170 replies to this topic

#1 Beano

Beano

CNN V.J.

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 472 posts

Posted 21 December 2008 - 02:57 PM

I cannot believe that Robyn doesn't have her own topic on this forum. I am shocked. SHOCKED! :shock: ;)

Her bio on CNN.Com:

Robyn Curnow is a correspondent for CNN based at the network's bureau in Johannesburg, South Africa.

Having re-joined the network in early 2008, Curnow has already reported on a number of stories including the presidential and parliamentary elections in Zimbabwe. Her reports from the South Africa-Zimbabwe border have played an integral role in CNN's coverage of this ongoing story.

Curnow was previously a freelance correspondent and anchor at CNN's London bureau, reporting on stories such as the death of Pope John Paul II, the London bombings and the South Asian tsunami, for which the CNN team won a DuPont-Columbia Award. She also presented CNN's sailing show Mainsail.

Prior to joining CNN, Curnow worked for the BBC as well as the South African Broadcasting Corporation, where she started her career as a reporter and covered a wide range of stories including Nelson Mandela's Presidency, the Mozambique floods and the land invasions in Zimbabwe.

Curnow is South African and has a Master's degree in International Relations from Cambridge University.

Posted Image

So she left CNN for a while to return early this year? Anyone know what happened?

#2 ginnyfan

ginnyfan

• Moderators
  • 10,474 posts

Posted 21 December 2008 - 03:41 PM

I remember her anchoring in London right after Liz George stopped working, I always thought Robyn was supposed to be her replacement, she even had the short hair do. :D
We'll back tomorrow , if they let us out of our cages. - Monita and Owen on CNN Today, 2008.

#3 Houston

Houston

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 4,165 posts

Posted 21 December 2008 - 07:18 PM

Anyone know what happened?

I see her quite a bit reporting from South Africa. She had several stories on displaced Zimbabwians (is that spelled right?) this week.

#4 Beano

Beano

CNN V.J.

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 472 posts

Posted 02 February 2009 - 01:17 PM

It looks like Robyn became a mum sometime late 2007. Here's a picture of her daughter Freya, her husband Kim (who is actually CNN's SA-bureau chief) and Nelson Mandela:

Posted Image

edit:

So she left CNN for a while to return early this year? Anyone know what happened?

I guess I answered my own question. ;-)

#5 Charles

Charles

CNN Anchor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,273 posts

Posted 06 July 2009 - 05:01 AM

Posted Image

#6 Nuggle

Nuggle

CNN Correspondent

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,375 posts

Posted 09 July 2009 - 04:54 AM

Robyn has grown a lot of me. I've noticed that she can be quite feisty is the person doesn't answer the question directly.

#7 Morpium

Morpium

CNNFan.org Hero

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,260 posts

Posted 19 July 2009 - 04:12 AM

(click to enlarge)

#8 Nuggle

Nuggle

CNN Correspondent

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,375 posts

Posted 26 July 2009 - 02:22 PM

She did a good job hosting this weeks Inside Africa.

#9 Charles

Charles

CNN Anchor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,273 posts

Posted 28 July 2009 - 10:46 AM

Posted Image

#10 Nuggle

Nuggle

CNN Correspondent

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,375 posts

Posted 31 July 2009 - 10:53 AM

Thanks for the gorgeous pic. She looks great.

#11 Morpium

Morpium

CNNFan.org Hero

• Members
  • 5,260 posts

Posted 05 August 2009 - 09:23 PM

I was going to post a cap speculating whether Robyn was pregnant or not, but she just said she was on BackStory. On that note, her backstory today was heartbreaking.

#12 Charles

Charles

CNN Anchor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,273 posts

Posted 05 August 2009 - 09:49 PM

^^^

How was it heartbreaking, Morpium?

#13 Morpium

Morpium

CNNFan.org Hero

• Members
  • 5,260 posts

Posted 05 August 2009 - 09:57 PM

^^ I don't know if you've seen Robyn's report from Johannesburg about women who have to give up their babies due to economic hardship? The story itself was uncomfortable to watch, but today's BackStory featured a lot of unused interview material. You could see that Robyn was very much touched by the two women she was talking to, partly (I think), because she herself is pregnant and can identify in some ways with the women.

I hope they put the video on the BackStory webpage. It's worth watching if you get a chance, Charles.

EDIT: Michael probably sells it better than me on his Facebook note:

Plenty of emotional response at BSHQ today to a heart rending piece by Robin Curnow in Jo'burg. She'd done a story on women who give up their babies for economic reasons, but, as usually happens with regular news pieces, a LOT of powerful interview material wasn't used.

That's where BackStory steps in, of course - Sho the Snr Writer has put together a powerful piece from what hasn't aired, but needs to be seen.

Robin is herself pregnant at the moment, and her reaction to the stories she's being told is emotional stuff to watch, let alone hearing the stories themselves. As I said, the BSHQ was pretty quiet after we'd viewed it. It's a "don't miss"...

Source

#14 Nuggle

Nuggle

CNN Correspondent

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,375 posts

Posted 05 August 2009 - 11:12 PM

Yes, you almost needed tissues to watch that Back story report. Very well produced and emotional and just shows that everyone and everything gets affected by the sucky economy. Also, can we know officially call this the CNN International Baby Boom? Congrats to Robyn.

#15 Charles

Charles

CNN Anchor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,273 posts

Posted 05 August 2009 - 11:37 PM

I did catch that report, I believe. Haven't seen the B/S report, but the original one was very moving.

#16 dezbee2008

dezbee2008

CNN Correspondent

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,302 posts

Posted 06 August 2009 - 02:24 AM

The B/S report was very touching.

About the pregnancy thing, that was my first thought when I saw on TV at around 3 this morning. At first I was thinking, "Dear God, don't tell me Robyn Curnow's pregnant", but that is the case, so congrats to her, and send virtual hugs because as tough as she is, she cried. Very human and touching.
http://www.twitter.com/dezbee2008

Michael Holmes on Frederik Pleitgen:
"Only Fred Pleitgen can go 'hey, how's it going' to a bunch of Iraqi guys with guns" :lol:
- BackStory, April 16, 2009

"Thank you, Eunice Yoon. I look forward to working with you in the future, I think."
- Andrew Stevens on WBT, June 15, 2009

#17 Leeroy

Leeroy

CNN Anchor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,771 posts

Posted 06 August 2009 - 06:19 AM

I concur. Great report from Robyn and very touching. It's amazing to think that we may have missed that moment without a show like Back Story. Congratulations to Robyn as well. Who will be next? :lol:

#18 Leeroy

Leeroy

CNN Anchor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,771 posts

Posted 28 August 2009 - 09:07 AM

I just saw a bit of the outtakes of Robyn's report with that crowd pushing against her and I was really worried as she is heavily pregnant and it felt like a situation that could have turned nasty if pushed or hit accidentally. :shock:

#19 Charles

Charles

CNN Anchor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,273 posts

Posted 13 September 2009 - 07:51 AM

Posted Image

#20 Morpium

Morpium

CNNFan.org Hero

• Members