887 replies to this topic

#21 Ozzie Rosie

Ozzie Rosie

CNN Copy Editor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 615 posts

Posted 07 February 2009 - 10:55 PM

I'm gonna hafta COMPLETELY agree with daryl. Colleen is one of the best storytellers out there. When she anchors, it's like she's talking to you and you only. I love it.

As for Shulie (not sure if I got her name right and to be honest, I couldn't be less bothered with her name), she should drop the I'm-the-world's-greatest-journalist airs about her because she is so not. I can't stand watching a second of her. I would sooner gouge my eyes out, poke my ears out and then feed them to the alligators.
I'm Rosemary Church, thanks for your company. *SMILES*

#22 Charles

Charles

CNN Anchor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,270 posts

Posted 08 February 2009 - 12:23 AM

Yes, that's one area where CNN beats AJE. AJE never has live news for more than 90 minutes, unlike CNN (well, at least CNN used to have longer news blocks, too.) Still, AJE's canned programs are so good. I love the LIstening Post, Inside Story, and the others.

#23 Junk Junk.

Junk Junk.

CNN Anchor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,212 posts

Posted 08 February 2009 - 11:41 AM

I loved the Listening Post during the election time; really good program.

#24 Spitfire

Spitfire

CNN Correspondent

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,034 posts

Posted 08 March 2009 - 12:36 AM

Trans national Al Jazeera weekend anchoress Barbara Serra has a rather beautiful smile me thinks.Posted Image
Posted Image
Quote of the week
Holmesy on Hala
"Do not adjust your set she really is that beautiful."
YWT 14th November 2006

#25 zack10

zack10

CNN V.J.

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 339 posts

Posted 09 March 2009 - 04:49 AM

whats hers nationality. I like how she says her name on air. "I'm Barbara Serra"

#26 Ozzie Rosie

Ozzie Rosie

CNN Copy Editor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 615 posts

Posted 11 April 2009 - 03:40 AM

Italian but bred in the UK.

#27 Charles

Charles

CNN Anchor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,270 posts

Posted 14 May 2009 - 04:19 AM

I haven't really been watching AJE on a regular basis until recently, so I have a question: do their anchors swap shifts frequently? It seems like one month, Teymoor Nabili will be the weekday anchor, while Veronica Pedrosa will be the weekend anchor. This month, they've switched places again. Same with Ghida Fakry and Shihab Rattansi-- they seem to switch roles at the end of every month.

Is this a normal practice, or is this not the case at all?

#28 Morpium

Morpium

CNNFan.org Hero

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,260 posts

Posted 08 June 2009 - 09:21 PM

The only way for me to watch AJE is via webstream, but that annoys me, so I very rarely watch. I was just wondering if Hamish McDonald is still with the network. I caught him this morning as 'Europe correspondent' for one of the morning shows down here. Possibly something he does on the side (if he's still with AJE).

(click to enlarge)

#29 Charles

Charles

CNN Anchor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,270 posts

Posted 08 June 2009 - 10:24 PM

I saw him on AJE two days ago. He's also on twitter as @hamishreporter.

#30 Houston

Houston

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 4,138 posts

Posted 13 June 2009 - 08:20 AM

Link TV is now running the AJE 9pm CST news live. That's the first I've seen AJ carried on a channel and even if it's only 30 minutes maybe it's a start.

#31 Charles

Charles

CNN Anchor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,270 posts

Posted 13 June 2009 - 08:39 AM

Ah yes I've heard about that before, but Comcast doesn't carry that (no surprise there). Are you referring to their airing of 'Witness', or do they actually air one of their live news bulletins?

#32 Houston

Houston

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 4,138 posts

Posted 13 June 2009 - 03:26 PM

It's live news - I didn't recognize the anchor - I'll get the name next week.

#33 Houston

Houston

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 4,138 posts

Posted 16 June 2009 - 02:41 AM

Well, tonight it was:
Posted Image

I'm hoping it's her usual slot. But solo?

#34 Charles

Charles

CNN Anchor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,270 posts

Posted 16 June 2009 - 03:15 AM

I can't ever figure out the anchor rotations on AJE. I usually catch the bulletins from KL or London, but when I do catch the bulletins from DC, sometimes it's Ghida, sometimes it's Shihab, and sometimes it's both. I've also seen other anchors in DC, too.

#35 Houston

Houston

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 4,138 posts

Posted 19 June 2009 - 04:33 AM

Yeah, it's been Shihab for Tues. and Wed. nights and back to Ghida tonight.
I'm starting wish we could get the channel 24/7.

#36 Charles

Charles

CNN Anchor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,270 posts

Posted 19 June 2009 - 05:31 AM

I'm starting wish we could get the channel 24/7.

Oh I know. They produce such good journalism, their presentation is excellent, and their anchors are better than BBCWN's (though not as charismatic as CNNI's.) I'm really looking forward to the new Listening Post tomorrow.

#37 Charles

Charles

CNN Anchor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,270 posts

Posted 20 June 2009 - 01:51 AM

I caught him this morning as 'Europe correspondent' for one of the morning shows down here. Possibly something he does on the side (if he's still with AJE).

That appears to be the case. His Wikipedia page says that in May, he replaced Nuala Hafner as the European corres. for Sunrise. (As a side note, his brother is also a reporter for the ABC in Sydney.)

Posted Image

He's not even 30 yet. :shock: I hope to be that accomplished by the time I'm 50.

---

Rob Reynolds was in DC tonight.

#38 Ozzie Rosie

Ozzie Rosie

CNN Copy Editor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 615 posts

Posted 21 June 2009 - 09:29 PM

He's not even 30 yet. :shock: I hope to be that accomplished by the time I'm 50.

I KNOW! I feel so unaccomplished beside him...

#39 AExAVF

AExAVF

CNN Copy Editor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 698 posts

Posted 25 June 2009 - 12:54 PM

Lately Al Jazeera English has broadcast several new programs, such as the one focusing on the Somali pirates, titled Pirates' Haven, as well as Anatomy of a Revolution, focusing on Iran's 1979 revolution. In the past they've also shown the documentary Dining with Terrorists, based on the book of the same name. These programs give AJE the edge over CNN - where AJE lacks in the newsblocks, it makes up for it with their varied topics of their documentaries.

Of course I also have some misgivings of AJE, particularly as to their program Inside Iraq. That program had as one of its guests Republican pundit Brad Blakeman, who turned every serious debate on Inside Iraq into "shouting matches." Here are examples on one episode:

- Pt. 1
- Pt. 2

As much as I hate to admit it, I feel like laughing at every episode of Inside Iraq whenever Blakeman is a guest, since the discussion really goes nowhere. Or in any case, switch to another channel.

And recently they have a new program called Counting the Cost, which is their version of CNN's World Business Today.
"As an anchor Kate Bolduan has no equal; as a correspondent she has no known biases."
- lifted from the words of Victor Caroli as he describes Predaking in the files of Teletraan II.

#40 Charles

Charles

CNN Anchor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,270 posts

Posted 27 June 2009 - 12:34 AM

I must applaud AJE for not going with the Jackso story 24/7. They gave it the right amount of time it deserved yesterday, and today, they treated it like any other story.

These two are a good team - Barbara Serra and Hamish MacDonald:

Posted ImagePosted Image

And I found some gorgeous, gorgeous photos of the AJ news centers in Doha and KL in this photo album. Very stunning pictures.

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users