182 replies to this topic

#1 Charles

Charles

CNN Anchor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,270 posts

Posted 04 November 2009 - 07:04 AM

I guess we could have a thread for the primetime political specials, where they haul out every contributor, get out the fancy graphics, and talk politics, politics, politics. They've had a few of these so far this year, and there was one tonight.

Here's a video of the top of the hour of Campbell Brown if anyone's interested. There's a nice view of the newsroom at the beginning.

#2 Jeffmister

Jeffmister

CNN Intern

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 88 posts

Posted 04 November 2009 - 07:22 AM

Don't like having that promo shown in between Lou Dobbs Tonight & Campbell Brown - should have gone straight from Lou to Campbell & have along the bottom strap "NOW: Campbell Brown/9pm ET: Larry King Live" instead of the promo.

Anyway, I like the bottom strap that CNN has been using for their election coverage - much better (IMHO) than what Fox News & MSNBC have been using, all they need to do is make it slightly bigger & it could be used for major elections, etc.

Attached File  CNN ENIA Graphics.jpg   20.57KB   130 downloads
Attached File  Fox News AEH Graphics.jpg   31.64KB   130 downloads
Attached File  MSNBC Decision 09 Graphics.jpg   27.74KB   125 downloads

#3 Junk Junk.

Junk Junk.

CNN Anchor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,212 posts

Posted 04 November 2009 - 01:09 PM

50-50 on same sex vote? wow :lol:
I like Fox's graphic the best. Unlike its usual package with outlandishly big fonts, this one is sleek and matches well with the hd format.

#4 Riceo

Riceo

CNN Copy Editor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 813 posts

Posted 22 September 2010 - 10:10 AM

It's that time of the season again. Midterms. Details of a debate hosted by Wolf: http://www.udel.edu/...bate092110.html

#5 Lazlo

Lazlo

CNN Contributor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,039 posts

Posted 26 October 2010 - 07:43 AM

I thought CNN learned their lesson to not play with technology after the hologram joke back in '08? :-P With that said, the "election matrix" does look pretty okay.

CNN Press Release: Network to Create Virtual Environment “CNN Election Matrix” to Visualize Vast Amounts of Election Data

CNN’s Best Political Team will add new technology to its arsenal in order to better explain the complex story of the midterm elections as it unfolds on Tuesday, Nov. 2. Lead political anchor Wolf Blitzer, joined by Anderson Cooper, Candy Crowley, John King and Soledad O’Brien will headline Election Night in America, beginning at 7 p.m. and continuing into the following day. From Delaware to Nevada to Alaska, CNN will dispatch correspondents across the country to check in throughout the night and report on the crucial races impacting the balance of power in Congress.

The network will create a live and interactive environment, called the “CNN Election Matrix,” to break down data in a visual way. With this tool, King visually will whip through a comprehensive amount of information to better explain to viewers the most competitive House and Senate races. In an election filled with partisanship and strong anti-incumbent feelings, viewers will see the race through the lens of incumbencies: which incumbents have fallen, when they were elected, the nationwide impact and more. Additionally, the “CNN Election Matrix” will create a virtual representation of which party is gaining ground and potential shifts in the balance of power.

“We are taking capabilities of the Data Wall and quadrupling it in order to report the story in the clearest way we can,” said David Bohrman, senior vice president and Washington bureau chief. “Viewers are ready for a rich meal of election items and with CNN’s technology on air and online, paired with the Best Political Team, we will serve an unparalleled election night experience.”
Building on hologram technology unveiled during 2008’s Election Night in America, the network will create an entirely new way to display exit polling data using three-dimensional graphics. O’Brien will use virtual graphics that appear in the studio to actually show viewers not only how people voted, but also specifically what groups of people voted. The technology will allow viewers to see the real picture of voter turnout and how that could influence who controls Washington.

CNN Observations

#6 ginnyfan

ginnyfan

• Moderators
  • 10,459 posts

Posted 26 October 2010 - 10:40 AM

Just one question. After this election is over the campaign for the next presidential election starts, right?:shock:

If so then I can't believe how soon it is , it seems like yesterday when Obama was inaugurated.:surprised::surprised::surprised:
We'll back tomorrow , if they let us out of our cages. - Monita and Owen on CNN Today, 2008.

#7 newser

newser

CNN Correspondent

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,234 posts

Posted 27 October 2010 - 02:14 AM

So, CNN will apparently use theme song from HBO's "John Adams" as its new official election music. I'm not sure I'll like it.

#8 Leeroy

Leeroy

CNN Anchor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,771 posts

Posted 28 October 2010 - 06:03 AM

Yuck! That's an awful piece of music for a lively election night broadcast. :no:

You can't beat this one:

You simply can't beat it. I don't think there's anything wrong with that old theme as it is, but they could have at least remixed that instead of stealing the score from a telemovie.

#9 cityprod

cityprod

CNN Intern

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 104 posts

Posted 28 October 2010 - 06:23 AM

Yuck! That's an awful piece of music for a lively election night broadcast. :no:

You can't beat this one:

You simply can't beat it. I don't think there's anything wrong with that old theme as it is, but they could have at least remixed that instead of stealing the score from a telemovie.

I first heard a version of that back in 1994, and I think it had undergone a fair few remixes over the years already. There was also a version fed to radio affiliates around 1996. Not sure it could be remixed much more anyway.

#10 Wilma

Wilma

CNN Copy Editor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 537 posts

Posted 29 October 2010 - 12:19 PM

I don't know if it was a mistake or not, but CNNI yesterday used the new election titles with the previous election theme music on World Report. It looked and sounded really good.

#11 Junk Junk.

Junk Junk.

CNN Anchor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,212 posts

Posted 29 October 2010 - 07:35 PM

You can't beat this one:

Best. Music. Ever. This was why I fell in love with CNN and nothing can beat it. Although I'm okay with the John Adams theme, although it is incredibly slow and patriotic.

#12 Arsenal215

Arsenal215

CNN Viewer

• Members
  • Pip
  • 30 posts

Posted 30 October 2010 - 10:57 PM

The new theme song they are using although a ripoff from thier HBO sister network's Show "John Adams" is not that bad, plus the old theme song had been used for a long time and needed to be retired. And i like that they chose the perfect part of that whole theme...

#13 Lazlo

Lazlo

CNN Contributor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,039 posts

Posted 31 October 2010 - 10:34 AM

I posted this in Ali's thread, but I guess it's probably appropriate here too:

on a VERY early flight f/Toronto-NY to spend the day learning our new 3D Exit Poll technology; I'll use it on-air on Election night

http://twitter.com/alivelshi/status/29265132661

Seems like Ali will be working election night and the "matrix" as well as John King.

#14 Wilma

Wilma

CNN Copy Editor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 537 posts

Posted 01 November 2010 - 12:32 PM

I've been quite happy with CNNI's coverage of this midterm election. There's been about even coverage. Not too little, not too much. A little while back Jim asked his followers on twitter whether they wanted to see coverage of the election on The Brief, and the overwhelming response was basically only if it was reports on policies and not the usual political drama and partisan attacks.

#15 Junk Junk.

Junk Junk.

CNN Anchor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,212 posts

Posted 02 November 2010 - 01:38 PM

Wow, Today is the election!

#16 Axl0706

Axl0706

CNN Copy Editor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 997 posts

Posted 02 November 2010 - 05:42 PM

I'd love to watch all night but unfortunately I'll have to work tomorrow. Election night in the US on CNN - always super exciting!!!!!!!

#17 fer

fer

CNN Copy Editor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 747 posts

Posted 02 November 2010 - 10:17 PM

CNN en Español is using cnn domestic and international studios in Atlanta for their coverage.
(6pm est)

#18 Charles

Charles

CNN Anchor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,270 posts

Posted 02 November 2010 - 11:14 PM

I love the election results website on CNNPolitics. Other than the fact that they identify Tom Tancredo as an Independent rather than from the American Constitution Party, it's very convenient to track the results.

#19 newser

newser

CNN Correspondent

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,234 posts

Posted 03 November 2010 - 12:10 AM

Ummm, graphics overload?

Posted Image

#20 Arsenal215

Arsenal215

CNN Viewer

• Members
  • Pip
  • 30 posts

Posted 03 November 2010 - 12:20 AM

Ummm, graphics overload?

Posted Image

True, i hate to say this on a cnn fan website but i switched over to MSNBC and thier graphics are nicely polished and minimalistic. I refuse to give FOX any airtime. CNN is still my News Channel of Choice. Did anyone catch that quick "Piers Morgan Tonight" Promo as they were coming back from the local market commercials?

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users