34 replies to this topic

#1 Charles

Charles

CNN Anchor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,270 posts

Posted 06 July 2009 - 05:04 AM

I'm surprised there isn't a thread for her. I think she's been with CNN for a long time. Her bio says she's based in Miami, but in the last few months, she seems to be mostly in New York City and the northeast.

Posted Image

I also know someone who reminds me a lot like Susan. They even have the same name, too.

#2 Charles

Charles

CNN Anchor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,270 posts

Posted 10 August 2009 - 10:30 PM

Posted Image

#3 Nuggle

Nuggle

CNN Correspondent

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,375 posts

Posted 11 August 2009 - 07:24 AM

87 followers seems grossly under the level it should be for Susan on Twitter. If you're looking for someone nice and newsy to follow: http://twitter.com/susancandiotti

#4 Leeroy

Leeroy

CNN Anchor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,771 posts

Posted 11 August 2009 - 09:17 AM

I didn't realise there wasn't a thread for Susan either. I haven't seen much of her on CNNI, but we do see her reports. I'm glad to see that CNN still has some experienced correspondents on the domestic beats.

#5 Nuggle

Nuggle

CNN Correspondent

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,375 posts

Posted 13 January 2010 - 10:37 AM

At the time of this post, Susan is in Santo Domingo on her way to Port Au Prince. I think she will probably be the first CNN correspondent on scene. Take care Susan, and all CNN staff in the area.

#6 Leeroy

Leeroy

CNN Anchor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,771 posts

Posted 15 January 2010 - 08:23 AM

I've been watching some of her reports from Haiti. Wonderful to see Susan down there in the field amongst it all. I think I'm honest in assuming that Susan is of a certain age when most networks wouldn't even consider sending their reporters of the same age to such major stories.

#7 Arrapare

Arrapare

CNN Copy Editor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 998 posts

Posted 14 June 2010 - 01:37 PM

how old is she? is it common for older ladies to be on the news in america? it's not here. :-(
My forum friends on twitter:
yazmanian_devil morpium Leroy greekdude ginnyfan peramirez dezbee2008 goursote Spitfire
My CNN friends on twitter:
Jennifer delgado Kristie Lu Stout Jim clancy Rosemary Church Kyra Philips Mark McKay Errol Barnett Backstory
http://www.twitter.com/arrapare

#8 Charles

Charles

CNN Anchor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,270 posts

Posted 14 June 2010 - 03:43 PM

Well, according to this, she graduated from university in 1980, and if she graduated at age 22, that would make her around 52 today.

I don't think it's strange. There are plenty of women her age or older on US news. Katie Couric and Dianne Sawyer are older than Susan and both anchor 2 of the 3 major network news broadcasts.

Susan is one of the best reporters Domestic has.

#9 Morpium

Morpium

CNNFan.org Hero

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,260 posts

Posted 01 May 2011 - 10:25 AM

Saturday...

Posted Image

#10 Lazlo

Lazlo

CNN Contributor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,039 posts

Posted 04 May 2011 - 11:58 AM

I'm a little embarrassed that there are only 9 posts in this topic. I really think Susan is a great reporter and makes great contributions to CNN. I would like to post more in Susan's thread, but there's not a lot to post about, I guess.

#11 Morpium

Morpium

CNNFan.org Hero

• Members
  • 5,260 posts

Posted 23 September 2011 - 07:16 AM

The Brief, Thursday...

Posted Image

#12 excel99

excel99

CNN Anchor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,837 posts

Posted 25 September 2011 - 10:37 PM

Attached File  Susan Candiotti.JPG   27.7KB   1 downloads

#13 Morpium

Morpium

CNNFan.org Hero

• Members
  • 5,260 posts

Posted 31 October 2011 - 09:01 AM

Sunday...

Posted Image

#14 Lazlo

Lazlo

CNN Contributor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,039 posts

Posted 10 April 2012 - 01:42 AM

CNN Apologizes After Second Reporter Uses N-Word Unbleeped http://www.huffingto..._n_1411897.html

#15 magnel69

magnel69

CNN Copy Editor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 683 posts

Posted 10 April 2012 - 01:57 AM

CNN Apologizes After Second Reporter Uses N-Word Unbleeped http://www.huffingto..._n_1411897.html

I watched this live and was left wondering if she was out of her mind.

Edited by magnel69, 10 April 2012 - 02:07 AM.

#16 Houston

Houston

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 4,138 posts

Posted 10 April 2012 - 02:53 AM

Maybe people need to be stunned into understanding sickos are out there. Sanitizing everything into the "N-word" or "F-word" or whatever-word allows the public just to skate over problematic issues. Shocking and appalling language? For news yes, but on radio and cable all the time. I'm not big on double standards. People listen to that language all the time under the guise of entertainment. But report on it from the real world and the whomevers go ape ****.

A reporter or anchor should never have to apologize for reporting the truth, no matter how offensive. It's a good thing to confront hatred and bigotry honestly, directly and without pulling punches. Yes, Ms. Candiotti, I was taken aback. But you got my attention. And maybe even a little respect.

#17 magnel69

magnel69

CNN Copy Editor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 683 posts

Posted 10 April 2012 - 12:52 PM

Maybe people need to be stunned into understanding sickos are out there. Sanitizing everything into the "N-word" or "F-word" or whatever-word allows the public just to skate over problematic issues. Shocking and appalling language? For news yes, but on radio and cable all the time. I'm not big on double standards. People listen to that language all the time under the guise of entertainment. But report on it from the real world and the whomevers go ape ****.

A reporter or anchor should never have to apologize for reporting the truth, no matter how offensive. It's a good thing to confront hatred and bigotry honestly, directly and without pulling punches. Yes, Ms. Candiotti, I was taken aback. But you got my attention. And maybe even a little respect.

I understand your point, but CNN has certain journalistic standards for its viewers and should have been kept. She is experience and should know the do's and don'ts of this network. If she knew her comments were right, then why did she apologised?. Fredricka was very annoyed, her expression was there for everyone to see.

Similarly, if she had made a "Gay" comment of that nature, then, no doubt, she would have been "bowing at their feet" and in danger of losing her job. So why not?!

#18 newser

newser

CNN Correspondent

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,234 posts

Posted 10 April 2012 - 02:02 PM

Those weren't her comments, those were someone else's comments she was quoting. The quote was genuine and it came a day after the n-word was used without any bleeping on CNN's air for several times during Don Lemon's Newsroom and less than a week after the f-word was used without any bleeping on CNN's air for several times during AC360 (and that was not the first time).

Sure, the quote was shocking and it's something you don't expect to hear every day on TV. But that exact quote from Facebook was perhaps one of the key points that could serve as a proof this was a racially motivated crime. For the sake of truth, I'd do the same if I was Susan.

Racially or ethnically motivated crime is the worst kind of crime and while sanitizing profane expressions on TV may be ok to a point (for obvious reasons), sometimes a line has to be drawn and the raw truth and raw nature of racially motivated crime cannot be ignored or belittled. Susan drew the line and did the right thing. She didn't do anything wrong for 'apologizing' either. In fact, her words were "I deeply regret it" (for repeating someone else's words). I'd regret it too, but an apology would mean I'm taking responsibility for someone else's racial slur.

#19 magnel69

magnel69

CNN Copy Editor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 683 posts

Posted 10 April 2012 - 02:22 PM

Those weren't her comments, those were someone else's comments she was quoting. The quote was genuine and it came a day after the n-word was used without any bleeping on CNN's air for several times during Don Lemon's Newsroom and less than a week after the f-word was used without any bleeping on CNN's air for several times during AC360 (and that was not the first time).

Sure, the quote was shocking and it's something you don't expect to hear every day on TV. But that exact quote from Facebook was perhaps one of the key points that could serve as a proof this was a racially motivated crime. For the sake of truth, I'd do the same if I was Susan.

Racially or ethnically motivated crime is the worst kind of crime and while sanitizing profane expressions on TV may be ok to a point (for obvious reasons), sometimes a line has to be drawn and the raw truth and raw nature of racially motivated crime cannot be ignored or belittled. Susan drew the line and did the right thing. She didn't do anything wrong for 'apologizing' either. In fact, her words were "I deeply regret it" (for repeating someone else's words). I'd regret it too, but an apology would mean I'm taking responsibility for someone else's racial slur.

Well said. However, my points are, she should have adhere to CNN journalistic standards since we live in a racially sensitive world which she is a aware of, furthermore, racial tensions are high at the moment because of Trayvon Martin's death. She should have use her God-given IQ and be more professional which of course, would have ease her the pain of now having to apologise.

Many reporters use the "bleep" word in this case while reading, she could have said the "f" word and "N' word, we would have gotten it loud and clear.

What if it had been the reverse with ethnicity for her? How would it play for her? Likewise,"whats good for the goose is good for the gander".!

Edited by magnel69, 10 April 2012 - 03:12 PM.

#20 ginnyfan

ginnyfan

• Moderators
  • 10,459 posts

Posted 10 April 2012 - 04:06 PM

I don't think she needs to apologize for anything here, totally agree with Houston's post. Some people still live in a happy bubble world where America is not racist and everything is hunky dory, well this served as a wake up call for them.
We'll back tomorrow , if they let us out of our cages. - Monita and Owen on CNN Today, 2008.

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users