14 replies to this topic

#1 Paul

Paul

CNN Intern

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 202 posts

Posted 07 May 2008 - 03:17 AM

I came across an interesting website for CNN International advertising. It has a lot of cool videos and promos. I'm not sure if anybody has seen this before or not, but I thought it was really interesting.

http://www.cnnmediainfo.com

#2 Houston

Houston

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 4,138 posts

Posted 07 May 2008 - 03:48 AM

No, never seen the site before. Very interesting.

Really liked the target audience description:
"Our audience is a unique group of people we call Global Citizens. They feel connected to the world rather than to one particular nation. Intelligent, open minded and well travelled, they are united by their attitudes and experiences, not by the colour of their passports. Global Citizens are ambitious and successful but define success more broadly than simply status or material possessions.
These people understand the difference between national news and CNN, and they demand balanced reporting and intelligent analysis of international news stories, reflecting global issues and respecting a multicultural audience."

Obviously this does not describe the uneducated lazy self-absorbed xenophobic population of the good ol' US of A. So no CNNI for us!

#3 Paul

Paul

CNN Intern

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 202 posts

Posted 07 May 2008 - 01:25 PM

I know! You'd think being essentially the same network, they would have a rather similar outlook on their audience. But no, CNN USA is a whole other dimension of them.

"These people understand the difference between national news and CNN, and they demand balanced reporting and intelligent analysis of international news stories, reflecting global issues and respecting a multicultural audience."

That's probably the best line in that decription! :lol:

For me to really like CNN USA, they'd need an overhauled studio, completely new, fresh graphics and music. And a new, better programming schedule. But, that doesn't seem to be happening anytime soon. It's as if they spend more time make CNN International a lot better, probably to "show off" across the world so people think that it's a very well developed network. What they don't know is there only seeing one side of it!

Simulcast of Your World Today...I WANT IT NOW. :(

#4 Charles

Charles

CNN Anchor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,270 posts

Posted 11 May 2008 - 07:23 AM

Why must there be two different versions of the network? Why shouldn't there be just one CNN for the whole world, showing this balanced view? It doesn't make sense to have a domestic channel that gives into all that jingoism. Plus, with combined resources and production centers, a unified CNN would be one of the biggest networks in the world.

#5 Richard

Richard

CNN Copy Editor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 886 posts

Posted 11 May 2008 - 11:05 AM

Why must there be two different versions of the network? Why shouldn't there be just one CNN for the whole world, showing this balanced view? It doesn't make sense to have a domestic channel that gives into all that jingoism. Plus, with combined resources and production centers, a unified CNN would be one of the biggest networks in the world.

That's a nice idea, but c'mon... how many Americans would really watch CNNI all the time? Ratings in the US would plummet, meaning CNN would lose a heck of a lot of money (and reputation). Either that or they'd have to make CNNI more American which most international viewers wouldnt like.

I think the more channels the better because it increases CNN's audience reach. They've got about 10 chanels around the world I think (like CNNJ, CNN+, CNN en espanol etc).

#6 Charles

Charles

CNN Anchor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,270 posts

Posted 11 May 2008 - 09:05 PM

That's a nice idea, but c'mon... how many Americans would really watch CNNI all the time? Ratings in the US would plummet, meaning CNN would lose a heck of a lot of money (and reputation). Either that or they'd have to make CNNI more American which most international viewers wouldnt like.

I think the more channels the better because it increases CNN's audience reach. They've got about 10 chanels around the world I think (like CNNJ, CNN+, CNN en espanol etc).

I guess I'm just frustrated with all this jingoism from CNN US, Fox News, etc. that's being forced down my throat that apparently all my blue collar friends enjoy. I'm more interested in world news, and if anybody mutter Obama or Clinton one more time, I'm going to kill them...

Also, the channels you mentioned are all in other languages, and CNN US and CNNI are in the same language.

#7 xgrinch

xgrinch

CNN Correspondent

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,418 posts

Posted 11 May 2008 - 10:23 PM

I guess I'm just frustrated with all this jingoism from CNN US, Fox News, etc. that's being forced down my throat that apparently all my blue collar friends enjoy. I'm more interested in world news, and if anybody mutter Obama or Clinton one more time, I'm going to kill them...

Also, the channels you mentioned are all in other languages, and CNN US and CNNI are in the same language.

Try EuroNews, you will see that report mostly about things happening in Europe, so CNN U.S/Fox News is not so different from other specific-market channels.

#8 Charles

Charles

CNN Anchor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,270 posts

Posted 11 May 2008 - 10:56 PM

Try EuroNews, you will see that report mostly about things happening in Europe, so CNN U.S/Fox News is not so different from other specific-market channels.

Okay, fair enough, but there's no world news channel in America. Certain markets can get CNNI or BBC World, but the majority of us only get CNN US, Fox News, MSNBC, and HeadlineNews.

#9 xgrinch

xgrinch

CNN Correspondent

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,418 posts

Posted 11 May 2008 - 11:11 PM

Okay, fair enough, but there's no world news channel in America. Certain markets can get CNNI or BBC World, but the majority of us only get CNN US, Fox News, MSNBC, and HeadlineNews.

But why would a random Joe need a world news channel? He wants to know that alligator escaped in his town, near him, not about news in other cities, of, ceiling cat forbid, other counties or continents which they cannot find on the map.
With that extreme USA-centrism there is no audience to target.

That is sad, but things are the same in other parts of the world.

#10 Charles

Charles

CNN Anchor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,270 posts

Posted 12 May 2008 - 02:24 AM

But why would a random Joe need a world news channel? He wants to know that alligator escaped in his town, near him, not about news in other cities, of, ceiling cat forbid, other counties or continents which they cannot find on the map.
With that extreme USA-centrism there is no audience to target.

That is sad, but things are the same in other parts of the world.

It is sad. The only way I can get world news coverage is through snipets on local and national news channels, BBC World newcasts on my PBS station and BBC America, CNN Today HK on CNN.com, and of course text news on the internet.

#11 Charles

Charles

CNN Anchor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,270 posts

Posted 06 August 2010 - 05:10 AM

I haven't looked at this website in months, if not over a year, and due to the revamp, they've changed a lot of it. Some things I found interesting:

>Their audience apparently isn't the "global citizen" or "business traveller" anymore, but rather three different personas, all of which don't seem to be as high brow as the former.

>Under the "programming" tab, they show "Features" and "Specials" before "News". That sure shows their priorities these days, at least when it comes to weekends.

>The montage of CNNI's news programming on there says that they have business news every hour on the hour while clips of WBT play. They also prominently feature AC360, ShitRoom, and Larry King, but not iDesk, Connect, or the Brief, among other CNNI shows.

I guess this is what CNNI has become...

#12 newser

newser

CNN Correspondent

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,234 posts

Posted 06 August 2010 - 09:13 AM

They are treating IDesk, QMB, CTW and BackStory as feature programs. But I'd say only BS sort of fits into that category.

#13 Leeroy

Leeroy

CNN Anchor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,771 posts

Posted 09 August 2010 - 08:16 AM

They are treating IDesk, QMB, CTW and BackStory as feature programs. But I'd say only BS sort of fits into that category.

I agree. My understanding of "features" was canned shows and on-off specials. I would always have considered IDesk, QMB and CTW as news shows.

#14 Frankie

Frankie

CNN Intern

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 220 posts

Posted 24 July 2011 - 12:04 AM

They recently updated the video on the front page at http://www.cnnmediainfo.com/ with a new reel.

#15 Leeroy

Leeroy

CNN Anchor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,771 posts

Posted 20 March 2012 - 09:46 AM

They recently updated most of the video reels on the website.

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users