115 replies to this topic

#1 Leeroy

Leeroy

CNN Anchor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,771 posts

Posted 27 May 2009 - 06:38 PM

Weekends are a joke on CNN International. Everyone seems to agree. We've posted thoughts on the issue in different topics, but I thought I would kick off a proper discussion on weekends.

Firstly, I love CNNI. I truly do. I wouldn't be here if I didn't. With that said, with the exception of a Rosemary bulletin, I don't really watch CNNI on the weekends.

The fact that we can go up to 4 hours before you see a 30 minute news bulletin is a JOKE. Not something you'd expect to see on a GLOBAL news network. You'd probably see more news on a local commercial television station than you do on CNNI on Saturday and Sunday.

The thing that really burns is that it wasn't always like this. And there's no reason for it now. Everybody is already there! It's not going to cost any more to actually have live news on the hour!

I'm not talking about dumping Larry King or The Situation Room, but there's no excuse, other than sheer ignorance, for running canned programs for 4 hours straight!

Surely someone at the network can see that they throw away any of the good work they do during the week once the weekend comes around?

Why the change in attitude from a couple of years ago? Who is allowing the rot to settle in on weekends?

How a network that encourages people to watch episodes of their weekend programs ONLINE, ANYTIME, believes that people will sit through endless repeats on the weekend is beyond me.

It may be ok for those in charge to leave work on Friday and not worry about CNNI until Monday, but for those of us in the real world, the actual viewers, it does matter that we have to go to other channels to find out what is going on. To be honest, it should matter to those in charge too. But given the complete contempt for viewers they've shown so far, I don't expect anything to change.

#2 zack10

zack10

CNN V.J.

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 339 posts

Posted 27 May 2009 - 08:40 PM

Preach it Leeroy. PREACH, I feel you

#3 suus

suus

CNN Viewer

• Members
  • Pip
  • 45 posts

Posted 27 May 2009 - 10:19 PM

Uh, I have to admit, I just don't watch much tv in the weekends. And I suppose that could be the reason. I am not sure though.

#4 Jeffmister

Jeffmister

CNN Intern

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 88 posts

Posted 28 May 2009 - 07:23 AM

Agree, BBC World News still has bulletins at the TOTH (top of the hour) on weekends & if they can have bulletins on the weekend - why can't CNNI?

#5 Morpium

Morpium

CNNFan.org Hero

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,260 posts

Posted 28 May 2009 - 12:38 PM

I've learnt not to make posts when I'm tired or cranky - both moods I'm in at the moment - so I'll keep it brief.

I agree with everyone. Weekends are a disaster! Sunday, in particular, is beyond a joke.

The shame of it all is that nobody in charge seems to be willing to change, nor do they care to change, because it would have been fixed up already. It's not that hard to see what needs to be done.

I agree with Leeroy on the point about closing down for the weekends. It seems that those in charge figure that if they're not watching CNNI on the weekend, nobody else is either.

Closing down on weekends used to be considered something CNN Domestic did. They now have more live programming on weekends than CNN International.

#6 Axl0706

Axl0706

CNN Copy Editor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 997 posts

Posted 28 May 2009 - 03:16 PM

Well, you guys nailed it! I totally agree with your points!

The only reason I'm watching CNN on the weekends is because of Rosemary. It's really frustrating: When you miss the 1800CET edition of World News you won't get a full update until 2200CET - that's ridiculous for a global news network!

What bothers me the most is that I'm not able to come up with a reasonable explanation why they've decided to cut down the number of live shows. Are they trying to save money? I don't think that it would be that expensive to have a full bulletin at the top of the hour since producers, editors and anchors are already at work...

#7 dezbee2008

dezbee2008

CNN Correspondent

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,302 posts

Posted 28 May 2009 - 03:27 PM

My reason to watch weekends: To catch up on shows I might've missed during the week (even the ones I don't like), or to watch the news.

I think the weekends are more messed up. 5 years ago, I usually watch CNN on the weekends because it was on CNNfn. Now, unless it's something I missed during the week (or to watch new episodes of World Report, iReport for CNN, and Inside Africa, or to watch BackStory again, or to watch CNN Today on Sunday nights) I don't watch CNN on the Weekends.
http://www.twitter.com/dezbee2008

Michael Holmes on Frederik Pleitgen:
"Only Fred Pleitgen can go 'hey, how's it going' to a bunch of Iraqi guys with guns" :lol:
- BackStory, April 16, 2009

"Thank you, Eunice Yoon. I look forward to working with you in the future, I think."
- Andrew Stevens on WBT, June 15, 2009

#8 Morpium

Morpium

CNNFan.org Hero

• Members
  • 5,260 posts

Posted 28 May 2009 - 04:01 PM

Exactly. Look, I wouldn't mind seeing a canned show repeated 2 or 3 hours later (it already happens on the weekends) as long as there is a live news bulletin on the hour, every hour.

Ralitsa, Natalie and Rosemary are already working 8 hour shifts. Having the ladies, especially Natalie and Rosie sitting around for up to two hours with nothing more than two minute headlines updates every 30 mins is not good enough.

My gawd, not even Sky News Australia - the cheapest news channel in the world - closes down on like CNNI does on weekends (they have live news on the hour for 30 mins with 60 min bulletins spread across the day and evening, along with canned programs at the :30 mark).

#9 Leeroy

Leeroy

CNN Anchor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,771 posts

Posted 28 May 2009 - 05:03 PM

CNN International is more like the Lifestyle Channel on weekends. Like all of you, I'm not against the canned shows. Far from it! The only way CNNI will be restored to its former glory on weekends is by not forcing people to switch over the AJE or BBC or Sky News and restore the news bulletins on the hour!

I honestly can't believe how someone goes into work at CNN Center knowing they have completely f**ked up any chances of being "the place" to go for news on the weekends. So disappointing.

#10 Charles

Charles

CNN Anchor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,272 posts

Posted 28 May 2009 - 05:32 PM

I don't even bother tuning in CNNI on weekends anymore. I like some of the canned shows, but I watch them on my own time online. I turn on the TV to get live news, not the canned shows, so that's why I watch BBCWN and AJE on the weekends. Their weekend and weekday schedules are mostly the same.

Even their website seems to shut down on weekends, too. Well, I suppose it doesn't 'shut down', but rather, they tag the most ridiculous non-news stories as the top story. Here's a comparison I made last month:

Posted Image

#11 Nuggle

Nuggle

CNN Correspondent

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,375 posts

Posted 29 May 2009 - 07:05 AM

What? Does CNNI even broadcast on weekends? :-P

Yeah, the website is bad on weekends too. The flipper on the recorded shows doesn't seem to be updated for 24 hours and there is NO NEWS! Unless you are a die hard fan like us here you won't know when the regular news bulletins is on. I don't think CNN cares about covering the news on the weekends and only look at it as an inconvenience. Unless it happens in the 4 hours of prime time from Europe on Monday to Friday, it doesn't matter to CNN it seems.

Yeah, I would definitely want more news on CNN weekends. Like you all, I don't get it. It's just stupid and wrong. For shame CNN, for shame! :evil:

#12 Axl0706

Axl0706

CNN Copy Editor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 997 posts

Posted 29 May 2009 - 03:04 PM

I just want to stress that the canned shows aren't bad programs or something - I like most of them! But as a newsjunkie I get nervous when I listen to the headlines but don't get the details :oops: :lol: So I usually switch to AJE or BBCWN rather than watching Political Man, World's Untold Stories or Talk Asia knowing that these programs will probably be replayed anyhow numerous times within the next few hours and I'll be able to catch them later...

#13 dexter

dexter

CNN Intern

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 66 posts

Posted 29 May 2009 - 03:09 PM

Hy! This is my first post as a user on CNNfan.org. I share your opinion about the lack of live news on week/end. I saw this on Jim Clancy's twitter page:
"It appears a lot of you watch on weekends and want to see more hard news updates. We probably listen to you more than you think! ;-)"

#14 Axl0706

Axl0706

CNN Copy Editor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 997 posts

Posted 29 May 2009 - 03:15 PM

Wow! That's cool! Obviously our constant complaining had an effect after all... :D Hoping to learn soon what Jim's announcement actually means...

Thx Dexter and welcome!

#15 Leeroy

Leeroy

CNN Anchor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,771 posts

Posted 04 June 2009 - 04:49 PM

The only problem with that is that it says "hard news updates". We've already got news updates. That's what people are complaining about: we don't want news updates, we want news bulletins. News bulletins on the hour. Not every second hour, not ever third hour, not every forth hour, EVERY hour.

Anything less is completely unacceptable.

#16 Jeffmister

Jeffmister

CNN Intern

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 88 posts

Posted 08 June 2009 - 12:17 AM

Another fine example today/tonight, the EU elections - while BBC World News has LIVE coverage of the results in a BBC News Special (which mind you was extended to fully cover all the results) with a simulcast of BBC News Channel's coverage (UK) & cut-ins from BBC World News for other interviews, etc.

I understand CNN Today is on with Kirstie (at the moment), but before it started at 7am HKT - CNNI was still in taped programming?

#17 zack10

zack10

CNN V.J.

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 339 posts

Posted 08 June 2009 - 12:49 AM

Another fine example today/tonight, the EU elections - while BBC World News has LIVE coverage of the results in a BBC News Special (which mind you was extended to fully cover all the results) with a simulcast of BBC News Channel's coverage (UK) & cut-ins from BBC World News for other interviews, etc.

I understand CNN Today is on with Kirstie (at the moment), but before it started at 7am HKT - CNNI was still in taped programming?

Well Jeff you are not kidding, CNNI was in tape programming. They never mention the EU having elections. At all....... :?: :?: :idea: :idea: :idea: The BBC coverage was amazing. They went all over Europe. Just the sheer logistical operation must have scare CNNI.
I didn't expect a lot because CNNI don't cover European/Brussels issues well. BBC WORLD usually does a good job with European matters. CNNI covers US matters good. But, BBC WORLD, ALJ try their best and cover a newsworthy story in the US. They do deployed resources to cover it. CNNI didn't mention it on air let alone try to have a correspondent in London at least to talk about the dismal Labour vote. That is embarrassing for a so called Pan European/international channel. With over 500 million people in Europe.

#18 Morpium

Morpium

CNNFan.org Hero

• Members
  • 5,260 posts

Posted 08 June 2009 - 04:51 AM

C'mon guys, let's not get carried away. If CNNI had presented some sort of coverage on the EU elections, we possibly wouldn't have seen the report on the masculinity of Japanese men on CNN Today... twice.

Seriously, I wasn't expecting coverage like that of BBC World News, but I wasn't expecting a complete blackout of the story either. I note that The Best of The Situation Room aired this morning in its normal slot. That hour before CNN Today HK would have been perfect to schedule a one hour wrap of election results that were already coming in.

The biggest issue I have is the way that CNNI completely ignored the story on Sunday. That's a major oversight and reflects badly on the editorial team. A major, major fail. Nobody thought to phone SOMEONE from the London bureau to file a report - even if they phoned it in from their kitchen?

I saw a 25 second voice over on CNN Today this morning - that was the first time I can recall hearing about the EU election on Sunday/Monday. I've been told that it has since been mentioned a couple of times in voice overs since CNN Today HK.

I tweeted the International Desk about the lack of coverage and I got this reply:

Just talking to our London Bureau about getting our reporter up early on this story.

Anything CNNI does on the EU elections from this point is only playing catch-up with BBC World News and Sky News. And that's a FAIL from me.

I'm so glad CNNI doesn't use "the world's news leader" as their positioning statement - they'd be sued for misleading the consumer.

Again, I wasn't expecting the in-depth coverage BBCWN provided, but I can't accept any argument that attempts to justify the lack of EU election coverage on the network this past weekend. Especially not when there were plenty of "fluff" or far more insignificant stories aired on the already insufficient news bulletins.

#19 Charles

Charles

CNN Anchor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,272 posts

Posted 08 June 2009 - 04:59 AM

...but hearing that metrosexuality has finally spread to Japan was a much more important story...

#20 Spitfire

Spitfire

CNN Correspondent

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,034 posts

Posted 08 June 2009 - 05:09 AM

To be truthful the euro election are not as important as they sound, the european parliament is mostly a talking shop and the candidates are usually those not deemed good enough to stand for national parliaments. It's all a bit Mickey Mouse to be truthful. That's why I'm not so fussed over the coverage or lack of it.
Quote of the week
Holmesy on Hala
"Do not adjust your set she really is that beautiful."
YWT 14th November 2006

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users