237 replies to this topic

#21 Nelly

Nelly

CNN Copy Editor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 513 posts

Posted 02 December 2009 - 01:55 AM

I've been genuinely impressed with CNN's coverage of Obama's Afghanistan troop plan so far tonight, particularly the panel of Amanpour, Ware, Robertson etc. I love the analysis and facts the correspondents are able to serve up. CNN is lucky in the way they really do have some of the best field correspondents. Plenty of experience there.
"The one function TV news performs very well is that when there is no news we give it to you with the same emphasis as if there were." (David Brinkley)

#22 excel99

excel99

CNN Anchor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,837 posts

Posted 21 December 2009 - 09:16 AM

Nice to see extra weather reports during some of the headline updates on Sunday on CNNI

#23 Nuggle

Nuggle

CNN Correspondent

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,375 posts

Posted 22 December 2009 - 08:49 AM

Nice to see extra weather reports during some of the headline updates on Sunday on CNNI

The length of headlines at the top and bottom of Amanpour was almost the same length (maybe a little longer) as AJE's. I think 2 minutes is a good length for headlines. Much better than the 30 seconds we get which is basically no more useful than the flipper. But as you say, it was nice to see those extra couple of weather hits as Europe froze.

#24 Leeroy

Leeroy

CNN Anchor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,771 posts

Posted 23 December 2009 - 07:17 AM

Yes, I agree, that was a good effort for a couple of headline updates. Obviously, that doesn't make up for all their current sins on weekends, but credit where credit is due. If anything, it only shows you how a minor adjustment can be a big improvement.

#25 Jon

Jon

CNN Contributor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,178 posts

Posted 26 December 2009 - 12:48 AM

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Great coverage with experts analyzing the event.

#26 Jon

Jon

CNN Contributor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,178 posts

Posted 26 December 2009 - 01:01 AM

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Well, I can't speak for international, but domestic is sure awake during the holidays.

#27 Jon

Jon

CNN Contributor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,178 posts

Posted 26 December 2009 - 01:26 AM

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

#28 Jon

Jon

CNN Contributor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,178 posts

Posted 26 December 2009 - 02:10 AM

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

#29 AExAVF

AExAVF

CNN Copy Editor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 698 posts

Posted 26 December 2009 - 03:37 AM

Kudos to CNN Domestic for their coverage of the attempted terror attack, and especially for having news on weekends.
"As an anchor Kate Bolduan has no equal; as a correspondent she has no known biases."
- lifted from the words of Victor Caroli as he describes Predaking in the files of Teletraan II.

#30 Jeffmister

Jeffmister

CNN Intern

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 88 posts

Posted 26 December 2009 - 06:40 AM

Kudos to CNN Domestic for their coverage of the attempted terror attack, and especially for having news on weekends.

Agree, great job by Ali Veshi & everyone involved for keep people up-to-date on the latest developments - considering it was Christmas Night & to be away from their families shows CNNI that they need to lift their game.

#31 Charles

Charles

CNN Anchor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,270 posts

Posted 26 December 2009 - 09:58 AM

Agree, great job by Ali Veshi & everyone involved for keep people up-to-date on the latest developments - considering it was Christmas Night

For what it's worth, Ali Velshi, who was the primary anchor of the coverage, is a Muslim. :D But I do get your point.

#32 ginnyfan

ginnyfan

• Moderators
  • 10,459 posts

Posted 26 December 2009 - 12:53 PM

I didn't know that. :surprised:

I join in the praise for the coverage, finally CNN uses it's capacity in the right way. Ali mentioned Quest following the story too but I didn't see him join them from London. :no:
We'll back tomorrow , if they let us out of our cages. - Monita and Owen on CNN Today, 2008.

#33 excel99

excel99

CNN Anchor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,837 posts

Posted 26 December 2009 - 03:02 PM

Ali mentioned Quest following the story too but I didn't see him join them from London. :no:

Richard's been sent to Amsterdam

Overall it seems CNN, at least CNNUS, has done a very good job

#34 Houston

Houston

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 4,138 posts

Posted 26 December 2009 - 08:42 PM

I only turned on today, kinda of surprised it's still breaking news.
Anyway, saw Martin Savidge reporting from Detroit. Now if he's returned that would be a ground for major praise.

#35 Charles

Charles

CNN Anchor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,270 posts

Posted 27 December 2009 - 12:41 AM

TVNewser says that he's just a freelance reporter for breaking news on weekends:

>More, from a tipster: Savidge is working for CNN on a freelance basis, primarily as a weekend correspondent for breaking news. He's been on-call for several weeks, but there had been no need to bring him in until now. He is still doing freelance work for Worldfocus.

http://www.mediabist... ... 147134.asp

#36 ginnyfan

ginnyfan

• Moderators
  • 10,459 posts

Posted 10 February 2010 - 07:25 PM

I made a little comparison yesterday. On their morning bulletins at 0900cet BBC WN aired the report on MJ's doctor at 8 minutes past the hour while CNN aired it at 23 minutes past the hour. :Yes:
Also on Kristie's hour they had a report on it at around 50 minutes past the hour.
We'll back tomorrow , if they let us out of our cages. - Monita and Owen on CNN Today, 2008.

#37 Gruffny

Gruffny

CNN Correspondent

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,619 posts

Posted 15 February 2010 - 10:05 AM

The Belgium train collision happened over 2 hours ago, but CNNI is just starting to work on covering the story a little more now. There were at least 3 breaking news cut ins during World View, which is a change from how the network usually just waits until the top of the hour to report breaking news. So I'm glad they didn't that today.
Let's put the NEWS back into Cable NEWS Network.
less World Sport, more World Report.

#38 AExAVF

AExAVF

CNN Copy Editor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 698 posts

Posted 20 February 2010 - 02:06 AM

Having an international correspondent host a CNN/US program, instead of bringing in another Domestic-based anchor/correspondent to substitute for the regular host is a very refreshing move. Sara Sidner filling in on American Morning for Kiran is not something you see everyday.

CNN/US could really use more appearances by CNNI anchors/correspondents and more international news on a regular basis and not just on breaking news stories. As an example, take American Morning or CNN Newsroom. They could do satellite telecasts with Hong Kong, Abu Dhabi, and London. And the recent increase of international news on The Situation Room is a move in the right direction, though it's still too early to tell.
"As an anchor Kate Bolduan has no equal; as a correspondent she has no known biases."
- lifted from the words of Victor Caroli as he describes Predaking in the files of Teletraan II.

#39 excel99

excel99

CNN Anchor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,837 posts

Posted 25 February 2010 - 11:18 AM

CNNI have been very good in the past couple of weeks with their Falkland Islands coverage - especially QMB/CTW. They picked up on it before it became a 'mainstream' story and have continued to follow it since

#40 SpacemanSpiff

SpacemanSpiff

CNN Viewer

• Members
  • Pip
  • 34 posts

Posted 28 February 2010 - 05:26 PM

For all the criticism of CNN US, all the trivial and sensational stories they cover, and all the good people they have let go, they still have a lot of talent with the right instincts--to cover news of national and global significance:

Wolf Blitzer
Candy Crowly
Kiran Chetry
Ali Velshi
Christine Romans
John King
Brianna Keilar

and especially, David Gergen and Peter Bergen when they are invited on.

(Wish Aaron Brown and Miles O'Brien were still with CNN.)

Reply to this topic

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users