12 replies to this topic

#1 Charles

Charles

CNN Anchor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,270 posts

Posted 05 August 2009 - 07:59 AM

Remember this channel? I remember it being rather good-- better than CNBC. It's a shame it's not around anymore. It was meeting success at the time of closure, but CNN didn't want to put up the effort of making it a serious competitor to the other financial channels.

Some videos I shamelessly pulled off YouTube.

Dobbs not with an opinion on Mexico like today, but rather, the business news:

There are a few others on there as well.

#2 Arrapare

Arrapare

CNN Copy Editor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 998 posts

Posted 06 September 2009 - 12:51 PM

Guys u will have 2 watch the video from this channel with a guy I can't remember its name, but he says f word when the anchor says his name wrong or something. it's hella funny and nearly scary cuz I thought the man was gonna punch him.

Edited: hej i Found the video:

My forum friends on twitter:
yazmanian_devil morpium Leroy greekdude ginnyfan peramirez dezbee2008 goursote Spitfire
My CNN friends on twitter:
Jennifer delgado Kristie Lu Stout Jim clancy Rosemary Church Kyra Philips Mark McKay Errol Barnett Backstory
http://www.twitter.com/arrapare

#3 Nelly

Nelly

CNN Copy Editor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 513 posts

Posted 13 September 2009 - 12:54 PM

^^ I've probably seen the video a hundred times now, but it's still funny to this day. Thanks for posting, Arrapare.
"The one function TV news performs very well is that when there is no news we give it to you with the same emphasis as if there were." (David Brinkley)

#4 Lazlo

Lazlo

CNN Contributor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,039 posts

Posted 17 September 2009 - 10:12 AM

My first taste of CNNI was thru weekends on CNNfn. Good memories. One of the reasons this channel went under was because they couldn't secure carriage on any new cable systems. I'm not convinced Time Warner actually tried too hard tho.

#5 Arrapare

Arrapare

CNN Copy Editor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 998 posts

Posted 18 September 2009 - 12:09 PM

no Lazlo i don't think this station was on cnni cuz I remember watching lots of cnni shows on weekends 2. it was nearly the same ppl as the weekday shows.
yazmanian_devil morpium Leroy greekdude ginnyfan peramirez dezbee2008 goursote Spitfire
Jennifer delgado Kristie Lu Stout Jim clancy Rosemary Church Kyra Philips Mark McKay Errol Barnett Backstory

#6 Nuggle

Nuggle

CNN Correspondent

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,375 posts

Posted 18 September 2009 - 12:59 PM

no Lazlo i don't think this station was on cnni cuz I remember watching lots of cnni shows on weekends 2. it was nearly the same ppl as the weekday shows.

I think Lazlo meant that CNNI was broadcast on CNNfn on weekends in America.

Taking a look at the Wikipedia article on CNNfn, it sounds like they really had the most up to date equipment and were quite innovative.

#7 Charles

Charles

CNN Anchor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,270 posts

Posted 19 September 2009 - 01:28 AM

^^^

It was a good channel. Probably better than CNBC.

Yes, they simulcasted CNNI on weekends, but CNNI also simulcasted a little bit of CNNfn in the Asian morning hours on weekdays, too.

My first taste of CNNI was thru weekends on CNNfn. Good memories. One of the reasons this channel went under was because they couldn't secure carriage on any new cable systems. I'm not convinced Time Warner actually tried too hard tho.

I read an article about the disbandment of CNNfn, and the execs at CNN said that while CNNfn was a success and was increasing marketshare, they just didn't want to devote the time into seeking distribution since that's a very long and strenuous process. Just look at Fox--they're trying to get their business channel running but they're already starting to throw in the towel after just two years.

#8 Riceo

Riceo

CNN Copy Editor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 813 posts

Posted 22 September 2009 - 11:21 AM

Were most of the CNNfn staff out of jobs when the channel folded? I know that Alan Chernoff (sp) and Ali Velshi are 2 main faces I remember who made it from CNNfn to CNN fulltime when they closed the financial network.

#9 Arrapare

Arrapare

CNN Copy Editor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 998 posts

Posted 02 October 2009 - 12:47 PM

I think Lazlo meant that CNNI was broadcast on CNNfn on weekends in America.

Taking a look at the Wikipedia article on CNNfn, it sounds like they really had the most up to date equipment and were quite innovative.

oops :oops:

yes that is a good article. I will jkeep looking for some vids on you tube! I wish we could of seen this channel in Austria!!!

#10 Nuggle

Nuggle

CNN Correspondent

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,375 posts

Posted 12 October 2009 - 09:23 AM

This is an interview with an author, but it's one of the earliest looking CNNfn clips I can find on YouTube.

#11 Leeroy

Leeroy

CNN Anchor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,771 posts

Posted 13 November 2009 - 10:49 AM

It's not much, but it is a bit of a behind the scenes look from a guy who once appeared on CNNfn from a San Francisco studio:

And a CNNfn promo:

#12 Riceo

Riceo

CNN Copy Editor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 813 posts

Posted 10 January 2010 - 09:03 AM

Some old skool Ali Velshi from CNNfn. The quality isn't that good.

#13 Nelly

Nelly

CNN Copy Editor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 513 posts

Posted 14 January 2010 - 03:08 AM

I was just taking a look at the schedule example on the CNNfn Wikipedia webpage and it's interesting to see World Business This Morning was broadcast live from London 3 times during the overnights.

It also says the network was available in Australia? Was it available in any other countries?
"The one function TV news performs very well is that when there is no news we give it to you with the same emphasis as if there were." (David Brinkley)

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users