84 replies to this topic

#1 Beano

Beano

CNN V.J.

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 472 posts

Posted 15 April 2008 - 09:05 AM

As Wikipedia describes it: CNBC (an abbreviation for the "Consumer News and Business Channel", its official name until 1991) is a group of cable and satellite television business news channels from the U.S., owned and operated by NBC Universal.

I am not familiar with CNBC's operations in the US but here in Europe it consists of one channel that shows a lot of business programs, some talkshows and a few other informative programs. A long, long, long time ago it was actually called NBC Super Channel over here.

CNBC is probably the second news channel that I watch on a regular basis besides CNNI. I have an interest in business reporting and I like CNBC's programs in that area. It's always dynamic and it makes for amusing and interesting television. Very different that CNNI but good in a different manner. Also: some of it's anchoresses are rather easy on the eyes. A few examples:

Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

edit: I should probably remove Maria Bartiromo from that list though. I just saw her reporting from Qatar with the ugliest sunglasses known to man. So ugly that we should probably all be glad that I can't make screencaps to post here. :shock: :lol:

#2 Charles

Charles

CNN Anchor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,270 posts

Posted 24 April 2008 - 05:14 AM

My dad is a religious viewer of CNBC. He always watches it in the morning during the opening bell, when he comes home for his lunch hour, and after work. It's also the only thing he'll watch when we're on vacation in a hotel room, which is sort of frustrating because it gets boring after a while. However, I'm mildly interested in business, and I think it's a great channel for that, and it definitely is better than Bloomberg in terms of production.

#3 Ozzie Rosie

Ozzie Rosie

CNN Copy Editor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 615 posts

Posted 24 April 2008 - 01:37 PM

I love CNBC graphics though.
I'm Rosemary Church, thanks for your company. *SMILES*

#4 Jon

Jon

CNN Contributor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,178 posts

Posted 30 July 2008 - 06:56 AM

I wish CNN would try a program that has the same basis as "World Wide Exchange". Have one anchor from the U.S., Asia, and Europe covering the latest international news simultaneously.

#5 Beano

Beano

CNN V.J.

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 472 posts

Posted 13 November 2008 - 08:35 PM

I have decided that I am going to combine my Hala-fandom with some mild Erin Burnett-idolising. I have been watching Street Signs very often the last couple of months and I think that she is a great anchor with a lot of knowledge on the financial world and a good sense of humour. And I am sort of fascinated by the fast paced way that all the CNBC-anchors do their work. They seem to be interviewing multiple people every five minutes on their shows, and they always go very much in depth on the subjects they talk about.

Also in this time of financial uncertainty, I think it might be a good idea to diversify my anchor-worshipping portfolio by investing time in watching both Hala and Erin. :mrgreen: :wink:

#6 zack10

zack10

CNN V.J.

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 339 posts

Posted 16 November 2008 - 07:37 PM

I have decided that I am going to combine my Hala-fandom with some mild Erin Burnett-idolising. I have been watching Street Signs very often the last couple of months and I think that she is a great anchor with a lot of knowledge on the financial world and a good sense of humour. And I am sort of fascinated by the fast paced way that all the CNBC-anchors do their work. They seem to be interviewing multiple people every five minutes on their shows, and they always go very much in depth on the subjects they talk about.

Also in this time of financial uncertainty, I think it might be a good idea to diversify my anchor-worshipping portfolio by investing time in watching both Hala and Erin. :mrgreen: :wink:

I watch CNBC too. The music gets me going. When the voiceover say "you're watching CNBC, first in business worldwide" I love it. To be an anchor on CNBC you really have to be ontop of things. Your financial knowledge has to be beyond great. There is no time to dump the lingo down for channel surfers like Fox Business does.
Dylan Ratigan gets on my nerves. He's on all the shows. And he screams on top of everyone. :P

#7 Charles

Charles

CNN Anchor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,270 posts

Posted 16 November 2008 - 11:00 PM

I agree with all of you. One of the best things about CNBC is the anchors. They are on top of it, are very versatile with changing topics, and some have a good sense of humor. The only people I don't like on the channel are Dylan Rattigan, a hothead, and Jim Cramer, who is simply an entertainer. The channel is truly spectacular with interesting analysis all day, and their presentation is impressive to say the least.

I came across this blog post, which is an inside look at the CNBC Mothership in Englewood Cliffs, New Jersey. Built from scratch for the network, it is quite the facility:

http://insidecable.b... ... dquarters/

#8 Houston

Houston

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 4,138 posts

Posted 20 November 2008 - 06:07 PM

http://maxim.com/Gir...46034/4415.aspx

#9 Beano

Beano

CNN V.J.

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 472 posts

Posted 26 November 2008 - 08:14 PM

Look at what Erin has to deal with sometimes: . :shock: :lol:

Jim Cramer is nuts. I mostly enjoy his bit on Street Signs (Mad Money isn't shown here in Europe) but he always seems to be one step away from completely losing it.

There are actually quite a number of "interesting" Erin-video's on Youtube. A few examples:
Erin on Conan O'Brien with a stolen dress :shock:
Erin calls Bush a monkey (which was a poor joke yes) :?
Erin apologises for calling Bush a monkey
Erin accidentally calls Citygroup "Shittygroup"

#10 Jon

Jon

CNN Contributor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,178 posts

Posted 03 December 2008 - 06:35 AM

For those who have CNBC Europe, does the ticker seem to flicker while it's scrolling? I'm currently watching the simulcast on CNBC, and it seems like the graphics, especially the ticker (all three of them), seem to flicker uncontrollably. Is this normal?

Great channel by the way. Squawk Box Europe is an excellent morning financial show. They need to refit the program while they simulcast to fit the safe zone in the United States though. The third ticker is cut off on most televisions.

#11 Beano

Beano

CNN V.J.

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 472 posts

Posted 08 December 2008 - 10:26 PM

For those who have CNBC Europe, does the ticker seem to flicker while it's scrolling? I'm currently watching the simulcast on CNBC, and it seems like the graphics, especially the ticker (all three of them), seem to flicker uncontrollably. Is this normal?

I am not noticing anything strange at the moment, but sometime last week I did see that they had disabled the ticker and put there saying that they had problems with it.

#12 Beano

Beano

CNN V.J.

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 472 posts

Posted 14 January 2009 - 10:26 PM

A very interesting interview with Erin Burnett: http://athletics.wil... ... C_and_CNBC

#13 Beano

Beano

CNN V.J.

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 472 posts

Posted 18 March 2009 - 11:35 AM

What happend to Street Signs? It hasn't been on the air for a week and a half now, and I haven't heard a reason on why this is. Is the show cancelled or is Erin just on holiday. :-(

To me Street signs was/is a nice "encore" to Hala's show. First all the international news and then all the financial news. It's regrettable that it's at the same hour as Richard Quest's show.

#14 Houston

Houston

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 4,138 posts

Posted 18 March 2009 - 12:26 PM

I just checked the listings on the TV - it's still listed at 1pm (the Quest hour).
She's also listed as a host of Squawk on the Street which comes on in about...45 minutes. Don't know if the listings are accurate or not but they are the most recent download from the satellite system.

#15 Houston

Houston

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 4,138 posts

Posted 18 March 2009 - 07:04 PM

She was on this morning - but I got to watching the extra hour of International Desk and forgot to check Street Signs...oops.

#16 Charles

Charles

CNN Anchor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,270 posts

Posted 18 March 2009 - 09:38 PM

It hadn't occurred to me until last night when I was staying up late that DST has shifted WWEX an hour later, so that the simulcast is only an hour long on CNBCUS now. I can't stand to watch an encore of Fast Money. While CNNI became more convenient for me to watch, WWEX has become less convenient. I hope this is sorted out when Europe goes into Summer time.

#17 Beano

Beano

CNN V.J.

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 472 posts

Posted 30 March 2009 - 06:26 PM

Street signs has been away for at least 3 weeks but it has returned! I am happy. :-)

#18 Charles

Charles

CNN Anchor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,270 posts

Posted 14 April 2009 - 10:01 PM

CNBC was perhaps the first news and business channel I ever started watching. I remember watching it with my dad over his lunch hour. I never had a clue as to what it was all about, but I just remember waiting to hear the NBC chime.

#19 Houston

Houston

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 4,138 posts

Posted 23 April 2009 - 09:27 PM

In Egypt
Posted Image
Posted Image

#20 Houston

Houston

Administrator