Photo

Words and Phrases That Should Be Banned From CNN.

18 replies to this topic

#1 Carolina Argentina

Carolina Argentina

CNN Anchor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,984 posts

Posted 18 November 2015 - 11:27 PM

existential threat

aspirational

#2 Gman

Gman

CNN Correspondent

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,522 posts

Posted 19 November 2015 - 04:41 AM

"Going Forward"

Stupid expression. It's not as if we can "go back".

#3 Carolina Argentina

Carolina Argentina

CNN Anchor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,984 posts

Posted 19 November 2015 - 06:15 AM

I knew you'd like this topic, Gman.

#4 Jordy

Jordy

CNN Contributor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,466 posts

Posted 19 November 2015 - 09:56 AM

'Standby' :)

#5 imjohndoeandthisiscnn

imjohndoeandthisiscnn

CNN V.J.

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 391 posts

Posted 19 November 2015 - 06:04 PM

"happening now"

"The news coverage continues. Around the world, around the clock, this is CNN." - Richard Quest, 20 May 2016

#6 AJJ

AJJ

CNN Correspondent

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,915 posts

Posted 19 November 2015 - 08:16 PM

Lol those last 2. Those are Wolf's favorites!
NEW DAY, BLACK FRIDAY 2015

BERMAN: Have shoppers become hooked on their mobile devices to fill their needs?
PEREIRA: Guilty as charged!
BERMAN: Their shopping needs, I'm talking about. We'll break it down next.
PEREIRA: (gasps) What is wrong with you?!
BERMAN: I don't know!

#7 Carolina Argentina

Carolina Argentina

CNN Anchor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,984 posts

Posted 28 November 2015 - 01:19 AM

Optics

#8 ginnyfan

ginnyfan

• Moderators
  • 10,457 posts

Posted 22 December 2015 - 04:29 PM

''I APPRECIATE you joining us'' ''Thank you SO MUCH for joining us'' and all other, overly friendly greetings and lines to reporters. It all comes across as just fake and phony. It's not like these reporters are doing you any favors or anything special.  It's their job and do live interviews and links, they are on duty like anyone else.

We'll back tomorrow , if they let us out of our cages. - Monita and Owen on CNN Today, 2008.

#9 Jordy

Jordy

CNN Contributor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,466 posts

Posted 22 December 2015 - 05:03 PM

''I APPRECIATE you joining us'' ''Thank you SO MUCH for joining us'' and all other, overly friendly greetings and lines to reporters. It all comes across as just fake and phony. It's not like these reporters are doing you any favors or anything special. It's their job and do live interviews and links, they are on duty like anyone else.

Yes, I have thought that before. Fair enough for guests, but not staff. :) Without trying to be controversial here again, you see it alot with the younger/ newer anchors. You don't see it so much, if at all with more senior experienced anchors.

Local news in my area, their budget was considerably slashed a few years back, most presenters now are people in their 20's or 30's. They just read the autocue, and nothing else. If for example, there was sound problems with the inserted weather forecast, and they don't even acknowlege it and just continue reading the autocue like nothing happened. They're like robots.

Edited by Jordy, 22 December 2015 - 05:04 PM.

#10 Gman

Gman

CNN Correspondent

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,522 posts

Posted 23 December 2015 - 12:46 AM

''I APPRECIATE you joining us'' ''Thank you SO MUCH for joining us'' and all other, overly friendly greetings and lines to reporters. It all comes across as just fake and phony. It's not like these reporters are doing you any favors or anything special.  It's their job and do live interviews and links, they are on duty like anyone else.

Don Lemon used to be criticised for that only he left it at just "We appreciate you" which was just plain wrong!

#11 Jordy

Jordy

CNN Contributor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,466 posts

Posted 23 December 2015 - 02:15 PM

yes, and 'GREAT REPORTING'... :)

#12 jjerome95

jjerome95

CNN Contributor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,432 posts

Posted 24 December 2015 - 02:52 AM

Breaking news

CNN International Current Anchors and Schedule <--Please update as you see fit

#13 ginnyfan

ginnyfan

• Moderators
  • 10,457 posts

Posted 24 December 2015 - 09:12 AM

''Thank you for joining ME''

This also annoys me and tends to be done by the more ego driven CNN people. I am not joining you, I am joining CNN, a news channel and you are only presenting a bulletin produced and done by a dozen of people behind the scenes. So saying joining ME actually excludes them.

We'll back tomorrow , if they let us out of our cages. - Monita and Owen on CNN Today, 2008.

#14 Jordy

Jordy

CNN Contributor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,466 posts

Posted 24 December 2015 - 11:03 AM

''Thank you for joining ME''

This also annoys me and tends to be done by the more ego driven CNN people. I am not joining you, I am joining CNN, a news channel and you are only presenting a bulletin produced and done by a dozen of people behind the scenes. So saying joining ME actually excludes them.

To be fair, they're talking between themselves. The guests aren't talking to the producers and newsroom team, they're talking to the presenter, so it makes sense.

If they 'said thanks for joining us', it would imply there are more people in the conversation. The viewers are only intended to see on air personalities. The people behind the scenes are called 'people behind the scenes' for a reason.

Edited by Jordy, 24 December 2015 - 11:04 AM.

#15 ginnyfan

ginnyfan

• Moderators
  • 10,457 posts

Posted 24 December 2015 - 11:59 AM

I should have clarified, it's about that sentence used as an introduction to the bulletin, not in interviews. That said, I don't like it when used in interviews either.

#16 Jordy

Jordy

CNN Contributor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,466 posts

Posted 11 February 2017 - 01:06 PM

'I'm just curious' (anchor to reporter).

Well aren't we all? :)

#17 James Jayoma

James Jayoma

CNN V.J.

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 267 posts

Posted 11 March 2017 - 04:12 PM

"EXCLUSIVE BREAKING NEWS": Intruder breaches the White House. What is this? Are they going to have a separate intro for this? A more dramatic, apocalyptic one?

We'll have another hour of news from around the world as this broadcast continues to our viewers on CNN USA & CNN International. --George Howell

#18 Carolina Argentina

Carolina Argentina

CNN Anchor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,984 posts

Posted 11 March 2017 - 04:35 PM

"donald trump" :sarcastic:

#19 Houston

Houston

Administrator

• Administrators