237 replies to this topic

#1 Charles

Charles

CNN Anchor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,270 posts

Posted 17 July 2009 - 05:18 AM

We have a thread for CNN Criticisms, and while we often have good things to say about CNN, we don't have an organized thread for it.

Here's a good example of what separates CNN from the other channels (domestically, at least). When two/three bombs go off in Jakarta, CNN has coverage all throughout the night, and even coverage in primetime. Where are Fox and MSNBC? In Rerunsville, which is not too far from Political Talking Head City.

#2 Jon

Jon

CNN Contributor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,178 posts

Posted 17 July 2009 - 05:23 AM

Have to agree. CNN really excels at international coverage compared to its competitors within the United States. Flipping over to Fox News and MSNBC, both are running useless political stories.

The staff at CNN deserve kudos for this coverage.

#3 Leeroy

Leeroy

CNN Anchor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,771 posts

Posted 17 July 2009 - 07:33 AM

And CNN is running exclusive video as well. I've only seen short bits of coverage this morning, but they've definitely been all over the story from what I've seen.

#4 ginnyfan

ginnyfan

• Moderators
  • 10,459 posts

Posted 17 July 2009 - 09:38 AM

BBC left the story and continued the regular coverage very early as usual, CNN is still rolling with it!
We'll back tomorrow , if they let us out of our cages. - Monita and Owen on CNN Today, 2008.

#5 Jon

Jon

CNN Contributor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,178 posts

Posted 19 July 2009 - 10:34 AM

Impressive. Minutes after an AP news bulletin was released, they had a reporter on the ground.

Posted Image

#6 ddddyyyy

ddddyyyy

CNN Viewer

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 31 July 2009 - 08:29 AM

Oh , my best friend,I miss you every much!This forum is very good, I like, I agree with that point of view above,I support you!

#7 excel99

excel99

CNN Anchor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,837 posts

Posted 13 September 2009 - 10:24 AM

The CNNi documentary on Wootton Basset was very good last night. No presenter, and only a little narration, let the locals there tell their story. Worked really well that IMO

#8 Gruffny

Gruffny

CNN Correspondent

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,619 posts

Posted 14 September 2009 - 02:20 PM

Yes, I thought it was very well done as well. I'm wondering if we know if it was made by CNN or a production company? Either way, congratulations to CNN for airing such a documentary. It was powerful.
Let's put the NEWS back into Cable NEWS Network.
less World Sport, more World Report.

#9 dezbee2008

dezbee2008

CNN Correspondent

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,302 posts

Posted 14 September 2009 - 06:33 PM

Yes, I liked it too. Very good documentary.
http://www.twitter.com/dezbee2008

Michael Holmes on Frederik Pleitgen:
"Only Fred Pleitgen can go 'hey, how's it going' to a bunch of Iraqi guys with guns" :lol:
- BackStory, April 16, 2009

"Thank you, Eunice Yoon. I look forward to working with you in the future, I think."
- Andrew Stevens on WBT, June 15, 2009

#10 excel99

excel99

CNN Anchor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,837 posts

Posted 15 September 2009 - 12:13 PM

I'm wondering if we know if it was made by CNN or a production company?

Can't remebering seeing a credit for a production company, so I guess CNN did it themselves

#11 Arrapare

Arrapare

CNN Copy Editor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 998 posts

Posted 30 September 2009 - 11:29 AM

good work on the earthquakes and tsunami news all day.
My forum friends on twitter:
yazmanian_devil morpium Leroy greekdude ginnyfan peramirez dezbee2008 goursote Spitfire
My CNN friends on twitter:
Jennifer delgado Kristie Lu Stout Jim clancy Rosemary Church Kyra Philips Mark McKay Errol Barnett Backstory
http://www.twitter.com/arrapare

#12 Riceo

Riceo

CNN Copy Editor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 813 posts

Posted 26 October 2009 - 08:30 PM

When I was in London a couple of years ago I saw a promo saying "quoted everywhere" and that really is true. I was doing a Google search earlier and always amazed at just how many news articles features quotes from interviews aired on CNN. I even see "told CNN" in a few stories on the BBC news website. You'd think with their big newsgathering resources they wouldn't need to be lifting quotes from CNN.

#13 Gruffny

Gruffny

CNN Correspondent

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,619 posts

Posted 28 October 2009 - 07:45 AM

I am happy (and I know this sounds strange because the news is quite tragic) to be posting in the CNN Praise thread.

CNNI has been very good with the news from Afghanistan and now more recently, the major bombing in Pakistan. CNNI cut into Anderson Cooper 360 with Pauline in Hong Kong to talk live to Chris Lawrence and show LIVE pictures of the gun battle. Then they cut into WBT with Andrew switching from business coverage to report the breaking news of a major explosion in Pakistan.

More news as it happens please CNN. You've got the resources, use them! And you're great when you do use them!
Let's put the NEWS back into Cable NEWS Network.
less World Sport, more World Report.

#14 Nuggle

Nuggle

CNN Correspondent

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,375 posts

Posted 01 November 2009 - 09:38 AM

Good decision by CNN to stay with Abdullah Abdullah's news conference out of Kabul. Good to see live with breaking news on the weekends. BBC WN went to the scheduled Dateline London. :no:

#15 Jeffmister

Jeffmister

CNN Intern

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 88 posts

Posted 01 November 2009 - 10:40 AM

Good decision by CNN to stay with Abdullah Abdullah's news conference out of Kabul. Good to see live with breaking news on the weekends. BBC WN went to the scheduled Dateline London. :no:

When the news conference finished, Christiane Amanpour continued breaking news coverage for another 5-10 minutes to conduct an live interview with Abdullah before going back to LKL, so it was good that CNN did stayed with that news conference.

#16 Junk Junk.

Junk Junk.

CNN Anchor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,212 posts

Posted 01 November 2009 - 02:09 PM

But I just hate the fact that CNN tries to carry every live news conference in its entirety. This happened today, and in also that Balloon boy press meet. They almost always over-broadcast these live events which i think is extraneous, for example, today they carried out everything what Abdulla said in Afghan language, and they did not have a translator.

#17 Leeroy

Leeroy

CNN Anchor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,771 posts

Posted 02 November 2009 - 07:41 AM

There's no doubt there are certain news conferences which do not require to be broadcast in their entirety, but CNN usually gets it right. I'd rather a presser be aired for too long, than not at all (yes, looking at you BBC WN).

#18 Charles

Charles

CNN Anchor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,270 posts

Posted 02 November 2009 - 07:45 AM

I thought CNNI was right in covering that presser from Abdullah yesterday, and it was an even better decision to simulcast it on Domestic (partly because my internet was out for most of the weekend, thus no CNNI.) I think Domestic goes overboard in airing Obama pressers, especially at times when Fox and MSNBC aren't airing them. However, I agree with Leeroy that CNN usually uses the right discretion in covering pressers.

#19 ginnyfan

ginnyfan

• Moderators
  • 10,459 posts

Posted 05 November 2009 - 12:35 PM

I like the Berlin Wall coverage, Jim is doing an awesome job and there are interesting reports every day by Fredrick Pleitgen. I haven't seen Becky yet, does she only appear on CTW?
We'll back tomorrow , if they let us out of our cages. - Monita and Owen on CNN Today, 2008.

#20 Leeroy

Leeroy

CNN Anchor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,771 posts

Posted 09 November 2009 - 11:33 PM

Great coverage from CNNI today and tonight on the celebrations in Germany. The Brief and Jim was great, Fred (as always) great, Connect The World with Becky wonderful too.

Reply to this topic

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users