Morpium

CNNFan.org Hero

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,260 posts

Posted 24 November 2008 - 07:30 AM

.:Source: New York Times (Via Houston)
.:Link: Click here for full article

Houston posted this in another topic, so I thought I would give this its own home here (since it is originally destined for CNN International).

In her 25 years at CNN, Christiane Amanpour has hopscotched the world, the very model of a foreign correspondent, turning up at seemingly every war, genocide, famine and natural disaster, slipping through previously closed borders and interviewing even the most recalcitrant of foreign leaders.

But there is one thing she has never done: anchored her own daily news show.

That will change next year, when she starts a nightly program on CNN International, which is retooling its lineup. An edited version of Ms. Amanpour's show is expected to be shown on the weekends on CNN's United States channel.

No start date for either version has been set, and the new program does not yet have a title, producer or much of a format, at least not one that executives are ready to talk about. But in in her office in the Time Warner building, with its sweeping view over Columbus Circle and Central Park in Manhattan, Ms. Amanpour said she would continue to travel with the program, "because I'm a field person at heart, in my bones and in my DNA."

The article also mentions new programs to launch in 2009. If you want to discuss the CNNI schedule, please continue discussion here.

We'll leave this topic free for discussion on this new program to be hosted by Christiane Amanpour. I'll change the title as soon as the program name is announced.

#2 ginnyfan

ginnyfan

• Moderators
  • 10,457 posts

Posted 24 November 2008 - 12:20 PM

Sounds interesting., but I wonder what do they mean when they say ''nightly'', is it night in NY or Europe.
We'll back tomorrow , if they let us out of our cages. - Monita and Owen on CNN Today, 2008.

#3 zack10

zack10

CNN V.J.

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 339 posts

Posted 24 November 2008 - 01:41 PM

Sounds interesting., but I wonder what do they mean when they say ''nightly'', is it night in NY or Europe.

It will be night time in Europe. What part of the schedule during Europe night time will have to go. Will it be the situation Room or the old business international hour?

#4 Houston

Houston

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 4,138 posts

Posted 24 November 2008 - 02:59 PM

I thought it was a bit ironic:
"A serious, occasionally fierce defender of the place of international reporting in an American television news diet..."
"That will change next year, when she starts a nightly program on CNN International, which is retooling its lineup. An edited version of Ms. Amanpour's show is expected to be shown on the weekends on CNN's United States channel." ...
"The American people," she said, "spoke loudly. The majority of the American people in the run-up to this election said they believe that the next president, one of his most important priorities should be restoring America's position in the world. That to me says it all: That means that there is an openness, that there is a desire, a hunger to know about the world, and to know about where America is and fits into the world."

SOOOO, the hungry American people, who are prevented by every means possible from viewing CNN International, will get an "edited" US weekend version of a daily hour International show. Doesn't sound to me like it matters "the American people spoke loudly" or that Americans will still be getting much international reporting in our diet. Maybe a weekly grape.

If you want to feed the American people the world quit giving us crumbs - make CNNI available on every cable/satellite system in this country.

#5 ginnyfan

ginnyfan

• Moderators
  • 10,457 posts

Posted 24 November 2008 - 03:46 PM

I also wonder which show will go away, hope it's not Becky's hour. They could put it in BI slot and move BI one hour earlier. They have too many non news slots these days but that will probably change next year.
We'll back tomorrow , if they let us out of our cages. - Monita and Owen on CNN Today, 2008.

#6 Spitfire

Spitfire

CNN Correspondent

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,034 posts

Posted 24 November 2008 - 03:52 PM

I can admire some of the work she has done in the past but I just can't warm to Christiane, a cold imperious elitist with absolutely no zero evidence of a common touch. Also has done absolutely nothing in the last three years to justify her being the worlds highest earning reporter, absolutely nothing. God's Warriors and orchestra's to North Korea (shakes head, shakes head)
Quote of the week
Holmesy on Hala
"Do not adjust your set she really is that beautiful."
YWT 14th November 2006

#7 zack10

zack10

CNN V.J.

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 339 posts

Posted 25 November 2008 - 04:06 AM

I can admire some of the work she has done in the past but I just can't warm to Christiane, a cold imperious elitist with absolutely no zero evidence of a common touch. Also has done absolutely nothing in the last three years to justify her being the worlds highest earning reporter, absolutely nothing. God's Warriors and orchestra's to North Korea (shakes head, shakes head)

I know shes done nothing. Look at all the big stories the past couple of years, shes been AWOL. It is crazy how CNNI pay her so much for doing nothing the past few years.
For me I see a big EGO in her. That commerical with her messanic like image and adulation. It is disgusting. :roll: All she wants it to be about her. Maybe she can actually do some work next year.

#8 headliner101

headliner101

CNN V.J.

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 407 posts

Posted 14 December 2008 - 12:53 PM

Do you think it will come from the big CNN studio in NY where most of their main programmes come from (i.e. American Morning, Campbell Brown: Election Centre and AC360)?
CNN - The worldwide leader in news
CNN/I - Go beyond borders

#9 alexander

alexander

CNN V.J.

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 261 posts

Posted 14 December 2008 - 12:56 PM

Amanpour is now based in New York so probably yes.

#10 byron

byron

CNN V.J.

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 421 posts

Posted 14 December 2008 - 12:58 PM

I read somewhere it was going to come from London...

#11 ginnyfan

ginnyfan

• Moderators
  • 10,457 posts

Posted 14 December 2008 - 01:30 PM

I hope it's the great NY set. :shock: I always thought CNNI could use it too when CNN US doesn't.

#12 Charles

Charles

CNN Anchor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,270 posts

Posted 14 December 2008 - 06:48 PM

I vaguely remember reading somewhere that she moved to NYC in 2008 because her husband wanted her to, but I think they are moving back to London next year.

#13 goursote

goursote

CNN V.J.

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 467 posts

Posted 20 December 2008 - 09:35 AM

I don't like it.Once a week would be quite enough.
I don't like the idea of having to see HER face EVERY NIGHT,honestly. :x

And I wouldnever want to give up the ONE HOUR of SITUATIONROOM we get!
For NOTHING in the world.
After the latest development it is the ONLY POSSIBILITY to be able to see ZAIN VERJEE on CNNI and on CNNUS as well.
AND therefore NO SITUATIONROOM would simply mean NO ZAIN VERJEE!

And honestly who of you really wants that to happen?

Rather one hour more sitroom instead of having to watch Amanpour EVERY NIGHT

Sorry but this is troubling me since the anouncement was made

#14 ginnyfan

ginnyfan

• Moderators
  • 10,457 posts

Posted 20 December 2008 - 11:40 AM

I don't think TSR will go away, they say this new show will air in prime time ( I guess they mean Europe) so 0000CET doesn't sound like prime time. I guess they will move BI or something around 2000CET. I already said they could move BI to 1900CET and have this new show at 2000CET or just put this show at 1900CET.

#15 HaBa

HaBa

CNN Copy Editor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 560 posts

Posted 27 December 2008 - 07:08 PM

I only hope her new program will be as cool and down on Earth as Fareed Zakaria's GPS is.

But I have my doubts:

1) Long ago, when CNN launched Amanpour's promo, it was full of I am, I was, I will... I posted, back then, a remark about that and (I don't believe that CNNers read that) but a little after she changed the text to We will...

2) She NEVER, EVER, NEVER chats with reporters or anchors or even call their names during live shots. Only when it's with Cooper, Blitzer or King. Larry that is. There is no excuse to that.

3) Zakaria is as good as her, with the same credentials that she has. Let's see if the arrogancy and the "I am friend of the Queen and you are not" behavior will go away.

4) There are reports of jealousy just because Zakaria got an international affairs program and she didn't. (Why didn't she give the idea of such a show before? She has been there since the 80s...)

Anyways, sure will be a good international discussion program. Hope not so good to be broadcast on CNN US, because sure they will ruin it trying to put an American perspective even when there isn't one.

#16 alexander

alexander

CNN V.J.

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 261 posts

Posted 27 December 2008 - 09:04 PM

It's amazing how in every single one of her reports she promotes her personal point of view.

#17 Morpium

Morpium

CNNFan.org Hero

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,260 posts

Posted 09 January 2009 - 06:16 AM

I couldn't find any official release about the name of Christiane's new show, but I wonder if this job advert reveals the program title as "Amanpour".

Click to enlarge:

#18 Houston

Houston

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 4,138 posts

Posted 09 January 2009 - 05:12 PM

April 1, 2009. How ironic.
Attached File  CA new show.JPG   23.18KB   717 downloads
http://www.dstv.com/...n/sa/highlights

#19 ginnyfan

ginnyfan

• Moderators
  • 10,457 posts

Posted 09 January 2009 - 08:45 PM

Is that 8 pm in Europe :?: :?: :?:

#20 Charles

Charles

CNN Anchor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,270 posts

Posted 09 January 2009 - 10:50 PM

^^^

I don't think that's right. Every show on that website looked like that time was '08:00'.

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users