194 replies to this topic

#21 Lazlo

Lazlo

CNN Contributor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,039 posts

Posted 27 March 2010 - 08:50 AM

This tweet is a proof there is no Seoul bureau anymore, right?

Sounds like it. :-(

#22 Spitfire

Spitfire

CNN Correspondent

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,034 posts

Posted 28 March 2010 - 11:43 PM

Not happy with whats going on in the Rome bureau, 2 years ago we had Alessio Vinci and Jennifer Eccleston and now they are making do with non italian speaking temps like Diane Magnay.

Utterly ridiculous the amount of reporters based in London for CNN.
Quote of the week
Holmesy on Hala
"Do not adjust your set she really is that beautiful."
YWT 14th November 2006

#23 excel99

excel99

CNN Anchor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,837 posts

Posted 29 March 2010 - 09:52 AM

It is ridiulous but it's not just Rome - Baghdad too doesn't have a permanent correspondent. Why they don't give both bureau's a permanent correspondent I don't know.

#24 Leeroy

Leeroy

CNN Anchor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,771 posts

Posted 01 June 2010 - 07:20 AM

Does CNN have more international correspondents today than, say in 2004? I've been trying to find a list to compare.

#25 Gruffny

Gruffny

CNN Correspondent

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,619 posts

Posted 12 June 2010 - 01:04 PM

I saw they had a reporter in Sydney last night on their World Cup show, but I think he was the producer who mainly works with Atia Abawi in Afghanistan. CNNI should poach Nick Bryant from BBC and use him fulltime. I usually see at least 2 reports from him on news in Australia and the pacific every week, and they're stories you don't see anywhere else.

I also think they need to hire a fulltime correspondents based in Italy, Canada, Greece (do they have anyone there?), Malaysia and Pakistan.
Let's put the NEWS back into Cable NEWS Network.
less World Sport, more World Report.

#26 excel99

excel99

CNN Anchor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,837 posts

Posted 12 June 2010 - 03:33 PM

Reza Sayah seems to be full time in Pakistan at the moment

#27 Charles

Charles

CNN Anchor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,270 posts

Posted 13 June 2010 - 03:30 AM

Does CNN have more international correspondents today than, say in 2004? I've been trying to find a list to compare.

Thanks to the Wayback Machine and the CNN Asia Pacific site, here's a list of bureaux and bureaux chiefs from September 2004. It may take a while to load:

http://web.archive.o... ... ureaus.asp

From what I can tell, since that time, they've lost Seoul, Frankfurt, and Sydney (?). I think a CNNE correspondent is still in Buenos Aires.

Since then, going by the list Alexander posted in the last page of this thread, they've gained Abu Dhabi, Nairobi, Chennai, Mumbai, Madrid (though I think the CNN+ partnership launched well before 2004), Amman, Kabul, Istanbul, Bogota, Santiago, Orlando, Minneapolis, and New Orleans. I think that's all of them.

While we've seen a lot of great new correspondents join CNN since the 2007 bureau network expansion, including Atia Abawi, Ivan Watson, Christian Purefoy, Nkepile Mabuse, Stan Grant (again), David McKenzie, Sara Sidner, Reza Sayah, and others, it's still disheartening to see stalwarts like Alessio Vinci, Sohn Jie Ae, Jennifer Eccleston, Bettina Luscher, Harris Whitbeck, Lucia Newman, Jeff Koinange (yes, he was a good reporter), and countless others leave, many of whom were not replaced in some bureaux.

#28 excel99

excel99

CNN Anchor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,837 posts

Posted 13 June 2010 - 09:06 AM

I think a CNNE correspondent is still in Buenos Aires.

There is Bryan Byrnes in Arentina

Amman

I take it no correspondent is based there?

#29 newser

newser

CNN Correspondent

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,234 posts

Posted 13 June 2010 - 12:09 PM

Brian Byrnes is a freelancer based in Buenos Aires, so if he is on an assignment for other media outlet, CNN can't use him.

Ben Wedeman was Amman correspondent and bureau chief, but ever since he left for other countries in the neighborhood, there are no full time CNN correspondents in Jordan.

CNN had its bureau in Nairobi way before David McKenzie joined the network. I remember Catherine Bond was bureau chief there in the 90s and reported quiet often on various topics and conflicts throughout the region. But its not clear why the bureau was empty for years after Catherine left the network.

Also, Al Goodman has been CNN's Madrid bureau chief since 2000, but has regularly reported from Madrid for a number of years before that. CNN+ was launched I think in 1998 or 1999.

#30 Guy

Guy

CNN Intern

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 88 posts

Posted 13 June 2010 - 09:33 PM

CNNE does have a full bureau in Buenos Aires. Their correspondent there is Javier Doberti.

#31 Charles

Charles

CNN Anchor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,270 posts

Posted 14 June 2010 - 03:33 AM

Also, Al Goodman has been CNN's Madrid bureau chief since 2000, but has regularly reported from Madrid for a number of years before that. CNN+ was launched I think in 1998 or 1999.

Yes, that's what I thought, but it wasn't listed as an official bureau on that promotional site from 2004.

#32 Gruffny

Gruffny

CNN Correspondent

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,619 posts

Posted 17 June 2010 - 10:58 AM

Reza Sayah seems to be full time in Pakistan at the moment

Oops! I forgot about Reza. :oops:

#33 danifrench

danifrench

CNN Intern

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 118 posts

Posted 26 July 2010 - 05:25 PM

:surprised: I know there's a correspondent in Paris (Mr Bittermann) but i though the bureau was closed

#34 Gruffny

Gruffny

CNN Correspondent

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,619 posts

Posted 04 October 2010 - 08:09 AM

Guys I wonder if anyone can offer help. I'm wondering if CNNI has more or less correspondents today than it did in say, 2006?

Many people have left, and new people move in, but I think there have been a few that have never been replaced. It does feel at times that CNNI doesn't have as many international correspondents as they once did.

#35 Leeroy

Leeroy

CNN Anchor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,771 posts

Posted 05 October 2010 - 08:23 AM

^^ I'm not sure of a simple way to calculate and compare, but it seems there are now 2 less correspondents. :-(

#36 ginnyfan

ginnyfan

• Moderators
  • 10,459 posts

Posted 05 October 2010 - 11:31 AM

There's definitely less correspondents now than before, for example Rome - they didn't hire replacement since Alessio and Jen Eccleston left.
We'll back tomorrow , if they let us out of our cages. - Monita and Owen on CNN Today, 2008.

#37 Wilma

Wilma

CNN Copy Editor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 537 posts

Posted 18 October 2010 - 10:01 AM

It seems that a lot of CNN's international reporters just fly to countries where the stories are these days, instead of being permanently based in a particular country. I think this has had a bit of a detrimental affect to CNN's breadth of reporting. I would like to see more correspondents based in a particular country or region and file reports for tv and online on a regular basis. This is one area where I think AlJazeera English and BBC World News is great at. Don't get me wrong, I do like CNNI, but I feel they are more reactionary these days then their competition, and it wasn't always that way with CNNI.

#38 newser

newser

CNN Correspondent

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,234 posts

Posted 18 October 2010 - 01:51 PM

There's definitely less correspondents now than before, for example Rome - they didn't hire replacement since Alessio and Jen Eccleston left.

Add Seoul, Jakarta, Beirut, Bangkok, Mexico City, now even Kabul.

#39 excel99

excel99

CNN Anchor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,837 posts

Posted 18 October 2010 - 03:57 PM

Arwa is still nominally based in Jakarta isn't she? Though certainly someone needs to be full time in South East Asia now Dan has left Bangkok

With regards to Kabul, Atia seems to have left without much notice so it may take them time to appoint a permanent replacement

Edited by excel99, 18 October 2010 - 03:58 PM.

#40 Guy

Guy

CNN Intern

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 88 posts

Posted 19 October 2010 - 09:46 PM

Arwa is still nominally based in Jakarta isn't she?

Now that Cal Perry decided to leave, Arwa is moving to Beirut.

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users