Fareed Zakaria GPS

93 replies to this topic

#1 Houston

Houston

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 4,138 posts

Posted 28 May 2008 - 08:11 AM

Looks like a new show - I like this guy's writing, but the premise that the US needs a thirty minute show covering international topics is a joke. BRING BACK YWT. SIMULCAST CNNI instead of reruns of the zombie and faux journalist all night.

Anyway, I'll see if I like him taped as much as in print.

http://tvdecoder.blo...rnational-show/

#2 Spitfire

Spitfire

CNN Correspondent

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,034 posts

Posted 05 June 2008 - 12:37 PM

I watched that show and enjoyed it also (despite Tony Blair and Christiane Amanpour featuring heavily) that man Fareed is clearly an Outward Looker
Quote of the week
Holmesy on Hala
"Do not adjust your set she really is that beautiful."
YWT 14th November 2006

#3 Ozzie Rosie

Ozzie Rosie

CNN Copy Editor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 615 posts

Posted 17 June 2008 - 12:32 PM

Was this one-off?
I'm Rosemary Church, thanks for your company. *SMILES*

#4 Houston

Houston

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 4,138 posts

Posted 17 June 2008 - 10:12 PM

No, it's on every week.

#5 Charles

Charles

CNN Anchor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,270 posts

Posted 27 July 2008 - 04:36 AM

I haven't had a chance to see it yet, but it looks good. It's refreshing to see pure world issues on CNN US again. I don't think we'll see Your World Today back on the schedule until after the election, if that.

#6 Houston

Houston

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 4,138 posts

Posted 11 November 2008 - 04:21 AM

Posted Image
Maybe Anampour isn't happy because she isn't on GPS anymore - at least I haven't seen her lately.

#7 David

David

CNN Copy Editor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 883 posts

Posted 11 November 2008 - 10:28 PM

This show is still going? I thought it bit the dust a long time ago...

#8 Houston

Houston

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 4,138 posts

Posted 24 November 2008 - 04:39 AM

Yep. It's on right after whatever that tired old Blitzer show is on Sundays.
And now the response to Ms. Amanpour's fit about it.
http://www.nytimes.c...r=2&oref=slogin

#9 xgrinch

xgrinch

CNN Correspondent

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,418 posts

Posted 25 November 2008 - 12:29 PM

Yep. It's on right after whatever that tired old Blitzer show is on Sundays.

And they show it on CNNi also. Recorded. 2 hours or so after Blitzer show.

#10 Riceo

Riceo

CNN Copy Editor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 813 posts

Posted 27 January 2009 - 06:01 AM

This show may cover global stories but as long as Mr Zakaria still refers to America as "we" ie: "how do we need to approach the Arab governments differently?" this show will always be my chance to flip over to another channel when it starts.

I like to concept. They've just picked the wrong host. I know it would be too crazy to enlist someone from CNNI to host a program with an eye on the world, but still....... :roll:

#11 Jon

Jon

CNN Contributor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,178 posts

Posted 27 January 2009 - 06:30 AM

Despite referring to America as "we", he has a very international perspective. I love his program, and watch it regularly.

#12 Shinta

Shinta

CNN V.J.

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 488 posts

Posted 18 February 2009 - 09:00 PM

Full article by clicking here

2 page profile / interview of Fareed from The Observer.

Around the world, nostalgia for George W. Bush’s foreign diplomacy might be in short supply these days. But not long ago, Fareed Zakaria, the editor of Newsweek International and the host of CNN’s world affairs program GPS, listened with curiosity as one foreign head of state spoke wistfully of the bygone era of the 43rd president of the United States.

“President George Bush is a great person,” said Hamid Karzai, the president of Afghanistan. “I have a lot of respect for him.”

It was the morning of Thursday, Feb. 12, and Mr. Zakaria was sitting in a television studio in New York, conducting a taped interview via satellite with Mr. Karzai, who was sitting some 6,700 miles away in a regal-looking chair with purple upholstery and golden arms in the presidential palace in Kabul.

In recent months, Mr. Karzai, who came into power with U.S. backing during the Bush administration, has been struggling to regain his footing during the ongoing transition of power in Washington. President Bush understood him. But did President Obama? As of that Thursday morning, Mr. Obama had—still!—yet to reach out and speak to Mr. Karzai directly. Feelings were growing sensitive. Was it too much of a bother for the new guy to pick up the phone?

While awaiting official contact with Washington, Mr. Karzai decided to adopt a proactive approach and so he granted a rare on-camera interview to Mr. Zakaria at CNN.

Mr. Zakaria’s hour-long GPS (which “stands for” Global Public Square) kicked off in the summer of 2008. From the get-go, unlike most Sunday public affairs programs such as Meet the Press and This Week, GPS set out to lure political leaders and thinkers onto the show from outside the Beltway and outside America. Part of Mr. Zakaria’s booking pitch to world leaders has been to emphasize his reach: U.S. policy makers in Washington and New York as well as viewers in London and Moscow and New Delhi—even in Kabul.

#13 Lazlo

Lazlo

CNN Contributor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,039 posts

Posted 12 March 2009 - 01:56 PM

I can't believe we get a show like this! It seems too intelligent to be on cable news. I'm glad it is tho! :D

#14 Shinta

Shinta

CNN V.J.

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 488 posts

Posted 20 March 2009 - 03:43 AM

TV Newser

CNN's Fareed Zakaria will conduct the first television interview with former New York Governor Eliot Spitzer since the scandal that forced him out of office a year ago.

Zakaria interviewed Spitzer today, and the full interview airs Sunday at 1pmET on "Fareed Zakaria GPS". Spitzer reflects on the scandal and also discusses his experience investigating AIG when he was Attorney General.

#15 Shinta

Shinta

CNN V.J.

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 488 posts

Posted 26 April 2009 - 05:07 PM

Journalist Fareed Zakaria will deliver the 2009 baccalaureate address, titled “Living a Global Life,” on Saturday, May 23, at the First Baptist Church in America.

Zakaria, author, columnist, CNN host and editor of Newsweek International, will receive an honorary doctor of laws degree. Born in Mumbai, India, Zakaria holds a bachelor’s degree from Yale University and a doctorate in political science from Harvard. He is a naturalized American citizen.

http://www.projo.com... ... 68850.html

#16 Jon

Jon

CNN Contributor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,178 posts

Posted 07 June 2009 - 05:06 PM

Posted Image

Another favorite program of mine. Great international analysis of hot topic issues. Plus, they know how to use the lower thirds correctly.

Posted Image

#17 Riceo

Riceo

CNN Copy Editor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 813 posts

Posted 08 June 2009 - 04:36 PM

The show has grown on me absolutely. I love the analysis each weekend and I also like the Fareed challenge on the website. Does anyone ever do that? I think it's a nice little way to test your global news knowledge.

#18 Junk Junk.

Junk Junk.

CNN Anchor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,212 posts

Posted 08 June 2009 - 07:01 PM

wow thats a lot of analysts for one show. I have seen it only once, and it is a very fine addition.

#19 Morpium

Morpium

CNNFan.org Hero

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,260 posts

Posted 06 July 2009 - 07:59 AM

The show was presented from London this week.

(click to enlarge)

#20 Junk Junk.

Junk Junk.

CNN Anchor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,212 posts

Posted 06 July 2009 - 02:39 PM

I've always thought London's studio as something mediocre, but that first shot looks great!!

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users