garh

CNN Contributor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,357 posts

Posted 28 August 2011 - 06:09 AM

No, CNNi needs to be on Hurricane non-stop. Libya is old news switch to AJ

No other channel can match it outside the US

I would have thought that the folks in the US would tune into CNN Domestic to catch up on what's happening.
Would CNNI have rolling coverage if the hurricane were anywhere else?? How many hurricanes are there every year that don't get this level of airtime? The folks in Asia might get a news report and updates during the weather but nothing on this scale! I'm as interested in this hurricane as I would be if it were anywhere else.

International indeed!

Well this must BIG as Natalie is on CNN US co hosting as they go into the small hours.

#1302 newser

newser

CNN Correspondent

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,234 posts

Posted 28 August 2011 - 12:12 PM

^^Well, who can blame CNNI for simulcasting a lot of good TV? I agree that international news gathering obviously fell apart this weekend, but that has little to do with the hurricane coverage, much more to do with CNNI management that simply canceled most of the international newscasts, even though there was time and space to produce some. And yes, this storm was and is still big and it's hitting areas that last dealt with a hurricane decades ago.

Rolling coverage of a hurricane out of the US? Probably not, but that's how it's always been on CNN and not just on CNN. Ever seen rolling coverage of a super typhoon in Asia on any of CNN's competitors? You could also ask a similar question when it comes to, for example, elections - why is there extensive coverage of US or UK elections and why is there almost nothing from Germany, France, Japan or Australia. Or why is there extensive coverage of London riots and almost no coverage of a massacre in Monterey (Mexico). And these would be completely legitimate questions, but it's first and foremost a matter of news judgment and audience CNN is trying to reach.

I think hurricane coverage simulcast on CNNI is not a bad decision, the biggest mistake was to cancel international news updates when there clearly was time to do it, but they instead aired taped feature shows.

Edited by newser, 28 August 2011 - 12:13 PM.

#1303 ginnyfan

ginnyfan

• Moderators
  • 10,457 posts

Posted 28 August 2011 - 01:29 PM

To me, it's interesting so I don't mind it at all plus today is the day the impact is really felt.
We'll back tomorrow , if they let us out of our cages. - Monita and Owen on CNN Today, 2008.

#1304 garh

garh

CNN Contributor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,357 posts

Posted 28 August 2011 - 08:27 PM

To me, it's interesting so I don't mind it at all plus today is the day the impact is really felt.

Amazing that CNNI have gone back to "Normal Programming" when the after effects of the Hurricane are now being felt. You just can't win with CNN!!

#1305 Norwegian viewer

Norwegian viewer

CNN Copy Editor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 843 posts

Posted 31 August 2011 - 08:31 PM

When I started to watch CNNI, in the early 90-ies, the network was a mix of programmes from CNN and from Headline News. Step by step, hour by hour, programmes were replaced with World News and other programmes produced by CNNI. It was always interesting to see where in the schedule a new World News programme would "show up". But this process is not yet completed. Still we have some hours of the day when CNNI is not an international channel, but still a US channel. In my opinion an international channel has to be international 24/7. It's difficult to understand why the international perspective should "disappear" 0000-01000 CET, 0400-0500 CET and 1100 and 1130 CET. These time slots should be filled with internatsional programming asap. We need no news programmes from Domestic on CNN International. That kind of programming should be history - something from the past, from the early days - not in 2011.

#1306 alexcs

alexcs

CNN Copy Editor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 525 posts

Posted 01 September 2011 - 12:06 AM

When I started to watch CNNI, in the early 90-ies, the network was a mix of programmes from CNN and from Headline News. Step by step, hour by hour, programmes were replaced with World News and other programmes produced by CNNI. It was always interesting to see where in the schedule a new World News programme would "show up". But this process is not yet completed. Still we have some hours of the day when CNNI is not an international channel, but still a US channel. In my opinion an international channel has to be international 24/7. It's difficult to understand why the international perspective should "disappear" 0000-01000 CET, 0400-0500 CET and 1100 and 1130 CET. These time slots should be filled with internatsional programming asap. We need no news programmes from Domestic on CNN International. That kind of programming should be history - something from the past, from the early days - not in 2011.

Not to mention, 0300-0400, 1300-1400 and 2100-2200... and all the hours of random feature shows. CNN, The Worldwide Leader in America's News....

#1307 Junk Junk.

Junk Junk.

CNN Anchor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,212 posts

Posted 01 September 2011 - 01:50 PM

They aired "Witness to Famine" after BackStory for Asia/Pacific 1830 HK.

#1308 Leeroy

Leeroy

CNN Anchor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,771 posts

Posted 03 September 2011 - 04:54 AM

I'm picking up the news that dezbee posted in the WBT thread about AC360 live simulcast replacing it from next week. I've just browsed the schedule for the next couple of weeks on the CNN Asia Pacific website and it seems that after a week of 9/11 specials in place of the AC360 replay, CNNI will still play the replay as well. WTF?!? So, CNNI will have:

AC360
Piers Morgan Tonight
AC360 (replay)
World Sport
Canned Show

The world's news leader? YOU CAN STFU ABOUT THAT STUPID NONSENSE NOW YOU DIPSHIT CLOWNS.

#1309 newser

newser

CNN Correspondent

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,234 posts

Posted 03 September 2011 - 05:57 AM

^^Don't forget about Erin Burnett at 7pm in a few weeks time.

Even if Europe could swallow a bunch of overnight simulcasts, this schedule is not sustainable, not even short term because of all the other regions that are awake at this time. It's stupid enough to air two replays of PMT every day, but adding the AC360 replay just an hour after it already aired is pure nonsense. I know I won't be crying about WBT, cause it was probably the weakest news hour on CNNI anyways, but surely they could have produced a live hour of news at 10pm ET instead. But let's wait and see, Asia Pacific site has been unreliable more than once so far, so maybe not everything will be as it seems like now.

On another note, what I'm interested the most about now is Colleen. What will she do, where will she settle? Isha is now practically gone from IDesk and Finnouala seems to have taken her spot. Errol seems to be moving out of Abu Dhabi soon, but I can't imagine Colleen moving to UAE. That's why I believe she will end up replacing the future anchor of Prism, whoever that might be.

#1310 ginnyfan

ginnyfan

• Moderators
  • 10,457 posts

Posted 03 September 2011 - 07:40 AM

I'm not surprised they ditched this hour. Pauline replaces Anjali as a WR anchor and Colleen was wasted on it anyway, hope they give her something good.

The former AC360 slot should be an hour WR bulletin for Asian mornings, a replay of AC is just CRAZY
We'll back tomorrow , if they let us out of our cages. - Monita and Owen on CNN Today, 2008.

#1311 excel99

excel99

CNN Anchor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,837 posts

Posted 03 September 2011 - 09:12 AM

It's a shame that one of the good things about 2009 relaunch, an Asian morning business show, has gone. It appears to have been poorly executed but the idea was good in principle

Also worth noting GPS takes the Sun 8pmET/Mon 8am HK slot

Even if Europe could swallow a bunch of overnight simulcasts

It can't. The BBC are live overnight, Sky are live overnight. Froma UK perspective at least it's expected that news channels remain live overnight

but surely they could have produced a live hour of news at 10pm ET instead. But let's wait and see, Asia Pacific site has been unreliable more than once so far, so maybe not everything will be as it seems like now.

Hopefully asia pacific is wrong, since a 10pm ET hour of news instead would have been/still could be an improvement

On another note, what I'm interested the most about now is Colleen. What will she do, where will she settle? Isha is now practically gone from IDesk and Finnouala seems to have taken her spot. Errol seems to be moving out of Abu Dhabi soon, but I can't imagine Colleen moving to UAE. That's why I believe she will end up replacing the future anchor of Prism, whoever that might be.

Hope I'm very very wrong, but Reggie's departure leaves a weekend vacancy

Also Luis Carlos Velez would appearto be without a show now as well

#1312 ukjds

ukjds

CNN V.J.

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 393 posts

Posted 03 September 2011 - 09:38 AM

Oh dear - these days it seems everytime the schedule is changed it just gets worse. The 0100UK WBT was pretty poor I admit, but better than yet another airing of Andy. They'll be putting a 18 hour old replay in European primetime next.

It would be nice if Colleen moved to the European breakfast slot with Rosemary though.
Be sure to check out my YouTube channel for presentation from AJE, the BBC and CNN. Updated: 12th September.

#1313 Samson

Samson

CNN V.J.

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 496 posts

Posted 03 September 2011 - 11:54 AM

Guys, this is seriously wrong. Ok, let's think about it. The live simulcast of AC360 is better than having the recorded version only. BUT, we don't want the replay as well. And if CNNI is going to have Burnett, followed by Cooper and then Morgan that is seriously F*%ked. 3 hours of CNNUS on our international channel? While the news day and business day is underway here in Asia. SCREW THAT. If it turns out how we fear, CNNI management have seriously f*%ked the channel up and this is going to do more damage than any good. I did suspect we would eventually get the live version of AC360, but I thought we'd then get an hour of World Report to replace the 0100 GMT replay, or WBT would be moved back to that hour. Are seeing the beginning of the end of CNNI as a fully fledge network in its own right? Is CNNI going to go the way of CNNe with loads of taped programming or non-news programming as its core schedule? Dark days are ahead I fear, but I am damn sure not going to sit back and let some knobheads screw it up.

#1314 Nuggle

Nuggle

CNN Correspondent

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,375 posts

Posted 03 September 2011 - 12:07 PM

There are no words.

#1315 Norwegian viewer

Norwegian viewer

CNN Copy Editor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 843 posts

Posted 03 September 2011 - 01:07 PM

I am afraid that The World's News Leader is forcing its viwers to switch to BBC for more and more hours. As I just said; We need no news programmes from Domestic on CNN International. That kind of programming should be history.

#1316 dezbee2008

dezbee2008

CNN Correspondent

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,302 posts

Posted 03 September 2011 - 02:16 PM

I'm picking up the news that dezbee posted in the WBT thread about AC360 live simulcast replacing it from next week. I've just browsed the schedule for the next couple of weeks on the CNN Asia Pacific website and it seems that after a week of 9/11 specials in place of the AC360 replay, CNNI will still play the replay as well. WTF?!? So, CNNI will have:

AC360
Piers Morgan Tonight
AC360 (replay)
World Sport
Canned Show

The world's news leader? YOU CAN STFU ABOUT THAT STUPID NONSENSE NOW YOU DIPSHIT CLOWNS.

And not only that, the possibility of Erin's program playing at 7 before the live AC360. I think I'm already planning to watch other shows in place of the self-claimed "world's news leader". Yeah, more like "world's NO news leader" (is there a middle finger icon and can I use it?)

Posted Image

Edited by dezbee2008, 03 September 2011 - 02:17 PM.

http://www.twitter.com/dezbee2008

Michael Holmes on Frederik Pleitgen:
"Only Fred Pleitgen can go 'hey, how's it going' to a bunch of Iraqi guys with guns" :lol:
- BackStory, April 16, 2009

"Thank you, Eunice Yoon. I look forward to working with you in the future, I think."
- Andrew Stevens on WBT, June 15, 2009

#1317 CMS

CMS

CNN Intern

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 165 posts

Posted 03 September 2011 - 07:50 PM

For a while CNN has annoyed me by its over-US-news-programming, but now this is unreal! OK, Pauline still has the first WR but what about Luis and Colleen, who in different ways are both very good? Granted, that hour of news was awful and mainly replays so AC360 here is sorta logical but for viewers in Asia, I have one word - Newsday. I can imagine Colleen bobbing about from shift to shift - wonder how she'd do on the IDESK? But for Luis, I think it's back to CNNE - I hope not though as he does have a good fanbase and is always very well researched! Plus, let's not forget Felicia! Perhaps Luis and her will sit in for Maggie more often.

P.S. Did anyone record that final edition? It'd be nice to hear if there were any closing words!

#1318 alexcs

alexcs

CNN Copy Editor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 525 posts

Posted 03 September 2011 - 08:42 PM

I wouldn't be surprised if we see this...

12am CET: The Situation Room (however many times they try to get rid of it, it comes back to haunt us, they'll probably just keep it and repeat it)
1am CET: Erin Burnett
2am CET: Anderson Cooper
3am CET: Piers Morgan
4am CET: Anderson Cooper

I.e. We may end up seeing 5 hours of consecutive simulcasts. Not to mention, that is preceded by 4 hours of non-hard news programming and followed by 1 hour of non-news! I will be losing CNN in a month...can't say I'm that bothered about it any more! :censored:

#1319 Norwegian viewer

Norwegian viewer

CNN Copy Editor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 843 posts

Posted 03 September 2011 - 10:15 PM

I wouldn't be surprised if we see this...

12am CET: The Situation Room (however many times they try to get rid of it, it comes back to haunt us, they'll probably just keep it and repeat it)
1am CET: Erin Burnett
2am CET: Anderson Cooper
3am CET: Piers Morgan
4am CET: Anderson Cooper

I.e. We may end up seeing 5 hours of consecutive simulcasts. Not to mention, that is preceded by 4 hours of non-hard news programming and followed by 1 hour of non-news! I will be losing CNN in a month...can't say I'm that bothered about it any more! :censored:

But let's hope for this:

0000 CET: World Report from HK
0100 CET: World Report from HK
0200 CET: World Business Today from HK and NYC
0300 CET: Piers Morgan (perhaps)
0400 CET: World Report from HK
(and 1100 CET: W1 from London)

Let's hope CNN Intl. really want to be what they now say they are; The World's News Leader

Edited by Norwegian viewer, 03 September 2011 - 10:16 PM.

#1320 pasawayako

pasawayako

CNN V.J.

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 335 posts

Posted 04 September 2011 - 12:31 AM

WIth WBT gone, and If this is my morning news will look like, it is better to switch to BBC when their mornings are at least more focused on Asia. I don't see CNNI thought that these proposed changes are relevant to Asian viewers?

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users