237 replies to this topic

#221 Honn

Honn

CNN V.J.

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 335 posts

Posted 06 October 2014 - 07:04 PM

Sometimes I fanticise about how CNN would have covered 9/11 had it happened with the network in its current state with all the current anchors and programming elements. One thing I know for certain is that things would not have been handled as calmly as Aaron Brown covered it, though when I compare them then to how they cover smaller things now, it does seem as if they were much less resourced then than they are now (especially due to their lack of their own cameras and few on the ground journalists).

Anyone want to fanticise along? Here's mine:
Chris Cuomo breaks into Carrol Costello's show with the first reports of what was happening, from the New Day studio.
The likes of Miguel Marquez and John Berman are on the ground as things happen.
Wolf Blitzer takes over from Washington within an hour (what do you expect?) with Chris later provding on the ground coverage of what was.
Barbara Starr is now providing breaking news from outside the Pentagon of events unfolding there.
Alison Kosik, who is at the NYSE for CNNi's World Business Today is providing breaking news from there with Cristine Romans providing analysis of what this means
On The Lead with Jake Tapper, Jake is anchoring from outside the White House with Wolf and Anderson Cooper taking things over from him ubtil midnight.
All CNN's pundits are in studio providing analysis and Christiane Amanpour is providing analysis from London
They take things until midnight from where Don Lemon, on location, and Alison Camerota do a special CNN Tonight with Early Start starting at 3am that morning
#cnnjunkie
Anything to add or remove?

Thats interesting. I just don't think they would have specially branded shows or hours like CNN Tonight or Early Start. I also don't think we would see so many different faces, especially not the less important regular presenters. It would be Wolf, Anderson and possibly Cuomo or Tapper all the time. You have to remember the shock everyone was in, for both tv and media it looked as if the apocalypse is happening and nothing was certain and certainly not the tv schedule or presenter. It took weeks or even months for any kind of regular programing to return.

I guess CNNI would have Maggie on air at the time and after the initial reports they would join domestic and we wouldn't see any CNNI faces for days.

Sometimes I fanticise about how CNN would have covered 9/11 had it happened with the network in its current state with all the current anchors and programming elements. One thing I know for certain is that things would not have been handled as calmly as Aaron Brown covered it, though when I compare them then to how they cover smaller things now, it does seem as if they were much less resourced then than they are now (especially due to their lack of their own cameras and few on the ground journalists).

Anyone want to fanticise along? Here's mine:
Chris Cuomo breaks into Carrol Costello's show with the first reports of what was happening, from the New Day studio.
The likes of Miguel Marquez and John Berman are on the ground as things happen.
Wolf Blitzer takes over from Washington within an hour (what do you expect?) with Chris later provding on the ground coverage of what was.
Barbara Starr is now providing breaking news from outside the Pentagon of events unfolding there.
Alison Kosik, who is at the NYSE for CNNi's World Business Today is providing breaking news from there with Cristine Romans providing analysis of what this means
On The Lead with Jake Tapper, Jake is anchoring from outside the White House with Wolf and Anderson Cooper taking things over from him ubtil midnight.
All CNN's pundits are in studio providing analysis and Christiane Amanpour is providing analysis from London
They take things until midnight from where Don Lemon, on location, and Alison Camerota do a special CNN Tonight with Early Start starting at 3am that morning
#cnnjunkie
Anything to add or remove?

Thats interesting. I just don't think they would have specially branded shows or hours like CNN Tonight or Early Start. I also don't think we would see so many different faces, especially not the less important regular presenters. It would be Wolf, Anderson and possibly Cuomo or Tapper all the time. You have to remember the shock everyone was in, for both tv and media it looked as if the apocalypse is happening and nothing was certain and certainly not the tv schedule or presenter. It took weeks or even months for any kind of regular programing to return.

I guess CNNI would have Maggie on air at the time and after the initial reports they would join domestic and we wouldn't see any CNNI faces for days.

I remember Ralista anchoring then as well and she did a great job.

Edited by Honn, 06 October 2014 - 07:04 PM.

#222 Carolina Argentina

Carolina Argentina

CNN President

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,018 posts

Posted 13 October 2014 - 03:25 PM

Wouldn't CNNi ME reporters be on the air discussing those who were behind the report and/or discussing the victims who were from all over the world?  

#223 StayConnected

StayConnected

CNN Intern

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 247 posts

Posted 09 November 2014 - 07:04 PM

Great coverage of the 'Fall of the Wall'. I just watched an hour long commercial-free broadcast of the 'balloon' wall coming down in Berlin.

No matter where news happens, CNN is there.

#224 ginnyfan

ginnyfan

• Moderators
  • 10,459 posts

Posted 23 January 2015 - 08:10 PM

CNN's immediate coverage of the death of SA king was great and showed what they can do when CNNI people are allowed to use ALL of their resources. Michael and Amara were heading it from the studio, the immediately got Nic Robertson in London, then John Defterious in Davos and also got Becky up at 4 am in Abu Dhabi. Plus a dozen of guests from the region with insight into SA and their society and royal family.

We'll back tomorrow , if they let us out of our cages. - Monita and Owen on CNN Today, 2008.

#225 Carolina Argentina

Carolina Argentina

CNN President

• Members
  • 5,018 posts

Posted 23 January 2015 - 09:59 PM

CNN's immediate coverage of the death of SA king was great and showed what they can do when CNNI people are allowed to use ALL of their resources. Michael and Amara were heading it from the studio, the immediately got Nic RAgreed obertson in London, then John Defterious in Davos and also got Becky up at 4 am in Abu Dhabi. Plus a dozen of guests from the region with insight into SA and their society and royal family.

Agreed that it was great.  It certainly was a topic which the Domestic people have little to no experience.  

#226 Houston

Houston

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 4,138 posts

Posted 24 January 2015 - 05:58 AM

CNN's immediate coverage of the death of SA king was great and showed what they can do when CNNI people are allowed to use ALL of their resources. Michael and Amara were heading it from the studio, the immediately got Nic Robertson in London, then John Defterious in Davos and also got Becky up at 4 am in Abu Dhabi. Plus a dozen of guests from the region with insight into SA and their society and royal family.

And US kept on with their stellar lineup - Cooooper and the canned Morgan Spurlock...

#227 Carolina Argentina

Carolina Argentina

CNN President

• Members
  • 5,018 posts

Posted 24 January 2015 - 11:03 AM

Houston, you should move somewhere where CNNi is.  Maybe Saudi Arabia?  

#228 tipster

tipster

CNN Intern

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 101 posts

Posted 24 January 2015 - 12:58 PM

CNNI was simulcast from 1a ET with Natalie and John

Edited by tipster, 24 January 2015 - 12:59 PM.

#229 Houston

Houston

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 4,138 posts

Posted 24 January 2015 - 07:34 PM

CNNI was simulcast from 1a ET with Natalie and John

Yeah, its regular time. I suppose US mentioned it, but obviously didn't think it was important enough to bump Cooper and a rerun of that Spurlock stuff.
I went back to watching the Aussie Open when I saw it wasn't going to be CNNI, which should have been the obvious move. As Ginnyfan said, they nailed it.

#230 Carolina Argentina

Carolina Argentina

CNN President

• Members
  • 5,018 posts

Posted 27 January 2015 - 05:37 AM

CNNi made the right choice and broke away from the Blizzard to show Obama's speech in India.  

#231 Carolina Argentina

Carolina Argentina

CNN President

• Members
  • 5,018 posts

Posted 27 January 2015 - 04:21 PM

Another good move by CNN.  The Auschwitz Liberation 70 ceremony.   Presumably it's being shown on domestic as well as on International.  I hope so.  

The elderly survivors placing the candles has nearly brought.  Oh,. one just escaped. 

Edited by Carolina Argentina, 27 January 2015 - 04:46 PM.

#232 Jordy

Jordy

CNN Contributor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,466 posts

Posted 30 July 2015 - 10:33 PM

Nearly every promotion on CNNi is fantastic. CNNi is the best at trailers. Bold, emotional and dynamic.

#233 TheNEWS

TheNEWS

CNN Intern

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 86 posts

Posted 18 August 2015 - 03:49 PM

I want to praise the CNNi business and CNNMoney team for making the best business news coverage. The next step should be the spin-off of the CNNi channel called CNNMoney 

"There'll be no frolicking on QUEST MEANS BUSINESS" - Richard Quest to Paul La Monica on Tuesday August 11th.

This is CNN - Where the news always comes first.

#234 Norwegian viewer

Norwegian viewer

CNN Copy Editor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 843 posts

Posted 01 September 2015 - 10:19 PM

Today, after 30 minutes with Wolf covering police looking for someone who had been shooting an officer in the U.S., the simulcast ended, and CNNI took over with breaking news from Lebanon. We also have a big refugee crizis in the middle of Europe. So believe it or not: There were some Breaking news other places in the world, as important as these police men trying to find someone with a gun. A good decision. Should have been taken more often.

#235 Norwegian viewer

Norwegian viewer

CNN Copy Editor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 843 posts

Posted 16 October 2015 - 10:11 PM

I like what they did at the Democratic Pary presidential debate, with CNNI having its own covegate before and after. Much better and relevant for international viewers than the Republican debate coverage.

#236 imjohndoeandthisiscnn

imjohndoeandthisiscnn

CNN V.J.

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 391 posts

Posted 04 November 2015 - 08:31 PM

Brooke Baldwin is doing a very good job while anchoring tonight's major breaking news story. I'm happy that we're not seeing too much of Richard Quest (who I love by the way). Good to know that this hasn't being skewed towards an American perspective [yet].

"The news coverage continues. Around the world, around the clock, this is CNN." - Richard Quest, 20 May 2016

#237 Jordy

Jordy

CNN Contributor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,466 posts

Posted 17 November 2015 - 04:53 PM

When CNNi is providing their own coverage of the Paris attacks, as usual they cover it extremely well, as always with big news stories.

#238 Carolina Argentina

Carolina Argentina

CNN President

• Members
  • 5,018 posts

Posted 24 March 2017 - 08:49 PM

Thought CNNi did a good job balancing the two major issues of the day  -- London bombing and US Healthcare.  Trump & GOP losing akin to UK's vote for Brexit and Cameron resigning.  

Reply to this topic

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users