237 replies to this topic

#41 AExAVF

AExAVF

CNN Copy Editor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 698 posts

Posted 01 March 2010 - 03:15 AM

For all the criticism of CNN US, all the trivial and sensational stories they cover, and all the good people they have let go, they still have a lot of talent with the right instincts--to cover news of national and global significance:

Wolf Blitzer
Candy Crowly
Kiran Chetry
Ali Velshi
Christine Romans
John King
Brianna Keilar

and especially, David Gergen and Peter Bergen when they are invited on.

(Wish Aaron Brown and Miles O'Brien were still with CNN.)

I like this; it reminded me of a topic I replied to in another forum. CNN/US has talent they should really keep, and if I may add to that list:

Kate Bolduan
John Roberts
Jessica Yellin

They should've also kept Jamie McIntyre, he's definitely missed.
"As an anchor Kate Bolduan has no equal; as a correspondent she has no known biases."
- lifted from the words of Victor Caroli as he describes Predaking in the files of Teletraan II.

#42 excel99

excel99

CNN Anchor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,837 posts

Posted 20 March 2010 - 07:55 PM

CNNI have been very good today covering a busy news Saturday including extra bulletins at 7am and 3pmET. The weekends do come into criticism normally but whenever there is a big story (or stories) can't say CNNI don't step things up

#43 Leeroy

Leeroy

CNN Anchor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,771 posts

Posted 22 March 2010 - 10:06 AM

Definitely! I only wish they understood that every weekend is important to viewers. By adding the extra bulletins for big news stories, they are catering to the casual news viewer who only tunes in during the big news stories, but that's exactly the opposite of what they're doing during the week (creating individual hours with appointment viewing).

#44 Nelly

Nelly

CNN Copy Editor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 513 posts

Posted 05 April 2010 - 12:50 AM

Easter Sunday night and CNN is live with coverage of the 7.2 earthquake in Northern Mexico. Don and Bonnie doing a great job, altho Don does have a tendency to interrupt people. He did it a couple of times during Rafael Romo's report.
"The one function TV news performs very well is that when there is no news we give it to you with the same emphasis as if there were." (David Brinkley)

#45 Axl0706

Axl0706

CNN Copy Editor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 997 posts

Posted 16 April 2010 - 08:10 AM

Time for praise! :D

I watched the CTW special (replacing Backstory) last night focussing on the debate between the top candidates of the Bristish election. Very intersting 30 minutes! They were having three party elders in the studio analysing the debate. Becky was very lively as usual. I hope they will do this kind of program again next week.

Furthermore, CNN's coverage of the volcano erruption and its consequences has been terrific so far. They've been on top of that story from the beginning and I guess they themselves are affected by the grounding of the flights. Many correspondents are in Poland and probably can't return to Britain to cover the volcano story.

#46 excel99

excel99

CNN Anchor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,837 posts

Posted 16 April 2010 - 08:22 AM

I hope they will do this kind of program again next week.

Considering it is foreign affairs next week then I really do hope so.

#47 SpacemanSpiff

SpacemanSpiff

CNN Viewer

• Members
  • Pip
  • 34 posts

Posted 20 May 2010 - 01:03 AM

Seeing today that Campbell Brown is leaving, plus reading previous posts and stories about CNN's ratings difficulties, I can't help but think the network needs some help.

Because I believe that truly significant events are occurring daily, I watch CNN over the competition. Despite my own political views, I want the news delivered:

1. When it happens
2. On the scene
3. In depth
4. And with minimal political slant or time-consuming partisan bickering.

Only CNN can do this.

Unfortunately, CNN's difficulties suggest that the public doesn't view news as important or earthshaking. Or that they DO want a political slant.

I'm tempted to recommend a CNN ad campaign making the point that truly momentous events ARE occurring. But if people don't really believe this . . . .

#48 Junk Junk.

Junk Junk.

CNN Anchor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,212 posts

Posted 11 June 2010 - 06:50 PM

I gotta say I haven't been this impressed with CNNI for such long. Yesterday's Prism with its Under-age Marriage story was so in-depth and for that kudos to the team. This was my first Thursday show of Prism, so guys do they always do this every week? Ironic thing is at the beginning of the show from ABu Dhabi they had technical glitches, so the whole special ad to be done by Jon from Atlanta.

#49 Lazlo

Lazlo

CNN Contributor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,039 posts

Posted 26 June 2010 - 05:37 AM

Kudos to CNNI for their 30 minute special on the China flooding yesterday in place of the last 30 minutes of World Report HK evening. Anjali hosted with live crosses to John Vause and Mari Ramos.

#50 Nuggle

Nuggle

CNN Correspondent

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,375 posts

Posted 27 June 2010 - 03:20 PM

I thought it was a good 30 minutes as well. It's not often CNNI dedicates 30 minutes to a very newsworthy story like this out of Asia.

#51 AExAVF

AExAVF

CNN Copy Editor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 698 posts

Posted 28 June 2010 - 12:16 AM

CNN/US deserves praise for giving more airtime to Kate Bolduan as a weekend anchor, though it'd be better if she gets a permanent anchor spot.
"As an anchor Kate Bolduan has no equal; as a correspondent she has no known biases."
- lifted from the words of Victor Caroli as he describes Predaking in the files of Teletraan II.

#52 Leeroy

Leeroy

CNN Anchor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,771 posts

Posted 30 June 2010 - 02:10 PM

Good job by CNNI in the past week or so. A 30 minute programme dedicated to the China floods, and now a 30 minute show on the oil spill. Good to see extended coverage on 2 stories this past week.

#53 Leeroy

Leeroy

CNN Anchor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,771 posts

Posted 28 July 2010 - 05:51 AM

CNNI was on the ball in reporting that horrible plane crash in Pakistan. I saw a tweet from Reuters, and within 2 minutes Zain reported the breaking news on CNNI. They were getting their pictures from GEO TV. A few minutes later Reza Sayah was up live on the satellite doing a report and q & a with Zain. Good work this morning CNNI. Let's hope you're on the ball like this in future.

#54 newser

newser

CNN Correspondent

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,234 posts

Posted 28 July 2010 - 03:12 PM

Yeah, they did a really cool job, unlike the day earlier with the Lufthansa crash in Saudi Arabia, when they were quoting Twitter posts in the first minutes of their coverage. Kudos for today's breaking news.

#55 Leeroy

Leeroy

CNN Anchor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,771 posts

Posted 30 July 2010 - 05:49 AM

Yeah, they did a really cool job, unlike the day earlier with the Lufthansa crash in Saudi Arabia, when they were quoting Twitter posts in the first minutes of their coverage. Kudos for today's breaking news.

I hate when they quote twitter posts during breaking news coverage. They seem to pull tweets out of nowhere.

#56 Nuggle

Nuggle

CNN Correspondent

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,375 posts

Posted 23 August 2010 - 05:50 AM

There was some good coverage of the Manilla bus hostage situation this morning with Pauline chatting to the vice Mayor, and later Maria Ressa. They also broadcasted live pictures from the local affiliate.

#57 ginnyfan

ginnyfan

• Moderators
  • 10,459 posts

Posted 23 August 2010 - 01:05 PM

Great coverage from CNN, sending Anna payed off, they had exclusive live shots and reporter there, not sure about other networks. BBC & Sky didn't run live shots I hear.
Kristie was also great.
We'll back tomorrow , if they let us out of our cages. - Monita and Owen on CNN Today, 2008.

#58 Leeroy

Leeroy

CNN Anchor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,771 posts

Posted 23 August 2010 - 01:38 PM

Is CNNI starting to "go beyond borders" and bring us timely news coverage. Dan Rivers sent to Australia, Anna sent to Manila to cover the hostage drama, live coverage during parts of last night and early morning hours of the news that those miners in Chile were alive. Not to mention Emily and Leone sent to Pakistan to cover the floords. Heck, World Report with Zain even ran a fresh report by Rosemary (the subject escapes me at present). It may just have been a busy 24 hour news cycle, but it seems CNNI has really has been acting on a commitment to "go beyond borders".

#59 Thok

Thok

CNN V.J.

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 379 posts

Posted 23 August 2010 - 01:54 PM

They forgot the Greek hostage situation.

#60 ttanilsoo

ttanilsoo

CNN Intern

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 209 posts

Posted 23 August 2010 - 03:47 PM

Great coverage from CNN, sending Anna payed off, they had exclusive live shots and reporter there, not sure about other networks. BBC & Sky didn't run live shots I hear.
Kristie was also great.

I saw at least BBC showing feed with 10 second delay because there were killing threats.

Edited by ttanilsoo, 23 August 2010 - 03:47 PM.

Reply to this topic

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users