194 replies to this topic

#41 Leeroy

Leeroy

CNN Anchor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,771 posts

Posted 20 October 2010 - 07:10 AM

Hmmm, I'm not sure how to feel about that move to Beirut for Arwa, but I guess it will be a change of scenery for her. Thanks for the update, Guy.

#42 Nuggle

Nuggle

CNN Correspondent

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,375 posts

Posted 01 November 2010 - 10:04 AM

It would seem that CNN does have a presence still in Rome. There's a producer, Hada Messia, who posts on the Belief Blog as "CNN's Hada Messia in Rome". I still think they need to have proper representation with a fulltime correspondent.

#43 Junk Junk.

Junk Junk.

CNN Anchor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,212 posts

Posted 01 November 2010 - 11:12 AM

It would seem that CNN does have a presence still in Rome. There's a producer, Hada Messia, who posts on the Belief Blog as "CNN's Hada Messia in Rome". I still think they need to have proper representation with a fulltime correspondent.

When did Alessio Vinci leave CNN? Wow, I had completely forgotten he even existed before I read your post Nuggle. :mellow:

#44 Wilma

Wilma

CNN Copy Editor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 537 posts

Posted 02 November 2010 - 08:20 AM

I think he left early 2009.

#45 Morpium

Morpium

CNNFan.org Hero

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,260 posts

Posted 10 November 2010 - 01:32 AM

Exciting news that Paula is moving to the Seoul bureau.

Award-winning journalist Paula Hancocks is to be based in Seoul for CNN Worldwide, it was announced today by Parisa Khosravi, Senior Vice President of International Newsgathering.

In this new role Hancocks will focus on covering stories from the Korean Peninsula and the surrounding region. The new position allows her to build further on her reputation as a tenacious and talented reporter after more than a decade working at CNN.

#46 newser

newser

CNN Correspondent

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,234 posts

Posted 10 November 2010 - 04:23 AM

That's great news! :thumbup:

#47 Leeroy

Leeroy

CNN Anchor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,771 posts

Posted 10 November 2010 - 07:22 AM

That is great news that CNN has a correspondent back in Seoul. I just hope they're not robbing Peter (Jerusalem) to pay Paul (Seoul). I wonder if they will get another fulltime reporter for the Jerusalem bureau, or if Kevin Flower's workload just got a bit busier with fulltime reporting, in addition to bureau chief.

#48 dezbee2008

dezbee2008

CNN Correspondent

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,302 posts

Posted 11 November 2010 - 12:01 AM

About time they send someone to Seoul since Sohn Jie-Ae left. Congrats to Paula :thumbup:
http://www.twitter.com/dezbee2008

Michael Holmes on Frederik Pleitgen:
"Only Fred Pleitgen can go 'hey, how's it going' to a bunch of Iraqi guys with guns" :lol:
- BackStory, April 16, 2009

"Thank you, Eunice Yoon. I look forward to working with you in the future, I think."
- Andrew Stevens on WBT, June 15, 2009

#49 Axl0706

Axl0706

CNN Copy Editor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 997 posts

Posted 19 December 2010 - 03:39 PM

I was just trying to figure out whether CNN has increased or decreased its number of offices and staff since 2006.

Beirut - no new correspondent since Cal Perry left. They once had two people there permanently with Brent Saddler and Anthony Mills

Jerusalem - They once had two correspondents plus Kevin Flower as bureau chief, now it seems like they are down to Kevin Flower alone when Paula leaves for South Korea

Kabul - no new permanent correspondent there since Attia Abawi left (but they are filling the gap with international correspondents flying in from other positions)

Bangkok - no new permanent correspondent there since Dan Rivers was transfered to London

Rome - no new permanent correspondent since Alecio Vinci left

Mexico City - no new permanent correspondent since Harris Whitback left

Bagdad - no permanent correspondent since Aneesh Raman left, Michael Ware is nowhere to be seen and Arwa Damon was assigned to Jakarta (but they are filling the gap with international correspondents flying in from other positions)

Seoul - since Sohn Ji-Ae left no permanent correspondent, position will probably be filled with Paule Hancocks

On the plus side:

Buenos Aires - Brian Byrns filing reports for CNN from there

Nairobi - office with David McKenzie as a permanent correspondent

Lagos - office with Christian Purefoy as a permanent correspondent

South Africa - permanentely staffed with two correspondents (Nkepile Mabuse and Robyn Curnow)

Berlin - permanentely staffed with two correspondents (Fred Pleitgen and Diana Magnay)

Abu Dhabi/Dubai - Mohammed Jamjoom and Leonie Lakhani

Edited by Axl0706, 19 December 2010 - 03:41 PM.

#50 excel99

excel99

CNN Anchor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,837 posts

Posted 19 December 2010 - 08:39 PM

Beirut - no new correspondent since Cal Perry left. They once had two people there permanently with Brent Saddler and Anthony Mills

Arwa's the Beirut correspondent now. (Of course that leaves Jakarta with no-one, and indeed with the Bangkok vacancy CNN has no correspondent in South East Asia at all currently)

Edited by excel99, 19 December 2010 - 08:41 PM.

#51 newser

newser

CNN Correspondent

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,234 posts

Posted 22 December 2010 - 08:10 PM

I hope that CNN+ shutdown doesn't mean that CNN's Madrid bureau is closing as well.

#52 Morpium

Morpium

CNNFan.org Hero

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,260 posts

Posted 22 December 2010 - 11:49 PM

CNN Combining Domestic, International Desks and Bureaus Under Tony Maddox

In a memo to staff this afternoon, CNN/U.S. chief Ken Jautz and CNN International chief Tony Maddox announced a new reporting structure for the domestic and international desks and bureaus as of January 1, 2011.

A spokesperson for CNN says the changes will not result in any layoffs.

TV Newser

#53 Lazlo

Lazlo

CNN Contributor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,039 posts

Posted 23 December 2010 - 06:03 AM

I wonder if this will enhance coverage on both networks?

Also, I wonder if the "One CNN Project" is behind the recent moves to share CNNI anchors on CNN US, and even CNNI using CNN's studio 7.

#54 ginnyfan

ginnyfan

• Moderators
  • 10,459 posts

Posted 23 December 2010 - 03:33 PM

It's about time they get a Rome reporter again. Today there's breaking news of explosions there and they got nobody, they will probably fly someone over from London later but still, Italy is a big important European country where something always happens, especially with Berlusconi. They have reporters in Spain, France, even 2 in Germany so why is Italy left out?
We'll back tomorrow , if they let us out of our cages. - Monita and Owen on CNN Today, 2008.

#55 Nelly

Nelly

CNN Copy Editor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 513 posts

Posted 26 December 2010 - 12:07 PM

I wonder if this will enhance coverage on both networks?

I bet we won't see any more international news coverage on CNNUS. :-(
"The one function TV news performs very well is that when there is no news we give it to you with the same emphasis as if there were." (David Brinkley)

#56 Riceo

Riceo

CNN Copy Editor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 813 posts

Posted 05 January 2011 - 12:35 PM

CNN Says Goodbye to San Francisco Bureau, Hello to Silicon Valley Bureau

TV Newser

#57 Dabir

Dabir

CNN Copy Editor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 503 posts

Posted 06 January 2011 - 12:55 PM

Hi everyone. I'm just wondering if CNN has more producers spread across the world than it has correspondents. I notice a few times when they go to a CNN producer on the phone from a location, instead of a correspondent. I'm just wondering also if they could get the producers in those countries to report on the news and not just breaking news. That way CNN would have a good pool of reports to choose from each day.

#58 Hamil

Hamil

CNN V.J.

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 418 posts

Posted 25 March 2011 - 07:24 AM

I hope nothing big breaks in India or Pakistan. With Sara in Hong Kong and Reza in Libya, it seems CNN doesn't have any correspondent on the ground in those 2 countries at the moment. I guess there's always Mallika, but she only seems to pop up every now and then.

#59 excel99

excel99

CNN Anchor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,837 posts

Posted 25 March 2011 - 04:03 PM

They could probably get someone from Abu Dhabi into India or Pakistan within a matter of hours if required. Not ideal, but they aren't as 'exposed' as if something big happenned in say Australia or Thailand

#60 newser

newser

CNN Correspondent

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,234 posts

Posted 25 March 2011 - 04:30 PM

And there's always Samson Desta, bureau chief for Islamabad and Kabul who I'm sure could jump-in during any really critical situations.

On another note, I'm really surprised Dan Rivers is still nowhere to be seen while some other bureaus are being decimated because of the situation in Middle East/North Africa.

Edited by newser, 25 March 2011 - 04:31 PM.

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users