522 replies to this topic

#21 Charles

Charles

CNN Anchor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,270 posts

Posted 31 May 2010 - 08:25 AM

if anything breaks in the US, looks like they are in big trouble anchor-wise (latest example - Times Square bomb).

Theres not been any big issues with CNNI covering overnight US news has there? Obviously a bit wierd when US news comes from London but haven't CNN/US got bigger problems

Being an insomniac on the west coast, I have seen this in action quite a bit. CNN is better than Fox or MSNBC at keeping overnight viewers abreast of breaking news, but it's still not great.

Breaking news stories usually aren't mentioned at all from 11pm until American Morning at 6am. If the story is breaking from the US or is a reasonably large international story, then CNNI will cut in at the top of the hour and stay on for 5-15 minutes. If it is a US story, then Domestic will try to take it over if they can, either by having AC stay late (which is very rare) or starting AM early at 4am. But Domestic usually does nothing and lets CNNI handle it.

Tonight, with the boat in Israel, they've simulcasted the first 15 minutes or so of World Report from London with Don. They go back to the reruns in progress afterward. I'm not expecting much at 5am because even CNNI is in reruns then (Larry King) but I'm sure Monita will pop up for five minutes, maybe.

It's adequate, I guess, and it's better than Fox and MSNBC who hardly ever break in overnight, but it's still peanuts compared to the 24-hour news channel that they claim to be.

#22 excel99

excel99

CNN Anchor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,837 posts

Posted 31 May 2010 - 09:10 AM

Using the Israel example, I wonder why CNN/US aren't taking CNNI for longer. The coverage is there if they want it

#23 Charles

Charles

CNN Anchor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,270 posts

Posted 31 May 2010 - 09:17 AM

Perhaps I have the wrong impression, but isn't CNNI only spending about 15 minutes out of every half hour on the story anyway?

No update at 5am. Rerun of Newsroom instead. Meanwhile, MSNBC is live.

#24 newser

newser

CNN Correspondent

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,234 posts

Posted 31 May 2010 - 04:33 PM

Now this perhaps sounds interesting with regards to the 8 pm slot. Tonight (Monday) there's extra hour of TSR with special coverage of oil spill.

Hope they don't have TSR on their minds as a permanent solution. I mean, its not a bad newscast, but it has its own time slot that viewers (those that still tune in) are used to. Adding the extra hour, especially if there is John King USA in between at 7pm, would be confusing.

#25 alexcs

alexcs

CNN Copy Editor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 525 posts

Posted 31 May 2010 - 08:18 PM

I think it would be good for them to simulcast World Business Today at 8.00, the edition which is anchored by Colleen. Then at half past, contiuing the simulcast with CNNI, but not World Sport! Perhaps moving The Brief to this point would give a really decent international roundup on CNN US?

#26 kk_kev

kk_kev

CNN Copy Editor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 995 posts

Posted 21 June 2010 - 04:59 AM

I'm not sure, but IF (and a big if now, given all the Spitzer/Morgan hype) CNN does decide to move Sanchez to 8p ET to fill the void, then CNN/US can revamp their lineup like this (in ET):

3p World One (from CNN/I)
4p TSR
6p CNN Tonight (or simulcast World Report from CNN/I)
7p JKUSA
8p Rick's List
previosuly kev

#27 Junk Junk.

Junk Junk.

CNN Anchor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,212 posts

Posted 21 June 2010 - 01:21 PM

You'd think I'm a big bummer but our fancy for CNNi being simulcast in the US is sadly, an unattainable dream. :no:

#28 newser

newser

CNN Correspondent

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,234 posts

Posted 21 June 2010 - 10:32 PM

You'd think I'm a big bummer but our fancy for CNNi being simulcast in the US is sadly, an unattainable dream. :no:

I agree. The only chance of CNNI on CNN/US is simulcast in the overnight hours, but that's also a very slim chance, because they would rather replay AC360 and LKL for the west coast in those time slots. And its cheaper to have 6 or 7 hours of autoplay and extremely limited personnel working overnight, than having a full playout gallery team trying to fit CNN/US commercial blocks into CNNI's usually shorter commercial breaks.

#29 Charles

Charles

CNN Anchor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,270 posts

Posted 21 June 2010 - 10:39 PM

The only chance of CNNI on CNN/US is simulcast in the overnight hours, but that's also a very slim chance, because they would rather replay AC360 and LKL for the west coast in those time slots.

People often assume they do reruns throughout the night for those of us in the west coast, but really, it's more of a lack of thought for west coast viewers.

Larry King is on at 7pm for me, and AC360 is on at 8pm. Why would I want to watch a rerun of AC360 at 9pm and a rerun of Larry King at 10pm when they just ran those two shows? That makes no sense. If they really cared about west coast viewers, they'd have live programming beyond midnight ET.

#30 newser

newser

CNN Correspondent

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,234 posts

Posted 21 June 2010 - 11:27 PM

The only chance of CNNI on CNN/US is simulcast in the overnight hours, but that's also a very slim chance, because they would rather replay AC360 and LKL for the west coast in those time slots.

People often assume they do reruns throughout the night for those of us in the west coast, but really, it's more of a lack of thought for west coast viewers.

Oh, I was just stating what I think is in Jon Klein's head with regards to possible overnight CNNI simulcast and I should have made it clear. Otherwise, I definitely think the same, CNN (Fox and MSNBC as well) is underestimating its west coast audience by not having anything live on air after 8 or 9pm PT.

#31 Junk Junk.

Junk Junk.

CNN Anchor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,212 posts

Posted 22 June 2010 - 05:16 PM

Wow, I can only imagine. By 8pm, it's like all the news channels shut down and you guys have to be live with the same re-runs. God, i feel so lucky to get 24 hr news.. ;-) :mrgreen:

#32 excel99

excel99

CNN Anchor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,837 posts

Posted 23 June 2010 - 08:13 AM

Wierd since here in the UK both the domestic news channels have live news every hour overnight for at least the first 30 minutes of the hour

Surely CNN/US could at least take the 1amET/6amUK hour of World Report - since it is a full hour there is no need to worry about what to fill the last 30 minutes of the hour with. Still plenty of times for re-runs overnight

#33 kk_kev

kk_kev

CNN Copy Editor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 995 posts

Posted 11 August 2010 - 04:44 AM

Updated CNN/US weekday lineup, after the inclusion of Spitzer/Parker program and (according to rumours) Piers Morgan

0600 American Morning w/ John Roberts and Kiran Chetry
0900 CNN NewsRoom w/ Kyra Philips
1100 CNN NewsRoom w/ Tony Harris
1300 CNN NewsRoom w/ Ali Velshi
1500 Rick's List w/ Rick Sanchez
1700 The Situation Room w/ Wolf Blitzer
1900 John Kong USA
2000 Spitzer/Parker program (unnamed as yet)
2100 Piers Morgan show (possibly)
2200 Anderson Cooper 360
2300 Anderson Cooper 360 (Replay of 10p ET hour; LIVE if deemed necessary)
0000 Piers Morgan show (Replay)
0100 Anderson Cooper 360 (2-hour Replay)
0300 Piers Morgan show (Replay)
0400 Spitzer/Parker program (Replay)
0500 Anderson Cooper (1-hour Replay; replaced by CNN NewsRoom replay on Mondays)
previosuly kev

#34 Riceo

Riceo

CNN Copy Editor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 813 posts

Posted 15 September 2010 - 08:31 AM

I'm not usually up this early, but when I am I can't help but feel like banging my head up against the wall at the lack of live news from "the worldwide leader in news". I don't mind if it is a CNNI simulcast or a live news program for a couple of hours. I guess it's just browsing the web or waiting for the local news until the rest of the nation wakes up.

#35 Charles

Charles

CNN Anchor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,270 posts

Posted 12 November 2010 - 06:52 PM

How embarrassing.

http://www.mediabist...vered-it_b39416

#36 Lazlo

Lazlo

CNN Contributor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,039 posts

Posted 17 December 2010 - 01:42 AM

I noticed a topic for CNNI, so here's one for CNN US. Lots and lots of taped programming and repeats. I grabbed the list from the CNN Observations blog: http://cnnobservatio...s-marathon.html

Friday, December 24, 2010

6:00pm – 7:00pm - Dr. SANJAY GUPTA REPORTS – A CONVERSATION WITH MICHAEL J. FOX
10:00pm – 12:00am - CNN PRESENTS: AFTER JESUS

Saturday, December 25, 2010

1:00am – 3:00am - CNN PRESENTS: AFTER JESUS
4:00am – 6:00am - CNN PRESENTS: AFTER JESUS
2:00pm – 3:00pm - CNN PRESENTS: THE TWO MARYS
3:00pm – 4:00pm - CNN PRESENTS: THE MYSTERY OF JESUS
6:00pm – 8:00pm - CNN HEROES: AN ALL-STAR TRIBUTE
10:00pm – 12:00am - CNN HEROES: AN ALL-STAR TRIBUTE

Sunday, December 26, 2010

1:00am – 3:00am - CNN HEROES: AN ALL-STAR TRIBUTE
10:00am – 11:00am - RESTORING THE AMERICAN DREAM – A FAREED ZAKARIA GPS SPECIAL
1:00pm – 2:00pm - RESTORING THE AMERICAN DREAM – A FAREED ZAKARIA GPS SPECIAL

Friday, December 31, 2010

11pm – 1:00am - CNN NEW YEARS EVE LIVE WITH ANDERSON COOPER AND KATHY GRIFFIN

Saturday, January 1, 2011

2:00am – 4:00am - CNN NEW YEARS EVE LIVE WITH ANDERSON COOPER AND KATHY GRIFFIN
3:00pm – 5:00pm - ALMIGHTY DEBT: A BLACK IN AMERICA SPECIAL
5:00pm – 6:00pm - TOXIC TOWNS USA
6:00pm – 7:00pm - LOSING LENNON – COUNTDOWN TO MURDER
7:00pm – 8:00pm - IN AMERICA: GARY & TONY HAVE A BABY
8:00pm – 10:00pm - HER NAME WAS STEVEN
10:00pm – 11:00pm - TALIBAN
11:00pm – 1:00am - ATLANTA CHILD MURDERS
1:00am – 2:00am - LOSING LENNON – COUNTDOWN TO MURDER
2:00am – 3:00am - TALIBAN
3:00am – 5:00am - ATLANTA CHILD MURDERS
5:00am – 6:00am - LOSING LENNON – COUNTDOWN TO MURDER

#37 newser

newser

CNN Correspondent

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,234 posts

Posted 17 December 2010 - 11:19 PM

Until Piers Morgan Tonight starts, Anderson Cooper will be (presumably with AC360) hosting the 9pm ET hour on CNN US. That could mean, if AC360 keeps its usual replay slots and takes over LKL's replay slots, that we'll see Anderson Cooper for as much as 8 hours! :rolleyes:

#38 excel99

excel99

CNN Anchor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,837 posts

Posted 17 December 2010 - 11:24 PM

Part of the period coincides with the Haiti earthquake one year anniversary, so it might not be such a bad thing - they will be able to do something worthwhile with the extra time

#39 Junk Junk.

Junk Junk.

CNN Anchor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,212 posts

Posted 18 December 2010 - 04:36 PM

Until Piers Morgan Tonight starts, Anderson Cooper will be (presumably with AC360) hosting the 9pm ET hour on CNN US. That could mean, if AC360 keeps its usual replay slots and takes over LKL's replay slots, that we'll see Anderson Cooper for as much as 8 hours! :rolleyes:

I guess that starts after New year right? The next two weeks would be Larry's greatest interviews?

#40 newser

newser

CNN Correspondent

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,234 posts

Posted 18 December 2010 - 06:03 PM

I guess that starts after New year right? The next two weeks would be Larry's greatest interviews?

That's correct.

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users