44 replies to this topic

#21 peramirez

peramirez

CNN V.J.

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 352 posts

Posted 24 July 2009 - 01:14 AM

My first language is Spanish. Guarani is my second as it is mandatory for students in my country (and it is such a beautiful language!). I started my English studies as a kid, dropped out because of financial issues but returned in 2004 in an institute managed by the American Embassy.

I can understand some Brazilian Portuguese and Italian as they are very similar to Spanish, but will stumble across various problems when speaking or writing in any of them. Finally, I got some classes of basic Latin in college.
"This new management is not one that tolerates any questions. The changes are alienating the public who has been loyal to the network for so many years. They're looking for a new audience. But if you read the comments on the social network sites, the viewers are not pleased with what they see on the air."
Former CNÑer Alberto Padilla to MediaMoves.com

#22 djthproductions

djthproductions

CNN Copy Editor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 619 posts

Posted 24 July 2009 - 12:19 PM

Und es ist meiner dritte Sprache das meint das ich es nicht wie gut als die andere Sprache reden oder schreiben künnen.
Soulfull greetz,

Tahar

#23 Thot

Thot

CNN Contributor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,309 posts

Posted 24 July 2009 - 01:30 PM

My understanding of German is enough to get that someone is a little annoyed here. ;-)

I think we sometimes forget that one language can be spoken, as first language, in different points of the Goble, so that means that are some variations on the way its spoken or written. I see that in Portuguese. Even if we speak the same language, Portuguese from Portugal is different from the spoken and written Portuguese in Brazil. Sometimes simple differences that can create misunderstandings. For example "facto" (fact in English) in written in Portuguese from Brazil as "fato" that in Portuguese from Portugal means "suit" (clothing). :-P :lol:
Posted Image

#24 djthproductions

djthproductions

CNN Copy Editor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 619 posts

Posted 24 July 2009 - 07:39 PM

My understanding of German is enough to get that someone is a little annoyed here. ;-)

I think we sometimes forget that one language can be spoken, as first language, in different points of the Goble, so that means that are some variations on the way its spoken or written. I see that in Portuguese. Even if we speak the same language, Portuguese from Portugal is different from the spoken and written Portuguese in Brazil. Sometimes simple differences that can create misunderstandings. For example "facto" (fact in English) in written in Portuguese from Brazil as "fato" that in Portuguese from Portugal means "suit" (clothing). :-P :lol:

I do want that I could speak French because the language sounds beautiful! :D :lol:

I think the best language in witch you can express your feelings at best is always your native language because in every language the weight of a word can differ.

Suspenders do have a different meaning in British English or in US English. Could you remember the stand up comedian act of Richard quest.
Soulfull greetz,

Tahar

#25 suus

suus

CNN Viewer

• Members
  • Pip
  • 45 posts

Posted 24 July 2009 - 07:54 PM

"I think the best language in witch you can express your feelings at best is always your native language because in every language the weight of a word can differ."

Yes, I agree... Witch!

Sorry, just had to do that, because I'm evil and all. I do agree. In foreign languages, no matter how you learn to understand them; meaning get's lost.

#26 Axl0706

Axl0706

CNN Copy Editor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 997 posts

Posted 25 July 2009 - 02:28 PM

I find it extremely admirable that some of you guys speak several languages. That's awesome! My mother tongue is German. The only language that I speak in addition to that is English.

I also learned French and Latin at school. Three years of French and seven years of Latin lessons and I forgot most of it... As a matter of fact I still remember quite a few words in Latin, which can be helpful with foreign words. French however has gone completely lost and honestly I think that's a shame.

I agree with what Spitfire said: If you don't use a language, you'll loose it. The good thing is: As an English learner it's very easy to stay in touch even if you don't live in a country where English is spoken. We have Youtube, CNN, TV shows, movies, Twitter and even boards like this one where we use the language without actually learning it! :D

#27 Jon

Jon

CNN Contributor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,178 posts

Posted 25 July 2009 - 04:55 PM

I've tried German in high school, but...uh...let's not go there. :oops:

#28 djthproductions

djthproductions

CNN Copy Editor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 619 posts

Posted 25 July 2009 - 09:21 PM

"I think the best language in witch you can express your feelings at best is always your native language because in every language the weight of a word can differ."

Yes, I agree... Witch!

Sorry, just had to do that, because I'm evil and all. I do agree. In foreign languages, no matter how you learn to understand them; meaning get's lost.

Bad bad spell checkers, they even ruined my ability to write good Dutch which is my native language. They get you confused.

(Suus, or... maybe I watched to many fairy tales when I was young ;-) )

Btw get's = get is ;-)
Soulfull greetz,

Tahar

#29 Morpium

Morpium

CNNFan.org Hero

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,260 posts

Posted 10 August 2009 - 09:26 AM

I decided it was time to learn another language. I made a tweet about it and was just blown away the replies I got. I was leaning towards Italian (every time I see Paula Newton speaking Italian I get goosebumps) and the second choice was / is French.

I'm still undecided, but I may actually go French (I can try Italian later) because a few people I tweet with already speak French, so that'll come in handy.

#30 Charles

Charles

CNN Anchor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,270 posts

Posted 10 August 2009 - 09:45 AM

^^^

Both are great languages as I've already said. French is a great language because it's spoken on five continents and it's the language of diplomacy. I haven't had too much difficulty learning it. Italian is also a beautiful language with great culture behind it. If you do decide to learn one now, it'd be easy to learn the other later. It's really a toss up in terms of which one you choose first.

Thanks Spitfire, that's so nice to hear, made my day! :D

I too, didn't know you weren't a native English speaker, either, ginnyfan. I haven't heard you speak in real life, but you write in English very well (with good grammar) and you seem to understand everything on CNN. I couldn't tell if was your second language until you said so.

#31 Junk Junk.

Junk Junk.

CNN Anchor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,212 posts

Posted 27 September 2009 - 10:00 AM

I'm still undecided, but I may actually go French (I can try Italian later) because a few people I tweet with already speak French, so that'll come in handy.

I took French classes this summer to kill time, and also to revise my french skills from middle school. Try it Troy, it's fun. Bonjour! (hehe yes, i know a little more than this ;-)) And isn't French-Italian-Spanish-Portugese all connected so that one understands the basic stuff between all these languages?

#32 Michael Isha CNN

Michael Isha CNN

CNN Copy Editor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 716 posts

Posted 18 May 2012 - 07:44 AM

My first Language is English and 2nd is Spanish
i speak also Malay,Filipino ,Japanese,Mandarin Chinese ,Korean ,Cantonese and French

#33 magnel69

magnel69

CNN Copy Editor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 683 posts

Posted 18 May 2012 - 08:56 AM

I'm an English native. I've lived and worked in South America, Africa and North America, so i also speak Spanish(at College studying a Degree in Spanish) , French and Setwana(Language spoken in Botswana and South Africa.).

#34 Carolina Argentina

Carolina Argentina

CNN President

• Members
  • 5,018 posts

Posted 18 May 2012 - 09:11 AM

I speak enough Egyptian Arabic, Spanish & French to get along. It takes me a week or so to feel comfortable in Spanish & French -- I studied them in school so I have acceptable grammar, syntax, etc. and I can speak with educated people fairly well. On the other hand, my Egyptian Arabic (street Arabic) is awful in terms of grammar, syntax, etc., but people can understand me & visa versa. (I learned it from listening to the taxi drivers, cleaning ladies, etc.) But I only speak it with taxi drivers, store clerks, etc. Many of the educated Egyptians speak English so I don't speak Arabic with them.

I've only lived in Egypt & the US.

Edited by Carolina Argentina, 19 May 2012 - 12:41 AM.

#35 santa2012

santa2012

CNN Viewer

• Members
  • Pip
  • 17 posts

Posted 18 May 2012 - 04:39 PM

I'm a native Spanish speaker (Mexico) but I grew up in the United States so that's where I picked up my English. I took French for eight years in school so I speak and read that pretty well. My dream is to speak Arabic though.

#36 stellarboy

stellarboy

CNN V.J.

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 334 posts

Posted 11 June 2013 - 09:09 AM

I am a Filipino native, and I speak Tagalog and Cebuano fluently. English is my business language. I also speak Mandarin, Fukienese and Japanese as conversational languages.

Going Beyond Borders in Setting the News Agenda at The World's Newsroom.

#37 Carolina Argentina

Carolina Argentina

CNN President

• Members
  • 5,018 posts

Posted 11 June 2013 - 02:25 PM

I am a Filipino native, and I speak Tagalog and Cebuano fluently. English is my business language. I also speak Mandarin, Fukienese and Japanese as conversational languages.

Where/how did you learn all of them.  

#38 stellarboy

stellarboy

CNN V.J.

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 334 posts

Posted 12 June 2013 - 06:27 AM

Where/how did you learn all of them.  

Filipino (based from Tagalog) is the national language of the Philippines, while Cebuano is a regional language which is spoken where I live. English is another official language (due to our country's American influence), so it's being taught in schools here. I come from a Chinese-owned high school, where Mandarin and Fukienese are being taught, so I was able to learn them. I studied Japanese in college.

Going Beyond Borders in Setting the News Agenda at The World's Newsroom.

#39 Carolina Argentina

Carolina Argentina

CNN President

• Members
  • 5,018 posts

Posted 12 June 2013 - 04:26 PM

Wow! You must like languages if you studied Japanese in college.  Where if Fukienese from?  

When I was in HS, Americans  had to take a language in order to get into university, but I don't think the US universities require that any more,.  So, most HS kids don't learn a language.  Some would say (me, for example) that most of them don't learn English either,  

#40 Carolina Argentina

Carolina Argentina

CNN President

• Members
  • 5,018 posts

Posted 12 June 2013 - 04:27 PM

I find it extremely admirable that some of you guys speak several languages. That's awesome! My mother tongue is German. The only language that I speak in addition to that is English.

I also learned French and Latin at school. Three years of French and seven years of Latin lessons and I forgot most of it... As a matter of fact I still remember quite a few words in Latin, which can be helpful with foreign words. French however has gone completely lost and honestly I think that's a shame.

I agree with what Spitfire said: If you don't use a language, you'll loose it. The good thing is: As an English learner it's very easy to stay in touch even if you don't live in a country where English is spoken. We have Youtube, CNN, TV shows, movies, Twitter and even boards like this one where we use the language without actually learning it! biggrin.gif

Most likely your French will come back if you spend a week or two in a country where they speak French.  

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users