#21 Charles

Charles

CNN Anchor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,273 posts

Posted 20 March 2009 - 10:29 PM

^^^

I think they wheel it in and out. Sometimes it's there, and sometimes it isn't. However, I haven't seen the interview platform in a while, and I noticed that Finn presented IC this week from that control room/glass area that could be seen from the old set.

I agree with byron that CNN Today is just too dark-looking for so early in the morning. The blue CNN loop is still distracting even after almost a year for me, and it makes the set look way too dark.

#22 Charles

Charles

CNN Anchor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,273 posts

Posted 20 March 2009 - 10:38 PM

I beg to differ, Morpium.

This is your brain:

Posted Image

...and this is your brain on drugs:

Posted Image

#23 ginnyfan

ginnyfan

• Moderators
  • 10,474 posts

Posted 20 March 2009 - 10:53 PM

I think the problem with that blue background is that there are times when it becomes very. very dark, almost black. It looks nice when it get to that shiny part, it should be like that all the time.
We'll back tomorrow , if they let us out of our cages. - Monita and Owen on CNN Today, 2008.

#24 Morpium

Morpium

CNNFan.org Hero

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,260 posts

Posted 20 March 2009 - 10:54 PM

I am really mixed on the whole issue of these sets. I don't want to see a return to the white studios - they were too bright and they looked like something from a children's program with coloured strips everywhere. I understand the colours represented the news, sport, business etc, but I don't think it was obvious enough to the normal viewer. And if you have to start thinking about any aspect of the set, you're distracting from the news.

I grew to love the globe loop. However, if we still had the globe loop about today, I'd be bored. Which brings me to the next point about the CNN logo loop. It's boring! It's there constantly (with the exception of Quest Means Business and International Desk and World Sport. I'd love to see a different loop for each program.

I agree on the whole sets being too dark for CNN Today. It's the middle of the afternoon for me when CNN Today London airs and it just doesn't feel right. I can only imagine how it must be waking up to something so dark and depressing.

I think major, major improvements could be made to London and Hong Kong with just minor adjustments. A different loop or background for each program would be a big step forward. And adding back in some light elements to the set. Not all white, but not all of this blue either.

#25 Morpium

Morpium

CNNFan.org Hero

• Members
  • 5,260 posts

Posted 20 March 2009 - 11:11 PM

I beg to differ, Morpium.

This is your brain:

Posted Image

...and this is your brain on drugs:

Posted Image

Sorry Charles, don't really get it - but I think this post I made before reading your post is sort of related?!?

#26 Charles

Charles

CNN Anchor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,273 posts

Posted 20 March 2009 - 11:16 PM

^^^

You referenced dislike for the white sets in the post before mine, and I was noticing the juxtaposition of the two set styles from Spitty's caps. We'll continue this in the CNNI Studios thread.

#27 Charles

Charles

CNN Anchor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,273 posts

Posted 20 March 2009 - 11:24 PM

I loved CNNI's on air presence from 2006-2008. Everything was so intuitive and non-obtrusive. You weren't distracted from the news by the set or graphics. The entire image let the news and the pictures speak for themselves. The sets proved to be neutral environments for presenting information and they often used the video displays for pictures and video instead of incessantly playing a blue glorification of the almighty CNN logo. I found myself able to digest the information more easily with the graphics, which displayed much more pertinent information at a time, and the color-coded flipper was so useful. I completely stopped reading it the day they turned it all red.

The entire image was so well-thought out, as evidenced here: http://emea.promax.t...may_news_1.html. I understand that in the last few months, they've been trying to transition in a new on air presence for themselves, and while I've tried to remain optimistic, I am unimpressed by the new graphics, the new set in Atlanta, and the odd schedule with mostly single-anchor programs.

It's hard for me to justify watching CNN anymore when channels like the BBC and AJE have better on-air imaging and produce better news.

#28 Morpium

Morpium

CNNFan.org Hero

• Members
  • 5,260 posts

Posted 21 March 2009 - 12:28 AM

If you're going to talk about graphics, that's an entirely different issue, and after giving enough time for the new graphics to burn in on my brain, one I would agree with you on.

As for the sets, I stand by my comments above. :-)

#29 Leeroy

Leeroy

CNN Anchor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,771 posts

Posted 21 March 2009 - 01:12 AM

Ah yes, sets. This will always be subjective but I have to be honest and say I thought the white sets always looked too clinical and small.

What was up with those three pictures on the plasmas to the left of screen? They were the top stories. Cute idea but absolutely pointless when it accounted for like 10 mins max to the bulletin. I remember Monita introducing a package about some fashion show in front of a plasma featuring images of a the aftermath of an explosion in some place. It just didn't work I'm sorry.

I agree with you all that the current sets are too dark. I haven't really seen them for about 2 months now so they may have changed. I think the white sets work for something bright and easy like CNN Today, but to have that constantly would just be too much.

I agree with your point Morpy (sorry, I noticed nearly everyone else uses Morpy too) why is it so hard to find the common ground between too bright and too dark?

And yes, would it kill someone to have a different loop for each show? I guarantee the sets would be smokin' if we had a different background at various times and not the same thing over and over and over and over again.

#30 Morpium

Morpium

CNNFan.org Hero

• Members
  • 5,260 posts

Posted 21 March 2009 - 01:35 AM

One thing is certain - they could broadcast from a desk in front of a plain black wall and we'd still have passionate debate/opinions from either side. And that's great! :D

#31 Charles

Charles

CNN Anchor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,273 posts

Posted 21 March 2009 - 01:40 AM

If you're going to talk about graphics, that's an entirely different issue, and after giving enough time for the new graphics to burn in on my brain, one I would agree with you on.

As for the sets, I stand by my comments above. :-)

I think they are similar issues, as the sets and graphics in tandem shape the look and feel of the channel. A channel never looks good when the set and graphics don't match, which is right now on CNNI.

As for what Leeroy said, I will agree that the sets weren't always used right. The three top story photos were a nice touch, but they should've replaced them once they were done with those stories. Still, at least they weren't afraid to put things other than the white globes on the video displays. It was always really cool when they filled the big RP wall with one picture. They're a little more adventuresome in the new Atlanta set, at least when it comes to iDesk, but London and Hong Kong won't put up anything other than the CNN loop or a strange blue-tinted camera view of Victoria Harbour.

#32 Morpium

Morpium

CNNFan.org Hero

• Members
  • 5,260 posts

Posted 21 March 2009 - 02:04 AM

I'm sorry in advance if it sounds like I'm disagreeing on purpose - I'm not - but the fact that the new graphics were launched when the old newsroom sets were being used and still looked good kills the argument for me about graphics matching sets. Maybe if the set was burnt orange and the graphics were hot pink I'd think differently...

And they still use pictures on the video wall:

They just don't use them nearly enough!

#33 Arrapare

Arrapare

CNN Copy Editor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 998 posts

Posted 21 March 2009 - 02:22 AM

Hey they should use that picture everytime on world news! I wished they would use that more often as well. it looks good.
My forum friends on twitter:
yazmanian_devil morpium Leroy greekdude ginnyfan peramirez dezbee2008 goursote Spitfire
My CNN friends on twitter:
Jennifer delgado Kristie Lu Stout Jim clancy Rosemary Church Kyra Philips Mark McKay Errol Barnett Backstory
http://www.twitter.com/arrapare

#34 Charles

Charles

CNN Anchor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,273 posts

Posted 21 March 2009 - 02:27 AM

^^^

You do make a good point about the 2006 graphics in the newsroom sets. That did turn out alright, though I think one of the reasons why is that the 2006 graphics are so neutral and would work with almost any style. In general, from what I've seen, I'd say that graphics should match the set of any news organization.

And yes, they do those silly rotating images, but they don't have nearly the punch of when the pictures would fill the entire display like before:

(From David:)

Posted Image

I will say, however, that the BBC World set is the set that CNNI should have built. That would've been the best thing to do with CNNI's space and resources. A newsroom backdrop beats a video loop any day, and it's nice that they still have a newswall to the side to display pictures and also for World Business Report.

#35 Morpium

Morpium

CNNFan.org Hero

• Members
  • 5,260 posts

Posted 21 March 2009 - 02:34 AM

I will say, however, that the BBC World set is the set that CNNI should have built. That would've been the best thing to do with CNNI's space and resources. A newsroom backdrop beats a video loop any day, and it's nice that they still have a newswall to the side to display pictures and also for World Business Report.

YES! YES! YES! The beeb certainly managed to capture all the great elements. They've even got that soft area set with a projection screen in between two sofa chairs. That's right of screen.

Oh, what a joy it would have been to see something like that on CNNI!

#36 Charles

Charles

CNN Anchor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,273 posts

Posted 21 March 2009 - 02:57 PM

It didn't occur to me that people actually thought I was accusing Morpium of being under the influence of drugs. :shock: That wasn't my intention at all. There was an anti-drug ad campaign here in the States that I was trying to humorously reference in the spirit of the discussion:

I wasn't suggesting that I was trying to make a personal attack on Morpium. I was simply making a joke. :D I'm sorry to anyone who didn't understand that.

#37 Morpium

Morpium

CNNFan.org Hero

• Members
  • 5,260 posts

Posted 21 March 2009 - 03:09 PM

^^ Ha ha. Once I realised what it was in response to, I thought (and think) it was a novel way of making a point!

There was definitely no offence was taken by me, nor should it be taken by anyone else.

#38 Charles

Charles

CNN Anchor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,273 posts

Posted 07 April 2009 - 04:18 AM

Very cool new studio pan in Hong Kong. I wish they would do this more often:

It's always nice to see them get more ambitious with the camera angles. For the last few months, they've only been using those two angles (one-on shot of anchor; anchor on right, display on left) but they were using several today with Anna.

I'd also like to see them at least try to do stand ups in that studio. It might be possible if the talent were to stand next to that blue wall on the left.

#39 byron

byron

CNN V.J.

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 421 posts

Posted 10 April 2009 - 01:38 AM

The HK projection is looking very average today...

#40 Charles

Charles

CNN Anchor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,273 posts

Posted 10 April 2009 - 02:00 AM

Is it just me, or are they now sitting the anchors in Hong Kong on that seat to the left (the viewer's left, that is)? It seems like they sat the anchors right in the middle of the desk before.

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users