#1 David

David

CNN Copy Editor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 883 posts

Posted 22 November 2007 - 08:28 PM

Hey all,

I came home today and noticed that CNN is not using the traditional Newsroom until 1600, and The Situation Room isn't on from 1600 - 1900. I am assuming this is just a temporary schedule for Thanksgiving, but still, wouldn't it be wise to have a little bit of programming? What will they do for NITN?If they go to CNNi, i'll be one happy camper ;D

Not only that, this trend continues until 0600 on Friday xS

#2 Richard

Richard

CNN Copy Editor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 886 posts

Posted 22 November 2007 - 08:42 PM

Before I say anything else, please could I ask mistermartin75/Site Admin to sort out my account - in my very great stupidity, I decided to change the theme on my account back to the old one, and now I can't post (as mistermartin75 said in the announcements thread, I get a 'form error'). And it won't let me change back to the old one. Oops. :oops: :oops: :oops: Sorry!

Anyway, getting back to CNN. It looks like you've got a whole day of Special Investigations Unit (CNN SUI) David, instead of CNNI :( . What fun... not. :D Here's today's schedule(you'd better look soon - it'll have gone by tomorow!)

#3 Charles

Charles

CNN Anchor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,270 posts

Posted 19 August 2009 - 04:41 AM

An interesting article from ICN:

Bloody Repeats�
Last week repeats of MSNBC�s Countdown and The Rachel Maddow show beat AC360. Sure, it was just one week but it was the first time that Maddow�s repeat beat 360 in the Demo. Note: Thursday CNN aired the Amanpour Special but Anderson Cooper was in all week and did a live show on Thursday at 11pm.

So please, CNN, why don't you just run simulcasts of CNN International and be the only news channel in the United States to have live breaking news every night and 24 hours a day....you have nothing to lose.

Let me repeat: you have nothing to lose.

Edited by Charles, 17 August 2010 - 03:45 AM.

#4 Riceo

Riceo

CNN Copy Editor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 813 posts

Posted 20 August 2009 - 10:42 AM

Here's the deal, I wouldn't even expect all night simulcasts. Even an hour or two would be a great start. As you say, there's nothing really to lose. Unless they are bringing in a load of advertising dollars from the AC repeats, but I find that hard to believe. Who knows, a simple, worthwhile decision like this may just pay off for them!

#5 Charles

Charles

CNN Anchor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,270 posts

Posted 20 August 2009 - 10:36 PM

I just don't understand why they do it. I guess they just think that it's all "overnight hours" and that nobody's watching at that hour, but it's important in the case of breaking news, and they're also not "overnight hours" for us on the West Coast. CNN goes into taped programming at 9pm my time, 8pm on the coast, and 5pm in Honolulu. That's not a 24 hour news channel. Just simulcasting Anna and Don & Zain for a while would give them an edge since Fox and MSNBC can't provide live news at night. Only CNN can. Either simulcast CNNI at night, or even run "Amanpour" on a tape delay every night after AC instead of his "second hour".

#6 Riceo

Riceo

CNN Copy Editor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 813 posts

Posted 21 August 2009 - 12:31 AM

I remember a commercial for CNN a few years ago that touted their weekend news coverage. It went something like "news doesn't stop on the weekend, and nor do we"...

I wish someone would tell CNN that news doesn't stop at 11p eastern.

#7 Charles

Charles

CNN Anchor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,270 posts

Posted 21 August 2009 - 01:42 AM

I wish someone would tell CNN that news doesn't stop at 11p eastern.

Sadly, the only way this could change would be if Fox started broadcasting overnight bulletins from their bureau in London. :|

#8 excel99

excel99

CNN Anchor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,837 posts

Posted 21 August 2009 - 09:13 AM

I remember a commercial for CNN a few years ago that touted their weekend news coverage. It went something like "news doesn't stop on the weekend, and nor do we"...

Someone should tell that to CNNI

Just simulcasting Anna and Don & Zain for a while would give them an edge since Fox and MSNBC can't provide live news at night. Only CNN can.

Fox could always show Sky News UK

#9 Riceo

Riceo

CNN Copy Editor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 813 posts

Posted 23 August 2009 - 01:58 AM

Just using the Thursday numbers as an example, there was roughly 2.8 - 3.0 million viewers watching the cable news channels at 11pm. Surely a live news cast then would pull in a huge chunk of that for CNN, not the 540,000 they grabbed. (The Thursday numbers are in the ratings thread, BTW).

#10 Charles

Charles

CNN Anchor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,270 posts

Posted 23 August 2009 - 05:44 AM

Just simulcasting Anna and Don & Zain for a while would give them an edge since Fox and MSNBC can't provide live news at night. Only CNN can.

Fox could always show Sky News UK

...but that's something they've never done, and probably never will. FBN simulcasted Sky or Sky's business channel once or twice at night when the markets were falling through the sky last fall, but FNC never has simulcasted Sky as far as I know, and NewsCorp seems to like keeping Sky and Fox separate.

Just using the Thursday numbers as an example, there was roughly 2.8 - 3.0 million viewers watching the cable news channels at 11pm. Surely a live news cast then would pull in a huge chunk of that for CNN, not the 540,000 they grabbed. (The Thursday numbers are in the ratings thread, BTW).

The problem with the 11pm hour is that they originally had AC on for a second hour, but I guess they didn't want to devote the effort into it, so they cut the show back to an hour, yet they still pretend it's a two hour show when it isn't at all. I think it's a bad idea to have a rerun of a live show back to back, especially at a time when most of the country is still awake and watching TV, and it's even worse to continue advertising it as a live, two hour show. At 11pm, it would be a better idea to run Amanpour on a tape delay, and then run Anna at Midnight, two hours of Don & Zain, then an hour of WBT.

#11 excel99

excel99

CNN Anchor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,837 posts

Posted 23 August 2009 - 10:03 AM

FBN simulcasted Sky or Sky's business channel once or twice at night when the markets were falling through the sky last fall

I guess it would have been Sky, who did broadcast live from the City of London then. There is no UK Sky business channel, just one in Australia I think

#12 kk_kev

kk_kev

CNN Copy Editor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 995 posts

Posted 23 May 2010 - 04:49 PM

This thread is dedicated to the discussion about the current schedule and all changes/speculations/hypotheses regarding the schedule of CNN Domestic.

Current lineup for CNN Domestic as of May 2010 (all times in ET)

Weekdays
0600 American Morning w/ John Roberts and Kiran Chetry
0900 CNN NewsRoom w/ Kyra Philips
1100 CNN NewsRoom w/ Tony Harris
1300 CNN NewsRoom w/ Ali Velshi
1500 Rick's List w/ Rick Sanchez
1700 The Situation Room w/ Wolf Blitzer
1900 John Kong USA
2000 Campbell Brown (changes pending as Campbell is leaving CNN)
2100 Larry King Live
2200 Anderson Cooper 360
2300 Anderson Cooper 360 (Replay of 10p ET hour; LIVE if deemed necessary)
0000 Larry King Live (Replay)
0100 Anderson Cooper 360 (2-hour Replay)
0300 Larry King Live (Replay)
0400 Campbell Brown (Replay)
0500 Anderson Cooper (1-hour Replay; replaced by CNN NewsRoom replay on Mondays)

Saturday
0600 CNN Saturday/Sunday w/ TJ Holmes and another female CNN anchor/correspondent
0730 Sanjay Gupta MD
0800 CNN Saturday/Sunday w/ TJ Holmes and another female CNN anchor/correspondent
0930 Your Bottom Line w/ Poppy Harlow
1000 CNN NewsRoom
1300 Your $$$$ w/ Ali Velshi
1400 CNN NewsRoom
1800 The Situation Room (recorded; Best Of edition)
1900 CNN NewsRoom
2000 CNN Special Investigations Unit/CNN Presents/Other CNN documentaries or specials
2100 Larry King Live (Replay of one of the shows aired Mon-Fri)
2200 CNN NewsRoom
2300 (Overnight Replay; contents unclear)

Sunday
0600 CNN Saturday/Sunday w/ TJ Holmes and another female CNN anchor/correspondent
0730 Sanjay Gupta MD
0800 CNN Saturday/Sunday w/ TJ Holmes and another female CNN anchor/correspondent
0900 State of the Union with Candy Crowley (Live)
1000 Fareed Zakaria GPS (Taped)
1100 Reliable Sources w/ Howard Kurtz (Live)
1200 State of the Union with Candy Crowley (Live; Updated)
1300 Fareed Zakaria GPS (Taped)
1400 CNN NewsRoom
1500 Your $$$$ (Replay)
1600 CNN NewsRoom
2000 State of the Union with Candy Crowley (Replay)
2100 Larry King Live (Replay of one of the shows aired Mon-Fri)
2200 CNN NewsRoom
2300 State of the Union with Candy Crowley (Replay)
0000 Larry King Live (Replay of one of the shows aired Mon-Fri)
0100 CNN NewsRoom (Replay)
0200 State of the Union with Candy Crowley (Replay)
0300 Larry King Live (Replay of one of the shows aired Mon-Fri)
0400 Your $$$$ (Replay)
0500 CNN NewsRoom (replay)
previosuly kev

#13 Riceo

Riceo

CNN Copy Editor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 813 posts

Posted 26 May 2010 - 05:17 AM

It's not until you look at the schedule in that form when you realize that 8 hours of the 24 hour weekday is made up of Larry King and Anderson Cooper. That's a third of the day!

#14 Nelly

Nelly

CNN Copy Editor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 513 posts

Posted 27 May 2010 - 12:22 AM

Yes, it is a little disappointing that 1/3 of the schedule is made up of LKL and AC360. If CNNUS doesn't want to simulcast a couple of hours of CNNI overnight, I wish they would do a live CNN Newsroom for a couple of hours overnight. I know it would never happen, but it's something that would be appreciated by night owls like myself.
"The one function TV news performs very well is that when there is no news we give it to you with the same emphasis as if there were." (David Brinkley)

#15 newser

newser

CNN Correspondent

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,234 posts

Posted 27 May 2010 - 01:27 AM

And where have the overnight hourly news updates gone? I believe some years ago CNN US did have overnight anchors, but now they rely on CNNI's breaking news coverage if there's
a really big story outside of the US and if anything breaks in the US, looks like they are in big trouble anchor-wise (latest example - Times Square bomb). Anyway, there is a 7 hour gap each night during which "the worldwide leader in news" basically doesn't deliver news. And what hurts perhaps most is when AC promises to keep us "up to date throughout the night" on something and most of the time the next live update arrives with American Morning.

They really should do something with the newsless night problem.

#16 excel99

excel99

CNN Anchor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,837 posts

Posted 27 May 2010 - 09:38 AM

if anything breaks in the US, looks like they are in big trouble anchor-wise (latest example - Times Square bomb).

Theres not been any big issues with CNNI covering overnight US news has there? Obviously a bit wierd when US news comes from London but haven't CNN/US got bigger problems

#17 AExAVF

AExAVF

CNN Copy Editor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 698 posts

Posted 27 May 2010 - 11:37 AM

With that kind of schedule where a third of the 24-hour news cycle is peppered with reruns of Larry King Live and AC360, I can't help but laugh. And as long as Walton and Klein remain in charge, I won't expect any major changes to CNN/US's current programming, save for the impending vacancy to be created by Campbell Brown's departure.
"As an anchor Kate Bolduan has no equal; as a correspondent she has no known biases."
- lifted from the words of Victor Caroli as he describes Predaking in the files of Teletraan II.

#18 ginnyfan

ginnyfan

• Moderators
  • 10,457 posts

Posted 27 May 2010 - 11:11 PM

What's even worse is that CNN Newsroom replay on Monday. How can you replay a news bulletin, I can't imagine that on CNNI or BBC, it's ridiculous.

They could have live news all night long with CNNI, that's a big advantage they could have against all other US news channels but they are not using it. Instead you get replays of shows that very little people watch in their original slots.
We'll back tomorrow , if they let us out of our cages. - Monita and Owen on CNN Today, 2008.

#19 excel99

excel99

CNN Anchor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,837 posts

Posted 28 May 2010 - 09:29 AM

What's even worse is that CNN Newsroom replay on Monday. How can you replay a news bulletin, I can't imagine that on CNNI or BBC, it's ridiculous.

TSR on CNNI ;-) Though does show how stupid it is

Also the BBC (Domestic) News Channel does replay the first half of BBC World News America 30 minutes later. However they will cancel it if there is breaking news

Plus don't forget many stations replay US Broadcast news (CBS/ABC/NBC)

#20 Riceo

Riceo

CNN Copy Editor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 813 posts

Posted 30 May 2010 - 04:15 AM

The lack of any regular live news show or update between 11pm and 6am eastern is a poor showing. CNN has the people and resources to go live 24 hours a day if they wanted to. I guess it's just money that is the deciding factor.

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users