Jon

CNN Contributor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,178 posts

Posted 20 May 2009 - 02:28 AM

Posted Image

CNN Today: Sponsored by Samsung.

Put some black electrical tape over that logo, CNN.

#43 Charles

Charles

CNN Anchor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,273 posts

Posted 04 June 2009 - 01:42 AM

I only caught the end of QMB, so I didn't get to find out, but why is there a traffic light in the London studio?

Posted Image

And speaking of the London studio, when will it be remade to look like those pictures I found? This studio's getting a little long in the tooth.

#44 dezbee2008

dezbee2008

CNN Correspondent

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,302 posts

Posted 04 June 2009 - 02:14 AM

why is there a traffic light in the London studio?

Idk, but I think he said something about a company's performance, earnings, forecasts, or somewhere along the lines. It's either red, amber (in America, we call it yellow), and green.
http://www.twitter.com/dezbee2008

Michael Holmes on Frederik Pleitgen:
"Only Fred Pleitgen can go 'hey, how's it going' to a bunch of Iraqi guys with guns" :lol:
- BackStory, April 16, 2009

"Thank you, Eunice Yoon. I look forward to working with you in the future, I think."
- Andrew Stevens on WBT, June 15, 2009

#45 byron

byron

CNN V.J.

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 421 posts

Posted 07 June 2009 - 09:30 AM

And speaking of the London studio, when will it be remade to look like those pictures I found? This studio's getting a little long in the tooth.

I do hope there are plans to update the London set to fit in with the Atlanta one. Today and QMB would hugely benefit from a more flexible studio with the ability to take out the desk and numerous presentation points.

#46 Charles

Charles

CNN Anchor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,273 posts

Posted 07 June 2009 - 08:22 PM

HK's studio space has so much potential for a better set. They have a control room, a nice newsroom, and huge windows with gorgeous views of the Harbour-- they should take advantage of any of these three backdrops.

By the way, London has a new podium just like those two in Atlanta. Unfortunately, however, that appears to be the only change to the London set.

Posted Image
Posted Image

#47 Junk Junk.

Junk Junk.

CNN Anchor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,212 posts

Posted 08 June 2009 - 01:46 AM

sometime those shots are a little too close for comfort ;-)

#48 Charles

Charles

CNN Anchor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,273 posts

Posted 09 June 2009 - 03:20 AM

sometime those shots are a little too close for comfort ;-)

The steadicam shots work for shows like iDesk and SitRoom, but they just don't work in London. Do we really need a closeup of Zain typing away?

Posted Image

...and wouldn't this make a gorgeous backdrop? Not a fake, blue-tinted video shot of this in that depressing set, but rather, wouldn't it be gorgeous if they anchored in front of this window for real? I know it's difficult to get the lights just right with natural light, but I've seen studios with real windows before (ABC's GMA comes to mind).

Posted Image

#49 ginnyfan

ginnyfan

• Moderators
  • 10,499 posts

Posted 09 June 2009 - 11:46 AM

I don't mind the funny close ups, at least it's something different than the usual one wide shot of the set we used to get for years.
We'll back tomorrow , if they let us out of our cages. - Monita and Owen on CNN Today, 2008.

#50 Leeroy

Leeroy

CNN Anchor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,771 posts

Posted 09 June 2009 - 02:54 PM

For the last couple of weeks, London has been using pictures and graphics related to the story on the video wall while the story is being introduced, mainly on Don's 30 minute CNN Today and Zain's 30 minute World News. It looks and feels great.

All they need to do now is have a different background for each show, preferably a new design that incorporates new titles, and the studio will look great. Honestly, that's all they need to do in London. I guarantee you that the video wall graphics hold the key to changing the dynamics of the set.

I don't mind the idea of maybe having a Hong Kong and London skyline background for CNN Today, but that's all I'd want to see it on. Let's not start picking up habits of local tv stations and go crazy with skyline backdrops. I'd rather see graphics and images relevant to the newscast, not a skyline that will never change (except for maybe some sun and rain).

#51 Arrapare

Arrapare

CNN Copy Editor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 998 posts

Posted 10 June 2009 - 07:16 AM

For the last couple of weeks, London has been using pictures and graphics related to the story on the video wall while the story is being introduced, mainly on Don's 30 minute CNN Today and Zain's 30 minute World News. It looks and feels great.

All they need to do now is have a different background for each show, preferably a new design that incorporates new titles, and the studio will look great. Honestly, that's all they need to do in London. I guarantee you that the video wall graphics hold the key to changing the dynamics of the set.

I don't mind the idea of maybe having a Hong Kong and London skyline background for CNN Today, but that's all I'd want to see it on. Let's not start picking up habits of local tv stations and go crazy with skyline backdrops. I'd rather see graphics and images relevant to the newscast, not a skyline that will never change (except for maybe some sun and rain).

But they don't use pics all the time Leeroy. like with don's show 2day they don;t use them at all. only 1 map. very strange i must say.
My forum friends on twitter:
yazmanian_devil morpium Leroy greekdude ginnyfan peramirez dezbee2008 goursote Spitfire
My CNN friends on twitter:
Jennifer delgado Kristie Lu Stout Jim clancy Rosemary Church Kyra Philips Mark McKay Errol Barnett Backstory
http://www.twitter.com/arrapare

#52 Charles

Charles

CNN Anchor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,273 posts

Posted 18 June 2009 - 08:46 PM

Posted Image

#53 ginnyfan

ginnyfan

• Moderators
  • 10,499 posts

Posted 18 June 2009 - 10:46 PM

They are doing a great job with that jib camera on WN with Fiounnala.
Also on World Sport they have a nice pan of the set at the start.
We'll back tomorrow , if they let us out of our cages. - Monita and Owen on CNN Today, 2008.

#54 Charles

Charles

CNN Anchor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,273 posts

Posted 29 June 2009 - 08:24 AM

They put the plasma back into the London studio:

Posted Image

And usually when they shoot a newswall with text on it, they often cut to the Atlanta newswall which often isn't lit in the middle of the night, and it drive me crazy. (Why use Atlanta when London has a newswall too?) Well, today they used London's:

Posted Image

#55 Charles

Charles

CNN Anchor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,273 posts

Posted 26 July 2009 - 07:36 PM

Thought I'd move this from the Errol thread:

Skimming over my recordings with no sound, I thought Errol was doing a story on sleeping over in the CNN bureau in London. It was actually a story related to the moon landing.

Connect The World, Monday...

(click to enlarge)

I thought I spotted a spa desk in the London newsroom in one of the QMB photos on Facebook. I do wish they would use it, too.

#56 Charles

Charles

CNN Anchor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,273 posts

Posted 29 July 2009 - 07:49 AM

I love this soft focus shot:

Posted ImagePosted Image

#57 Charles

Charles

CNN Anchor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,273 posts

Posted 31 July 2009 - 07:13 AM

Not sure where to post all these caps since there are so many things going on in them, but I wanted to show the spa desk in London:

Posted ImagePosted Image

It looks alright in there. Hong Kong could use a spa desk now.

#58 ginnyfan

ginnyfan

• Moderators
  • 10,499 posts

Posted 03 August 2009 - 10:34 PM

Fiounnalla used the spa desk at the end of WN today, it was in front of 3 plasma screens, they could easily do IDesk from London set.

#59 byron

byron

CNN V.J.

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 421 posts

Posted 04 August 2009 - 07:47 AM

They need to put the desk on wheels first.
They don't need to do much to the London set to give it an update, put plasmas on the wall on the RHS of the set or the wall nearest to where Don sits.
and keep the projection and plasmas how they are now but put the blue map graphic on the white walls that are there now.

#60 The Dude

The Dude

CNN Intern

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 79 posts

Posted 04 August 2009 - 11:37 AM

it is quite technical to put idesk on the air and london is no where close to having what they need

Fiounnalla used the spa desk at the end of WN today, it was in front of 3 plasma screens, they could easily do IDesk from London set.

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users