#1 David

David

CNN Copy Editor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 883 posts

Posted 01 November 2007 - 07:46 PM

Hey Guys!

Today, Kyra and Don were doing CNN Newsroom in a room which was pitch black, they zoomed out and it seemed like they were in an unclosed box. All black, the floors, walls and the only defining features happen to be Kyra, ( With GORGEOUS new hair coloring) and a TV that is in the center. Very good for interviews, they had 5 people in this box at the same time. During the newscast they went to Fredrika for a breaking news update and she was still at the breaking news desk in the newsroom. Anyone know if they are making an actual set for Atlanta's newsroom? If so, I am super excited! I probably wont be able to find any pictures as Vingo isnt simulcasting at this time.

Anyways, check it out if you can, its rather interesting. It could be a temporary thing, but thye seem to have put too much work into this for it to be temporary. The strange thing is that they have a camera sweeping the set, barely looking at the presenters or interviewee's. Very strange xS

#2 Richard

Richard

CNN Copy Editor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 886 posts

Posted 02 November 2007 - 07:36 PM

Sounds interesting, though I don't watch CNN/US myself. Perhaps if they do it again someone can get some caps (if they simulcast it on CNNI, which of course I really hope they don't, I'll try my best). :D

#3 cldsleyon

cldsleyon

CNN Viewer

• Members
  • Pip
  • 43 posts

Posted 02 November 2007 - 08:54 PM

Hey Guys!

Today, Kyra and Don were doing CNN Newsroom in a room which was pitch black, they zoomed out and it seemed like they were in an unclosed box. All black, the floors, walls and the only defining features happen to be Kyra, ( With GORGEOUS new hair coloring) and a TV that is in the center. Very good for interviews, they had 5 people in this box at the same time. During the newscast they went to Fredrika for a breaking news update and she was still at the breaking news desk in the newsroom. Anyone know if they are making an actual set for Atlanta's newsroom? If so, I am super excited! I probably wont be able to find any pictures as Vingo isnt simulcasting at this time.

Anyways, check it out if you can, its rather interesting. It could be a temporary thing, but thye seem to have put too much work into this for it to be temporary. The strange thing is that they have a camera sweeping the set, barely looking at the presenters or interviewee's. Very strange xS

It is not a new set. They probably just did it for the panel of guest that was talking about racism and the Kyra special on the "noose". CNN needs a new set, but I think when they go full HD by next year, is reasonable.

#4 David

David

CNN Copy Editor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 883 posts

Posted 05 November 2007 - 12:55 AM

Aww, that stinks! I was so excited for that time when I saw it. I really hope they re-vamp the CNN USA set, it's getting really old imo.

#5 Houston

Houston

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 4,138 posts

Posted 05 November 2007 - 08:53 PM

This may be the set you are talking about. They use it every so often.
Attached File  NR 110507.jpg   32.08KB   851 downloads

#6 Guest_cnn'er_*

Guest_cnn'er_*
  • Guests

Posted 24 November 2007 - 04:49 AM

the set you our looking at is behind the cameras to the left of the news desk. they used to have soft seating there with bookshelves in the back ground, and tan chairs

pic here. http://www.veronicad... ... 06_23.html

#7 David

David

CNN Copy Editor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 883 posts

Posted 01 December 2007 - 03:25 AM

the set you our looking at is behind the cameras to the left of the news desk. they used to have soft seating there with bookshelves in the back ground, and tan chairs

pic here. http://www.veronicad... ... 06_23.html

They could've used that for Gerri Willis' 'Open House' :P

#8 headliner101

headliner101

CNN V.J.

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 407 posts

Posted 03 January 2009 - 12:42 AM

Sometimes during the CNN Newsroom, the presenters present in an area overlooking the atrium. Is this the same spot or backdrop where some CNN Newscasts of the 1980s where presented?

Also, I believe it is high time for CNN to get a new newsroom (or a makeover of it at least). That kind of look in the newsroom has lasted the longest I've ever seen and no major changes (except for the plasma/LCD screens and weather centre).
CNN - The worldwide leader in news
CNN/I - Go beyond borders

#9 byron

byron

CNN V.J.

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 421 posts

Posted 15 February 2009 - 06:54 AM

Have they removed the "election centre" stuff from the NY broadcast centre?
I just saw some still images of AM and it looked pretty crappy but it could be a cap before they gave it a refresh with the election centre decor.

#10 headliner101

headliner101

CNN V.J.

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 407 posts

Posted 15 February 2009 - 06:56 AM

The look is back what it was in 2006.

#11 Charles

Charles

CNN Anchor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,270 posts

Posted 15 February 2009 - 08:35 AM

I just saw some still images of AM and it looked pretty crappy but it could be a cap before they gave it a refresh with the election centre decor.

I thought so, too. Though there's still some of it around, such as on the floor and in the newsroom. I guess they're slowly bringing it back. It's about time that they reverted back, but did the non-election arrangement of that set have a newsroom?

I was going to point this out in the CNNUS sub-forum a few days ago, but I didn't see a thread for CNNUS' studios like this one. Perhaps I'll make one now.

#12 Charles

Charles

CNN Anchor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,270 posts

Posted 15 February 2009 - 08:59 AM

The CNNI Studios thread is over 40 pages now, and I was surprised to not find a reciprocal thread for CNNUS' studios.

Since this is the first post, I might as well point out the different sets:

Atlanta has a a basic newsroom set, used for the aptly-named CNN Newsroom, as well as CNN Saturday Morning and CNN Sunday Morning. Cap credit to Houston:

CNNUS' Weather Center is also in Atlanta. Cloud decor adorns the Weather Center, which has a few desks and a rear projection display, which is also used at tight angles for other things. Here's a cap, once again from Houston:

Moving up the Atlantic seaboard, Washington has the infamous Situation Room, which features two large rear projection displays, a mural of the Washington monument, and various desks and stools. Here's a cap from me. I know it's not the best, but it's the quickest one I could find:

New York has a really impressive set. It features several rear projection displays, multiple flat screens, and a newsroom backdrop to the side. The set originally had a blue and bronze motif, but it was changed to have decor suiting the 2008 election. It looks like the original style is gradually coming back. Caps courtesy of kauefranqueirafan:

New York also has a special set for Lou Dobbs, which is in another studio. His set has a lot of wood, blue walls, and flat panel displays that incessantly play a loop of a waving American flag. I couldn't find a cap on here nor could I quickly find a decent cap elsewhere.

In addition, I think all three of these have LKL sets.

Los Angeles has a set with a rear projection and a soft area with couches in front of the display, and there's a LKL set across from it. Since LA doesn't broadcast any programs on a regular basis, I don't have a cap of it off hand.

So, with that out of the way, let's discuss CNNUS' sets:

In my opinion, Atlanta is in dire need of a refresh. The Newsroom set needs to be brought into the eighteenth century. The wood and black-and-white 3 inch TVs must be replaced with something newer. The DC set doesn't look so bad, and I like the way they use it. New York has a great set, and it's nice to see the election decor finally being phased out.

#13 headliner101

headliner101

CNN V.J.

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 407 posts

Posted 15 February 2009 - 09:39 AM

^^

Just a thought, what if the Atlanta newsroom would look like this:

http://www.lightwell...lio_tv_BBC.html

FYI: It is completely composed of videowalls so they can put either a newsroom backdrop or a video of one of the stories.

#14 Charles

Charles

CNN Anchor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,270 posts

Posted 15 February 2009 - 10:29 AM

^^^

I don't really care for the BBC News set. It obviously looks like a fake newsroom even upon first glance. It would be cooler if Atlanta renovated the space with a set like BBC World's, which has frosted glass in front of an actual newsroom, some nice red walls (which would match CNN Newsroom's graphics), and a well-utilized newswall. I think that is the best news set on television after Sky and AJE. For pics, ginnyfan put up some great caps in page 7 of the BBC thread on here.

#15 byron

byron

CNN V.J.

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 421 posts

Posted 15 February 2009 - 10:44 AM

It would be nice if they could copy the NY set up in Atlanta. Merge the studio and newsroom as one.
During CNN Newsroom you could have the presenter walk to a producer/reporter's desk and ask him about a perticular story or what's coming up kinda like how they did the primaries/election night coverage with Wolf or AC walking up to a group of pundits on a desk.

But if they wanna keep the current set up they should get a new desk/bit behind the desk and replace the CNN logos with a long LED screen and have a CNN logo loop (not like CNNI) and things like CNN=POLITICS or more @ cnn.com on it and for breaking news have it turn yellow and have BREAKING NEWS scroll across it.

#16 headliner101

headliner101

CNN V.J.

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 407 posts

Posted 15 February 2009 - 10:49 AM

Like I said, there is no way any network can beat Sky's new set.

It's weird why HD isn't available for programmes airing from CNN's Atlanta studio considering all master controls are located there.

#17 Shinta

Shinta

CNN V.J.

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 488 posts

Posted 15 February 2009 - 09:40 PM

I love the newsroom in Atlanta and I hope they never drop it. It is so iconic and is pure CNN. However, it badly does a need a makeover to bring into line with the rest of the network.

#18 tvnewsroomnz

tvnewsroomnz

CNN Viewer

• Members
  • Pip
  • 32 posts

Posted 16 February 2009 - 09:20 PM

Mate, it looked awful with all the election stuff. About time It was removed I say!

#19 ginnyfan

ginnyfan

• Moderators
  • 10,457 posts

Posted 16 February 2009 - 10:05 PM

I would only change the desk and all the wood and ugly screens around it. What's the point of it anyway???

I love the look of the newsroom.

The NY set is the best one the whole CNN has.
We'll back tomorrow , if they let us out of our cages. - Monita and Owen on CNN Today, 2008.

#20 Charles

Charles

CNN Anchor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,270 posts

Posted 16 February 2009 - 11:22 PM

I agree. If they put in a white, glassy desk like what New York has (see the 6th cap in my original post), a long table behind the desk in a similar style, and painted the blue ceiling at the top red with white CNN logos, then it would look great.

Reply to this topic

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Bing (1)