590 replies to this topic

#41 byron

byron

CNN V.J.

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 421 posts

Posted 10 April 2009 - 02:03 AM

Anna was in the middle of the desk throughout her hour, I didn't see Manisha's hour though.

#42 Charles

Charles

CNN Anchor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,273 posts

Posted 10 April 2009 - 02:04 AM

She looked like she was sitting to the left to me.

#43 byron

byron

CNN V.J.

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 421 posts

Posted 10 April 2009 - 02:26 AM

I have a rather quiet day today so I've decided to mock up what I would like to see the HK set look like.

The white grey square walls will be on both sides of the blue wall and they will have a number of plasmas on them.
The blue wall on the left of the set will be removed and the desk will be like the new one at Atlanta so WNA can be done standing up like iDesk and using the giant plasma as a newswall.

The plasma will either have a live shot of HK (the WBT angle) or the logo loop and story related graphic (eg north korea rocket launch) will be on the smaller plasma.

The plasma should be big enough so that on a tight shot of the anchor you can't see any of the black boarder or just a small bit.

Posted Image

#44 Charles

Charles

CNN Anchor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,273 posts

Posted 10 April 2009 - 06:51 AM

A lot of studio pans today (I'm a sucker for them):

#45 byron

byron

CNN V.J.

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 421 posts

Posted 10 April 2009 - 07:05 AM

Thanks for the caps!

That middle cap of the London set looks great!

#46 Charles

Charles

CNN Anchor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,273 posts

Posted 14 April 2009 - 04:46 AM

I've noticed during 'Today HK, when Anna introduces a report, they cut to the Atlanta studio showing the wall there display the map spin and then the first twenty seconds or so of the report. I think it looks a bit silly myself. They also still use shots of that flat panel display in the Atlanta newsroom, which also seems pointless to me. Just now, when Anna tossed to a break, the teaser video showed up on that flat panel display in Atlanta, but I don't understand why they couldn't have used the new display in the Hong Kong studio.

#47 Charles

Charles

CNN Anchor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,273 posts

Posted 20 April 2009 - 04:33 AM

Until today, I can only recall three items ever being shown on the HK displays before: the white globes, the blue CNN loop, and the HK skyline. It was nice seeing something else being put up on it, and I hope to see more items being shown on it:

#48 byron

byron

CNN V.J.

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 421 posts

Posted 20 April 2009 - 04:39 AM

They used the same graphic with Anna.

It looks really good. it makes the set look a tiny bit less cheap.

#49 byron

byron

CNN V.J.

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 421 posts

Posted 27 April 2009 - 04:36 AM

Good to see them experimenting a bit with the HK set, IMO the photo thats being used for the swin flu reports in the centre square looks good and they should use photos more often.

#50 Morpium

Morpium

CNNFan.org Hero

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,260 posts

Posted 30 April 2009 - 05:04 AM

This is probably the best shot I've seen that shows where the Hong Kong set sits in relation to the control room. Well, it'll make sense for those who know the Hong Kong newsroom.

I know that we've seen the reflection of the set on the control room glass a billion times before, but this shot gives you a better idea of the actual layout.

(click to enlarge)

#51 Charles

Charles

CNN Anchor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,273 posts

Posted 30 April 2009 - 05:18 AM

^^^

Yes, we were discussing this back in January at the bottom of page 36/ top of 37:

http://www.cnnfan.or...t=256&start=525

I also posted a shot of the old set with the control room. It's clear that the 'new' set is directly opposite of where the old set is. Behind that blue wall to Pauline's right are windows overlooking the harbour, and as you pointed out, to her left is the control room. So, there are a lot of cool opportunities for a potential new set. I think trying to fake a studio (i.e. not including the newsroom, control room, or windows) like what they did in 2007 was a bad idea for that space.

#52 Morpium

Morpium

CNNFan.org Hero

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,260 posts

Posted 30 April 2009 - 05:37 AM

^^ Yeah, I knew all that. I didn't realise the same picture had been posted though. :oops:

#53 Charles

Charles

CNN Anchor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,273 posts

Posted 30 April 2009 - 05:42 AM

^^

It's not a problem. I was about to post that same cap when they did that shot again today! :-)

#54 byron

byron

CNN V.J.

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 421 posts

Posted 27 May 2009 - 07:46 AM

What did CNN do with it's Hong Kong centre during the SARS crisis?
Did they shut down the centre or was it online?

One more question about Hong Kong is the standing news screen a key or is it a projection like London and ATL?

#55 Charles

Charles

CNN Anchor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,273 posts

Posted 27 May 2009 - 07:55 AM

I can't remember for sure, but one of the veteran posters on here said that Hong Kong was broadcasting even on a weekend when SARS broke.

That screen in the Hong Kong newsroom is most definitely a key.

#56 alexander

alexander

CNN V.J.

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 262 posts

Posted 27 May 2009 - 09:32 AM

That screen in the Hong Kong newsroom is most definitely a key.

hm... looks like a normal screen to me

Posted Image
(click to enlarge)

#57 ginnyfan

ginnyfan

• Moderators
  • 10,474 posts

Posted 27 May 2009 - 10:19 AM

Can someone explain the me the position of the current HK set. At first I thought it was the same as the old one but then we saw that video of Anna doing and interview from the newsroom and the set was behind her, in front of the newsroom.
Is the set at the end of the newsroom where they have those windows with the city behind???
If so I wonder is that old set/desk still where it was?
We'll back tomorrow , if they let us out of our cages. - Monita and Owen on CNN Today, 2008.

#58 alexander

alexander

CNN V.J.

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 262 posts

Posted 27 May 2009 - 10:52 AM

it's exactly in the opposite direction to this one. so in the old one the windows are on the right and the control room on the left. In the new one the windows are on the left and the control room on the right. (as we face the anchor)

#59 Junk Junk.

Junk Junk.

CNN Anchor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,212 posts

Posted 27 May 2009 - 12:59 PM

One more question about Hong Kong is the standing news screen a key or is it a projection like London and ATL?

Its not a key; thats a projection wall; but a lot smaller than Lon or Atl.

#60 Charles

Charles

CNN Anchor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,273 posts

Posted 27 May 2009 - 07:01 PM

That is certainly a key. I remember I was watching CNN Domestic on a Sunday night, and Don Lemon crossed over to Eunice Yoon by the HK screen, and after the cross was over, I could see her in a monitor behind Don getting too close to the screen, leaving a typically ghastly fuzz that shadows create on green screens. I knew it was a key instantly just by seeing how the anchors don't ever look or interact with it, and also that the camera angle they use to show it is always fixed (the camera never moves when they use it.)

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users