44 replies to this topic

#1 Charles

Charles

CNN Anchor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,270 posts

Posted 02 July 2009 - 09:16 AM

English is my first language, and I've been taking French classes for a few years. I've gotten to the point where I can read something in French and can understand it (or at least get a good idea), but I'm terrible when it comes to listening comprehension. The only way I think I could get good at that (and become fluent) would be to move to a Francophone part of the world, so I'm thinking about moving to Quebec.

I've also considered learning Arabic and/or Chinese, but I'd like to tackle one language at a time.

How about all of you? Is English your first language? What other languages do you speak? I think this would be an interesting thread since we have so many people from around the world on here.

#2 ttanilsoo

ttanilsoo

CNN Intern

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 209 posts

Posted 02 July 2009 - 12:20 PM

My first language is Estonian, but I am also fluent in English. In addition, I have some knowledge in German, enough to watch local TV stations in Germany.

#3 dezbee2008

dezbee2008

CNN Correspondent

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,302 posts

Posted 02 July 2009 - 01:33 PM

English is my first and primary language. I have family from Puerto Rico, and they speak Spanish, which I can understand, but can't speak it fluently, but I do have knowledge of the Spanish language.
http://www.twitter.com/dezbee2008

Michael Holmes on Frederik Pleitgen:
"Only Fred Pleitgen can go 'hey, how's it going' to a bunch of Iraqi guys with guns" :lol:
- BackStory, April 16, 2009

"Thank you, Eunice Yoon. I look forward to working with you in the future, I think."
- Andrew Stevens on WBT, June 15, 2009

#4 suus

suus

CNN Viewer

• Members
  • Pip
  • 45 posts

Posted 02 July 2009 - 09:09 PM

I am dutch, so obviously I'm fluent at dutch. English is okay, and I can speak a bit of German and French. of the three foreign languages i speak/read/write English the best, just because I am confronted with it on a regular basis. Charles, I'd like to hear from you why you like to learn another language?

Btw Chinese (mandarin) I'd like to learn too, but the thing is, they don't have the Roman alphabet. It would be so much harder to learn that.

#5 Junk Junk.

Junk Junk.

CNN Anchor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,212 posts

Posted 03 July 2009 - 02:40 AM

I'm fluent in Nepali, Newari (this is my ethnic/racial language) and English. Since most of the languages of South Asia all come from the same parent Sanskrit language, i can understand (not write) some of the others like Hindi, Urdu, Bengali,... I also took French in my school, but all i can remember is just the basic stuffs.
I'd like to learn Spanish though.

#6 Charles

Charles

CNN Anchor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,270 posts

Posted 03 July 2009 - 03:09 AM

I have a question for all of you who learned English as a second language...

My French teacher always tells our class that we should be thankful we learned English as a first language because it's the hardest language in the world to learn. Would you say this is true? I've heard that Basque and Mandarin are much harder.

#7 Houston

Houston

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 4,138 posts

Posted 03 July 2009 - 03:15 AM

Well, I'm working on learning French, because I'd like to read some books in their original language.
Living here I understand enough Spanish to muddle by with non-English speakers. I took Latin in school and that actually did turn out to be helpful. Who knew.

#8 alexander

alexander

CNN V.J.

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 261 posts

Posted 03 July 2009 - 09:00 AM

My French teacher always tells our class that we should be thankful we learned English as a first language because it's the hardest language in the world to learn. Would you say this is true? I've heard that Basque and Mandarin are much harder.

My opinion is NO WAY :lol: As a native greek speaker I've found it much harder to learn French or Bahasa Indonesia. I also think German is a lot harder.

#9 suus

suus

CNN Viewer

• Members
  • Pip
  • 45 posts

Posted 03 July 2009 - 09:43 AM

English hard?? Nah. German is more difficult, because of all the rules. Verbs changing all the time and you really don't remember why ;-)

#10 Junk Junk.

Junk Junk.

CNN Anchor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,212 posts

Posted 03 July 2009 - 02:15 PM

English is easy (although I must say I just got 3 or 4 As in my literature and language essays in whole 2 yrs of high school :lol: ) the grammar is a little confusing i guess. But I can imagine English must be easier that say Arabic or Mandarin.

#11 dezbee2008

dezbee2008

CNN Correspondent

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,302 posts

Posted 03 July 2009 - 02:22 PM

I had grammar and speech issues when I was in school, but nonetheless English isn't hard to learn if you know how to say things. A friend of mine several years ago told me that it was the hardest language to learn, but I disagree.

My sister just finished Spanish class last month, I took spanish class in middle school, and now my mom is learning Mandarin Chinese. (She even got the Chinese for Dummies book, no joke)
http://www.twitter.com/dezbee2008

Michael Holmes on Frederik Pleitgen:
"Only Fred Pleitgen can go 'hey, how's it going' to a bunch of Iraqi guys with guns" :lol:
- BackStory, April 16, 2009

"Thank you, Eunice Yoon. I look forward to working with you in the future, I think."
- Andrew Stevens on WBT, June 15, 2009

#12 AExAVF

AExAVF

CNN Copy Editor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 698 posts

Posted 05 July 2009 - 03:09 PM

My first language is Filipino, since I'm from the Philippines. However, I always make it a point to speak English, since I'm studying law which requires a great deal of fluency in English. So in a way, English has already become my first language.

I am also trying to learn some Nippongo/Japanese, since I'm an anime fan as well. Most of the time I learned Japanese from anime theme songs.
"As an anchor Kate Bolduan has no equal; as a correspondent she has no known biases."
- lifted from the words of Victor Caroli as he describes Predaking in the files of Teletraan II.

#13 Thot

Thot

CNN Contributor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,309 posts

Posted 05 July 2009 - 07:34 PM

Portuguese is my first language, and I speak English, French, Spanish,and can manage to understand Italian and a little of German if not spoken too fast :-P .
Posted Image

#14 ginnyfan

ginnyfan

• Moderators
  • 10,459 posts

Posted 19 July 2009 - 12:07 AM

My first language is Serbian .
I took private lessons in English since I was a kid plus watching a lot of tv (mostly Cartoon Network) had the biggest impact and helped the a lot in learning it. Of course I had English classes later in school but I didn't really learn a lot of new stuff there. There's not a lot of grammar in English and it definitely isn't the toughest language to learn.

Besides English, I understand Spanish very well even though I never had it in school. It's cause I watched a lot of telenovelas (soap operas from Latin America) as a kid. :oops: :oops: :lol: Now I can understand a lot but since I never practiced writing I'm not good at that but I learned a bit last few years on tennis forums.

I also had Latin in high school which is the base of Spanish , Italian and many other languages so it helps in learning them.
Last I had German in high school too and I really didn't learn a lot of it , I didn't like the language and my teacher was mean which help at all.
We'll back tomorrow , if they let us out of our cages. - Monita and Owen on CNN Today, 2008.

#15 Nexties

Nexties

CNN V.J.

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 321 posts

Posted 19 July 2009 - 01:38 AM

@ginnyfan:

??????? ?? ?? ????? ??????? ?? ??????. ???? ?? ?????!

Used to date girls from Serbia. It was a lot!

#16 Spitfire

Spitfire

CNN Correspondent

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,034 posts

Posted 20 July 2009 - 10:40 PM

I was gonna ask ginnyfan about how you have flawless english, I thought you were english until Twitter. You could easily get a top job as translator as you even know urban english that Bruno - Ayesha Durgahee stuff didn't go over your head.

Languages is not like riding a bike you do forget, I had a better command of french, a few years ago.
Quote of the week
Holmesy on Hala
"Do not adjust your set she really is that beautiful."
YWT 14th November 2006

#17 ginnyfan

ginnyfan

• Moderators
  • 10,459 posts

Posted 23 July 2009 - 12:06 PM

Thanks Spitfire, that's so nice to hear, made my day! :D
We'll back tomorrow , if they let us out of our cages. - Monita and Owen on CNN Today, 2008.

#18 Nexties

Nexties

CNN V.J.

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 321 posts

Posted 23 July 2009 - 06:50 PM

I was gonna ask ginnyfan about how you have flawless english, I thought you were english until Twitter. You could easily get a top job as translator as you even know urban english that Bruno - Ayesha Durgahee stuff didn't go over your head.

Languages is not like riding a bike you do forget, I had a better command of french, a few years ago.

ginnyfan replied, "Thanks Spitfire, that's so nice to hear, made my day!" Nexties thought, "Well you were correct, Spitfire... Forgetting to hear what was asked is what ginnyfan did do." and then Nexties continued to think, "However, languages are like riding a bike, and riding a bike is like languages. You learn them both when you are young and never forget."

#19 djthproductions

djthproductions

CNN Copy Editor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 619 posts

Posted 23 July 2009 - 07:38 PM

My first language is Dutch, my second is English and my third one is German.

I do also speak a tiny tiny little French and Spanish.

Doeg!
Bye Bye!
Tjusch!
Soulfull greetz,

Tahar

#20 suus

suus

CNN Viewer

• Members
  • Pip
  • 45 posts

Posted 23 July 2009 - 10:02 PM

I guess your 'third one' isn't German...

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users