34 replies to this topic

#21 magnel69

magnel69

CNN Copy Editor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 683 posts

Posted 10 April 2012 - 04:45 PM

I don't think she needs to apologize for anything here, totally agree with Houston's post. Some people still live in a happy bubble world where America is not racist and everything is hunky dory, well this served as a wake up call for them.

I understand but it was like " throwing fuel on fire". She needed to use her common sense and professionalism in this case. That's all.

Edited by magnel69, 10 April 2012 - 04:46 PM.

#22 dezbee2008

dezbee2008

CNN Correspondent

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,302 posts

Posted 10 April 2012 - 06:38 PM

If I were Susan, I would actually try to bleep out the words myself, but that would undermine the report itself. I also think she shouldn't apologize for quoting another person's racial slurs (not to mention the f-bomb).
http://www.twitter.com/dezbee2008

Michael Holmes on Frederik Pleitgen:
"Only Fred Pleitgen can go 'hey, how's it going' to a bunch of Iraqi guys with guns" :lol:
- BackStory, April 16, 2009

"Thank you, Eunice Yoon. I look forward to working with you in the future, I think."
- Andrew Stevens on WBT, June 15, 2009

#23 magnel69

magnel69

CNN Copy Editor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 683 posts

Posted 10 April 2012 - 07:31 PM

If I were Susan, I would actually try to bleep out the words myself, but that would undermine the report itself. I also think she shouldn't apologize for quoting another person's racial slurs (not to mention the f-bomb).

Ok, but what about CNN Jounalism Ethics? Why was Fredricka apologising for the profanity on behalf of the network?

#24 newser

newser

CNN Correspondent

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,234 posts

Posted 10 April 2012 - 09:02 PM

I don't think this has anything to do with journalism ethics. Susan's report was accurate, truthful, objective, impartial and fair and these are all principles of ethics in journalism. We have no idea why Fredricka apologized, she never gave a reason for it. Maybe she was just shocked and scared that heads will roll, maybe a producer yelled into her ear, who knows. I think she should not have done it, cause Susan didn't just say those two words out of the blue and it was clear those two words were a quote from someone else. Not to mention two CNN's primetime shows used those very same two words (and a third one) unbleeped on several occasions while reporting and discussing the Trayvon Martin story and racial problems overall. That apology looks very bad now, cause it seems like Fredricka (unintentionally) apologized for Susan's truthful reporting.

And please don't get me wrong, I'm not agitating here for profanities to become a normal cable news feature, I'm just saying this wasn't Joe Biden saying "big f***ing deal", where the f-word carries no real substance to be relevant for a direct quote. This was a racially motivated murderer spewing two awfully offending words that symbolize his crime. He could have said two or more different, but equally offending words that aren't on the cable TV black list and if Susan quoted those, no one would have apologized. Just like no one on CNN didn't even think of apologizing for reporting about ESPN.com calling Jeremy Lin a "chink", which is also a racial/ethnic slur.

#25 modlib

modlib

CNN Contributor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,324 posts

Posted 10 April 2012 - 09:34 PM

I always liked Susan Candiotti and I think she is a fair, smart, and thoughtful reporter. I read about someone on CNN using the F-word and N-word when quoting someone else and I just about fell out of my chair when I learned it was Susan Candiotti who said it. My first impulse was to think that is was a really bad idea to say those words even when quoting someone else. It seems to be standard practice nowadays to avoid that language so it was rather jarring to actually hear it. In some ways, it was good that it came from a seasoned, experienced reporter like Susan instead of some grandstanding hack who just wants attention. It gave me pause and made me think about why we bother censoring certain words. I agree with dezbee, if it were me, I would sanitize the words because I wouldn't want to offend anyone. But after some thought, I kinda agree with Houston's point, maybe we are doing a diservice by sanitizing it. Don Lemon was vocal about this issue and he thought it was helpful to put the words out there and hear the hatred and bigotry instead of sugar coating it. Seems like a good discussion to have. I think Fredricka was just having a natural visceral reaction to hearing those words, and I don't blame her for that. It was difficult to hear.

#26 magnel69

magnel69

CNN Copy Editor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 683 posts

Posted 10 April 2012 - 10:25 PM

Ok. Judging from the comments made by other news network on this issue, and you even mention that maybe a producer yelled in Fredricka ears, it is a foregone conclusion that she should have used her experience and judgement to be a bit more sensitive given the nature of the situation

#27 newser

newser

CNN Correspondent

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,234 posts

Posted 10 April 2012 - 11:45 PM

It's definitely a very difficult and sensitive subject and I don't think there are right or wrong answers. Both sides have some valid arguments and I can certainly understand what the other side is trying to say. Earlier I speculated what might have triggered Fredricka's apology, but I think modlib described it perfectly - it was a natural visceral reaction to hearing those words. Just a week or two ago, Drew Griffin used the same expression while sitting in the studio alongside Brooke Baldwin and there were no apologies. While I understand and respect Fredricka's reaction, I also respect Susan's judgment in this case.

#28 Carolina Argentina

Carolina Argentina

CNN President

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,018 posts

Posted 11 April 2012 - 04:44 AM

Good discussion, especially the comment about the word "chink."

#29 excel99

excel99

CNN Anchor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,837 posts

Posted 08 September 2012 - 08:30 PM

Attached File  Susan Candiotti.jpg   28.34KB   4 downloads

#30 Solar System

Solar System

CNN Contributor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,375 posts

Posted 12 November 2012 - 05:01 PM

Susan has been doing some great Storm Sandy reporting, literally showing the viewers what the people are going through.

#31 excel99

excel99

CNN Anchor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,837 posts

Posted 09 February 2013 - 01:46 PM

CNN Saturday (Snow) Morning

Attached File  Susan Candiotti.jpg   12.46KB   3 downloads

#32 xgrinch

xgrinch

CNN Correspondent

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,418 posts

Posted 24 July 2014 - 01:37 PM

iMSl267.png

#33 xgrinch

xgrinch

CNN Correspondent

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,418 posts

Posted 18 August 2014 - 07:09 PM

5yhZYMm.png

#34 AJJ

AJJ

CNN Correspondent

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,925 posts

Posted 31 December 2014 - 01:34 AM

Susan Candiotti is leaving the network after more than 20 years. This isn't surprising to me, but it's still sad. The way she writes her goodbye message makes it sound like she was part of the staff cuts. Her final assignment will be the Aaron Hernandez murder trial.

http://www.mediabist...s-years_b249957

Edited by AJJ, 31 December 2014 - 01:34 AM.

NEW DAY, BLACK FRIDAY 2015

BERMAN: Have shoppers become hooked on their mobile devices to fill their needs?
PEREIRA: Guilty as charged!
BERMAN: Their shopping needs, I'm talking about. We'll break it down next.
PEREIRA: (gasps) What is wrong with you?!
BERMAN: I don't know!

#35 AJJ

AJJ

CNN Correspondent

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,925 posts

Posted 20 April 2017 - 03:46 AM

She's back tonight on CNN with the CNN Contributor label, covering the news of Aaron Hernandez.
NEW DAY, BLACK FRIDAY 2015

BERMAN: Have shoppers become hooked on their mobile devices to fill their needs?
PEREIRA: Guilty as charged!
BERMAN: Their shopping needs, I'm talking about. We'll break it down next.
PEREIRA: (gasps) What is wrong with you?!
BERMAN: I don't know!

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users