68 replies to this topic

#41 Carolina Argentina

Carolina Argentina

CNN President

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,018 posts

Posted 18 July 2014 - 03:15 PM

I disagree with you, GF about the relationship between CNN & whoever you think tells CNN what to think & say & how it affected Diana.   i knwo you're a smart person.   And I think that you know what you said isn't correct.  

The facts are that CNN is supposed to be neutral and objective. Reacting angrily and calling someone scum is neither neutral nor objective.  So something was needed.  Moving her to Moscow brings her to a place where her feelings haven't taken over her journalistic opinions.  And Ukraine is a big story that she's covered before, so she's perfectly suited to it.  It's not like demoting her to the crime beat in Holland.  

Ivan Watson, David McKenzie and Ben Wedeman (all experienced and excellent journalists) have all been detained,  arrested, hassled, etc. while on air yet they didn't resort to offensive words.  Ms. Magney couldn't even hold her words on her tweets.  

Can you go around calling people Scum in public while representing your work  When I was a lawyer, something would have happened to me had I called the opposition Scum in court.  Or for that matter, when I was a waitress.  

Perhaps you're from a country that follows the government's dictates, but CNN doesn't.  Many times CNN is critical of Obama, the US government & Israel and presents the Palestinian side.   I know you have the right to say what you want here, but I wish you'd be more objective in your comments.  

#42 xgrinch

xgrinch

CNN Correspondent

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,418 posts

Posted 18 July 2014 - 07:46 PM

xOkVP5q.png

#43 Houston

Houston

Administrator

• Administrators
  • 4,138 posts

Posted 18 July 2014 - 10:22 PM

Her Twitter clearly states: "Views expressed here are my own".

If CNN doesn't like it, they should remove all reporters/anchors Twitter accounts, not the reporter.

I would have called the "Scum" a lot worse.

#44 Carolina Argentina

Carolina Argentina

CNN President

• Members
  • 5,018 posts

Posted 18 July 2014 - 10:50 PM

I did.  I called them maggots and Ms. Magney retweeted it.  (Oops! We're veering off to political comments.  Perhaps we should stop here.  

#45 Axl0706

Axl0706

CNN Copy Editor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 997 posts

Posted 19 July 2014 - 05:17 AM

I don't see why she was accused of taking sides in the conflict. She was critical of Isrealis cheering when they saw air strikes going down and were threatening to destroy her car if she said anything they didn't like. I'm glad that she reported that incident because it provided context. The behavior of those people was disgusting - I'm sure Diana and all smart viewers didn't expapolate from what happened there to all Isrealis. That only leaves the question if she should have used the word "scum". Maybe she shouldn't have. Yanking her from the story for that is kind of absurd though. Sometimes CNN is way too affraid of being considered partisan just for reporting how it is.

#46 xgrinch

xgrinch

CNN Correspondent

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,418 posts

Posted 19 July 2014 - 05:42 AM

Don't express your opinion about the story (or anything relevant) while you are actively reporting on it. Or at least use neutral words. "Scum" is really not the word a journo should use in their professional lingo on their official twitter account (it has "cnn" part in the handle, so "Views expressed here are my own" don't mean much). Because it can easily be taken out of context by some and spun into something nasty.

While it is up to her to decide if/what she wants to say/tweet something, it is up to CNN management to assess the damage it might bring to their brand and the reputation as a whole.

This could have turned into another Octavia Nasr situation.

Right now, the network has done a wise move - to relocate her to another major story and to sweep the whole story under the rug.

#47 xgrinch

xgrinch

CNN Correspondent

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,418 posts

Posted 26 July 2014 - 02:16 PM

qkD9jWN.jpg

RRrZpyK.jpg

#48 xgrinch

xgrinch

CNN Correspondent

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,418 posts

Posted 28 July 2014 - 07:03 AM

iH8okxG.png

iH8okxG.png

#49 xgrinch

xgrinch

CNN Correspondent

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,418 posts

Posted 16 August 2014 - 06:05 AM

6PrsNw5.jpg

BCrCAq5.png

#50 xgrinch

xgrinch

CNN Correspondent

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,418 posts

Posted 25 August 2014 - 06:25 AM

AqmnjIq.jpg

BnAAnGk.jpg

#51 xgrinch

xgrinch

CNN Correspondent

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,418 posts

Posted 28 August 2014 - 11:42 AM

TBH2UFm.jpg

fg1t4mZ.jpg

mOcHpHL.jpg

uZqHnhC.png

bwct5uR.png

#52 JosephHolloway1998

JosephHolloway1998

CNN Viewer

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 07 October 2014 - 08:32 PM

Where's Diana? has she left CNN? because I haven't seen her reporting in a couple of days!

#53 Thot

Thot

CNN Contributor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,309 posts

Posted 07 October 2014 - 10:44 PM

Where's Diana? has she left CNN? because I haven't seen her reporting in a couple of days!

She is in Ukraine. Go to CNN.com and search for her name. Her latest reports were added there.

http://edition.cnn.c...imaryType=mixed

Posted Image

#54 xgrinch

xgrinch

CNN Correspondent

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,418 posts

Posted 08 October 2014 - 11:16 AM

Ynk6mS4.png

#55 JosephHolloway1998

JosephHolloway1998

CNN Viewer

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 09 October 2014 - 05:14 AM

Ynk6mS4.png

So she is reporting in Johannesburg.

Edited by JosephHolloway1998, 09 October 2014 - 05:15 AM.

#56 Thot

Thot

CNN Contributor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,309 posts

Posted 09 October 2014 - 12:52 PM

I had the sensation I had seen a report from Diana coming from South Africa, but since it was during my lunch routine, I couldn’t affirm that with certainty. Therefore, I searched at CNN.com, got more confused with results, but since her Ukraine report was made just couple days before, I thought that was her at moment location. Sorry for that. Good news is that she is busy and at still at CNN. ;-)

Edited by Thot, 09 October 2014 - 12:57 PM.

Posted Image

#57 Carolina Argentina

Carolina Argentina

CNN President

• Members
  • 5,018 posts

Posted 13 October 2014 - 03:11 PM

Probably she was filling in until Robyn Curnow showed up.  

#58 xgrinch

xgrinch

CNN Correspondent

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,418 posts

Posted 20 October 2014 - 09:50 AM

yw9dBLv.png

dVjH2LQ.png

znoYtfw.png

#59 xgrinch

xgrinch