124 replies to this topic

#1 Morpium

Morpium

CNNFan.org Hero

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,260 posts

Posted 20 March 2007 - 09:49 AM

CNN correspondent, based in the Baghdad bureau.

#2 Morpium

Morpium

CNNFan.org Hero

• Members
  • 5,260 posts

Posted 05 April 2007 - 10:11 AM

.:Source: The Australian
.:Link: Click here for full article

A couple of days old, but meh.

ON April Fools' Day a story appeared on news website The Drudge Report that Michael Ware, CNN's Baghdad reporter, had heckled Republican senator John McCain during a press conference. The report has sparked several days of anti and pro-Ware comment on blogs, and several rebuttals on CNN.

"An official at the press conference called Ware's conduct 'outrageous', saying, 'Here you have two United States senators in Baghdad giving first-hand reports while Ware is laughing and mocking their comments," The Drudge Report said on April 1. "I've never witnessed such disrespect. This guy is an activist, not a reporter."

Ware is an Australian reporter who has filed from Afghanistan to Iraq, famously for Time and now for CNN. His broad Australian accent and forthright style infuriates some Americans, and he has become a target of the Right. He may have put off some supporters of the war in Iraq when he said on air: "I've been given a front-row ticket to watch this slow-motion train wreck. I try to stay as drunk for as long as possible while I'm here. In fact, I'm drinking now."

Video footage of the press conference proved that Ware did not heckle Senator McCain. He didn't even speak.

#3 timon

timon

CNN Copy Editor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 516 posts

Posted 05 April 2007 - 11:23 AM

yup this guy is not an reporter :twisted:

#4 Morpium

Morpium

CNNFan.org Hero

• Members
  • 5,260 posts

Posted 21 May 2007 - 11:43 AM

.:Source: ABC TV Australia
.:Link: Click here for full article

Found an interview with Michael Ware from 2004. Just click the link above if you want to read it.

#5 Morpium

Morpium

CNNFan.org Hero

• Members
  • 5,260 posts

Posted 22 May 2007 - 11:20 AM

.:Source: ABC TV Australia
.:Link: Click here to watch the video

Further to my post above, here's a more recent interview from last week. It is from the ABC's Media Watch program. Click the link above to watch the video.

(Note: From personal experience, if you encounter a blank page when you click the link, refresh the page to see the option of which video source you want).

#6 Guest_Hugo_*

Guest_Hugo_*
  • Guests

Posted 26 June 2007 - 02:10 AM

He is back in Baghdad after, I believe, six months out.

#7 Spitfire

Spitfire

CNN Correspondent

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,034 posts

Posted 26 June 2007 - 08:59 AM

Good I think he's a terrific reporter and he also has that Loose Cannon quality about him that makes him stand out. :D
Quote of the week
Holmesy on Hala
"Do not adjust your set she really is that beautiful."
YWT 14th November 2006

#8 Beano

Beano

CNN V.J.

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 472 posts

Posted 03 July 2007 - 07:50 PM

Good I think he's a terrific reporter and he also has that Loose Cannon quality about him that makes him stand out. :D

He reminds me of Mel Gibson in Lethal Weapon. :lol:

I don't think he really is such a 'loose gun' but his way of reporting does seem to differ quite a bit from that of other CNN reporters. Must be the Aussie style of journalism.

Something I read in his Wikipedia-article:

In August 2008, publisher Hachette Australia will publish Foreign Correspondent, Ware's first book.

I may read that when it is released.

#9 Honn

Honn

CNN V.J.

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 335 posts

Posted 04 July 2007 - 07:51 AM

He's lively and yeh he looks more like an actor LMAO!

#10 cyn

cyn

CNN Viewer

• Members
  • Pip
  • 29 posts

Posted 25 July 2007 - 09:39 PM

I run a website that archives Michael's work, and I was asked to write up a bio of him for the "All Things Anderson" and "All Things CNN" blogs. If anyone is interested, you can read it here.
Watch all of Michael Ware's reports
online at www.MickWare.com

#11 MWmcFan

MWmcFan

CNN Viewer

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 05 October 2007 - 04:03 AM

:) Hi everyone,
This is my first post at this site. I'm a big fan of Michael Ware. Today he started reporting on CNNI for the Rugby World Cup games and will continue until the Final game. Unfortunately, I can't get CNNI in California. Does anyone have any suggestions of how I could see Michael's reports?
Kind regards,
MWmcFan

#12 Spitfire

Spitfire

CNN Correspondent

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,034 posts

Posted 05 October 2007 - 08:24 AM

Damn suprising :shock: :shock: :shock: to learn that Michael Ware actually used to play Rugby with one of the members of the Australian team, amazing really. What a turn up and maybe Rugby is what gave him his broken nose. Was great to hear his take on the tournament though I look forward to more of his reporting.

Michael Ware's reporting can be found here but you probably already know about it.
http://search.cnn.co...l ware&x=8&y=11
Quote of the week
Holmesy on Hala
YWT 14th November 2006

#13 MWmcFan

MWmcFan

CNN Viewer

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 05 October 2007 - 06:34 PM

Thank you Spitfire for the link, I hadn't seen that video yet. This morning on YWT (which is the only CNNI program we get on the West Coast) Hala & Michael H. did a wonderful interview with Mick about the games and life outside of Iraq. I hope it will be posted on one of the sites: http://ware-abouts.mickware.info/ I also keep checking youtube. :D

#14 cyn

cyn

CNN Viewer

• Members
  • Pip
  • 29 posts

Posted 05 October 2007 - 06:53 PM

Spitfire, his former teammate coaches the Fiji team, his former coach John Connolly is the Wallabies coach, and he said there are even former teammates playing this weekend!

I will definitely get the YWT piece posted, MWmcFan!

And CNN has his report from this morning up, as well. So great to see him laughing and having fun! This is a very low-tech screengrab from it, just look at that grin!

Attached Files

#15 Spitfire

Spitfire

CNN Correspondent

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,034 posts

Posted 12 October 2007 - 09:08 AM

I love it when someone is passionate about something, it can be anything flower arranging, ballet dancing, butterfly collecting or anything else. Michael has this passion about Rugby his reports are great to watch. There is no regular sports reporter at CNN who could have done a better job, they would have just gone through the motions. Sending Warey to France was a damn good idea. :D :D :D
Quote of the week
Holmesy on Hala
YWT 14th November 2006

#16 Richard

Richard

CNN Copy Editor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 886 posts

Posted 13 October 2007 - 07:36 PM

I have been really impressed by Michael's excellent rugby reporting too. I've already posted these caps in the Ralitsa thread, but I'll put them here too since we seem to have quite a few Michael Ware fans. That said, I think Michael is better to watch than to look at caps of, but here they are anyway :D :

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

#17 cyn

cyn

CNN Viewer

• Members
  • Pip
  • 29 posts

Posted 13 October 2007 - 07:50 PM

I've been slacking on posting my screengrabs over here, but here are a few. Also, all of Michael's reports from France are available on my site. (Not today's yet, though; my Parisian supplier is currently at the Trocadéro, looking for the man himself.)

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

#18 Junk Junk.

Junk Junk.

CNN Anchor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,212 posts

Posted 14 October 2007 - 05:30 AM

I guess it is a good break for him from the stories of Iraq. Good to see him doing some sports. And by the way, I have no clue how to play rugby, can anybody tell me the rules? :lol:

#19 Thot

Thot

CNN Contributor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,309 posts

Posted 14 October 2007 - 06:19 PM

I don't understand a thing about rugby, but Michael's enthusiasm about it is almost contagious. CNNI did well in sending him doing the cover of the Rugby World Cup. Only a real enthusiast, like him, could generate some curiosity about a game that isn't that popular.
I like Michael Ware. Not only he is a great reporter but he seems to a very fine person as well. I real like the sense of modesty that emanates from him. :D
Posted Image

#20 Spitfire

Spitfire

CNN Correspondent

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,034 posts

Posted 26 November 2007 - 03:45 PM

I have heard precious little from Warey since he returned to Iraq I suppose that could be a sign that there's a lull over there. What I love about him is he manages never, ever to sound dull. Robertson, Chance and Penhaul take note.
Quote of the week
Holmesy on Hala
YWT 14th November 2006

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users