59 replies to this topic

#1 Charles

Charles

CNN Anchor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,270 posts

Posted 19 January 2009 - 01:51 AM

I'm surprised there isn't a thread already about Bloomberg. I remember reading a while ago that it is the #1 business news channel in the world, ahead of CNBC. I've always preferred CNBC, but perhaps that's just because my dad always watches CNBC. Bloomberg has some really smart presenters and analysts, but sheesh, are they boring. Their graphics also leave a lot to be desired.

What is your opinion of Bloomberg?

#2 Paul

Paul

CNN Intern

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 202 posts

Posted 21 January 2009 - 11:07 PM

The only business network I watch is Fox Business. They're on-air appearance and graphics are clear and direct. Bloomberg and CNBC give me a headache with those fast scrolling quotes. Too confusing, too annoying. Fox Business is the best business network, in my opinion.

#3 Jon

Jon

CNN Contributor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,178 posts

Posted 22 January 2009 - 04:07 AM

The only business network I watch is Fox Business. They're on-air appearance and graphics are clear and direct. Bloomberg and CNBC give me a headache with those fast scrolling quotes. Too confusing, too annoying. Fox Business is the best business network, in my opinion.

I respect your opinion, but I'll have to disagree. FBN uses the same unprofessional tactics as their sister network Fox News. They seem more focused on creating a name for themselves by suing a government organization in order to grab the headlines.

I prefer CNBC to Bloomberg, but I would rather watch that then FBN.

#4 Paul

Paul

CNN Intern

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 202 posts

Posted 23 January 2009 - 07:41 PM

I respect your opinion, but I'll have to disagree. FBN uses the same unprofessional tactics as their sister network Fox News. They seem more focused on creating a name for themselves by suing a government organization in order to grab the headlines.

I prefer CNBC to Bloomberg, but I would rather watch that then FBN.

I respect your opinion as well and don't get me wrong, I can't stand Fox News Channel at ALL! I never watch it. But, I really think their business network graphics are more clean, clear and direct. And a portion of their programming and personalities are pretty good too. Their daytime programming and personalities are good and professional. But, once "Happy Hour" starts, I stop watching it. I can't stand the personalities or their any of their other primetime shows, like CAVUTO. However, from mainly a graphics perspective, I just don't like scrolling quote tickers like those other channels, you can never read them, it's too fast, for me at least. I also don't like when CNBC has 12+ people on-air all at once all talking at the same time, very confusing. But, I'll watch Bloomberg over CNBC if I had to.

#5 Charles

Charles

CNN Anchor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,270 posts

Posted 23 January 2009 - 10:56 PM

^^^

I'll agree that FBN has the best graphics of everyone. I like their flipper, but the fact that it flips too slowly makes the CNBC and Bloomberg tickers more practical for business users, since they are only looking for a few stocks of their own. CNBCUS has good graphics-- better than CNBC Europe, Asia, & World. I can definitely tell that businessmen designed Bloomberg's graphics. Their on-screen presence reminds me of how businessmen design their PowerPoint presentations-- defaulting to blue when picking a color, defaulting to Arial when picking a font, having everything out of place, and not having much consistency.

Still, graphics aside, it's the content that counts, and between Bloomberg and CNBC, I choose CNBC. I can't comment on how good FBN's product is since I haven't watched it much, but I know that a lot of their anchors formerly worked for CNBC, so I would think that their business reporting and analysis would be the same caliber as CNBC's.

#6 Paul

Paul

CNN Intern

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 202 posts

Posted 24 January 2009 - 01:32 AM

^^^

I'll agree that FBN has the best graphics of everyone. I like their flipper, but the fact that it flips too slowly makes the CNBC and Bloomberg tickers more practical for business users, since they are only looking for a few stocks of their own. CNBCUS has good graphics-- better than CNBC Europe, Asia, & World. I can definitely tell that businessmen designed Bloomberg's graphics. Their on-screen presence reminds me of how businessmen design their PowerPoint presentations-- defaulting to blue when picking a color, defaulting to Arial when picking a font, having everything out of place, and not having much consistency.

Still, graphics aside, it's the content that counts, and between Bloomberg and CNBC, I choose CNBC. I can't comment on how good FBN's product is since I haven't watched it much, but I know that a lot of their anchors formerly worked for CNBC, so I would think that their business reporting and analysis would be the same caliber as CNBC's.

Yeah, I know what you mean Charles. A lot of talent did come from CNBC, and I really love their daytime anchors. They do a really great job and content and program, to me, is very well done. My favorite anchorwoman is Liz Claman, she's great and came from CNBC. I watch her on "Countdown to the Closing Bell" from 3:00-4:00PM EST. I also watch some of "Bulls and Bears" right after the bell with her, but I don't like David Asman, just doesn't do it for me. As for male anchors, Stuart Varney is by far the best, he is very professional and I love his hour of rolling Fox Business news from 1:00PM-2:00PM, he's great. I'm trying not to ramble because this is the Bloomberg thread.

#7 Ozzie Rosie

Ozzie Rosie

CNN Copy Editor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 615 posts

Posted 07 February 2009 - 10:50 PM

I remember Liz Claman. My favorite anchor on Bloomberg also came over from CNBC and she's Betty Liu!!! She does Starting Bell and I always pop into the elevator at lunchtime just to catch a glimpse of her on the small TV screens.
I'm Rosemary Church, thanks for your company. *SMILES*

#8 Spitfire

Spitfire

CNN Correspondent

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,034 posts

Posted 27 October 2009 - 10:42 PM

Interesting Bloomberg Europe is having a make over, I suppose Andrea Sanke could turn up there, never thought of Bloomberg as a possibility before.

http://www.mediaweek...-look-newsroom/
Quote of the week
Holmesy on Hala
"Do not adjust your set she really is that beautiful."
YWT 14th November 2006

#9 Charles

Charles

CNN Anchor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,270 posts

Posted 27 October 2009 - 11:02 PM

Thanks for the heads up, Spitty. I didn't think Andrea might possibly end up at Bloomberg, either. I've taped the main European market show tonight.

It looks like they have had a slight refresh in graphics. The typeface and color choices don't work well at all, but it's an improvement from their previous design with three horrendous tickers.

Some quick caps I got from Asia Morning Call in the last hour.

Posted Image

Posted Image

#10 Charles

Charles

CNN Anchor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,270 posts

Posted 30 October 2009 - 10:56 PM

I really like this opening sequence they use during European trading hours. It's very simple. My only complaint about it is that they run it every time they come back from a commercial. The new set in London is very nice. You can't see it very well in this video, though. I have caps that I'll upload later.

#11 Charles

Charles

CNN Anchor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,270 posts

Posted 31 October 2009 - 08:40 AM

I don't know if anyone other than me cares, but here are caps of the new London set. It's one of the more interesting sets I've seen in a while. I'm not sure if I like the video display on the floor.

Click to enlarge.

#12 zack10

zack10

CNN V.J.

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 339 posts

Posted 31 October 2009 - 12:26 PM

I like the set. It is interesting and different to a certain degree. I like they have change the colors and made the channel softer.
The newsroom sets just give so much more variation and it never goes out of style. I love it all. it has elements of Sky news floor graphics and curve floor. BBC WORLD glass back drop. I wish they had a real projection video wall instead of that plasma screen. Plasma screens in studio are so yesterday. Everyone has a plasma and it looks cheap in the studio. I hope CNNI can ditch those plasmas cause the new and greatest thing will soon arrive and those plasmas will really be dated.

#13 Shinta

Shinta

CNN V.J.

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 488 posts

Posted 26 February 2011 - 05:03 AM

Bloomberg Launching Daily Live Tech TV Show Called Bloomberg West On Monday

http://techcrunch.co...west-on-monday/

#14 Morpium

Morpium

CNNFan.org Hero

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,260 posts

Posted 07 April 2011 - 02:27 AM

Bloomberg Television Debuts New Studio and New Look in Hong Kong. New Set Reflects Bloomberg Television's Growing Global Presence.

Bloomberg Television today announced the debut of the network's new television studio in Hong Kong, located in Cheung Kong Centre in the heart of Hong Kong's business district. The new set, incorporating the latest in interactive technology, enables Bloomberg Television to provide even more fast-paced, reliable and accurate coverage of market-moving news from the pan-Asia region.

Susan Li, host of "First Up" (7-9am Hong Kong time) and Rishaad Salamat, host of "On the Move Asia" (9-11 am Hong Kong time), will work with Bloomberg's team of Asia-based reporters to cover breaking news, interview top business and political leaders and provide in-depth reporting on major company news and world events. Bloomberg Television's reporting team will also utilize a state-of-the-art touch screen, presenting images, video and live market data with the look and feel of today's handheld devices. The set design incorporates skyline views of Hong Kong and increases interaction with the Bloomberg Television newsroom of over one hundred market experts and reporters.

"Bloomberg Television's new set brings in the pace and energy of Hong Kong, one of the leading business centres for Asia and the world," said Parry Ravindranathan, Business Head for Bloomberg Television in Asia. "Throughout the broadcast day, we're delivering fast-paced, engaging news from around the world to help our viewers make better-informed decisions."

#15 Joshuah

Joshuah

CNN Intern

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 73 posts

Posted 08 April 2011 - 12:03 PM

Has the set debuted? Be interesting to see what it looks like.

#16 Bubbles

Bubbles

CNN V.J.

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 335 posts

Posted 10 May 2011 - 04:35 AM

Bloomberg has launched a HD channel: http://www.newsonnew...hd-channel.html

#17 CMS

CMS

CNN Intern

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 165 posts

Posted 15 July 2011 - 03:07 PM

Is Margaret Brennan an insomniac because she always sounds so tired, bored and gloomy whenever I see her. They ought to give Betty Liu 4 hours - she's awesome! Bloomberg's line up is very good and "In The Loop" is what I'd expect from a leading business news channel.

#18 Samson

Samson

CNN V.J.

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 496 posts

Posted 03 August 2011 - 10:34 AM

New Bloomberg TV Show to Feature Tech Startups
http://www.newsonnew...h-startups.html

#19 newser

newser

CNN Correspondent

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,234 posts

Posted 15 August 2011 - 06:11 PM

Bloomberg possibly to become a more general news oriented channel, à la CNN.

http://www.nytimes.c...mesAd&seid=auto

If they indeed are to transform, CNN and other global players should be concerned, cause Bloomberg has more international bureaus than any other general news outlet broadcasting around the world (more than 130!). Their obvious main problem is distribution, both in the US and in many other parts of the world, but from what I gather, so far they weren't eager to expand it, cause they were targeting a very specific audience. If (when) they decide to expand distribution, I don't think they will face problems al Jazeera is facing in the US. Also, they have established themselves as a trustworthy and credible organization outside of the States as well, so can't see significant problems on the international front either.

Anyway, I hope this transformation starts sooner rather than later.

#20 Shinta

Shinta

CNN V.J.

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 488 posts

Posted 16 August 2011 - 03:46 AM

It would be nice to see a network with such an established base of reporters already, but Bloomberg are now denying any of that speculation.

“We are a business and financial news network,” Morse said. ” It’s our mission to be the best
business and financial news network in the world. Despite speculation to the
contrary, we are laser-focused on what we do best.”

http://www.mediabist...0532#more-80532

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users