1321 replies to this topic

#41 byron

byron

CNN V.J.

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 421 posts

Posted 11 March 2009 - 01:25 PM

Why do they stick with London when there is breaking news around this time?
I would prefer to see Anjali anchor than to have to put up with Max mumbling his way through wire updates.

#42 alexander

alexander

CNN V.J.

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 261 posts

Posted 11 March 2009 - 01:58 PM

I think it is like that because the breaking story comes from Europe. Besides, I have the impression that Hong Kong bureau doesn't have the news gathering abilities of London. I can't know for sure of course....

#43 ginnyfan

ginnyfan

• Moderators
  • 10,457 posts

Posted 11 March 2009 - 02:05 PM

I think so too, plus they can double anchor in London.
I think Anna Coren was probably due to anchor WNA and she is new and probably bad with breaking news.
We'll back tomorrow , if they let us out of our cages. - Monita and Owen on CNN Today, 2008.

#44 ginnyfan

ginnyfan

• Moderators
  • 10,457 posts

Posted 11 March 2009 - 03:12 PM

Some caps from the coverage. Charles reported from the newsroom, later Richard did it too.

Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image
We'll back tomorrow , if they let us out of our cages. - Monita and Owen on CNN Today, 2008.

#45 Charles

Charles

CNN Anchor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,270 posts

Posted 11 March 2009 - 09:24 PM

I think Anna Coren was probably due to anchor WNA and she is new and probably bad with breaking news.

*cap courtesy of Jon*

She broke the Buffalo plane crash story and was on for about an extra hour before they cut to AC. She fared alright with the uncertainty-- about as well as any other CNNI anchor. And, it goes without saying that she deals with breaking news much better than Mr. Mumbles. However, anybody can cover breaking news better than him. "This is, uh, quite a, um, a tragic event you have, uh, here. Let's go to, um a witness via telepho-, uh, let's toss to Jenny, uh, Harrison at the CNN Weathe-, more details to, uh, come. :roll:

#46 garh

garh

CNN Contributor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,357 posts

Posted 14 March 2009 - 05:24 AM

*cap courtesy of Jon*

She broke the Buffalo plane crash story and was on for about an extra hour before they cut to AC. She fared alright with the uncertainty-- about as well as any other CNNI anchor. And, it goes without saying that she deals with breaking news much better than Mr. Mumbles. However, anybody can cover breaking news better than him. "This is, uh, quite a, um, a tragic event you have, uh, here. Let's go to, um a witness via telepho-, uh, let's toss to Jenny, uh, Harrison at the CNN Weathe-, more details to, uh, come. :roll:

Who is Mr Mumbles????

#47 Junk Junk.

Junk Junk.

CNN Anchor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,212 posts

Posted 14 March 2009 - 01:01 PM

I'd bet that's Max Foster.

#48 ginnyfan

ginnyfan

• Moderators
  • 10,457 posts

Posted 14 March 2009 - 08:00 PM

It's Anderson Cooper and it's true that he's terrible at breaking news.

#49 Charles

Charles

CNN Anchor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,270 posts

Posted 14 March 2009 - 08:30 PM

Yeah, I was referring to AC when I said Mr. Mumbles (I think Houston coined that nickname.) Max is much better than Mr. Mumbles with breaking news.

#50 ginnyfan

ginnyfan

• Moderators
  • 10,457 posts

Posted 20 March 2009 - 05:02 PM

Today we had Manisha on WBT with Maggie and Isha back on IDesk, that's her third time this week. She's been on BackStory the previous 2 days.

#51 Axl0706

Axl0706

CNN Copy Editor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 997 posts

Posted 20 March 2009 - 06:34 PM

Today we had Manisha on WBT with Maggie and Isha back on IDesk, that's her third time this week. She's been on BackStory the previous 2 days.

Did you notice that Isha said "See you on Monday" or "Michael will be back on Monday" at the end of yesterday's Backstory? Maybe it was just a mistake or there won't be a live-edition of Backstory today... :?: :?: :?:

#52 alexander

alexander

CNN V.J.

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 261 posts

Posted 20 March 2009 - 06:41 PM

It was a mistake probably. Michael will be on tonight but not during the next week.

#53 Axl0706

Axl0706

CNN Copy Editor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 997 posts

Posted 20 March 2009 - 06:44 PM

It was a mistake probably. Michael will be on tonight but not during the next week.

Ok, thanks for clearing that up! :D

#54 ginnyfan

ginnyfan

• Moderators
  • 10,457 posts

Posted 20 March 2009 - 09:01 PM

Max did World News Europe.

#55 Charles

Charles

CNN Anchor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,270 posts

Posted 20 March 2009 - 10:40 PM

^^^

Wasn't he also on CNN Today Friday?

#56 ginnyfan

ginnyfan

• Moderators
  • 10,457 posts

Posted 20 March 2009 - 10:51 PM

It was probably Don cause he was on yesterday. Can anyone confirm this? :idea: :?:

#57 alexander

alexander

CNN V.J.

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 261 posts

Posted 20 March 2009 - 10:56 PM

I confirm :)

#58 byron

byron

CNN V.J.

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 421 posts

Posted 25 March 2009 - 07:44 AM

I got a tweet from Don Riddell about some changes to the London line up...

Hey we're working on a few changes ... I should be able to say more soon!!

I asked about why Max is on WNE while he is on Today LDN.

#59 Charles

Charles

CNN Anchor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,270 posts

Posted 25 March 2009 - 08:05 AM

^^^

I wonder if perhaps there will be some changes to London's Today. I've enjoyed watching Max on WNE, but I think he's just temping. Perhaps Don will become a full time news anchor now?

While these changes may be exciting, the real changes need to be at Today HK-- it's not the same program it was a year ago with Hugh and Kristie together.

#60 byron

byron

CNN V.J.

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 421 posts

Posted 25 March 2009 - 08:35 AM

I would have preferred Adrian to host Today but Don is better than Max.

You are dead right about HK. They have some of the best talent of the network (KLS, Rao and even Coren and Stevens have improved a lot recently)

I can't see why Anna and Kristie can't co host the entire show from an updated set (like the one I suggested before with the huge plasma in the middle of the set with the new angle of HK, the image of HK does not have to be live it can be like London's just a really really nice image of the city)

Reply to this topic

1 user(s) are reading this topic

1 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users