Arwa Damon

486 replies to this topic

#21 Houston

Houston

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 4,138 posts

Posted 18 December 2007 - 06:41 PM

I just saw the (US) Promo for this show - not a mention of Arwa Damon - just the attention hog Dr. Guppy. Why is he even in this? Can't Ms. Damon cover her own story? And can't the real doctor donating his hospital and doing the surgery explain what is happening like he has in Arwa's pieces? I certainly hope there was a different promo on CNNI giving Arwa her due.

#22 Richard

Richard

CNN Copy Editor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 886 posts

Posted 18 December 2007 - 06:42 PM

Sorry Houston, but the CNNI one's just as bad - it's probably the same. I'll post it if I have time.

#23 Guest_Hugo_*

Guest_Hugo_*
  • Guests

Posted 18 December 2007 - 11:45 PM

But as I saw ths promo on CNNI it has Arwa on the beginning giving her own personal look into this story. 8)

#24 Houston

Houston

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 4,138 posts

Posted 19 December 2007 - 12:27 AM

Here's the US Promo. If you didn't know who Arwa was, you'd think she's just another member of the medical team. This is just wrong.
http://i131.photobuc...fan/Youssif.flv

#25 Spitfire

Spitfire

CNN Correspondent

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,034 posts

Posted 19 December 2007 - 11:14 AM

Yeah I am outraged by this as well. This was Arwa's story she risked her life in Iraq covering the story and Arwa has clearly bonded with Youssouf and his family in a special way.
Quote of the week
Holmesy on Hala
"Do not adjust your set she really is that beautiful."
YWT 14th November 2006

#26 cldsleyon

cldsleyon

CNN Viewer

• Members
  • Pip
  • 43 posts

Posted 19 December 2007 - 06:27 PM

Yeah I am outraged by this as well. This was Arwa's story she risked her life in Iraq covering the story and Arwa has clearly bonded with Youssouf and his family in a special way.

It is a shame that they wouldn't use her instead of the same old people Anderson, Wolf, and Gupta. This type of story is how CNN disrespect its employees especially CNNI ones. If it wasn't for Arwa and the bond between her and the family, people around the world wasn't going to feel the compassion and courage to help. Arwa was with the family throughout their ordeal and moving forward. Dr Gupta won't be there with his many jobs and obligations. I don't know if he is still a practicing doctor. It sames like he is always working outside of the hospital. When are his consultations and operations scheduled? Saturday or Sunday? :idea:

CNN was to take this opportunity and make Arwa a star around the world by associating her in the promotional work for the film and not just a reporter in Iraq. She is young and brave these kinds of work and projects comes ones in a lifetime. She might soon be leaving Iraq and then people will forget what she did. The same thing happened with Jane Araf she was the back bone of CNN invasion coverage into Iraq after that, she went into obscurity.

*i don;t know all about what happened with Jane's departure but i was just giving an example*

#27 Guest__*

Guest__*
  • Guests

Posted 20 December 2007 - 02:39 AM

Arwa owns this story, yet Sanjay gets to host the documentary on Christmas Eve? Shame on CNN.

Arwa deserves respect for all of her courageous reporting from Iraq. CNN fans know that. Why doesn't CNN?

#28 Thot

Thot

CNN Contributor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,309 posts

Posted 20 December 2007 - 01:55 PM

It looks that, despite the great job Arwa has been doing on CNN, in CNN ratings she is not a star. So they just use their stars to do a report that should be hers. Maybe she doesn't mind, because, since it's clear that she establish a link with Youssouf and his family , in the end of all, what's really important it's that the world doesn't forget Youssouf story, so he get all the help he can.
Humbleness is a beautiful virtue, It's seems Arwa has it in quantity. 8)
Posted Image

#29 Houston

Houston

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 4,138 posts

Posted 21 December 2007 - 01:25 AM

Maybe Arwa can live with it because she knows the truth, but I'm even more disgusted after seeing the piece on CNN Today HK with that egomanic. Me Me Me.

(Jane went to NBC, but now that you mention her - I haven't seen her on in quite a while. )

#30 Nexties

Nexties

CNN V.J.

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 321 posts

Posted 22 December 2007 - 01:31 PM

Please tune in to "Impact Your World - Rescuing Youssif" on Monday, Dec. 24 at 10pm ET. See Dr. Gupta with Baghdad-based correspondent Arwa Damon chronicle the recovery of Youssif, a young Iraqi boy, who was doused in gasoline and lit on fire in front of his Baghdad home.

Through contributions to the Children's Burn Foundation by CNN viewers and online users, he came to the U.S. and is undergoing reconstructive surgery at the Grossman Burn Center in LA.

Posted Image
Image courtesy of CNN. All credit goes to CNN, DR SANJAY GUPTA and CNN'S ARWA DAMON.

____________________________________________________________________________________________________________
Note to Moderator: Please feel free to move this post, if you know if there is a better way to share a post between two reporters.

#31 Richard

Richard

CNN Copy Editor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 886 posts

Posted 22 December 2007 - 01:39 PM

This show looks great, but I don't think I'll be watching it the first time it airs here in Britain - Christmas Day at 5AM :lol: . I'm sure it'll be repeated loads.

An incredibly inspiring story. Well done Arwa. 8)

MODERATOR: By the way, I think this thread needs putting into the Arwa Damon thread, where the other posts about Youssif are located.

#32 Morpium

Morpium

CNNFan.org Hero

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,260 posts

Posted 28 December 2007 - 09:00 AM

Arwa was in the London cube today. She looks a bit different with that makeup. I guess it could well have been the lighting.

#33 Thot

Thot

CNN Contributor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,309 posts

Posted 28 December 2007 - 03:32 PM

I would love to see Arwa reporting more often.
Posted Image

#34 David

David

CNN Copy Editor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 883 posts

Posted 29 December 2007 - 03:03 AM

She has been reporting in low amounts when she covers the Youssif bits. Is she going to be returning to Iraq now?

#35 Houston

Houston

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 4,138 posts

Posted 30 December 2007 - 06:03 PM

Attached File  AD 122707.jpg   29.15KB   1001 downloads

#36 Thot

Thot

CNN Contributor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,309 posts

Posted 10 January 2008 - 10:36 PM

^I missed that Arwa moment. :| I guess it was on the London Studios. Where is she now? I haven't seen any report from her since the one she did about the French smoking ban.
Posted Image

#37 Thot

Thot

CNN Contributor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,309 posts

Posted 12 January 2008 - 07:57 PM

I guess I got the answer to my question. Arwa is back to Baghdad.

http://edition.cnn.c... ... ideosearch

Posted Image

#38 Spitfire

Spitfire

CNN Correspondent

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,034 posts

Posted 09 February 2008 - 10:30 AM

Jolie Refuses To Answer Pregnancy Questions
Angelina Jolie scolded a TV reporter during a United Nations trip to Iraq after the journalist quizzed the star about her rumored pregnancy.

The actress is currently touring the Middle East in her role as a volunteer for the UN's High Commission for Refugees.

At the end of an interview with CNN on the plight of Iraqi refugees, the plucky reporter asked whether Jolie is expecting another baby with partner Brad Pitt.

Before Arwa Damon could finish her question, Jolie replied, "Oh don't. Stop it. Stay true to your tradition. You're CNN. Don't do it."

Quote of the week
Holmesy on Hala
"Do not adjust your set she really is that beautiful."
YWT 14th November 2006

#39 Houston

Houston

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 4,138 posts

Posted 16 March 2008 - 04:52 AM

Well Done.
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

#40 Thot

Thot

CNN Contributor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,309 posts

Posted 13 May 2008 - 09:18 PM

It's always great to see the work of my two favourite Iraq reporters: Arwa and Michael Ware.
I just don't have caps to show it. But I thought Arwa didn't deserve that her thread was in page no.2 already.

You can always visit CNN.com and wtach her previous reports. :wink:

http://search.cnn.co...Damon&x=13&y=15

PS: I'm also curious to know how Youssif is doing?!! I don't hear from him in a long time. Maybe his family wants more privacy.
Posted Image

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users