42 replies to this topic

#1 Richard

Richard

CNN Copy Editor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 886 posts

Posted 07 March 2008 - 10:36 PM

Here's the press release... Chile seems a bit of a random country to start a new channel. :shock:

Turner Latin America, VTR Sign Strategic Accord to Launch CNN Chile

Turner Broadcasting System (TBS) Latin America, Inc., the division of TimeWarner, Inc. responsible for CNN's commercial operations in Latin America, and VTR, a division of Liberty Global Inc., will partner to launch CNN Chile, the first 24-hour, pay television news network specifically programmed for the Chilean market. The channel is scheduled to debut this year on VTR and will be available to other pay television systems.

CNN Chile will be produced and presented by Chileans for Chileans and broadcast from studios in Santiago. In addition to a fully staffed local news production center, CNN Chile will have complete access to CNN Worldwide's newsgathering resources including the support of 4,000 journalists based around the globe. Both joint-venture partners are committed to producing a news channel that is objective, independent and of the highest professional standards. CNN Chile will be operated by a locally based management team following all CNN's globally acclaimed journalistic and editorial guidelines.

Edit: For anyone who can understand Spanish, here's a newspaper article:

http://www.mer.cl/mo...EB002BB1402.htm

#2 Ozzie Rosie

Ozzie Rosie

CNN Copy Editor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 615 posts

Posted 12 May 2008 - 08:37 PM

Here's a translation of the main article, guys. Apologies for any mistakes made.

CNN Chile: the first 24-hour news channel will debut in the second half of the year

This is the first joint-venture of this type between CNN and a Latin American operator.

In five months' time or more, the first 24-hour news channel will commence its transmission in the country: CNN Chile. The project was announced yesterday and is a result of a joint-venture between VTR and CNN to create a television channel. VTR and CNN will be equal owners.

The agreement was signed in Santiago Tuesday night, between the president of the cable operator Mauricio Ramos and the CEO of Turner Broadcasting System Latin America - which owns CNN - Juan Carlos Urdaneta.

The negotiations were formalized and agreed upon three weeks ago, and the work to materialize the project had commenced long before that. An extensive team consisting members from both VTR and CNN worked to bring this project to a good start. A source confirms that a pre-agreement had already been signed in 2005.

"CNN Chile", which for CNN is pioneering since it is its first cooperative project with a Latin American company, will be broadcast initially only on VTR's systems. VTR reaches 800,000 households and is owned by Liberty Global of the US (80%) as well as Cristalerias of Chile. The administration of the channel will be in the hands of Chilean professionals while the editorial team will be headed by the industry don Patricio Hernandez, formerly the Director of Programming at Channel 13.

Programs will be broadcast from studios that will be constructed specially in Santiago. The network will have access to the resources of CNN International.

The investment, according to well-acquainted sources in the industry, involves a little less than US$8 million, which will be spent in the first five months.

It is estimated by industry sources that the news department of Channel 13 spends around $15 million daily, or US$32 million. However, sources related to CNN Chile highlight that a project like this does not need enormous facilities like a general television channel, especially since the channel can make use of modern technology and operate with little more than a few square meters. A good example of this is Telecanal, located in an office building in the capital.

Although transmission begins in the second half of the year, those working on the project had already started work since the 1 March.

Why Chile?

Although this will be a first for CNN in Latin America, the U.S. based network has already established affiliates worldwide, such as CNN+ in Spain, CNN Turk in Turkey, CNNj in Japan and CNN-IBN in India. In these countries, these networks are one of the five most watched channels.

Sources linked to the CNN Chile project revealed that Chile was chosen by CNN for at least two important reasons. One of them is the absence of all-news channels in the country. This reason attracted many U.S. investors. The second reason is the political and economic stability Chile provides, in addition to the maturity of the Chilean market. The local TV sector is a good place to start news businesses, even with its high barriers to entry.

Another factor is the high TV penetration in the country.

Today, there are around one million households connected in Chile.
I'm Rosemary Church, thanks for your company. *SMILES*

#3 peramirez

peramirez

CNN V.J.

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 352 posts

Posted 11 February 2009 - 05:19 PM

In case someone wants to watch the very first minutes of CNN Chile on the air, here's a YouTube video I found:

CNN Chile started broadcasting on December 4, 2008.
"This new management is not one that tolerates any questions. The changes are alienating the public who has been loyal to the network for so many years. They're looking for a new audience. But if you read the comments on the social network sites, the viewers are not pleased with what they see on the air."
Former CNÑer Alberto Padilla to MediaMoves.com

#4 Charles

Charles

CNN Anchor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,270 posts

Posted 11 February 2009 - 10:54 PM

Thanks for that, peramirez. It's nice having someone like you on here to represent CNN's spanish networks.

#5 peramirez

peramirez

CNN V.J.

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 352 posts

Posted 05 March 2009 - 03:22 PM

CNN Chile now has its own website: http://www.cnnchile.com.
Here's a screenshot:

"This new management is not one that tolerates any questions. The changes are alienating the public who has been loyal to the network for so many years. They're looking for a new audience. But if you read the comments on the social network sites, the viewers are not pleased with what they see on the air."

#6 Shinta

Shinta

CNN V.J.

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 488 posts

Posted 09 March 2009 - 06:45 PM

In case someone wants to watch the very first minutes of CNN Chile on the air, here's a YouTube video I found:

XvFXLGaZ-C4

CNN Chile started broadcasting on December 4, 2008.

Thanks for posting this. I love it! I really like that newsroom!

#7 David

David

CNN Copy Editor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 883 posts

Posted 09 March 2009 - 08:53 PM

Wow! Excellent job on CNNc! The newsdesk and graphics packages look great together. Thanks for the video!

#8 Riceo

Riceo

CNN Copy Editor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 813 posts

Posted 21 March 2009 - 06:31 AM

peramirez, you have outdone yourself again. Thanks for sharing this video with us. I'm glad I watched. Very nice.

#9 Gruffny

Gruffny

CNN Correspondent

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,619 posts

Posted 07 January 2010 - 10:55 AM

Does anyone have a stable link to watch this channel online?
Let's put the NEWS back into Cable NEWS Network.
less World Sport, more World Report.

#10 peramirez

peramirez

CNN V.J.

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 352 posts

Posted 17 January 2010 - 10:07 PM

Today's election day in Chile and during a simulcast in CNNE, I noticed they had different graphics. Apparently, they're weeks old now, so sorry for missing the scoop:

Oh! And that guy apparently is their Larry King. I'm not talking about the way he looks. He has an interview show.
The white and black CNN Chile logo means that it was taken from the CNN Chile website, it's not part of their TV graphics.

#11 Leeroy

Leeroy

CNN Anchor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,771 posts

Posted 23 January 2010 - 10:47 AM

I know I'm late, but thanks for that video. I wonder if the black boxed CNN logo in the bottom right is trying to match something like CNN US?

#12 Lazlo

Lazlo

CNN Contributor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,039 posts

Posted 25 January 2010 - 05:30 AM

There's a few details on the new branding at the link below.

#13 peramirez

peramirez

CNN V.J.

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 352 posts

Posted 27 February 2010 - 04:46 PM

CNN Chile is live on Channel 2 of CNN.com/Live following the coverage of the earthquake that hit the country this morning.

#14 Thok

Thok

CNN V.J.

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 379 posts

Posted 28 June 2010 - 04:21 PM

Why won't work the offical live stream ?
http://www.cnnchile.com/videos-vtr

#15 peramirez

peramirez

CNN V.J.

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 352 posts

Posted 28 June 2010 - 05:52 PM

I think it's only accesible to clients of VTR's internet service. I'm not sure, though.

#16 Thok

Thok

CNN V.J.

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 379 posts

Posted 28 June 2010 - 07:28 PM

A possibility, would be unfortunate tough because the stream was previously available via Real Player.

#17 Thok

Thok

CNN V.J.

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 379 posts

Posted 21 July 2010 - 10:19 AM

The live stream is available again.

#18 Thok

Thok

CNN V.J.

• Members