41 replies to this topic

#21 nodefault

nodefault

CNN Intern

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 79 posts

Posted 01 August 2009 - 06:43 AM

Thought y'all might like to see the news opens here in Atlanta since CNN is HQ'ed here and all. ;-) I was surprised to see that most of the Atlanta opens on youtube were either of relatively poor quality or out of date.

Without further ado... here are a couple of the opens. I just recently gained the ability to capture HD, so I'm slowly getting around to the big 4 - this completes ABC and FOX, and next week I'll try to get the local NBC and CBS opens. Click on the video itself and then the "HD" icon on the youtube page for the best possible (HD) quality.

WSB (ABC affiliate - Cox owned) open:

Far and away WSB is the news leader in Atlanta - both in ratings and in my own personal opinion. They are owned by Cox, they also own the preeminent newspaper in Atlanta, The Atlanta Journal-Constitution. They've used some variant of that music for probably the past 10 years. The open has generally stayed rather similar, too... they made a few changes to it when they went HD a few years back. Monica Pearson (formerly Monica Kauffman) is an institution in Atlanta, she started anchoring in 1975 at WSB and has stuck with them ever since. She also made history as the first woman news anchor in Atlanta.

WAGA (FOX O&O):

I really like the shot of the control room and little bit of control room audio (even if it is recorded and kind of fake). Kind of has a BackStory feel to it, but we get a pull of the fader bar instead of the poke. ;-)

Any questions, comments or requests? I'll try my best to fill them.

#22 nodefault

nodefault

CNN Intern

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 79 posts

Posted 22 August 2009 - 03:59 AM

Continuing the Atlanta local news opens...

WGCL (Atlanta CBS affiliate - Meredith owned)

WXIA (Atlanta NBC affiliate - Gannett owned)

#23 Charles

Charles

CNN Anchor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,273 posts

Posted 27 August 2009 - 05:03 AM

Does anybody else have to deal with this crap from their local news stations?

So Fox sells our local Fox station in Denver to some nascent broadcasting company, and our Tribune-owned CW station (the oldest and perhaps most-respected television station in Colorado) merge with the Fox station. They get a new general manager from a back of the woods station in Alabama, who fired almost all of the good news anchors and journalists, including a news anchor who'd worked here for 25 years. He renamed one channel as "The Deuce", and much of the news on both channels now is editorially sponsored by advertisers.

Could it get any worse? Yes, apparently. Two of the anchoresses are posing semi-nude for a local magazine.
http://blogs.westwor..._from_ancho.php

I wanted to hear your opinion on this. Does this happen with the local news channels you watch?

#24 dezbee2008

dezbee2008

CNN Correspondent

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,302 posts

Posted 30 August 2009 - 06:39 PM

Check out the new DMA ranking for local TV markets.

My local market (Orlando-Daytona Beach-Melbourne) stayed the same at 19.
http://www.twitter.com/dezbee2008

Michael Holmes on Frederik Pleitgen:
"Only Fred Pleitgen can go 'hey, how's it going' to a bunch of Iraqi guys with guns" :lol:
- BackStory, April 16, 2009

"Thank you, Eunice Yoon. I look forward to working with you in the future, I think."
- Andrew Stevens on WBT, June 15, 2009

#25 Charles

Charles

CNN Anchor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,273 posts

Posted 30 August 2009 - 08:31 PM

...and mine moved up two. That's surprising. Maybe they'll use the extra ad money to make a higher quality newscast sans-stripper anchors, yeah?

#26 Jon

Jon

CNN Contributor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,178 posts

Posted 30 August 2009 - 09:36 PM

I think we're pretty stable, save for a few budget cuts. But to be fair, I don't watch a bunch of local news anymore. Car chases got too boring for me, I guess.

#27 Charles

Charles

CNN Anchor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,273 posts

Posted 30 August 2009 - 09:49 PM

Same here. I can't remember the last time I watch the local news. Instead of doing stories about things that are of interest to the entire city, such as issues in local government, new buildings being built downtown, local business, or our city's drug problem, we get stories about lost and found parrots, weather, sports, weather, filler stories from places other than here, and, oh, did I mention weather? I go to online publications for my local news now.

#28 dezbee2008

dezbee2008

CNN Correspondent

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,302 posts

Posted 31 August 2009 - 12:09 AM

Same here. I can't remember the last time I watch the local news. Instead of doing stories about things that are of interest to the entire city, such as issues in local government, new buildings being built downtown, local business, or our city's drug problem, we get stories about lost and found parrots, weather, sports, weather, filler stories from places other than here, and, oh, did I mention weather? I go to online publications for my local news now.

We have a lot of stories about local government problems, murder rate, shark bites, businesses closing, and budget cuts here. But they do have a mix of things like, what you said, lost and found parrots. Can't complain over here.

But if I had to complain, almost every newscast here starts with either finding/searching for a missing person (we have a 28-year-old feared dead, and a 6-year-old missing here), a bank/drug pharmacy/restaurant robbery, or a murder, especially on the morning and early evening newscasts.
http://www.twitter.com/dezbee2008

Michael Holmes on Frederik Pleitgen:
"Only Fred Pleitgen can go 'hey, how's it going' to a bunch of Iraqi guys with guns" :lol:
- BackStory, April 16, 2009

"Thank you, Eunice Yoon. I look forward to working with you in the future, I think."
- Andrew Stevens on WBT, June 15, 2009

#29 Charles

Charles

CNN Anchor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,273 posts

Posted 31 August 2009 - 05:16 AM

^^^

At least here, I wouldn't say they cover the real news stories (local government, development, business, etc.) adequately. I watched my late local news tonight, and half of the 35 minutes were devoted to weather and sport. In the other half, they glanced over real news stories, but mostly had filler stories such as brides finding cheap wedding dresses during the recession, or murders/crime/etc. If it bleeds, it leads.

I would watch my local news if they covered important local stories, or even national and international stories from a local perspective, but they just don't do that. Instead, I read the one newspaper left in town, our city's biz journal, an alternative weekly and their various blogs, a few specialty blogs that cover downtown development and local media, and I get my five day forecast on my iPhone. That's all I need.

#30 StayConnected

StayConnected

CNN Intern

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 247 posts

Posted 20 September 2009 - 09:27 PM

That's a nice flashback, I remember being very excited but also disappointing at first cause it seemed like all the openings and music were the same. Later I realized they weren't and how great the whole look was, so many great tunes.
Also at the end of that video there's a nice mix of the upbeat tune and the signature CNN theme, shame they didn't use it more.

Last WN with Ralitsa now! :-(

I totally agree with you! The tunes sound the same, but when you listen again they are absolutely different! It is (one of) the best TV channel designs I have ever seen so far. Here in Holland it is laughable compared to that 2006 CNN look!

Maybe it is funny to see (awaiting the New CNN look) how things look like in my country.
Here is a video of the Dutch NOS Journaal (from the Public Broadcasters, the most watched news program In holland with ratings around the 1,5 - 2 million viewers at 8pm CET) Seconds in black, shows normally a video with the subject and includes spoken words of the anchor:

And here is a compliation HD video of the tunes of the RTL Nieuws (RTL News) morning edition, overday edition, EditieNL (DutchEdition, with only news coming out of the Netherlands), evening news (most important broadcast) RTL Weather, Breaking News and the late edition. RTL News is from the commerical based broadcasters (with ratings around 1 million viewers at 7:30pm CET) as you can see, the music and pictures look different but have some similarities (like CNN now has)

Both news programs don't include tickers, or any other information beams (only for the name of the person who's talking at that moment) however the RTL Z News (the financial orientated version of the RTL News) DOES include a news/stocks ticker like CNBC has

I hope you like it :D I just wanted to show you the difference between the US and The Netherlands!
This has been CNN Breaking News, out of the Netherlands ;-)

No matter where news happens, CNN is there.

#31 ginnyfan

ginnyfan

• Moderators
  • 10,474 posts

Posted 20 September 2009 - 09:34 PM

I like the first one, it seems to be inspired by BBC both in music and graphics.
We'll back tomorrow , if they let us out of our cages. - Monita and Owen on CNN Today, 2008.

#32 Houston

Houston

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 4,162 posts

Posted 28 December 2009 - 02:31 AM

I have to give my local news credit - no cancelled broadcasts, and pretty much the regular anchors doing their usual shifts.
And shockingly, even one of the really "top" anchors at ABC13 did the Saturday night shift filling in for the usuals. Can you image the likes of Cooooper filling in for Don Lemon?

#33 Charles

Charles

CNN Anchor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,273 posts

Posted 30 May 2010 - 11:08 PM

CBS is mandating that all their stations look exactly the same now. WCBS in New York, KCBS in Los Angeles, and now KCNC in Denver have picked up the same graphics package, with KTVT in Dallas and a few others to follow.

WCBS, New York: (Open starts at :05)

KCBS, Los Angeles:

KCNC, Denver:

#34 sky303

sky303

CNN Copy Editor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 712 posts

Posted 04 July 2010 - 04:55 AM

I live in Colorado Springs Colorado do get some of the Local channels from Denver but our stations which are hard to find on video. They cover really the whole South-east part of my state. All the news is in HD except for our Fox Staton's News. Only one station has local morning news after 7am and only 1 has weekend news in the Am. So that's my local news

#35 Charles

Charles

CNN Anchor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,273 posts

Posted 06 July 2010 - 04:04 AM

^^^

I live in Denver. I've never seen any of the news from Colorado Springs. I've always heard that the stations down there have poor production quality. It's strange that nobody has uploaded anything from those stations onto YouTube. I'd like to see what they have down there.

#36 sky303

sky303

CNN Copy Editor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 712 posts

Posted 06 July 2010 - 04:19 AM

here's a look from one of our stations in Colorado Springs KOAA-TV http://www.newsfirst5.com/video/

#37 jjlucash

jjlucash

CNN Intern

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 175 posts

Posted 06 July 2010 - 08:57 PM

CBS is mandating that all their stations look exactly the same now. WCBS in New York, KCBS in Los Angeles, and now KCNC in Denver have picked up the same graphics package, with KTVT in Dallas and a few others to follow.

WCBS, New York: (Open starts at :05)

_y72EPrkQVA

KCBS, Los Angeles:

rJcE0uR4_6I

KCNC, Denver:

0dLZi4h_yFk

I believe it's the same for local Fox stations except for Fox 8 in my hometown of New Orleans, and Fox 44 here in Baton Rouge is slightly different than the rest of the Fox franchises. The Fox stations are being made to look similar to Fox News. I actually like the idea of unifying the set-ups of the local stations.

#38 Houston

Houston

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 4,162 posts

Posted 09 August 2010 - 08:14 AM

One of the smaller stations in Houston, Channel 39, that no one watches anyway, is going to a newscast this fall without anchors or reporters:
"Channel 39 will end its traditional newscasts by this fall to launch a new format called NewsFix, which discards on-camera anchors and reporters and focuses on natural sound and video to tell stories."
Interesting concept.

#39 Charles

Charles

CNN Anchor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,273 posts

Posted 09 August 2010 - 08:44 AM

Yes, I had read about that a few weeks ago. I think that if Tribune pulls it off like Euronews with good reporting and clean graphics, it might have a chance.

I have a feeling the Tribune station in Denver might be getting this format too. Tribune said they're going to bring it to other stations, and the one here is a shell of its former self after its ill-conceived rebrand as a youth-oriented newscast where they called themselves "The Deuce" for all of a few months.

#40 Morpium

Morpium

CNNFan.org Hero

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,260 posts

Posted 06 September 2010 - 06:33 AM

I guess these could be considered "local news" to someone here. I've started uploading a few news broadcasts from around the world with more to come during the week.

France 2: '20H' [Weekend]
NDTV, India
NTV, Russia
TRT, Turkey

I was too lazy to Google presenter names or bulletin names. :sorry:

EDIT: One more for this afternoon...

Polsat, Poland: 'Wydarzenia' [Weekend]

Edited by Morpium, 06 September 2010 - 07:27 AM.

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users