44 replies to this topic

#41 Axl0706

Axl0706

CNN Copy Editor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 997 posts

Posted 12 June 2013 - 07:42 PM

Most likely your French will come back if you spend a week or two in a country where they speak French.  

That would be cool but I'm not so sure about that. I was in NYC earlier this year for English classes and some of my fellow students were French - can't say that I understood much when they were talking to each other in French...

#42 stellarboy

stellarboy

CNN V.J.

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 334 posts

Posted 12 June 2013 - 10:15 PM

Fukienese or Min is a regional dialect of China, spoken in the Fujian province in the south of the country. Most of the Chinese who live here in the Phils. come from Fujian, so they speak this more than they do Mandarin.

BTW, CA, you should accustom yourself to different variants of English. You never know how would you talk or write to a native English speaker - the American way, the British way, the Aussie way, whatever. For instance, I watch and listen domestic and regional BBC News material (not only BBC World) as much as I could to learn all these different accents in the UK because my current work involves communicating with both US and UK clients. I already know how to understand Scots, Irish, Yorkshire, Geordie and Scouse accents. If you aren't properly trained, you'll find it very hard to understand what they're saying.
Going Beyond Borders in Setting the News Agenda at The World's Newsroom.

#43 Carolina Argentina

Carolina Argentina

CNN President

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,018 posts

Posted 13 October 2014 - 04:04 PM

We seem to have some new folks on the site since this last discussion, so I thought I'd restart it.  

#44 Gman

Gman

CNN Correspondent

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,576 posts

Posted 29 October 2014 - 01:43 PM

English is my mother tongue and I love it. Love the grammar but hated the literature in school. Never took to poetry or Shakespeare...

All Irish people are obliged to learn Irish in school from 4 years old until you leave at 17/18. Because they are forced to learn it, most hate it and don't make an effort. I took to it, learnt it, loved it but never speak it. The nearest I get to using it is watching the Irish language TV station when at home and even then, because of the different dialects, I have problems understanding all the accents.

Always had a thing for French. Took it in school but it was all rather basic so I moved to France, where I lived and worked for nine years. A beautiful language! Still use it every day because of work and if I read a book by a French author, I will always read the French version because otherwise it loses a certain "Je ne sais quoi"!

Other than that, I get by in Spanish. I can read it, conjugate it but my vocabulary lets me down when I try to speak!

There's my life in a nutshell!

#45 Carolina Argentina

Carolina Argentina

CNN President

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,018 posts

Posted 29 October 2014 - 07:52 PM

If I spent a week or two in a French speaking or Spanish speaking country I would be able to speak fairly well.  I live in an Arabic speaking country now and have so-so Egyptian Arabic skills.  I can get along on a basic level, but can't involve myself in a conversation with a few other women who are native speakers.  If I try to speak French or Spanish now I find myself dropping Arabic words into the conversation.  Which means, I guess, that I don't know any of them well enough.  

but I'm fluent in English! 

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users