151 replies to this topic

#1 Morpium

Morpium

CNNFan.org Hero

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,260 posts

Posted 20 March 2007 - 09:42 AM

CNN anchor, host of "CNN Newsroom", based in Atlanta.

#2 Junk Junk.

Junk Junk.

CNN Anchor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,212 posts

Posted 13 June 2007 - 01:34 PM

I saw him reporting from India and if anybody hasnt noticed Fredricka Whitfield has been anchoring from South Africa since 2/3 weeks

#3 Guest_Hugo_*

Guest_Hugo_*
  • Guests

Posted 13 June 2007 - 08:32 PM

She is there because CNN doesn't have reporters in Africa since the departure of Jeff Koinange. But I don't see her as his replacement.

I saw Don also in India but I think it was just a special report.

#4 Houston

Houston

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 4,165 posts

Posted 13 June 2007 - 09:46 PM

His substitutes on NewsRoom keep saying he's on special assignment, whatever that means.

#5 Nexties

Nexties

CNN V.J.

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 321 posts

Posted 24 August 2007 - 12:41 AM

We are pleased to credit all usage to CNNís Don Lemon.

Subject: Sen. Barack Obama on No Child Left Behind: "No Child Left
Behind, the money was left behind for No Child Left Behind"
Date: Thu, August 23, 2007 4:00 pm
To:

In a one-on-one interview at J.V. Martin Middle School in Dillon, SC CNNís Don Lemon and Sen. Barack Obama discussed No Child Left Behind, the Senatorís Education plan and Nouri al-Maliki as Prime Minister of Iraq .

Please credit all usage to CNNís Don Lemon
Framegrabs available upon request

THIS IS A RUSH FDCH TRANSCRIPT. THIS COPY MAY NOT BE IN ITS FINAL FORM AND MAY BE UPDATED.

WOLF BLITZER, CNN ANCHOR: A quick game of pickup and a roundtable discussion on strengthening U.S. schools. Education was front and center for Democratic presidential candidate Barack Obama's visit to Dillon, South Carolina, earlier today. He spoke one-on-one with CNN's Don Lemon, who got the ball rolling by asking the senator from Illinois why teachers should earn more if they perform better.

(BEGIN VIDEOTAPE)

DON LEMON, CNN ANCHOR: When I talk to the people here, the teachers, just before you came, same thing you handled here. They said, what is he really going to do for us? Because we hear it all the time. Some of them talked about No Child Left Behind. Some of them talked about merit pay. Why shouldn't teachers be paid more if they perform better?

SEN. BARACK OBAMA (D), ILLINOIS: Well, I will, first of all, when it comes to No Child Left Behind, the money was left behind for No Child Left Behind. And I'm not going to vote for reauthorization until we fundamentally fix it, putting more resources into the schools to help them achieve high standards and changing the assessments so that we take into account the fact that kids are going to be starting at different places. And we can't just apply standardized tests over and over and over again as a tool to improving school performance.

But to answer your earlier question about why am I different? Look, I've worked as a community organizer in low-income schools. I've worked at the state level in terms of trying to fix school funding. And I've also worked at the federal level.

And I think one of the things I've come to recognize is, you can't fix these schools with money alone. Parents have to parent. Communities have to support an attitude of excellence when it comes to education. But money does make a difference. And so if we can combine more money with serious reform, including potentially new ways of training and rewarding teachers -- because we're going to have to recruit a million new teachers over the next decade as the baby boom generation retires -- then I think we can make some significant progress.

LEMON: OK, so let's say you lived here. Would you allow Sasha and Malia to go to this school if you lived here?

OBAMA: Well, if I lived here, I would be fighting to improve this school. But I would not want Sasha and Malia to be in a classroom that has no windows. And I wouldn't want them to be in a gymnasium that has no air conditioning. I don't think any parent would.

And the parents who live here don't either. The problem they've got is that the property tax base is so low here that the most they can raise under state law is $3 million, and it would take $16 million to rebuild this school.

And that's where it's going to be necessary for the federal government, under an Obama administration, to come up with a capital program to rebuild schools all across the country. And states are going to have to step up, because right now too many states, I think, are neglecting rural areas, like this one, because they don't have as much political clout.

LEMON: I realize I'm pushing the envelope. This is my last question.
The NIE report out today. Iraq, Nouri al-Maliki. The surge supposedly is working in some areas, not working in other areas. What do you think of Nouri al-Maliki? Should he go? Do you agree with that? And why pull the troops out if it appears to be working?

OBAMA: I think this is a distraction, this whole notion of, is Maliki the right guy? We can replace Maliki with four or five other guys. If the underlying political dynamic is not changing, then we're not going to see progress in Iraq.

We know that the -- our troops are performing well under the surge and that there's been a temporary reduction in violence. What we also know is that none of the Iraqi factions have taken seriously the need to come to political accommodation. And we can't create a stable Iraq until that happens, which is why I believe that we need to, more than ever, initiate the kind of responsible, orderly withdrawal that will trigger a change in behavior on the part of the factions.

And this is a fundamental disagreement that I have with George Bush. This disagreement is not going to go away. And, you know, as president of the United States, I am going to set us in a new direction.

END

Attached Files

#6 David

David

CNN Copy Editor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 883 posts

Posted 24 August 2007 - 01:19 AM

Rofl at Don today

Come on!! Come onnnnn!!! Barack come on!!!

Geez :P Talk about pushy!

#7 Nexties

Nexties

CNN V.J.

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 321 posts

Posted 03 February 2008 - 06:51 AM

CNN Anchor Don Lemon has a rare one-on-one exclusive interview with the Dallas Cowboys star: Terrell Owens

Advanced CNN Transcript is here

CNNfans are pleased to credit all usage to CNN Newsroom
and a special thanks to Christal Jones / CNN

#8 Nexties

Nexties

CNN V.J.

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 321 posts

Posted 06 April 2008 - 09:34 PM

CNN Anchor Don Lemon ... Forty years ago, Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. was assassinated.

Advanced CNN Transcript is here

CNNfans are pleased to credit all usage to Don Lemon / CNN
and a special thanks to Christal Jones / CNN

#9 magik77

magik77

CNN Viewer

• Members
  • Pip
  • 10 posts

Posted 04 January 2009 - 07:16 AM

I was watching coverage of Israel's invasion of Gaza and Lemon asked very tough questions with solid follow ups on one of the Israeli diplomats they had on. I've never been a fan of Lemon, but he did very well tonight.

#10 Charles

Charles

CNN Anchor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,273 posts

Posted 04 January 2009 - 07:22 AM

^^^

I agree. I never have had a strong opinion on him either way, but he impressed me tonight.

#11 Houston

Houston

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 4,165 posts

Posted 04 January 2009 - 07:40 AM

I've never been much on him as an anchor, but I thought it was wrong of CNN to move him to weekends and put that wannabe Sanchez on weekdays instead. Well, thank goodness it was Don tonight and not the worst anchor anywhere.

He also did a great job covering the Atlanta tornado.
Attached File  DL 010309.jpg   42.7KB   611 downloads

#12 Shinta

Shinta

CNN V.J.

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 488 posts

Posted 31 January 2009 - 06:29 AM

I thought it may have been just me that noticed an increase in airtime for Don, but it seems I wasn't alone:

Change has indeed come.

It's been a remarkable sight as America has beheld that charismatic fortysomething black man with the 100-watt smile -- you know, the one who made his name in rough-and-tumble Chicago before rising to national prominence during the Bush administration. It's gotten to the point where you can barely turn on the news without seeing his beaming visage.

No, not him.

We're talking about rising CNN star Don Lemon, who's been damned-near ubiquitous of late, especially during the net's Inauguration-related coverage, which included graphics directing viewers to Lemon's Facebook page (his authorized page, as opposed to the "I Want to Marry Don Lemon" and "Don Lemon Is the Shit" fan groups). He can also be found at LinkedIn, MySpace, Twitter and as a contributor to the cabler's "Black in America" blog.

"We think the world of Don," says Bart Feder, senior VP of current programming for CNN/U.S. "There's no question that he has a following, and he has a lot of perspective to bring to the table."

You can read the full story at Variety

#13 Riceo

Riceo

CNN Copy Editor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 813 posts

Posted 15 February 2009 - 11:50 PM

I've never been much on him as an anchor, but I thought it was wrong of CNN to move him to weekends and put that wannabe Sanchez on weekdays instead. Well, thank goodness it was Don tonight and not the worst anchor anywhere.

I have to agree as well. I was always a Don "fan" tho. At least weekends became that bit more viewable again after Don was placed there.

#14 Shinta

Shinta

CNN V.J.

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 488 posts

Posted 07 July 2009 - 02:16 AM

I was a Don fan, but he's just another one in the line (behind Tony Harris and Rick Sanchez) trying to be something other than insignificant.

Yes, that's right, if you don't like the Michael Jackson coverage or if you're critical of it, you're elitist. :shock:

The greats like Bernard, Bobbie, even Aaron Brown, must cringe when they see what CNN has become these days with these so called anchors. Kids, all of them. And with pretty thin skin when it comes to their "idols" as well it seems.

I didn't actually see this when it aired so I wish the clip was longer. Sounds like Howie gave Don a bit of a smackdown.

#15 Houston

Houston

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 4,165 posts

Posted 07 July 2009 - 03:16 AM

Wow, maybe being an elitist isn't such a bad thing after all.

And I think the caption says it all: Media In Neverland.

#16 Morpium

Morpium

CNNFan.org Hero

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,260 posts

Posted 07 July 2009 - 03:35 AM

Unfortunate choice of words from Don and I hope he truly doesn't feel that way. If he does, I guess I'm an elitist.

#17 Charles

Charles

CNN Anchor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,273 posts

Posted 07 July 2009 - 03:37 AM

I like Don Lemon and think he's a good anchor, but I disagree strongly with his belief that the Jacko coverage isn't overdoing it. I guess I am an elitist in his eyes, too, since I've been watching mostly AJE recently and they haven't mention Jacko for maybe three days (or longer).

#18 Charles

Charles

CNN Anchor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,273 posts

Posted 13 July 2009 - 04:07 AM

This was a hot item on TV Newser. I don't think he implied it was unprecedented, but some people thought that's what he implied...

#19 Jon

Jon

CNN Contributor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,178 posts

Posted 13 July 2009 - 04:43 AM

This was a hot item on TV Newser.

I try not to read TV Newer's comments section. Some of their members are extremely childish and rude towards presenters and reporters. Even if a network does something right, they find some detail to moan about. Add to the fact that almost all of their debates relate around politics.

#20 .DC

.DC

CNN Intern

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 96 posts

Posted 15 July 2009 - 01:17 AM

I don't like him. He seems arrogant and biased to me. And, just to compare: put Don Lemon next to T.J. Holmes... without a doubt I'd take T.J. Holmes (to me, a real anchor and not a "star").

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users