41 replies to this topic

#1 Charles

Charles

CNN Anchor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,270 posts

Posted 15 May 2009 - 05:34 AM

Since we talk about international and national news channels so often, I thought that we might have a thread here about our local news channels, wherever you are. This thread may be a bit more interesting because every country is different in the way local news is set up.

I'll start...

Local news has gone downhill quite a bit in the States because fewer and fewer people watch it now, so they put on nothing but trashy news. The presentation of them is pretty much the same in every city now, with every newscast using the same tacky navy graphics, bad music, and more and more experienced anchors (the Jim Clancys and Alastair Yateses) are being laid off for younger, cheaper ones.

Here are some videos of the newscasts here in Denver:

KWGN CW 2 Denver. They just recently relaunched themselves and are trying to be cool and hip. Their new name is 'The Deuce'. Go ahead, laugh.

KDVR Fox 31 Denver

KCNC CBS 4 Denver. This is probably the least-bad newscast, and the graphics somewhat resemble CNNI in 2006.

KUSA NBC 9 Denver. This has been the #1 rated station for nearly 30 years.

I'm interested in seeing how other local newscasts are around the world. I somewhat understand the system in the UK, but I don't know how the local news is in Australia.

#2 Jon

Jon

CNN Contributor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,178 posts

Posted 15 May 2009 - 05:49 AM

KTTV/KCOP

KCAL/KCBS

KTLA

KNBC

In terms of design, most of these are flagship west stations for the major broadcasters, so they obviously have the budget to change every so often. I personally like KCBS/KCAL's resemblance to MSNBC, as well as KTLA for the most originality. The package was introduced a few years ago, and still looks fresh today. KNBC looks nice as usual, with KTTV and KCOP lagging behind in the 90's. KTLA also had the best newscast, which was anchored by longtime favorite Hal Fishman.

#3 Charles

Charles

CNN Anchor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,270 posts

Posted 15 May 2009 - 06:01 AM

^^^

It's interesting to see how many of them use the same graphics across the country. KTTV in LA and KDVR in Denver (among many others) use the same, FNC-style graphics, and KCBS in LA and KCNC in Denver had very similar (and rather good) graphics until about a year ago.

Out of that bunch you posted, I like KTLA's the best. It's a shame their sister station in Denver (KWGN) looks so awful and doesn't use KTLA's graphics.

#4 Jon

Jon

CNN Contributor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,178 posts

Posted 15 May 2009 - 06:08 AM

^^^

It's interesting to see how many of them use the same graphics across the country. KTTV in LA and KDVR in Denver (among many others) use the same, FNC-style graphics, and KCBS in LA and KCNC in Denver had very similar (and rather good) graphics until about a year ago.

Yeah, those major networks require a certain mandate throughout all stations. Shame really, since it smothers out creativity. Especially Fox. I'm just glad KTLA stuck with their current package.

Here's a better video of KCAL/KCBS.

Another funny thing regarding LA based stations. Most major broadcasters own dual stations here. KTTV/KCOP is owned by News Corp, KCBS/KCAL by CBS, KNBC/KVEA by NBC Universal, etc.

#5 Charles

Charles

CNN Anchor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,270 posts

Posted 15 May 2009 - 06:22 AM

Yeah, those major networks require a certain mandate throughout all stations. Shame really, since it smothers out creativity. Especially Fox. I'm just glad KTLA stuck with their current package.

Another funny thing regarding LA based stations. Most major broadcasters own dual stations here. KTTV/KCOP is owned by News Corp, KCBS/KCAL by CBS, KNBC/KVEA by NBC Universal, etc.

It doesn't really surprise me to see stations in the bigger markets (New York, LA, Chicago, Philadelphia) all use the same graphics and all be so closely-tied to their affiliate network, since they are all owned by those networks, but it's really disturbing in a market like Denver when most of the stations here are owned by other companies (except for KCNC is owned by CBS, and KDVR was owned by Fox until recently.) This has been a trend recently in the last 5-10 years across the country. For example, KMGH, who is owned by McGraw-Hill and not ABC, has shifted from calling themselves Denver's 7 to ABC7, and they now use the same music and graphics as KABC, who are owned by ABC.

#6 dezbee2008

dezbee2008

CNN Correspondent

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,302 posts

Posted 15 May 2009 - 02:04 PM

Here is a sample of my local stations here.

WFTV, ABC Affiliate:

They just got the new openings, and their graphics are almost a few years old. Nonetheless, they are the top rated station in Central Florida. This is my favorite by the way.

WESH, NBC Affiliate:

These guys are usually second, and yes, they boast about being the 'number one' station in Florida. This is my second favorite (but haven't watched it since the only hispanic weather guy left.

WKMG, CBS Affiliate:

They recently scrapped their 4pm and 5pm newscasts and instead went with the one hour 6pm news (leaving Katie Couric and the CBS Evening News at 7). Right now, it's the most hated news station in the area.

WOFL, FOX O&O:

Highest rated 10pm newscast in the area. Owned by News Corp.
http://www.twitter.com/dezbee2008

Michael Holmes on Frederik Pleitgen:
"Only Fred Pleitgen can go 'hey, how's it going' to a bunch of Iraqi guys with guns" :lol:
- BackStory, April 16, 2009

"Thank you, Eunice Yoon. I look forward to working with you in the future, I think."
- Andrew Stevens on WBT, June 15, 2009

#7 Spitfire

Spitfire

CNN Correspondent

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,034 posts

Posted 15 May 2009 - 05:52 PM

Unless something truly catastrophic has happened I never watch local news, after watching global news channels CNN, AJE, France 24 they seem too narrow and parochial, hardly ever watch national news either. Got to be global for me.
Quote of the week
Holmesy on Hala
"Do not adjust your set she really is that beautiful."
YWT 14th November 2006

#8 Charles

Charles

CNN Anchor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,270 posts

Posted 15 May 2009 - 09:34 PM

Unless something truly catastrophic has happened I never watch local news, after watching global news channels CNN, AJE, France 24 they seem too narrow and parochial, hardly ever watch national news either. Got to be global for me.

Same here. I still watch local TV news from time to time, but for the most part, I've gone to written sources, which go much more in depth than local TV. Though unfortunately, Denver's oldest and most venerable newspaper, the Rocky Mountain News, just closed after 150 years (that's just 8 months younger than the city itself), and I don't like the other paper, so I read an independent one.

#9 zack10

zack10

CNN V.J.

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 339 posts

Posted 15 May 2009 - 10:35 PM

I live in the Philadelphia market and I will say we have great Local TV here. They can be sensational here but all the stations are top notch and own by CBS,NBC,ABC,FOX,CW,WB. They use the network graphics and have some elements of in their openings. The stations have money because we are the fourth biggest TV market behind New York, LA, CHI. There is a huge rivalry for second place because 6ABC WPVI has been the leader for 40 years. NBC10 and CBS3 go back and forth.

#10 dezbee2008

dezbee2008

CNN Correspondent

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,302 posts

Posted 16 May 2009 - 12:21 AM

There is a huge rivalry for second place because 6ABC WPVI has been the leader for 40 years. NBC10 and CBS3 go back and forth.

Really? Same with WFTV Channel 9. They were first for 31, almost 32 years, but recently they've been in a ratings battle with WESH (pronounced like 'wish' with an e) 2 for first place. Local 6 and Fox 35 have been flip-flopping between 3rd and 4th, but like I said in my previous post, Local 6 is the most hated station because they change too much, the latest moves being hiring a new ND (who came from Houston's Local 2, so Houston, you'll know who it is) to replace a controversial one that had retired, and they scrapped their 4pm and 5pm newscasts and went with the one-hour 6pm news. They recently laid off three young reporters (and young meaning 23-29)

WESH 2 changed a lot, too. In fact, the morning crew have been there for 2 years, the evening crew since 2006, even though one of them (Jim Payne) has been there nearly 25 years (Utah visitors, think Wendy Chioji).

FOX 35 was the most hated local news station before this year because of their fair share of controversy. In fact, one time a sports reporter cried foul after he was 'shoved' by the former ND, but the ND kept his job until late last year, and the sports guy was fired.

But WFTV Channel 9 is the dominating news station here. The only major change they have in the past 12 months was the sports department (Atlanta visitors, think Zach Kelin). We have 2, and both joined last year. All the anchors (morning, noon, night) have been at the station for at least 17 years. The two weekend anchors have been at the station for up to 2 years. They recently have 2 new reporters. Anyway, this is considered my favorite station because of all this. While other station keep changing their anchor staff, WFTV kept theirs.

"Only Fred Pleitgen can go 'hey, how's it going' to a bunch of Iraqi guys with guns" :lol:

"Thank you, Eunice Yoon. I look forward to working with you in the future, I think."

#11 zack10

zack10

CNN V.J.

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 339 posts

Posted 16 May 2009 - 02:33 AM

This was from last year but it is the most recent article with all the info I wanted

Mostly Sunny in Philadelphia
WPVI continues to dominate, but look who's No. 2
By Michael Malone -- Broadcasting & Cable, 3/9/2008 6:00:00 PM MT

ABC O&O WPVI has long ruled Philadelphia television, and the station once again asserted itself in February. It took total day ratings along with morning, evening and late news, all by comfortable margins.

Perhaps the more intriguing story is who clocked in at No. 2 in late news. With new station leadership and talent, not to mention a boost from that little performance show called American Idol, WTXF's 10 p.m. newscast was second its 6.2 household rating/10 share inching out KYW's 6.1/12 at 11 p.m.

VP/General Manager Mike Renda, who came from another Fox O&O, WJW Cleveland, last spring, has set his sights on the next rung on the ladder. "We're pretty close to the market leader," he says (WPVI did an 8.8/17 in late news). "We feel we have the horses to go after them."

As befits the fourth largest Nielsen DMA, the networks own the big station players. Managers say revenue is somewhere between flat and down a tick; auto continues to hold back, and the stations are still waiting for retail outlets to fill the advertising breach left in 2005, when May Department Stores, which ran the Strawbridge store in Philly, was acquired by Macy's. The new owners closed or absorbed the Strawbridge stores in 2006.

Local TV pulled in $698.8 million last year, according to BIA Financial, with a forecast of $789.7 for 2008. WPVI, of course, led the revenue pack in 2006 with $196.2 million, ahead of NBC-owned WCAU with $130.6 million, CBS-owned KYW with $130 million, and WTXF's $107.9 million. CBS owns the CW outlet, and Tribune owns the MyNetworkTV (MNT) station. Univision-owned WUVP rolls out 6 p.m. and 11 p.m. newscasts this week.

WPVI is headed up by Bernie Prazenica, who spent two decades in Philly before coming back in November. The president/general manager says WPVI's success stems from strong syndicated product such as Wheel of Fortune, as well as consistency in its newscasts. "There's stability of format and stability of people there," he says. "We've got a legacy of trust with viewers' they believe in what we do."

Stations have ample resources to enhance their programming; WTXF and KYW are in new facilities, and WPVI moves into one next year. KYW, which claimed a Murrow Award last summer, will launch locally focused microsites dedicated to topics like nightlife and sports. Ratings are rising at MNT outlet WPHL, says VP/General Manager Vince Giannini, on the strength of double-runs of Two and a Half Men and the network's Street Patrol show. Sam Zell's takeover of Tribune has spelled stability for the station, he adds: "Sam picked the house up off its foundation, shook it, and put it back down. If you can still get up and walk around, you're ok".

It even got better for WPVI ABC, CBS3 had to fire its two multi Million Dollar anchors Alicia Lynn and Larry Mente . Over at NBC10 Renee Fatah the wive of Rep. Chaka Fatah is on leave. She is a Philly Icon.
The biggest lead for 6abc is when Jim Gardner is on. He has been with the station for 30 plus years and is on the same level as the Former Phillie's commentator Harry Kalas. For 6ABC it is stability and the "Action News" theme. He kills NBC and CBS combine at 6 pm. He has like 12.1 while the others have 5 and 6.

#12 byron

byron

CNN V.J.

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 421 posts

Posted 16 May 2009 - 10:17 AM

Here is a video of the local news I watch.

As you can see Australian news presentation is incredibly conservative. The entire bulletin is desk bound and only a number of bulletins around the country have an animated key or movement on the set.

#13 suus

suus

CNN Viewer

• Members
  • Pip
  • 45 posts

Posted 16 May 2009 - 12:51 PM

Local news in my country has changed since the past..hm what will it be, 10 years. It used to be 'outward' looking, with major headlines being about global situations. Now, it's gotten more and more: 'what's happening in the Netherlands', to the point of 'a baby pelican is born in the zoo'. That's yer 8 o'clock news.. So, I've lost interest in the Dutch news broadcasting. Also, when something really important happens, they just show footage of CNN here, and then talk through the English to translate, which makes it completely incomprehensible.
I think it's an interesting phenomenon though, that the local news really has become very inward. It says something about the world today, I think.
As I write this, I think I misunderstood the thread. You mean local local..Very local. Oh well.

#14 Jon

Jon

CNN Contributor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,178 posts

Posted 26 June 2009 - 08:21 PM

KTLA changed their graphics a few months ago. Seems like a minor improvement to the one before. Funny thing. I've just noticed how they "copied" CNN's flipper.

Despite that, they've really been innovative with it. Call it a CNNi 2006 flipper/CNN domestic 2008 ticker. Much like ESPN's bottom line.

#15 Charles

Charles

CNN Anchor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,270 posts

Posted 02 July 2009 - 08:06 AM

^^^

That looks very nice, especially compared to the crap channel that my CW affiliate has turned into (see my original post).

My favorite local news design I've seen is WBZ in Boston. I watch it whenever I visit there (which is often), but I'm glad I found a nice video of it online. Their graphics are a nice, colorful combination of CNNI in 2006 and HLN's morning graphics, and they use the CBS eye logo very well. The music is really nice, unlike anything else I've heard on TV. Plus, they use their historic call signs, which I think is such a nice touch. Feels much more local to call it that than CBS 4 like so many other CBS stations that are on channel no. 4.

Here's that video:

#16 dezbee2008

dezbee2008

CNN Correspondent

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,302 posts

Posted 02 July 2009 - 01:40 PM

And one more from my area...

Central Florida News 13 (24-hour local news channel)

#17 Charles

Charles

CNN Anchor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,270 posts

Posted 29 July 2009 - 05:11 AM

This was probably the first news broadcast I began religiously following:

It was a solid newscast from experienced anchors with fantastic presentation. This is the same channel in that awful first video in the first post of this thread.

And Houston, I doubt you read this thread, but if you do, isn't Casey Curry on a Houston channel now? Oh, and Vinita Nair was on WB2 at this time too...it was a shock when I saw her on ABC News several years later.

#18 Houston

Houston

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 4,138 posts

Posted 29 July 2009 - 05:35 AM

Well, I read everything now...

That is awesome to see younger Casey. She is here now - on the early news of ABC affiliate. I tape it every morning just because of her. She's so different - can't figure her out.
(and Vinita Nair is on right before them. I think she's great. She would be good at CNN Today London with Adrian.)

I'll post some of Casey's broadcast - I think that morning crew are the best team in Houston.

#19 Houston

Houston

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 4,138 posts

Posted 31 July 2009 - 06:45 AM

Here's the opening couple of minutes:
http://i131.photobuc...n/13Opening.flv

And they do a great job on world news, better than some of the cable news,(um, CNN...)
http://i131.photobuc...13WorldNews.flv

I'll post a couple more later - why Casey is so fun to watch and Tom's signature ending to the broadcast.

#20 Charles

Charles

CNN Anchor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,270 posts

Posted 31 July 2009 - 07:11 AM

Thanks for those videos. It's nice to see more world news from local channels (even if the globe is spinning the wrong way in their graphics). It's also nice to see Casey Curry again (and in a slightly larger market). I think she did the weather on the evening news here, and she was very good at it, but then she just disappeared one day.

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users