1181 replies to this topic

#41 goursote

goursote

CNN V.J.

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 467 posts

Posted 26 January 2009 - 05:32 AM

No Charles -itīs not that.Itīs rather trying to weaken your accent-tryng to make it as accent-free as possible.
Bringing it to a point most none English native speakers are able to easily understand.

#42 byron

byron

CNN V.J.

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 421 posts

Posted 26 January 2009 - 05:34 AM

But Anna has been news reading in Australia for years so she should know how to read normally. Sure CNN International is a bit different from Today Tonight or Sunrise but she should be a natural at it.
I think she is fine, but after watching these videos from a few years ago it's clear she is talking differently

http://au.youtube.co...h?v=JgW8-dl0Xek
http://au.youtube.co...h?v=SwHmhNSuOnU
http://au.youtube.co...h?v=mPOS79UZuMc

#43 Charles

Charles

CNN Anchor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,270 posts

Posted 26 January 2009 - 05:45 AM

I think that Anna is doing well at CNN. She seems a little uncomfortable presenting more serious material than Today Tonight, but anybody would be. I don't think she's trying to de-accent herself as goursote explained, but rather that she's trying enunciate and make sure she pronounces everything right, as Morpium explained.

#44 goursote

goursote

CNN V.J.

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 467 posts

Posted 26 January 2009 - 06:01 AM

Charles thatīs exactly what I mean-trying to pronounce everything in a way none native speakers are able to understand easily-and thatīs weakening your accend because accent has a lot to do with pronounciation and language melody and weakening this is trying to bring it into a standard pronounciation and trying to do this needs concentration.When she was with Australian TV she neednīt bother about having an Australian accent because all her viewers had it,too.Now this is completely different.Now most of her viewers speak either different variatons of the English language or are none native speakers who have learned Standard English at school.And especially the last group of people is completely lost if you speak an heavy accent to them of whatever variety(Australian,American,South-African,Indian,Yorkshire,Welsh,French,German or whatever)

#45 Ozzie Rosie

Ozzie Rosie

CNN Copy Editor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 615 posts

Posted 28 January 2009 - 10:58 PM

Goursote, while I understand and do appreciate what you say, there really is no such thing as "Standard English". There is no such thing as accent-free English (although don't ask Minnesotans about that! LOL). It is linguistically impossible to speak without an accent.

Now, what might come closest to what you consider "Standard English" might be what is called Received Pronunciation (RP), and that's what the BBC sounded like before the likes of Lucy Hockings came on board with her Kiwi (or more accurately, Kywy) accent. But that is not "Standard English". You will be hard-pressed to find an American who is trying to "de-accentize" (as you say) him or herself speaking with RP. I.e., RP is still very much British/English.

What I'm trying to say is: not being able to understand a certain accent does not mean the other party is not speaking "Standard English". It simply means you yourself were not raised in an environment in which that accent was widely spoken.

Now, back to Anna Coren, I've never seen her on CNN (bad timing in Europe). However, from her YouTube videos, I think she speaks fine. But she's definitely characteristically Aussie (accent and otherwise). Of course, I am a native speaker and dabble in linguistics, so maybe that's just me.
I'm Rosemary Church, thanks for your company. *SMILES*

#46 century

century

CNN Viewer

• Members
  • Pip
  • 12 posts

Posted 03 February 2009 - 02:48 AM

03 Feb 09 - based in Hong Kong - weekdays 0200 GMT :-)

Posted Image
Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image

#47 Jon

Jon

CNN Contributor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,178 posts

Posted 03 February 2009 - 02:50 AM

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=1198

;-)

#48 Charles

Charles

CNN Anchor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,270 posts

Posted 12 February 2009 - 03:30 AM

Anna seems to be more comfortable. Here she is from a few days ago:

#49 topbottom

topbottom

CNN Viewer

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 13 February 2009 - 10:26 PM

ANA ,I would not forget that name !!!!!!

#50 topbottom

topbottom

CNN Viewer

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 16 February 2009 - 02:22 PM

First thing I saw this mondaymorning after a hard weekend ,Dammmm!!!!!Refreshing!!!!!!!!

#51 byron

byron

CNN V.J.

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 421 posts

Posted 19 February 2009 - 08:31 AM

An old cap from the Today Tonight days.
Posted Image
Posted Image

#52 Junk Junk.

Junk Junk.

CNN Anchor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,212 posts

Posted 20 February 2009 - 01:28 PM

'todaytonight' what kind of cheesy name is that.

#53 byron

byron

CNN V.J.

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 421 posts

Posted 23 February 2009 - 01:34 PM

the content of the program suited the name of the show.
It's rather disliked in Australia but somehow it continues to rate well.

#54 daryl

daryl

CNN Intern

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 165 posts

Posted 23 February 2009 - 08:54 PM

watch her today and something couldn't quite click. i don't know what? i just couldn't watch her anchor the news the whole hour. maybe they should re - introduce double anchoring in Hong Kong

#55 Morpium

Morpium

CNNFan.org Hero

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,260 posts

Posted 25 February 2009 - 06:12 AM

CNN Today, Wednesday.

(click to enlarge)

#56 Jon

Jon

CNN Contributor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,178 posts

Posted 25 February 2009 - 06:38 AM

My god, has CNN really ruined their Hong Kong set. It was decent at first, but now it's just plain depressing. I could not imagine watching that background for an hour. It's just dull and lifeless, and blue.

Enough with the blue CNN. Seriously. Please bring back the color panels.

#57 goursote

goursote

CNN V.J.

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 467 posts

Posted 28 February 2009 - 01:38 AM

I really start to really like her-I wonīt say love because that word I use exclusivly for Zain Verjee and that shall remain so.

#58 Spitfire

Spitfire

CNN Correspondent

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,034 posts

Posted 28 February 2009 - 02:35 AM

TodayTonight can't have been all that bad because Anjal Rao worked on it.
Quote of the week
Holmesy on Hala
"Do not adjust your set she really is that beautiful."
YWT 14th November 2006

#59 goursote

goursote

CNN V.J.

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 467 posts

Posted 28 February 2009 - 03:04 AM

Thanks Spitty for the information,I didnīt know that

#60 byron

byron

CNN V.J.

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 421 posts

Posted 28 February 2009 - 03:19 AM

TodayTonight can't have been all that bad because Anjal Rao worked on it.

It's pretty bad.
Here are some videos of TT
http://idents.tv/blog/?s=today+tonight

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users