

• Moderators
  • 10,474 posts

Posted 25 July 2015 - 08:29 PM

Maybe CNN wants to make their LA hub and west coast presence stronger and more relevant? I guess we could be seeing more of Sara Sidner now, maybe filling in and presenting LA bulletins? Anyway, it's an exciting prospect imo, a new presenting center and from the part of the US that we never had before.

We'll back tomorrow , if they let us out of our cages. - Monita and Owen on CNN Today, 2008.

#25 excel99

excel99

CNN Anchor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,837 posts

Posted 25 July 2015 - 09:35 PM

LA makes a lot of sense for a show that forms part of the CNN/US west coast primetime schedule

#26 Carolina Argentina

Carolina Argentina

CNN President

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,033 posts

Posted 26 July 2015 - 01:05 AM

To Americans, all accents except american ones, are British.  

Zain has a type of a British accent as well.

Anyway, seems to me that John/Zain partnership never really clicked, for viewers or the anchors themselves (she's the only one not in that party photo). She would better suite a single headed bulletin like News Center.

For Isha this will be a boost again, after a few years of going nowhere. She gets to be on both domestic and Int again plus a cool new location.

Isha wasn't in it either.  

#27 Carolina Argentina

Carolina Argentina

CNN President

• Members
  • 5,033 posts

Posted 26 July 2015 - 01:13 AM

zain Asher is from Nigeria, so she speaks English with a Nigerian accent.  They speak English there.

Ok.  

Zain Asher is Nigerian. 

Errol Gardner is Jamaican/English. 

John Vause,  Linda Kincade, Rosemary Church and Michael Holmes are Australians.  

Isha Seshay is from western Africa.-- I think it's Ivory Coast. 

Ivan Watson and Ben Wedemann are Americans.  

I'm too tired to finish this.I'll finish tomorrow.

#28 sky303

sky303

CNN Copy Editor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 713 posts

Posted 26 July 2015 - 04:25 AM

Maybe CNN wants to make their LA hub and west coast presence stronger and more relevant? I guess we could be seeing more of Sara Sidner now, maybe filling in and presenting LA bulletins? Anyway, it's an exciting prospect imo, a new presenting center and from the part of the US that we never had before.

Will be interesting to see how they do it, they just better keep it with good international news content ... and  make good use of the set. 

#29 GradyACN

GradyACN

CNN V.J.

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 400 posts

Posted 26 July 2015 - 04:31 AM

CNN has a LA Studio, not sure if it has been replaced with the HLN Set or not but here is what the set looks like,

4797146884_42bf9b65d1.jpg

cnnla01.jpg

If not i think CNN Latino has a space there that might still exist, CNN could re work it for a space for CNNi

0.jpg

DF0AiCd.gif

GradyACN your home for TV themes and opens, & mock studio designs https://www.youtube....er/Gradyconnell

CNNi, CNN US and HLN studio usage and rough schedule   <--Please update as you see fit

#30 AJJ

AJJ

CNN Correspondent

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,925 posts

Posted 26 July 2015 - 04:43 AM

I don't get why the want to do LA too , they are going to need a little more staff now , rather than before doing 4 hours from Atlanta , just switching anchors seems more cost effective.

In terms of cost efficiency, there a chance the move was helped to aid HLN which uses a crew for Dr. Drew's show. They may also be looking into making The Daily Share LA now dynamic.
NEW DAY, BLACK FRIDAY 2015

BERMAN: Have shoppers become hooked on their mobile devices to fill their needs?
PEREIRA: Guilty as charged!
BERMAN: Their shopping needs, I'm talking about. We'll break it down next.
PEREIRA: (gasps) What is wrong with you?!
BERMAN: I don't know!

#31 Gman

Gman

CNN Correspondent

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,610 posts

Posted 26 July 2015 - 04:44 AM

zain Asher is from Nigeria, so she speaks English with a Nigerian accent.  They speak English there.

Ok.  

Zain Asher is Nigerian. 

Although born in Nigeria, Zain's accent doesn't have a trace of Nigerian!

Forgive me for going two hundred miles off topic but Gina Yashere, a British/Nigerian comedian from the UK, imitates her mother beautifully!

To go back on topic, I really hope that Sara Sidner plays a part in this big change. Another plus is that both Isha and John can work with anyone with their personalities! They've worked together in the past and were very watchable (not a word, sorry).

#32 Carolina Argentina

Carolina Argentina

CNN President

• Members
  • 5,033 posts

Posted 26 July 2015 - 07:08 AM

Ok.  

Zain Asher is Nigerian. 

Although born in Nigeria, Zain's accent doesn't have a trace of Nigerian!

Forgive me for going two hundred miles off topic but Gina Yashere, a British/Nigerian comedian from the UK, imitates her mother beautifully!

To go back on topic, I really hope that Sara Sidner plays a part in this big change. Another plus is that both Isha and John can work with anyone with their personalities! They've worked together in the past and were very watchable (not a word, sorry).

Watchable is a perfectly good word.  Per Merriam Webster:  Dictionary

watchable

adjective watch·able \ˈwä-chə-bəl, ˈw-\

: worth watching because of being interesting or entertaining

Edited by Carolina Argentina, 26 July 2015 - 07:09 AM.

#33 Houston

Houston

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 4,162 posts

Posted 26 July 2015 - 08:00 AM

Isha Sesay is British, her parents were from Sierra Leone.

And I can tell where someone is from by their accent. They don't all sound British to me. But Isha Sesay always sounds to me like she has a mouth full of marbles.

#34 Revorushin

Revorushin

CNN Copy Editor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 717 posts

Posted 26 July 2015 - 05:13 PM

Another sign that CNN is serious with a west coast-centric bulletin is the reports earlier this week that CNN is in some sort of negotiations with Christin Ayers from KPIX to become the channel's west coast correspondent. The channel reportedly offered her $400k, quite a large amount for a correspondent. 

#35 Jordy

Jordy

CNN Contributor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,467 posts

Posted 26 July 2015 - 05:51 PM

I agree with the comments regarding Sara Sidner, she was great hosting Global Exchange, and I have fond memories when she co-presented CNN Newsroom HK with Andrew Stevens.

#36 Gman

Gman

CNN Correspondent

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,610 posts

Posted 26 July 2015 - 07:58 PM

I agree with the comments regarding Sara Sidner, she was great hosting Global Exchange, and I have fond memories when she co-presented CNN Newsroom HK with Andrew Stevens.

Not to mention her time on Prism and all that time when she had the broken leg!

Edited by Gman, 26 July 2015 - 07:58 PM.

#37 Norwegian viewer

Norwegian viewer

CNN Copy Editor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 843 posts

Posted 26 July 2015 - 10:49 PM

The only reason I can see for moving an international show to LA, is something personal. Perhaps John has an important personal reason for moving, and CNNI wants him to continue as an anchor. It would be more important to get more airtime out of Hong Kong than introducing LA. OK, as the programme is being simulcast on domestic, they may see something positive with having it aired from LA in the evening local time. But that argument should not be valued too much in this case, as this is a CNNI broadcast. Why not let domestic have a morning show from LA? This is a domestic matter. 

#38 Carolina Argentina

Carolina Argentina

CNN President

• Members
  • 5,033 posts

Posted 27 July 2015 - 03:28 AM

Another sign that CNN is serious with a west coast-centric bulletin is the reports earlier this week that CNN is in some sort of negotiations with Christin Ayers from KPIX to become the channel's west coast correspondent. The channel reportedly offered her $400k, quite a large amount for a correspondent. 

American TV pays its on air talent a lot of money.  How much do the Sr. international correspondents make? 

#39 Jordy

Jordy

CNN Contributor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,467 posts

Posted 27 July 2015 - 10:14 AM

The only reason I can see for moving an international show to LA, is something personal. Perhaps John has an important personal reason for moving, and CNNI wants him to continue as an anchor. It would be more important to get more airtime out of Hong Kong than introducing LA. OK, as the programme is being simulcast on domestic, they may see something positive with having it aired from LA in the evening local time. But that argument should not be valued too much in this case, as this is a CNNI broadcast. Why not let domestic have a morning show from LA? This is a domestic matter.

I think this just goes to show there was zero truth in the reason HK was cut in the first place. After all, there's been NO cuts only extra programming in London, AD has stayed the same, CNNi broadcasts daily from New York, Atlanta, soon LA, and also takes feed from Washington DC. Like I say, it's all very US/ London centric. HK used to provide a true balance, now it's just a stand in when the bland Max Foster can't make it in.

It's true what they say isn't it, CNN International is just the CNN for Americans abroad.

#40 ginnyfan

ginnyfan

• Moderators
  • 10,474 posts

Posted 27 July 2015 - 07:44 PM

John is now tweeting about this, confirming the news and saying that he will stay in the same time slot.

We'll back tomorrow , if they let us out of our cages. - Monita and Owen on CNN Today, 2008.

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users