118 replies to this topic

#1 Nexties

Nexties

CNN V.J.

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 321 posts

Posted 25 January 2008 - 01:56 AM

Link: Ali Velshi (Transcript in advance for CNNfans)

CNN's Senior Business Correspondent and co-host of Your $$$$$ (Money) is on the road in CNN's Election Express. Velshi will travel from South Carolina to California in 6 days, 9 states and 2600 miles. He will talk to the voters in these states about the economy and other issues at the forefront for them.

Posted Image

#2 xgrinch

xgrinch

CNN Correspondent

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,418 posts

Posted 27 November 2008 - 01:11 PM

http://pics.livejour...ch/pic/00kh5z96

http://pics.livejour...ch/pic/00kh6cgg

http://pics.livejour...ch/pic/00kh7epw

#3 Morpium

Morpium

CNNFan.org Hero

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,260 posts

Posted 02 December 2008 - 11:35 PM

.:Source: CNN Observations
.:Link: Click here for full article

Dustin reports that Ali Velshi has a new job title - "Chief Business Correspondent".

#4 Houston

Houston

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 4,138 posts

Posted 22 December 2008 - 03:44 PM

Another example of unprofessional CNN.

This blatherer had a show this weekend "Gimme My Money Back". Is it coincidence he has a book coming out titled "Gimme my Money Back" ?

CNN airtime as infomercial.

#5 Paul

Paul

CNN Intern

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 202 posts

Posted 22 December 2008 - 05:13 PM

Yeah I saw that. He really bugs me, he's always like hyper, yelling, and fast-talking. It drives me nuts. I can never listen to his voice.

#6 Nuggle

Nuggle

CNN Correspondent

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,375 posts

Posted 13 May 2009 - 11:29 AM

Pretty lengthy profile on Ali Velshi. You can read the rest, if you're really that interested, from the link below.

People are always popping out of nowhere wanting to talk to Ali Velshi.

On West 58th St., near CNN's Manhattan studios, a man in a ball cap and jeans, his yellow shirt-tails hanging out, calls out to Velshi, the network's chief business correspondent.

"Hi, Ali," he says, looking as pleased as if he's run into an old friend.

"I like your show. You've got some good tips on it."

A short time later, the Toronto-raised broadcaster is the newsroom at the Time Warner Center when someone pays a courtesy call.

It's T. Boone Pickens, the 80-year-old billionaire Texas oilman and born-again advocate for renewable energy.

Pickens, who has made and lost fortunes several times over, has become a missionary preaching to America about reducing its dependence on "foreign oil" and promoting the benefit of wind farms.

Why visit Velshi? The broadcaster has access to opinion makers and an audience that numbers in the millions. "Just trying to stay in touch," Pickens says at the end of a friendly, 30-minute conversation.

It's been that way since the economy turned sour last year: U.S. business leaders dropping by, just to stay in touch. And over the course of the turbulent winter and anxious spring, through the U.S. government bailout program, the collapse of venerable financial institutions, the credit freeze, the decline in consumer spending and the loss of millions of jobs, Velshi, 39, has become one of CNN's most recognized and valued stars.

He is also the author of a new book, Gimme My Money Back, a guide for investors ready to rebuild after the collapse of the financial markets. It's a slim, how-to volume, quickly written 40 days from inception to publication.

With his three-piece suit, surprising plaid shirts and smooth, hairless head, Velshi is easy to recognize when he's out on the street. And people are always asking him things like, "Should I sell my GM stock?" or "Has the market hit bottom?"

"I don't really give'tips,' " he says, explaining that his work is more "macro." He is an interpreter of the economy, pointing out trends and giving context.

Velshi dispenses his analysis as co-host of the weekend business show Your $$$$$, host of the weekly radio/online call-in program The Ali Velshi Show, and regular commentator on The Situation Room with Wolf Blitzer, Anderson Cooper 360 , and other local, national and international news shows.

Next month, he's back home, speaking at ideaCity, Toronto's annual gathering of leading thinkers.

Velshi doesn't have the square-jawed appeal of the late Peter Jennings of ABC World News Tonight, nor the boyish good looks of CNN American Morning anchor John Roberts both, like him, Canadians who rose to the top in U.S broadcasting. "I have no angles on my face," Velshi laments. "I look like a boiled egg."

But with his rich baritone voice, his personable style and his distinctive, friendly appearance, he has on-air charisma. "It's called 'Q,' explains Amanda Lang, co-anchor of the business/politics show SqueezePlay on Canada's Business News Network. "It's likeability, a measure of how popular someone is with an audience. Oprah has off-the-charts Q. It's not about how beautiful you are, it's about viewers liking you, and he's always had it."

#7 Riceo

Riceo

CNN Copy Editor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 813 posts

Posted 23 June 2009 - 06:09 AM

He's doing Sanchez's hour all this week.

#8 Nelly

Nelly

CNN Copy Editor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 513 posts

Posted 14 July 2009 - 02:03 PM

TV Newser has a bit of an article of Ali Velshi.

"The one function TV news performs very well is that when there is no news we give it to you with the same emphasis as if there were." (David Brinkley)

#9 Charles

Charles

CNN Anchor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,270 posts

Posted 07 August 2009 - 09:42 PM

Posted Image

#10 Jon

Jon

CNN Contributor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,178 posts

Posted 10 August 2009 - 11:51 PM

#11 Jon

Jon

CNN Contributor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,178 posts

Posted 26 December 2009 - 02:49 AM

Well, I'll be honest, I never thought too highly of him - especially when he takes over Rick's hour of Newsroom.

But has he proved me wrong today. Excellent coverage of the attempted terrorist attack today in the United States. He definitely proved himself as a capable anchor.

He just needs to stay away from Rick Sanchez. That guy is tarnishing his image.

#12 AExAVF

AExAVF

CNN Copy Editor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 698 posts

Posted 26 December 2009 - 03:15 AM

My thoughts exactly.

I guess it can be said that CNN's personalities do have hidden surprises - their talents are buried deep within and just when we never expect to see it live, it just comes out of them. And Ali Velshi happens to do just that, with his current coverage of the attempted terror attack.
"As an anchor Kate Bolduan has no equal; as a correspondent she has no known biases."
- lifted from the words of Victor Caroli as he describes Predaking in the files of Teletraan II.

#13 ginnyfan

ginnyfan

• Moderators
  • 10,459 posts

Posted 26 December 2009 - 12:32 PM

I agree, it was a pleasant surprise.
We'll back tomorrow , if they let us out of our cages. - Monita and Owen on CNN Today, 2008.

#14 Gruffny

Gruffny

CNN Correspondent

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,619 posts

Posted 28 December 2009 - 05:30 PM

Interview with Ali regarding his coverage.

http://www.mediaite....ls-career-night
Let's put the NEWS back into Cable NEWS Network.
less World Sport, more World Report.

#15 Riceo

Riceo

CNN Copy Editor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 813 posts

Posted 07 January 2010 - 06:35 PM

Following the news that Heidi's contract won't be renewed, TV Newser reports CNN will be moving its chief business correspondent, Ali Velshi, to the 1-3pmET "CNN Newsroom" time slot.

#16 excel99

excel99

CNN Anchor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,837 posts

Posted 07 January 2010 - 09:35 PM

That will make any future lives on QMB impossible then sadly. But from what Ive seen off him on CNNI, both as a correspondent, and when CNN Newsroom was simulcast during the Tiger Woods story, he seems more than capable so congratulations to him. And of course he has been wildy praised after Christmas Day

#17 AExAVF

AExAVF

CNN Copy Editor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 698 posts

Posted 08 January 2010 - 12:52 AM

This is a great promotion for him indeed. He has definitely proved his capability as an anchor not only for business news, but news in general. Congrats to him, he's earned it.

Although, that would mean no live appearances on CNNI, especially on QMB. But I do hope he'll appear on CNNI from time to time.
"As an anchor Kate Bolduan has no equal; as a correspondent she has no known biases."
- lifted from the words of Victor Caroli as he describes Predaking in the files of Teletraan II.

#18 ginnyfan

ginnyfan

• Moderators
  • 10,459 posts

Posted 08 January 2010 - 08:56 AM

So he'll move to Atlanta?

Wonder who will replace him as CNN's biz expert.
We'll back tomorrow , if they let us out of our cages. - Monita and Owen on CNN Today, 2008.

#19 AExAVF

AExAVF

CNN Copy Editor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 698 posts

Posted 08 January 2010 - 10:29 AM

So he'll move to Atlanta?

Wonder who will replace him as CNN's biz expert.

He'll remain as Chief Business Correspondent and continue to host his weekend business show.

Following the news that Heidi's contract won't be renewed, TV Newser reports CNN will be moving its chief business correspondent, Ali Velshi, to the 1-3pmET "CNN Newsroom" time slot.

#20 AExAVF

AExAVF

CNN Copy Editor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 698 posts

Posted 27 January 2010 - 03:54 AM

From AC360.

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users