Morpium

CNNFan.org Hero

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,260 posts

Posted 12 October 2008 - 10:59 AM

.:Source: Zawya.com
.:Link: Click here for full article

This is a great article - I'd recommend reading the full story by clicking the link above.

CNN International is to start broadcasting live daily news programming from a brand new broadcast facility in Abu Dhabi in the United Arab Emirates. This landmark move signals the global network's significantly expanded on-the-ground commitment to the Middle East and marks CNN's first regularly scheduled daily live show from the region.

The development is part of ongoing plans for CNN's new broadcast and production centre set to open in the Abu Dhabi Media Zone* in early 2009. In addition to a daily local-primetime newscast, the new production centre in Abu Dhabi will provide the infrastructure for expanded newsgathering activities in the region. It enhances CNN's existing representation in the region which currently comprises news operations in Amman, Baghdad, Beirut, Cairo, Dubai and Jerusalem, and is part of the company's ongoing newsgathering expansion which over this year has seen more than 50 additional staff and more newsgathering operations in Africa, Asia and Latin America.

CNN's Abu Dhabi operation complements its ongoing presence in Dubai and will be a fourth international broadcast centre alongside the existing facilities in London, Hong Kong and Mexico City; and US production centres in Atlanta, Washington DC, New York and Los Angeles.

"Our UAE expansion is one of our boldest editorial undertakings of recent years and one that builds on our existing newsgathering heritage in the region," said Tony Maddox, MD CNN International. "For a global news organisation, the Middle East was the logical choice for an investment of this scale. Our new operation in Abu Dhabi will enable us to continue to meet and exceed the demands of our audiences at a time when many of our competitors are having to retrench."

The article also goes onto to mention that a new CNN International anchor will be based at the custom built news hub, and production of ITME and MME will be moved to the new facility.

#2 ginnyfan

ginnyfan

• Moderators
  • 10,474 posts

Posted 12 October 2008 - 11:23 AM

Wow, I didn't expect something like this. :shock: So now we will have Atlanta, London, Hong Kong & Abu Dhabi.

I hope they make a nice set there. Is it possible that Hala would be the anchor there, I wouldn't be suprised if ITME is gonna be produced there. Plus YWT is a mess and she is waisted there.
We'll back tomorrow , if they let us out of our cages. - Monita and Owen on CNN Today, 2008.

#3 Morpium

Morpium

CNNFan.org Hero

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,260 posts

Posted 12 October 2008 - 11:27 AM

I hope they make a nice set there.

I wonder whether they will create another boxed set like the current three? I hope not - What's the point of having these different broadcast facilities when they practically look the same? Granted, you can easily tell Hong Kong apart from the London and Atlanta sets, but still...

#4 Honn

Honn

CNN V.J.

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 335 posts

Posted 12 October 2008 - 12:31 PM

That's great and I have the feeling that this is one of the few things coming up in another re-vamp, which might be why some shows are now a mess. It'll be interesting to see when this starts and how they will structure the whole CNNi schedule.

#5 ginnyfan

ginnyfan

• Moderators
  • 10,474 posts

Posted 12 October 2008 - 01:42 PM

Yep, it looks like interesting times are ahead. Maybe the new news show will air at 1500 CET ( after WNA).Currently that slot has random shows each day.
We'll back tomorrow , if they let us out of our cages. - Monita and Owen on CNN Today, 2008.

#6 Charles

Charles

CNN Anchor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,273 posts

Posted 12 October 2008 - 08:30 PM

I'm really looking forward to what CNN International does in 2009. As Grig mentioned, I have been predicting a revamp due to the fact that the channel has been "a mess" as he called it in the last few months. Paul also mentioned a few weeks ago that his source inside CNN confirmed that the music and intros would be changed in the upcoming months.

The fact that they are increasing their presence across the world by hiring more bureau journalists and producing shows like World Business Today in London, Hong Kong, & New York, and now the construction of a new production center in the UAE makes the channel very interesting and gives them an edge against the others.

And as a side note, I'd like to thank Morpium once again so that we will have the ability to watch these new changes with CNN in 2009 together here on CNNFan.org.

#7 Junk Junk.

Junk Junk.

CNN Anchor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,212 posts

Posted 13 October 2008 - 09:20 AM

Again, sorry but here goes my thought on this: I don't think CNN has to follow the current trend of making a production center in the Middle East; they already have it in London, Hong Kong, Atlanta, NY, Washington; I just think would be un-beneficiary of doing that. The already have a big office in Dubai for CNN Arabic; But again; opening the new centers means more diversity; wandering if Hala would be transferred there; if that is, she must get the spot like top- primetime anchor or something; but hope she stays in Atlanta.

#8 Houston

Houston

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 4,162 posts

Posted 13 October 2008 - 07:38 PM

A little more from Mr. Maddox:

For his part, Tony Maddox, MD CNN International told Asharq Al Awsat that the network will study producing more content from the region and that it considers this move "a long term investment", while also saying "we will certainly look at any new possibilities that presents themselves".

We operate in many countries in the world where there are restrictions, challenges, threats to journalists… we don't operate anywhere where we are not able to report transparently and report openly"

As for guarantees, Maddox says: "We don't seek guarantees from anyone, people know what they are getting into when they are signing up with CNN, they know what we are about… and people in this case and other cases have been supportive of that".

The reality is running an internet operation and some newsgathering isn't like running a major broadcast center, this is going to be a broadcast center similar to the ones in London and Hong Kong, this will be where will we do shows from, this has serious requirements, so its not a question of either or… its purely a logistics issue".

http://www.asharq-e....tion=5&id=14390

#9 Houston

Houston

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 4,162 posts

Posted 13 January 2009 - 04:44 AM

Ok all you production junkies. Am reading this right? It's sounds like Sony is doing all the TV studios and they will be HD?
http://www.sony.co.u...&site=biz_en_GB

#10 Charles

Charles

CNN Anchor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,273 posts

Posted 13 January 2009 - 05:04 AM

I just glanced at it, but that's what it sounds like. That's nothing I wouldn't have predicted. If a news organization is building a new broadcast facility from scratch, they might as well implement the best technology. Whether or not the other production centers and all of CNNI will broadcast in HD is a different question. My assumption would be 'no', since even on Domestic, Atlanta doesn't broadcast in HD.

#11 Charles

Charles

CNN Anchor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,273 posts

Posted 24 June 2009 - 09:15 PM

No, they haven't forgotten about Abu Dhabi. From Mr. Maddox:

From November, CNN's presence in the Middle East will be boosted by a new broadcast centre in Abu Dhabi.
Although it has to compete with Al Jazeera in the region, Mr Maddox says he has no plans to broadcast in Arabic.

http://www.telegraph...ews-battle.html

November for Abu Dhabi, and September for Christiane's new show. Get ready for round #2 of the 2008-2010 revamp of CNNI...

#12 Tribune

Tribune

CNN Intern

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 81 posts

Posted 09 August 2009 - 12:33 PM

Im going to go out here on a limb and predict that Stan Grant will be the "new international anchor" for the Abu Dhabi broadcast. Although I would love if they could entice Zainab Bardawi from BBC world for this role. Im would say the time for broadcast would be 17:00 London but that would mean in the summer the show will broadcast at 20:00 Abu Dhabi time and in the winter 21:00 Abu Dhabi time as AD (as well as most if not all of the Middle East) does not observe DST. I would imagine they would not want to keep changing the local time of the broadcast

What do you guys think?

#13 ginnyfan

ginnyfan

• Moderators
  • 10,474 posts

Posted 09 August 2009 - 02:11 PM

That sounds good and possible, I wish he would have a co anchor though.

#14 Junk Junk.

Junk Junk.

CNN Anchor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,212 posts

Posted 09 August 2009 - 05:00 PM

Im going to go out here on a limb and predict that Stan Grant will be the "new international anchor" for the Abu Dhabi broadcast. Although I would love if they could entice Zainab Bardawi from BBC world for this role. Im would say the time for broadcast would be 17:00 London but that would mean in the summer the show will broadcast at 20:00 Abu Dhabi time and in the winter 21:00 Abu Dhabi time as AD (as well as most if not all of the Middle East) does not observe DST. I would imagine they would not want to keep changing the local time of the broadcast

If i remember correctly, Stan Grant was re-appointed by CNN as an anchor for Abu Dhabi, which is great, but I was still hoping they would transfer him to HK with Kristie and back to the olden days. Although his current position as a correspondent has really shown him as one of the treasures CNN has.

#15 Axl0706

Axl0706

CNN Copy Editor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 997 posts

Posted 09 August 2009 - 05:12 PM

Zainab Badawi would be a great addition to the CNN anchor staff.

If they hire a new presenter I hope it's gonna be someone with a name in global television or a long-time international correspondent with a lot of experience. Giving such a prestigious new timeslot to a complete newcomer could be a bad idea.

If they pick one of CNNs own correspondents I hope it’s gonna be Sara Sidner. She has striking personality and even if she won’t get the Abu Dhabi position I’m sure she will be offered a prominent anchor slot sometime down the rode. I wouldn’t mind co-anchoring either (Sara and Stan Grant maybe) – this would guarantee both of them the chance to do some reporting from time to time… :D

#16 ginnyfan

ginnyfan

• Moderators
  • 10,474 posts

Posted 09 August 2009 - 05:29 PM

Not a big fan of Zeinab Badawi, I respect her knowledge and she's an asset to BBC but I don't wanna see her on CNN.
If they took someone from BBC I wish it would be Mishal Husain, she's gorgeous, smart and experienced although she shows a little personality on BBC but that would probably change on CNN. These are just my wishes, she's safe at BBC though, she works weekdays on World and national news on weekends so she's busy.

I can't really imagine who could be this new anchor, only Stan sounds like a good reasonable choice since he did it in past.

#17 Charles

Charles

CNN Anchor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,273 posts

Posted 09 August 2009 - 08:12 PM

It has been speculated in the past that Stan is the new anchor, but the press release said he was appointed as "Dubai-based correspondent".

For the record, I have yet to see him file a report from Dubai. Since his return, almost all of his reports have come from Afghanistan or Pakistan, though I have seen him do a report in Abu Dhabi on at least one occasion. So I'm led to believe that he will continue to be a correspondent for the entire region while perhaps filling in as anchor. Another press release said that they were hiring someone new to be the new lead anchor in Abu Dhabi, but I wouldn't be surprised if Stan is that new lead anchor, either.

I'm continuing to scour Google for more information, though I'm not really expecting much from this new production center anyways.

#18 dezbee2008

dezbee2008

CNN Correspondent

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,302 posts

Posted 10 August 2009 - 12:53 AM

For the record, I have yet to see him file a report from Dubai. Since his return, almost all of his reports have come from Afghanistan or Pakistan, though I have seen him do a report in Abu Dhabi on at least one occasion.

Yeah, almost all of Stan's reports are from those two countries. And I have no clue that he left CNN before he returned. I honestly thought he was still at CNN in the last 5 years. But anyway...

Another press release said that they were hiring someone new to be the new lead anchor in Abu Dhabi, but I wouldn't be surprised if Stan is that new lead anchor, either.

Me neither. I have seen Stan anchoring CNN Today HK the first time I had CNNI. So, if that's the case, it's no surprise.
http://www.twitter.com/dezbee2008

Michael Holmes on Frederik Pleitgen:
"Only Fred Pleitgen can go 'hey, how's it going' to a bunch of Iraqi guys with guns" :lol:
- BackStory, April 16, 2009

"Thank you, Eunice Yoon. I look forward to working with you in the future, I think."
- Andrew Stevens on WBT, June 15, 2009

#19 Charles

Charles

CNN Anchor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,273 posts

Posted 03 September 2009 - 07:43 AM

After rereading this press release:

http://www.mediabist... ... .asp?c=rss

...I think it may be safe to assume that Stan will be the new anchor in Abu Dhabi. Why else did they publicize his return in January? Still, I'm slightly surprised that we haven't heard much more about the new production center on top of what we heard a year ago. It launches in two months, but we still don't really know what the show will be like. :-?

#20 Charles

Charles

CNN Anchor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,273 posts

Posted 04 September 2009 - 08:30 AM

The plot thickens (at least from my perspective).

I was rereading a press release from late 2007 about the launch of the UAE bureau, and in it, they announced this guy, Wilf Dinnick as the new anchor. He's been with CNN since that time, but, I've never seen him before. I ran a forum search for his name, and it looks like he's filed a few reports for ITME, but that's all I can find.

I Googled him, and up came his linkedin profile, but on there, it says that he joined CNN in 2007 (when the UAE bureau was announced) and left in 2009.

This is pure speculation, but maybe they booted him when they got Stan back...?

It's anyone's guess who turns up in Abu Dhabi in November (or if the bureau launches at all).

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users