319 replies to this topic

#41 Arrapare

Arrapare

CNN Copy Editor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 998 posts

Posted 14 September 2009 - 01:27 PM

guys I think maybe jono might just do his politcs show and be a reporter for CNNI that does a lot of political reports. he is good in that role don;t you think? I just wish cnn will let him report on politics around the world cuz all America politics all the time is boring. :oops:
My forum friends on twitter:
yazmanian_devil morpium Leroy greekdude ginnyfan peramirez dezbee2008 goursote Spitfire
My CNN friends on twitter:
Jennifer delgado Kristie Lu Stout Jim clancy Rosemary Church Kyra Philips Mark McKay Errol Barnett Backstory
http://www.twitter.com/arrapare

#42 Charles

Charles

CNN Anchor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,270 posts

Posted 14 September 2009 - 10:15 PM

^^^

Perhaps that's the case. He didn't have a regular slot after they axed Insight, did he? He only got a regular slot until a year ago with Colleen, right?

#43 ginnyfan

ginnyfan

• Moderators
  • 10,459 posts

Posted 14 September 2009 - 11:04 PM

He did World News at 1400 cet, 0800 Atlanta time.
We'll back tomorrow , if they let us out of our cages. - Monita and Owen on CNN Today, 2008.

#44 Spitfire

Spitfire

CNN Correspondent

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,034 posts

Posted 14 September 2009 - 11:10 PM

After Insight was axed they incorporated it into YWT for a while where JM would do a little 5 segment an hour, worked quite well actually.
Quote of the week
Holmesy on Hala
"Do not adjust your set she really is that beautiful."
YWT 14th November 2006

#45 Charles

Charles

CNN Anchor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,270 posts

Posted 22 September 2009 - 01:53 AM

^^^

I remember that now. Thanks.

First time doing iDesk:

Posted Image

#46 AExAVF

AExAVF

CNN Copy Editor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 698 posts

Posted 22 September 2009 - 02:35 AM

As some of you know, Jonathan Mann was CNN's Paris correspondent in the 1980s. I found a YouTube clip of one of his reports from that era:

W6V9U6jMJD4

Wow...I never knew that he's been with CNN that long, much like everyone who joined the network in the 80's. Thanks for that clip, by the way.

---

I managed to watch I-Desk with Jon anchoring, and have to say it's very refreshing to see new faces on the program.
"As an anchor Kate Bolduan has no equal; as a correspondent she has no known biases."
- lifted from the words of Victor Caroli as he describes Predaking in the files of Teletraan II.

#47 .DC

.DC

CNN Intern

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 96 posts

Posted 25 September 2009 - 01:20 AM

Oh, I'd like to see him on I-Desk. I really like Jonathan.

#48 heydaywcnn

heydaywcnn

CNN Intern

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 95 posts

Posted 29 September 2009 - 03:11 PM

Does anyone here know what time Jon anchors his shows currently?

I was really glad to see Jon host I-Desk Asia primetime lastweek when Isha was away for her covering U.N meeting for a while. Now that she's come back and started doing her original stuffs at I-Desk, Jon seems to have been kicked out of the show. I'm so upset. Today, Jon presented WR Asia and it doesn't appear to be his fixed slot.

I hope he will have his own show, particularly the one for Asian primetime... I mean former YWT time.
I miss him and Colleen hosting YWT together. They were best of best.

Anyways, it's interesting to see Jon's clip containing his days in Paris in 1980s. I did know that he was based in Paris for some years but didn't know when he was there. In my view, he looks better right now than 1980s.

I remember him hosting World News Hour from 1997~2001. At that time, he co-anchored the primetime news at 7CET with Fionnuala in London and there was his own show called American Edition as well.
This period was the best time for me as far as I remember Jon at CNN.

I'm wondering if Jon and Fionnuala are still close and friendly with each other as they were in the past.
Have you ever seen them talk to each other for the last few months?
I really want to see them back together.

#49 ginnyfan

ginnyfan

• Moderators
  • 10,459 posts

Posted 29 September 2009 - 09:35 PM

I don't ever remember seeing them on air together in this decade, or since the revamp of 2001. But they probably did interact when he was reporting about the election and Fiounnala anchoring WNE.
We'll back tomorrow , if they let us out of our cages. - Monita and Owen on CNN Today, 2008.

#50 Charles

Charles

CNN Anchor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,270 posts

Posted 30 September 2009 - 03:46 AM

Jon and Fionnuala together in 1997:
Posted Image
No, this isn't a cap I made myself, just a cap I made off this video on YouTube.

Here are also the open and close of American Edition. He has aged well.

Jon is one of those anchors at CNN that has so much international experience yet is so under-utilized at the channel that I can't help but wonder if he would be better off working for another channel. Just look at how much better Shihab Rattansi and Andrea Sanke did after they switched to other channels. I wonder if Jon would be the same.

#51 Morpium

Morpium

CNNFan.org Hero

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,260 posts

Posted 19 October 2009 - 11:12 PM

International Desk, Monday...

(click to enlarge)

#52 Nuggle

Nuggle

CNN Correspondent

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,375 posts

Posted 20 October 2009 - 06:40 AM

^^ That's a nice cap of Jon, thanks Morpy. Jonathan really does a good job on Idesk.

#53 AExAVF

AExAVF

CNN Copy Editor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 698 posts

Posted 12 November 2009 - 04:07 PM

And he's anchoring The Brief as well, since Jim's on vacation. Jonathan's impressive on both I-Desk and The Brief. :Yes:
"As an anchor Kate Bolduan has no equal; as a correspondent she has no known biases."
- lifted from the words of Victor Caroli as he describes Predaking in the files of Teletraan II.

#54 Morpium

Morpium

CNNFan.org Hero

• Members
  • 5,260 posts

Posted 13 December 2009 - 02:59 AM

Jonathan pulled a bit of a crowd for his Nobel special.

(click to enlarge)

#55 Nuggle

Nuggle

CNN Correspondent

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,375 posts

Posted 14 December 2009 - 06:28 AM

It was good to see Jonathan out on the road and out of the studio. It's been quite nice this year to see CNNI allowing anchors to travel out of their usual haunts.

#56 Morpium

Morpium

CNNFan.org Hero

• Members
  • 5,260 posts

Posted 24 December 2009 - 07:52 AM

Jonathan hosted Prism, from Atlanta, on Wednesday.

(click to enlarge)

#57 Charles

Charles

CNN Anchor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,270 posts

Posted 04 January 2010 - 04:23 AM

I came across the video below on YouTube in which some Norwegian journalism students interviewed Jon. I thought it was very interesting, and he seems like a really nice guy.

I know Obama eventually cancelled his interview, but in this video, Jon says he's "very disappointed" he didn't get the interview. (Christiane was supposed to do it instead.)

#58 Jon

Jon

CNN Contributor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,178 posts

Posted 04 January 2010 - 05:51 AM

I feel so sorry for Jon. He's an excellent journalist and anchor and has been loyal to the network for years, yet they still shaft him by not giving him the interview with Obama.

What a damn shame.

#59 ginnyfan

ginnyfan

• Moderators
  • 10,459 posts

Posted 04 January 2010 - 12:34 PM

Shame on CNN and Amanpor. At least I'm glad Obama canceled the whole thing so she didn't get it either. :evil:

#60 Junk Junk.

Junk Junk.

CNN Anchor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,212 posts

Posted 04 January 2010 - 03:53 PM

Shame on CNN and Amanpor. At least I'm glad Obama canceled the whole thing so she didn't get it either. :evil:

I think Obama's the bad guy here, even though now empathies to Amanpour. Just because he's the president he had the privilege to cancel the interview. I was with McCain anyway. ;-) :mrgreen:

Reply to this topic

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Bing (1)