887 replies to this topic

#41 zack10

zack10

CNN V.J.

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 339 posts

Posted 27 June 2009 - 05:21 PM

For them they consider themselves to be anti western media. And when the story about Micheal Jackson a consummate westerner died they refuse to covered it wall to wall. If it was a big middle eastern figure they would have covered it and the Western networks would have treated it just like another middle eastern story on a daily basis.
Micheal Jackson was a global figure and I am pretty show people in the middle east like him so I guess they were watching the coverage and BEEP/CNN. His death is such a big media event and for them not to go wall to wall is sad and foolish on their part. For instance the pope death cross geographical, political and religious division all the world networks were covering it. Micheal musical talent did cross all of that.

#42 Charles

Charles

CNN Anchor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,273 posts

Posted 27 June 2009 - 07:47 PM

They covered it wall to wall on Thursday when he died, but Friday, it became just another top story. What else do you expect? There's not a whole lot to say about it. Yes, he was very well known throughout the world, but he had no political or religious power, so of course they aren't covering him like he did have those powers. Besides, there are much more important stories to talk about now- 10 people were killed in Iraq the other day and the fallout in Iran hasn't gone away.

CNN doesn't want to drop this story after their ratings shot up so much.

#43 Houston

Houston

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 4,162 posts

Posted 28 June 2009 - 03:59 AM

The Friday night show I saw had about 3 minutes of him. Actually I was surprised he was in LA. I thought he moved away to Bahrain after his pedophilia trial.

Another week of alternating anchors - I would really like to see them together.

#44 Charles

Charles

CNN Anchor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,273 posts

Posted 28 June 2009 - 04:49 AM

^^^

Chances are you'll catch the two of them together at some point. I can't figure out the rotations, either. The anchor rotations aren't as easy to figure out as CNN's or the BBC's.

#45 Charles

Charles

CNN Anchor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,273 posts

Posted 29 June 2009 - 09:06 AM

I'm starting wish we could get the channel 24/7.

You can request it here:

http://www.iwantaje.net/

#46 Charles

Charles

CNN Anchor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,273 posts

Posted 29 June 2009 - 11:18 PM

Shiulie Ghosh:

Posted ImagePosted Image

Laura Kyle, another AJE anchor I really like, who is based in KL. Of course, all of the AJE anchors are pretty good. They aren't as fun to watch as CNN's anchors, but they're heaps more captivating than BBC's.

Posted ImagePosted Image

#47 Charles

Charles

CNN Anchor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,273 posts

Posted 30 June 2009 - 10:18 PM

I don't know if anybody but me cares, but here are some more gorgeous shots of the Al Jazeera Doha news center from Flickr:

Here's the Arabic newsroom (not as pretty in my opinion):

Sometimes I wish there was an AJEFan forum. :-)

#48 Spitfire

Spitfire

CNN Correspondent

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,034 posts

Posted 01 July 2009 - 11:37 PM

Ghida Fakhry just announced that americans living in Washington DC can watch Al Jazz 24 hours a day. Those fortunate washingtonian viewers will see that lots of americans work for AJE and that they don't show live showings of christians being stoned to death.
Quote of the week
Holmesy on Hala
"Do not adjust your set she really is that beautiful."
YWT 14th November 2006

#49 Charles

Charles

CNN Anchor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,273 posts

Posted 02 July 2009 - 12:07 AM

Thanks for the heads up, Spitty. I thought that DC already got Jazeera, but I guess not. They're having a special about Jazeera and the American media tonight at 11:00 PM EDT.

#50 Spitfire

Spitfire

CNN Correspondent

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,034 posts

Posted 02 July 2009 - 06:41 PM

AJE don't or rarely do light stories so I agree they come across as serious, that's not as bad as those CNNers who come across as serious even when doing light stories. Anand Naidoo was probably the dullest CNN anchor of all and after moving to AJE he is now the dullest AJE anchor, that is quite an acheivement.

2 of Shiulie & 1 of Barbara Serra

Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Quote of the week
Holmesy on Hala
YWT 14th November 2006

#51 Charles

Charles

CNN Anchor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,273 posts

Posted 05 July 2009 - 11:22 AM

Al Jazeera English is very likely to hit the Canadian airwaves this fall. Here's an article from the Globe & Mail:

http://www.theglobea...article1200118/

I suppose it's easier for AJE to enter Canada with the way they regulate cable channels, and that the don't have to worry about AIPAC, but I suppose it doesn't hurt that AJE's managing director is a Canadian and was the managing director of the CBC for a long time.

Hopefully this all means that nationwide US carriage isn't too far away.

So Canada now has BBC World and is soon getting CNNI and AJE. Screw all my webstreams...I'm moving to Canada.

#52 Charles

Charles

CNN Anchor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,273 posts

Posted 06 July 2009 - 05:18 AM

Stephen Cole and Barbara Serra...I think these are from Friday. Sorry, I didn't get any closeups of Barbara.

Posted ImagePosted Image

#53 Spitfire

Spitfire

CNN Correspondent

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,034 posts

Posted 07 July 2009 - 09:48 PM

In a 60 minute show Al Jazz waited until 45 minutes in before MJ came up, that is a great editorial decision in my unalterable opinion.
Quote of the week
Holmesy on Hala
YWT 14th November 2006

#54 Charles

Charles

CNN Anchor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,273 posts

Posted 10 July 2009 - 08:17 AM

My access to CNNI has been down the last few days (so has Houston's, which explains the recent lack of Hala caps from us), but I haven't really missed it too much now that I'm watching a lot of Al Jazeera. I still can catch part of Kristie and Anna on CNN.com/Live, so the only other person on CNN that I really miss is Hala.

Here's a good pairing. Felicity Barr and Barbara Serra:

Posted Image

#55 Spitfire

Spitfire

CNN Correspondent

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,034 posts

Posted 10 July 2009 - 02:04 PM

The Barbara Serra side of that duo is great but I can't stand Felicity Barr, to me she comes across as a prissy elitist and a bit of a snob.
Quote of the week
Holmesy on Hala
YWT 14th November 2006

#56 Charles

Charles

CNN Anchor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,273 posts

Posted 10 July 2009 - 08:38 PM

I don't mind her. Do you remember her from ITV, Spitty?

Felicity and Hamish today. Hamish has become one of my favorite male anchors.

Posted ImagePosted Image

#57 Charles

Charles

CNN Anchor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,273 posts

Posted 13 July 2009 - 09:02 AM

David Frost was on CNN's Reliable Sources to talk about AJE. Video here.

I've also read that AJE could be coming soon to 20 major US cities (including Denver). There's a company called MHz Networks, which provides international programming. They have cable services (currently only in Washington), but they program the subchannels of 20 independent or PBS stations. The one here already carries some France 24, Deutsche-Welle, Russia Today, and NHK bulletins, but Al Jazeera ones are coming soon.

#58 Junk Junk.

Junk Junk.

CNN Anchor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,212 posts

Posted 13 July 2009 - 05:38 PM

That's good to know. I've always thought it would be much better for AJE to bring out their star power like Frost to the US.

#59 Charles

Charles

CNN Anchor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,273 posts

Posted 15 July 2009 - 02:11 AM

The newswall in CNN's New York set has nothing on this newswall:

Posted Image

#60 zack10

zack10

CNN V.J.

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 339 posts

Posted 15 July 2009 - 04:09 AM

What direction will AJ take if and that's if they try to revamp that studio. I do not know what else can they do to themselves, they out did themselves with that news wall. In a couple of years some new technology will come and news walls could be a thing of the past.
For me personally I would like them to make it intimate. Like, you are close to the anchors. That is the vibe I feel is missing from the channel. Even their closeup shots are random and scarce. It gives the anchor sort of a standoffish feel and they barely talk to one another. During sports time they say and now the sports news "here is ...." "that's all the sports news we have back to ....." It is straightly news presentation and not intimate for interaction and making the viewers feel like they are part of the anchor desk. Don't get me wrong their anchors are impeccable and beautiful, but do you know what makes them tic when they laugh at that funny clip at the end of the broadcast or their favorite sports team. For Al J they are all serious and not wanting to make some fun every time I check them out.

CNN has always been light and when Its time to get serious they will tame the foolishness down even though some news anchors don't know when to stop. If they could just stop the constant zooming and and walking around during quest means business. MSNBC did that when they open the 30 rock studio but viewers didn't like it. They stop all the zooming in and out. It is very showy to say the least.

BBC World was very ALJ back in the day but after their most recent revamp they have made the channel very accessible and the anchors go out of their way to relax and make some fun. Their set is the most intimate of all the channels, even their cameras are all on the ground level for viewers to feel like they are right there. No over head shots. Everyone fits right behind that oval desk well. BBC World also have lots of guest come into their studio rather then from remote locations like CNN and Al J (Doha) set that would explain why the channel feels more intimate.

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users