CNN London

514 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_guest_*

Guest_guest_*
  • Guests

Posted 16 September 2008 - 10:54 AM

Posted Image

Posted Image

That's how CNN building in London looks like from the outside.

#2 ginnyfan

ginnyfan

• Moderators
  • 10,499 posts

Posted 18 September 2008 - 10:40 AM

Thanks for that , I always wanted to see how it looks , I know they often use that street when they report live from London.
We'll back tomorrow , if they let us out of our cages. - Monita and Owen on CNN Today, 2008.

#3 headliner101

headliner101

CNN V.J.

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 407 posts

Posted 10 February 2009 - 02:52 PM

Hmmm... in case they renovate the London studio, perhaps QMB may want to try out the following:

1. present from the temporary set and use the RPW and plasma screen of Studio A (which is CNN/I's main studio) (just like in TSR where Wolf may be on location but the DC set is used anyway)
2. present from the LSE where I'm sure there is an RPW and he can also walk around
3. present from the NYC studio or even Studio A
4. go on location to any point the continent
CNN - The worldwide leader in news
CNN/I - Go beyond borders

#4 Axl0706

Axl0706

CNN Copy Editor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 997 posts

Posted 10 February 2009 - 02:53 PM

Then in early or mid-May, it will be opened just in time for one of the 2 new London-based programmes to be rolled-out. Amanpour's programme may probably launch in between as it will come from New York. I hope they use the big New York set.

So CNN is preparing to launch two new shows from it's London studios? That's great news. Haven't heard about that yet. Do you already know who the anchors are going to be? And what about Christiane Amanpour's programme? Are we talking about a daily programme? Sounds exciting!

This is my first post. Hi to everyone! :D

#5 headliner101

headliner101

CNN V.J.

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 407 posts

Posted 12 February 2009 - 05:01 AM

Out of curiosity, how big a space do the London and Hong Kong production centres occupy in the buildings they are based in? I mean do they occupy 1 floor only or more and if they occupy 1 floor only, is it only a small part?
CNN - The worldwide leader in news
CNN/I - Go beyond borders

#6 ginnyfan

ginnyfan

• Moderators
  • 10,499 posts

Posted 12 February 2009 - 10:57 PM

They added the third plasma screen on the right side of the newswall, just saw it on a wide camera shot on WNE.

It looks like there won't be a revamp of London set , only some aditions.
IMO they really need to get rid of that useless wall on the right side, it was always very ugly, empty and looked like they put it there in a rush to finish the set faster.
We'll back tomorrow , if they let us out of our cages. - Monita and Owen on CNN Today, 2008.

#7 Charles

Charles

CNN Anchor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,273 posts

Posted 12 February 2009 - 11:25 PM

They added the third plasma screen on the right side of the newswall, just saw it on a wide camera shot on WNE.

It looks like there won't be a revamp of London set , only some aditions.
IMO they really need to get rid of that useless wall on the right side, it was always very ugly, empty and looked like they put it there in a rush to finish the set faster.

Interesting...I'll have to catch it later today. The right of the newswall always looked like it was missing two displays. I agree with you that the right wall of that set never looked right.

#8 ginnyfan

ginnyfan

• Moderators
  • 10,499 posts

Posted 18 February 2009 - 11:55 AM

Few caps of the 3 screens on the right side. They should have put them there in the beginning, this set was so unfinished when it debuted in October 2006.

Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

#9 byron

byron

CNN V.J.

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 421 posts

Posted 18 February 2009 - 12:51 PM

London looks great now.
IMO they should get a sky cam like AJE show a live image of London on those 6 plasmas all day.
Then use the projection screen for the loop/story gfx.

#10 Junk Junk.

Junk Junk.

CNN Anchor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,212 posts

Posted 20 February 2009 - 09:27 AM

London looks great now.
IMO they should get a sky cam like AJE show a live image of London on those 6 plasmas all day.
Then use the projection screen for the loop/story gfx.

Actually I find London far worse than it debuted originally. Before, they had those red, green, yellow, colors below the plasmas, plus; all the color combinations made it nice; but now, all there to see is those tortorous blue 3d cnn everywhere; in each camera angle of anchors; those plasmas; everything is so bland now.

#11 Axl0706

Axl0706

CNN Copy Editor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 997 posts

Posted 20 February 2009 - 06:41 PM

I think London needs makeover. They don't have to dismantle the whole set but what about a new background instead of this grey wall on the right? I would love to see some colourful elements especially on the left where this small interview setting is..

#12 Charles

Charles

CNN Anchor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,273 posts

Posted 03 March 2009 - 08:30 AM

^^^

They used the regular washed-out shot today.

~~~~~~~~~~~

On another note, I know this cap is from a few days ago, but why still use this angle? Why? The set is now symmetric...

EDIT: Why not use a shot more like this?

Or the opposite of this? (credit to ginnyfan)

#13 ginnyfan

ginnyfan

• Moderators
  • 10,499 posts

Posted 03 March 2009 - 10:02 AM

That's what I'm wondering too. :-? It's the worst shot on any news channels, that background has no meaning at all and looks just ugly and boring.

That's one of my favorite Monita caps. :D

#14 byron

byron

CNN V.J.

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 421 posts

Posted 03 March 2009 - 01:06 PM

The plasmas also have a much clearer and vivid image than the projection.
The loop look shit. God knows who at CNN has let it stay for this long.
The blue globe was perfect, it worked for Today and WNA/WNE/YWT and it wasn't slow and dark like the loop.

They should get a live shot of London on the plasmas and some nice vibrant globe loop.
CNN Centre should have the globe loop and the still images on the plasmas.
HK should open the blinds and use the skyline as the set and get a new projection screen.

BBCWN and AJE crap all over CNNI when it comes to sets.

#15 Charles

Charles

CNN Anchor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,273 posts

Posted 03 March 2009 - 10:55 PM

^^^

I definitely agree. AJE and BBC chose the right people for their sets (http://www.brucedunlop.com/jagodesign/), compared to CNNI going to a local US TV designer for the new Atlanta set.

Speaking of which, FXGroup changed some of the concept photos on their website. The London set concept is largely untouched, with the exception of the CNN logos, which are now more muted, but I think they did that just to make it less obvious who the set was designed for.

The Abu Dhabi set has been modified to a slightly larger degree. The layout looks like it has been redone to make it more practical for everyday use. Also, notice how no CNN logo is found in any of these pictures (CNN must've seen this thread and told FX to yank their logos!).

If anybody wants to see the original concepts from December, I still have them saved.

#16 ginnyfan

ginnyfan

• Moderators
  • 10,499 posts

Posted 03 March 2009 - 11:13 PM

So there might be a new London set???

At least we'll have a newsroom set in Abu Dhabi.

#17 Charles

Charles

CNN Anchor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,273 posts

Posted 03 March 2009 - 11:19 PM

So there might be a new London set???

That's why I've been so puzzled by the new London additions. I came across that website in December, and one of the concept sets is clearly designed for London (similar layout, Big Ben clocks on the walls), so I assumed that a new London set would be coming after the Atlanta one, but then, CNN did the opposite and added those extra flat panels and changed the lighting a little bit.

#18 Charles

Charles

CNN Anchor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,273 posts

Posted 05 March 2009 - 07:31 AM

Here's another strange move. At the end of CNN Today, they dimmed the lights on the London studio.

Lit:

Dimmed:

#19 byron

byron

CNN V.J.

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 421 posts

Posted 19 March 2009 - 08:18 AM

Today needs to be more 'morning' currently it is so depressing to see that loop and the 3 camera angles they use. have a live shot of London on the projection screen and have the loop on the plasmas for the tight shots of M&M. The Today show here in Australia on Channel Nine has just launched a new set with a few giant plasma screens, this is something HK could do. Keep the current blue walls but take out the projection screens and replace them with a giant plasma in the middle of the blue wall. For Today you could have either angle of the skyline or the loop witch won't look so bad on a plasma and on WNA use the new angle of the HK skyline.
Here are some examples of the Today set. I think it would work so well for HK.

Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

#20 ginnyfan

ginnyfan

• Moderators
  • 10,499 posts

Posted 19 March 2009 - 10:52 PM

It's nice that they removed those chairs and platform they stand on for CNN Today too. The set looks nicer without them.

I've noticed that in this great video by Morpium.

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users