84 replies to this topic

#21 Ozzie Rosie

Ozzie Rosie

CNN Copy Editor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 615 posts

Posted 21 June 2009 - 09:33 PM

I will always love the opening music of Squawk Box. I'm talking about the 1999-ish incarnation with the big green glassy words, before the weird sci-fi looking graphics, then the blue/yellow Swedish flag colors started coming in and then finally another incarnation of the sci-fi looking graphics.
I'm Rosemary Church, thanks for your company. *SMILES*

#22 Jon

Jon

CNN Contributor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,178 posts

Posted 29 June 2009 - 08:49 AM

Did they switch anchors around for World Wide Exchange? Either way, all three anchors seem to work together seamlessly. I love the chemistry between the three. Informative, and interesting. Something very rare in a business show of this nature.

#23 Charles

Charles

CNN Anchor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,270 posts

Posted 03 July 2009 - 08:02 PM

(thought we should continue our discussion here)

^^^

Yes, they're huge all around the world, and analogous to CNN, the international variants of CNBC are better than the US variant. The only channel that might be bigger than CNBC in terms of business news is Bloomberg, and while they have good analysis and insight, their anchors are boooring and the production on Bloomberg is really low budget.

I actually like CNBC domestic, despite a few shows. Their production level is very high, and they seem to know how to integrate everything. They also don't shy away from showing international simulcasts and shows.

I agree. I like CNBC US except for the late afternoon / evening shows like Fast Money, Cramer, Suze Orman, etc. And Worldwide Exch is such a good show! I'm glad they simulcast it.

#24 Charles

Charles

CNN Anchor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,270 posts

Posted 10 July 2009 - 09:28 AM

I'd also like to see CNBC use graphics like these, but I won't hold my tongue.

LOL, CNBC is extremely conservative regarding changes. Imagine the look on traders' faces when they find a completely different CNBC being displayed. I don't think they could pull it off without some sort of backlash.

I can't imagine them ever getting rid of the two white and blue tickers since they've had that design ever since the 80's when they were still called FNN, but the lower thirds, charts and other backdrops could use a change. That navy motif they use is so dark and dreary. The NBC peacock is such a pretty and colorful logo and I'd like to see NBC/CNBC/MSNBC use those colors instead of just navy, emerald, and black. MSNBC's new graphics are a step in the right direction.

I don't know, guess I like dark and dreary. They stick to one theme, and run with it. I especially love the 3D stock charts and how they transition to different statistics. Next time you watch, take notice at how the boxes float above one another. It's really a cool effect. You can also compare all three channels, and how they're all unified into one central design. Each network has its small touches, but it's all done in taste. CNN should take hint.

I suppose you're right that the three channels don't all have to look exactly the same. I guess I just feel that CNBC's navy theme is getting a little long in the tooth. Remember that light blue and yellow theme in 2003/2004? That was nice.

Edit: those analysts are vain enough to post videos of all of their appearance on CNBC onto YouTube. So here's a video from that era. I like the color choices. And look...the text isn't in all caps.

#25 Charles

Charles

CNN Anchor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,270 posts

Posted 14 July 2009 - 05:03 AM

Just flipped over to CNBC tonight and saw the rerun of Fast Money. Now that Ratigan is gone, they redid the graphics. They're nicer and not as distracting, but the show still gives me a headache with all those talking heads.

Now they're running that pot documentary again. Guess I better toke up to relieve all that stress I built up watching Fast Money.

#26 Jon

Jon

CNN Contributor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,178 posts

Posted 01 November 2009 - 10:33 PM

Just got CNBC World on my cable package. What a great channel. It definitely has a more international focus (hence the name, CNBC World :lol: ) than CNN domestic, and unlike CNN International, isn't limited in the United States. It has a strong focus on Asian and European markets, which is a great counterbalance to the CNBC domestic. Currently enjoying Squawk Box Australia.

Edit: Does Australia use NTSC or PAL?

#27 Jeffmister

Jeffmister

CNN Intern

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 88 posts

Posted 02 November 2009 - 12:02 AM

Edit: Does Australia use NTSC or PAL?

Australia uses the PAL system.

#28 Jon

Jon

CNN Contributor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,178 posts

Posted 02 November 2009 - 12:48 AM

That makes sense. I was wondering why most of the channel was flickering.

#29 cityprod

cityprod

CNN Intern

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 104 posts

Posted 01 March 2010 - 09:43 AM

CNBC Europe is currently airing what looks like a whole new graphics package. Saw it earlier this morning on Squawk Box Europe, and is now on Worldwide Exchange so I am guessing US viewers are also seeing it now.

Looks a lot simpler, less extravagant than the old look. Looks like they've also had a custom font created for them. Italicised , the font closely resembles Crillee, but with minor differences.

#30 headliner101

headliner101

CNN V.J.

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 407 posts

Posted 01 March 2010 - 02:02 PM

They look similar to MSNBC's graphics package and to a lesser extent, the NBC Today show.
CNN - The worldwide leader in news
CNN/I - Go beyond borders

#31 theBlockerPH

theBlockerPH

CNN V.J.

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 386 posts

Posted 01 March 2010 - 04:49 PM

Just saw Squawk On The Street earlier, and I say they really patterned it now to MSNBC.
at least they do not anymore use those 3d charts that are so hard to copy in Europe & Asia CNBC.

but i wonder in Asia though, i think they just recently changed those graphic package very much resemble the old US ones...
aren't those efforts somewhat wasted? :lol:

#32 Roland

Roland

CNN Viewer

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 01 March 2010 - 05:01 PM

I thought CNBC's new look is way better than their old look. Matches msnbc in perspective w/ the graphics - RJ
CNN/U.S.A.: Your 24-Hour News Source
CNN Headline News: Your 24-Hour Get-to-the-Point News Network
CNN International: Your 24-Hour World News Network
CNN Radio: Your 24-Hour Radio News Service
CNN.com: Your 24-Hour Internet News Website

#33 headliner101

headliner101

CNN V.J.

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 407 posts

Posted 04 March 2010 - 03:41 PM

Did I just see Bernard Lo in a CNBC Asia promo?

#34 cityprod

cityprod

CNN Intern

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 104 posts

Posted 04 March 2010 - 10:33 PM

Did I just see Bernard Lo in a CNBC Asia promo?

Yep, he's just come home to CNBC Asia having spent 6 years with Bloomberg.

#35 theBlockerPH

theBlockerPH

CNN V.J.

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 386 posts

Posted 08 March 2010 - 03:13 AM

apologies for the quality, only my other cable channel, which is analogue, have CNBC.

#36 Morpium

Morpium

CNNFan.org Hero

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,260 posts

Posted 16 March 2010 - 06:43 AM

Has anyone had any troubles with CNBC videos being pulled from YouTube? I've got a few that I've been collecting from the past couple of weeks, but I've been reluctant to upload them because I've seen NBC pull videos of promos down in the past.

#37 Charles

Charles

CNN Anchor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,270 posts

Posted 16 March 2010 - 09:20 AM

I uploaded some MSNBC videos on my channel and even a video of "CNBC on MSNBC", and in the few months that I've had my channel up, I've never had a copyright notice for any video. I put this disclaimer in the description of every video:

The posting of this video is designed to facilitate criticism, commentary, scholarship, and research relating to the television broadcasting industry, and for purposes of historic preservation, consistent with the provisions set forth in Section 107 of Title 17, United States Code.

What that says in laymen's terms is that under US law, it is legal to post videos for academic purposes, basically. I'm not sure if Australian law has a similar ruling, nor do I know if it has ever made the media companies think twice about pulling my videos, but I think it's a good safety net. I still don't want to upload anything from Newscorp, though, after seeing what they did to you, Morpium.

#38 theBlockerPH

theBlockerPH

CNN V.J.

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 386 posts

Posted 17 March 2010 - 07:45 PM

i've been posting CNBC videos for a long time...
i guess it's because those people may think that CNBC Asia different from the CNBCs... :lol:

i have a disclaimer as well, from Philippine constitution & Sinagpore Law on my user page.

btw... CNBC Squawk Box Europe...

#39 headliner101

headliner101

CNN V.J.

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 407 posts

Posted 22 March 2010 - 07:13 AM

I just have to say that Asia's current graphics (ex Cash Flow) looks a lot more futuristic and modern than the US and Europe (they've adopted a 2.0ish version of the 2003-2005 graphics pack and MSNBC as well as NBC Today have a similar scheme). Another major test to see if there are changes to Asia will be to check the week DST will be implemented in Europe. If not, we can expect to see changes when the new Singapore studio comes online.

Also, why doesn't CNBC/US follow the lead of Bloomberg where the entire evening and overnight schedule will cover the Asian and European trading day and instead have to add a separate channel for them? I mean it should be cost-effective for CNBC to have a single channel in the US.

#40 headliner101

headliner101

CNN V.J.

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 407 posts

Posted 01 April 2010 - 05:22 PM

My bet now is CNBC Asia will probably adopt the same graphics package as its western counterparts once it moves to its new home at the SGX building.

I've also noticed that CNBC Asia and Europe have most of their programmes concentrated during their respective morning hours. Why can't they be like CNBC/US to cover the entire trading day continuously anymore? Bloomberg Asia and UK has followed this trend as well and there is minimal difference between them and Bloomberg US (with Charlie Rose being aired at different times in each feed).

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users