#81 alexcs

alexcs

CNN Copy Editor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 525 posts

Posted 11 August 2012 - 01:52 PM

http://www.guardian....sing?CMP=twt_fd

(In brief - Fareed Zakaria has been suspended by Time Magazine and CNN for lifting some material in a column he wrote for Time Magazine which also appeared on CNN.com)

I'm kind of in two minds about this - I do appreciate Fareed Zakaria's show. Until Newsroom International it was the ONLY source for proper international news on CNN Domestic, and when I'm at home I do like to watch it on CNN International. However, what he did was wrong. For a high-level, respected journalist, this represents a major error of judgement.

#82 magnel69

magnel69

CNN Copy Editor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 683 posts

Posted 11 August 2012 - 02:04 PM

This is embarrassing! Will still continue to support his show.

#83 excel99

excel99

CNN Anchor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,837 posts

Posted 11 August 2012 - 02:20 PM

CNN are in a rather awkward situation now. This doesn't directly affect his ability to interview, or moderate panel discussions - which forms most of the content of his show. However he has just lost a LOT of credibility, and will anyone trust an essay or written piece from him again?

#84 newser

newser

CNN Correspondent

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,234 posts

Posted 12 August 2012 - 04:58 AM

I agree with alexcs, GPS was one of the few remaining places where a serious discussion about international news could be seen on CNN US. In that sense, even though the show was relatively closed to a wider diversity of opinions (same 10-15 guests and commentators appeared way too often), I appreciated this program.

However, following this embarrasment, I have no reason to watch Zakaria's show ever again, on CNN or elsewhere. Apology is not enough. In fact, it sounds cynical. He stole something on purpose and was quite aware of what he was doing.

It's completely unimaginable CNN could afford keeping a program bearing his name anymore. I'm surprised he is only suspended as of now. I'm even more surprised Time magazine "accepted" his apology. He should have been fired. Or at least, since Time Warner is obviously giving him an opportunity to make a move himself, he should have resigned immediately. That form of mea culpa would preserve at least a tiny bit of his credibility. I'm afraid it's a bit too late for that now.

Edited by newser, 12 August 2012 - 04:59 AM.

#85 Carolina Argentina

Carolina Argentina

CNN President

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,018 posts

Posted 12 August 2012 - 07:47 AM

One never knows what's going on behind the scenes in this sort of thing.

#86 Solar System

Solar System

CNN Contributor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,375 posts

Posted 12 August 2012 - 04:23 PM

You have to wonder if ego played a part in his actions. And have to wonder how many times he has done this before. For Fareed credibility is everything - so much of his stature was built around pointing out the errors of others.

#87 modlib

modlib

CNN Contributor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,324 posts

Posted 13 August 2012 - 02:12 PM

Yeah, Solar System, I think you hit the nail on the head when you blamed his ego. So often when people experience big success and they are surrounded by adoring sycophants, they lose touch with reality. Success and praise go to your head and you get lazy and complacent because you think you can get away with it. You start to believe you are above the rules that govern everyone else. Perhaps Fareed needed to be taken down a peg or two. This should be a serious lesson to him and I hope he learns from it. This has damaged his credibilty and CNN's at a time that CNN can't afford any more bad publicity.

Edited by modlib, 13 August 2012 - 02:14 PM.

#88 magnel69

magnel69

CNN Copy Editor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 683 posts

Posted 26 August 2012 - 02:23 PM

FGPS back on the air! CNN made the right decision. Welcome back!

#89 magnel69

magnel69

CNN Copy Editor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 683 posts

Posted 07 October 2012 - 02:23 PM

Thoroughly enjoying today's FZGPS. I like his new hairstyle,it adds some amount of personality to his show. LOL!!

#90 AJJ

AJJ

CNN Correspondent

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,925 posts

Posted 16 February 2014 - 06:42 PM

How long has the show been using Studio 71 aka New Day set? Always like to catch this show when I can on Sunday mornings.
NEW DAY, BLACK FRIDAY 2015

BERMAN: Have shoppers become hooked on their mobile devices to fill their needs?
PEREIRA: Guilty as charged!
BERMAN: Their shopping needs, I'm talking about. We'll break it down next.
PEREIRA: (gasps) What is wrong with you?!
BERMAN: I don't know!

#91 jjerome95

jjerome95

CNN Contributor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,436 posts

Posted 16 February 2014 - 10:05 PM

It can't have been that long...

CNN International Current Anchors and Schedule <--Please update as you see fit

#92 kk_kev

kk_kev

CNN Copy Editor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 995 posts

Posted 17 February 2014 - 09:19 AM

Should be just this week? Last week was in Communications Center (judging from the video excerpts on the GPS blog)
previosuly kev

#93 CNN_Maryland

CNN_Maryland

CNN Contributor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,093 posts

Posted 17 February 2014 - 06:12 PM

Here's Studio 71

Attached Files

#94 MVJR4

MVJR4

CNN Anchor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,531 posts

Posted 22 November 2016 - 06:52 AM

New graphics

Cnlsvpy.jpgOyoZxcJ.jpg

nk3oC4P.png "We need a hashtag... #UpholsteredBarStools?-Hala Gorani, 5/8/15

>CNN/U.S. Anchors/Schedule 2017 2016 2015 SOON: 2014

>HLN Anchors/Schedule 2017

>CNN Philippines Anchors/Schedule 2017

>CNN Philippines videos on my YouTube channel!

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users