CNN anchor, based in Hong Kong.

#2 Spitfire

Spitfire

CNN Correspondent

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,034 posts

Posted 03 May 2007 - 10:08 AM

Kristie Lu definitely forms part of my Anchoring A-Team so it was lovely to catch a bit of her on WNA yesterday. :P

Other members of my Anchoring A-Team would be

Hala
Andrea
Anjali
Isha
Rosemary
Asieh
my one male would be Questy but he's not doing it anymore so I'll say Holmesy. :lol: :lol: :lol:

Found this today as well in GulfNews.com. :D

In the spotlight
By Suchitra Bajpai Chaudhary, Staff Writer

All the world's a stage and this time the curtain rises on the new developments in Dubai and Abu Dhabi. Suchitra Bajpai Chaudhary observes CNN's Kristie Lu Stout as she presents UAE to the world. Catch it on your telly tomorrow.

We are standing on the promenade of the Madinat Jumeirah with its calm, blue waters languorously washing over the stone embankment. In contrast to the water's languidity is the vibrant and perky Hong Kong-based anchor/correspondent of CNN, Kristie Lu Stout.

Her beautiful face framed against the imposing structure of the Burj Al Arab in the background, she readies herself to talk as the camera begins to roll.

In a crisp but easy manner she talks of the amazing blend of heritage and modernity as exemplified by the two astoundingly beautiful architectural treasures of Dubai.

The camera pans taking in the inimitable attractiveness of the surroundings, catching the magnificence of the Burj Al Arab, the breathtaking traditional beauty of Madinat Jumeirah and a while later, Lu Stout and her team have got their shots canned.

This is the fourth day of their whirlwind Middle East tour and the crew comprises Lu Stout and London-based CNN producer Tom Hayes along with a Dubai-based camera team. They have come to the end of this very 'exciting and fascinating journey', as Lu Stout describes it.

Focusing on the UAE
Tomorrow, December 16, CNN unfolds the dynamic corporate and business strategies of the UAE, particularly of Dubai and Abu Dhabi, in its half-hour monthly programme Global Office.

The half-hour show travels the globe in search of the latest thinking and cutting-edge ideas in the business and corporate world. With the kind of quantum leap Dubai and Abu Dhabi have taken in recent times, it was inevitable they would attract the world's attention.

And Lu Stout, a Chinese-American with a journalism degree from San Francisco and a Masters in Mandarin Chinese from Beijing's Qinghua University, was chosen to capture Dubai and Abu Dhabi's giant strides for the world to see.

Stout, with her cross-cultural blend of ideas and education, is the savvy new face of CNN, an individual as grounded in her oriental roots as she is proud of her American identity.

The co-existence of these qualities allows her to expand her empathic understanding of the varied but conjoined business styles being practised around the world.

During her five years at CNN, Lu Stout has covered a wide range of China-related topics, including in-depth reports on the SARS crisis and the Chinese technology boom, in addition to reporting live from Beijing and Shanghai for CNN's Eye on China - a week-long special programme on the world's fastest growing economy.

She has also reported from destinations including Banda Aceh, Indonesia, Germany, Russia, the United States' Silicon Valley and South Korea.

Watching her go about her job, it is clear she blends an objective Western world view with an expansive oriental wisdom as she views the cultural intersections on the globe and interprets them for a global audience.

Her experience in the UAE has been just as rich and rewarding as her other interactions on earlier journalistic missions.

Globetrotting with Global Office
In these four days they (the CNN team) have managed to cover Dubai and Abu Dhabi comprehensively, interviewing personalities, looking at key issues, measuring the pace of development and interpreting the meaning of it all.

Dubai, quite simply has taken their breath away.

Says Stout: "We deeply study the business developments taking place all over the world and suggest our story ideas. Many a time, we are able to pre-empt developments and their impact with pinpoint accuracy in the Global Office.

"We try to give an overview of the place, cover issues such as Corporate Social Responsibility (CSR), philanthropy in business, talent scouting, social networks ... all this in an attempt to understand new developments taking place around the world.

"Every episode, we are in a different part of the world, be it the hot spots of commerce, the movie industry or sports. Or a story like this that is fast unfolding in the Middle East."

Stout says she always keeps an open, unbiased mind whenever she covers any country for the Global Office.

"We send in our ideas and are given a free hand to report what we see. There is no brief according to which we are expected to work. (It's more like) we are supposed to feel the pulse of the place and capture the reality. It is rather unfortunate that on a business programme like this, we cannot really capture much of the culture and heritage that really fascinated me (about the UAE)," she says with a twinge of regret.

A programme is born when the ideas are coordinated long distance between Lu Stout, who is in Hong Kong, and her producer, Tom Hayes, who lives in London, with a time stretch of idea development via e-mails and teleconferencing until everyone involved is convinced of the story and its worth, says Hayes.

During their four-day stay in the UAE, Stout went on a desert safari, and loved it. But she's eager to get back to Hong Kong, the city she says she is in love with, and looks forward to a steaming meal of dimsums at the China Club after working very hard to bring this segment of Global Office to the world.

Putting it all in perspective
Why Dubai? Stout is expecting the question and is ready with an answer. "We came here with a very open mind. Everyone today knows Dubai to be a city of iconic construction, known for its breakneck speed of business execution.

"It has moved away from oil and diversified into so many areas such as telecommunications, media, tourism, logistics, shipping, finance, real estate and is fuelling its dreams of being an international brand.

"Besides, we discovered that Abu Dhabi is a greater unfolding story.

"It is an industry leader and a city with a lot of wealth and assets. Did you know that Abu Dhabi is coming up with a Central Market district, a Guggenheim Museum, a Ferrari theme Park ... this is the untold story, Abu Dhabi as the high-end tourist destination." Lu Stout and her crew are obviously impressed with the lifestyle here.

The faces behind the vision
Stout has left but not before she confessed to being impressed with Emirati women. "I met some of the most incredible women here. I think women like Shaikha Lubna Al Qasimi, Minister of Economy, Amina Al Rostamani, CEO of Dubai Media City are intelligent, sensitive, articulate and present the new face of the Middle East.

"CEOs such as Mohammad Al Sayegh of Dolphin Energy and Mohammad Al Abbar of Emaar, among others that we met, came across as people with a deep sense of responsibility and commitment to their country and as people whose thoughts went far beyond the boardrooms.

"All the people we met for this programme are smart, articulate, witty, approachable and above all, inspiring." "This place has one of the most dynamic economies on the planet and I cannot imagine what it is going to look like in the next 10-15 years from now."

#3 Junk Junk.

Junk Junk.

CNN Anchor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,212 posts

Posted 15 May 2007 - 05:37 AM

Has Kristie been moved to the evenings? She has been doing WNA for a couple of days now.

#4 Guest_Hugo_*

Guest_Hugo_*
  • Guests

Posted 15 May 2007 - 02:04 PM

I don't think so. It's just Hugh is in Baghdad, Anjali is off and seems that CNN Today is the top priority in HK, so they keep two anchors on this morning show. And as Shakuntala is quite new yet, they put Kristie, who is more experienced, to handle the show all by herself. :wink:

#5 Spitfire

Spitfire

CNN Correspondent

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,034 posts

Posted 16 May 2007 - 03:05 PM

"How much would you pay for a pair of melon's?

Let me rephrase that I'm talking about fruit."

Kristie Lu today on WNA and showing why she will always have a place in my anchoring A-team. :lol:

#6 Ozzie Rosie

Ozzie Rosie

CNN Copy Editor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 615 posts

Posted 16 May 2007 - 10:43 PM

Though there aren't usually a lotta interviews on WNA, so I'm sure Shakuntala can handle WNA on her own too.
I'm Rosemary Church, thanks for your company. *SMILES*

#7 Junk Junk.

Junk Junk.

CNN Anchor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,212 posts

Posted 17 May 2007 - 05:33 AM

Here's my "A" list anchors of CNNI-
I only have have 4 favorites considering their overall packages.

Jim Clancy
Colleen McEdwards
Becky Anderson
Kristie Lu Stout

#8 Spitfire

Spitfire

CNN Correspondent

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,034 posts

Posted 03 June 2007 - 09:19 AM

I'm not sure what form the Future Summit with KLS will be but I'm very glad to see that CNN have given Kristie Lu the chance to Branch Out, looks fabulous in the promo :D
Quote of the week
Holmesy on Hala
"Do not adjust your set she really is that beautiful."
YWT 14th November 2006

#9 Spitfire

Spitfire

CNN Correspondent

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,034 posts

Posted 07 June 2007 - 09:53 AM

KLS in the wee hours showing off what I feel are great teeth. :D

http://i17.photobuck... ... s/kls1.jpg
Quote of the week
Holmesy on Hala
YWT 14th November 2006

#10 Spitfire

Spitfire

CNN Correspondent

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,034 posts

Posted 11 June 2007 - 08:53 AM

Early this morning KLS looked like this. :D

http://i17.photobuck.../CNNER/KLS1.jpg

I really appreciate High Class Dentistry :lol:
Quote of the week
Holmesy on Hala
YWT 14th November 2006

#11 Ozzie Rosie

Ozzie Rosie

CNN Copy Editor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 615 posts

Posted 13 June 2007 - 12:46 AM

Can't wait to see Kristie in Singapore! But it's all taped right? Given that she's still doing CNN Today this morning
I'm Rosemary Church, thanks for your company. *SMILES*

#12 Junk Junk.

Junk Junk.

CNN Anchor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,212 posts

Posted 18 June 2007 - 04:17 PM

i didn't enjoy the Future Summit this time as much as i did with Quest and Holmes.

#13 Spitfire

Spitfire

CNN Correspondent

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,034 posts

Posted 21 June 2007 - 01:34 PM

It was an absolute given that Kristie Lu would look fantastic on Future Summit but apart from that I thought the show lacked audience participation. My KLS caps from over 2years ago one Kristie in Singapore for Spark. :D

http://i17.photobuck... ... gapore.jpg
http://i17.photobuck... ... KLS1-1.jpg
Quote of the week
Holmesy on Hala
YWT 14th November 2006

#14 Mike

Mike

CNN V.J.

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 468 posts

Posted 04 July 2007 - 06:49 PM

She did a good job hosting the Future Summit.
I agree on the lack of participation by the public, but it turned out as an interesting event though.

Here's a funny pic of Ms. Stout:

http://www.pbase.com.../image/69273848 :D

#15 Spitfire

Spitfire

CNN Correspondent

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,034 posts

Posted 05 July 2007 - 10:40 AM

That's an interesting one Mike, I had to look twice to see if it really was KLS. :D
Quote of the week
Holmesy on Hala
YWT 14th November 2006

#16 Mike

Mike

CNN V.J.

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 468 posts

Posted 09 July 2007 - 08:54 AM

I read it somewhere online that Kristie is pregnant. :)

#17 Spitfire

Spitfire

CNN Correspondent

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,034 posts

Posted 09 July 2007 - 12:40 PM

I guess it might be true, anyway KLS was back this morning after 2 weeks away in which she told Hugh and viewers that she had been to the US west coast and it was steaming. :D
Quote of the week
Holmesy on Hala
YWT 14th November 2006

#18 Guest__*

Guest__*
  • Guests

Posted 09 July 2007 - 01:22 PM

I guess Riminton was referring to that when he made a joke at the final hour of Cnn today and told kristie that Boeing also pre-reserves '2 in 1' seats at the new Dreamliner. I didn't understand it at the time but now it makes sense. :)

#19 Junk Junk.

Junk Junk.

CNN Anchor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,212 posts

Posted 09 July 2007 - 02:22 PM

I guess Riminton was referring to that when he made a joke at the final hour of Cnn today and told kristie that Boeing also pre-reserves '2 in 1' seats at the new Dreamliner. I didn't understand it at the time but now it makes sense. :)

By that, you mean she might be pregnant??? Wow, i didn't even knew she was married!! :lol:

#20 Guest__*

Guest__*
  • Guests

Posted 09 July 2007 - 04:22 PM

[/quote]By that, you mean she might be pregnant??? Wow, i didn't even knew she was married!! :lol:[/quote]

I didn't say that she is pregnant, someone brought up the issue before. I just added that Hugh's joke this morning kinda relates to the possibility.

Kristie wears a ring on her left hand and according to this interview (she gave to a newspaper in 2001) she says she is engaged, so I guess 5 years passed she must be already married. Even though you don't necessarily need to be married to have babies...

Here's the link:
http://www.acm.org/u.../k_stout_1.html

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users