22 replies to this topic

#21 Bubbles

Bubbles

CNN V.J.

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 335 posts

Posted 17 October 2011 - 10:13 AM

Starting the past week, all CNN video podcasts became much shorter: AC360 from ~35 minutes to ~10 minutes, GPS from the whole show down to 1 interview. What's that? Desperate ratings grabbing by driving people back to watch CNN on TV??

I wouldn't be surprised if they were thinking something like that. I don't subscribe to any of CNN's podcasts, but it's a little concerning to hear that it is another feature they seem to be trimming.

#22 Riceo

Riceo

CNN Copy Editor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 813 posts

Posted 13 January 2012 - 04:38 AM

Have you always had to pay for the GPS podcast? $1.99 each for a podcast may seem cheap enough, but for those of us who pay for cable and want to grab a podcast, it's double dipping. It seems a few people aren't happy with the charge either. Here's just 3 of the comments from itunes.

Attached File  gpsitunes.jpg   51.3KB   6 downloads

#23 newser

newser

CNN Correspondent

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,234 posts

Posted 13 January 2012 - 05:08 AM

I'm pretty sure the entire show was available as a podcast from CNN's website for free until they reduced all of the weekly podcasts to just 10 minutes. But after I saw your post about them trying to earn money on this, I went over to cnn.com to check if those 10 minute versions are also now behind a pay wall and then I saw Fareed saying this: "I begin with an exciting announcement. Starting Monday, January 9th, you'll be able to get full video episodes of Fareed Zakaria GPS on the iTunes TV store. If you're currently subscribed to this free video podcast, starting next week, you will begin receiving the full podcast episodes in its audio format."

So, if I got this correct, no more free Fareed Zakaria GPS video podcasts, but at least we'll get to hear full episodes from now on, unlike the past few months when only the abbreviated 10 minute versions were available.

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users