134 replies to this topic

#1 Charles

Charles

CNN Anchor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,270 posts

Posted 17 November 2009 - 03:36 AM

While we're all anxiously awaiting John King's original new show, an interim show called "CNN Tonight" debuted tonight and will run until the start of King's show.

I believe I read that a rotating group of anchors will present it. John Roberts presented it tonight, and I didn't think it was that bad. I really like John as an anchor. The one thing I didn't like was that they led with that cancer story. They wrapped it in Breaking News straps to make it appear more interesting and they split it up into two pieces so they could tease the second one. Otherwise, I thought it was pretty newsy. It'll be interesting to see how it does in the ratings. I think one of the reasons why Shep Smith does so well is because his show is relatively newsy (for Fox, at least).

Here's a video of the open. Sorry for the fuzzy first ten seconds. John presented it in the Lou Dobbs/GPS set. The red graphics really clashed with it. I'm pretty sure the music used for the opening sequence was production music, and they used Newsroom music during the commercial playoffs.

#2 hfiles

hfiles

CNN Contributor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,473 posts

Posted 17 November 2009 - 03:46 AM

Haha! I like how they played the old "Live From..." theme when the announcer says "This is CNN Tonight, Live from New York! Here now is John Roberts!"

#3 Charles

Charles

CNN Anchor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,270 posts

Posted 17 November 2009 - 03:55 AM

You're right about that! It sounded familiar, but I couldn't put my finger on it.

Here's the old Live From music, from Axl, who posted this in the Old CNN thread:

"Live from CNN" (CNNUSA) with Kyra Phillips - Two videos and some music
http://i42.photobucket.com/player.swf?file=http://vid42.photobucket.com/albums/e301/axlwhity/LivefromCNNUSA.flv

#4 jjlucash

jjlucash

CNN Intern

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 175 posts

Posted 17 November 2009 - 05:45 AM

I like that music is being recycled for this new show (too bad I have to wait until tomorrow to actually see the show. Food for thought: DO NOT subscribe to Cox Communications because they will happily screw up your account and charge you for some random person's unpaid bills). It's also pretty clever what they did with the Issue #1 graphics.

#5 dezbee2008

dezbee2008

CNN Correspondent

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,302 posts

Posted 17 November 2009 - 02:06 PM

Nice to hear the old music from "Live From..." Thanks for the vid. I usually never watch CNN USA in the evenings.
http://www.twitter.com/dezbee2008

Michael Holmes on Frederik Pleitgen:
"Only Fred Pleitgen can go 'hey, how's it going' to a bunch of Iraqi guys with guns" :lol:
- BackStory, April 16, 2009

"Thank you, Eunice Yoon. I look forward to working with you in the future, I think."
- Andrew Stevens on WBT, June 15, 2009

#6 ginnyfan

ginnyfan

• Moderators
  • 10,459 posts

Posted 17 November 2009 - 10:55 PM

This should be permanent, much better than another talking head.
We'll back tomorrow , if they let us out of our cages. - Monita and Owen on CNN Today, 2008.

#7 ginnyfan

ginnyfan

• Moderators
  • 10,459 posts

Posted 19 November 2009 - 11:47 PM

So John now does both AM and CNN Tonight. Wow, does he go home at all? :-?
We'll back tomorrow , if they let us out of our cages. - Monita and Owen on CNN Today, 2008.

#8 Junk Junk.

Junk Junk.

CNN Anchor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,212 posts

Posted 20 November 2009 - 03:30 AM

So John now does both AM and CNN Tonight. Wow, does he go home at all? :-?

I read somewhere that they had a rotation for that, between him, Erica Hill, Tom Foreman, among others..

#9 Jon

Jon

CNN Contributor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,178 posts

Posted 20 November 2009 - 03:44 AM

Wow, this show actually beat "Hardball" on MSNBC. Maybe Americans will open their eyes to hard news.

#10 jjlucash

jjlucash

CNN Intern

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 175 posts

Posted 20 November 2009 - 04:26 AM

Wow, this show actually beat "Hardball" on MSNBC. Maybe Americans will open their eyes to hard news.

And that's a repeat of Hardball. What you said gave me hope because this show definitely has a lot of potential--hard news, no bias (thus far) and barely any filler.

#11 Charles

Charles

CNN Anchor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,270 posts

Posted 20 November 2009 - 05:17 AM

Wow, this show actually beat "Hardball" on MSNBC

...by 3,000 viewers in the demo on Wednesday, and it actually came behind Hardball in total viewers, so I wouldn't call it a success just yet. Still, it's not coming in dead last in its timeslot like some of the other shows (ahem, Campbell Brown). Plus, for an interim show, I think it's actually a good sign that it's doing about as well as Dobbs' ratings. It'll be interesting to see how the ratings for it will be in a month.

#12 Jon

Jon

CNN Contributor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,178 posts

Posted 20 November 2009 - 05:24 AM

I really like John Roberts as an anchor. After watching a full episode, it seems too sensationalist with overblown graphics. I wish they'd tone it down a bit to match his anchoring style.

#13 Lazlo

Lazlo

CNN Contributor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,039 posts

Posted 24 November 2009 - 11:28 PM

I like John too and remember him fondly as weekend and relief anchor on CBS Evening News.

I'd love to see CNN do a straight news show in primetime. They can't let The Fox Report get away with being the only closest thing to a traditional news bulletin on cable news.

#14 Charles

Charles

CNN Anchor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,270 posts

Posted 08 December 2009 - 05:53 AM

Here's tonight's open with Erica Hill. I also included the Becky Anderson report.

#15 AExAVF

AExAVF

CNN Copy Editor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 698 posts

Posted 08 December 2009 - 06:30 AM

Here's tonight's open with Erica Hill. I also included the Becky Anderson report.

yv_h3vfbZDo

"Connect the World on CNN Tonight." :Yes:

CNN Tonight's quite a decent news program. I'd pick this over Fox Report anytime of the day, at least until John King's new program debuts next year. But it strikes me that the title CNN Tonight reminds me a lot of CNN Today.
"As an anchor Kate Bolduan has no equal; as a correspondent she has no known biases."
- lifted from the words of Victor Caroli as he describes Predaking in the files of Teletraan II.

#16 wetsom

wetsom

CNN Intern

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 230 posts

Posted 01 January 2010 - 12:41 AM

Live from Atlanta.

Posted Image

#17 jjlucash

jjlucash

CNN Intern

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 175 posts

Posted 01 January 2010 - 01:19 AM

Live from Atlanta.

Posted Image

...and I'm loving all two hours of it!

#18 madaboutpenny

madaboutpenny

CNN Intern

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 150 posts

Posted 01 January 2010 - 02:18 AM

John and Kyra sittin in a tree...

;-)

#19 jjlucash

jjlucash

CNN Intern

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 175 posts

Posted 01 January 2010 - 04:06 AM

John and Kyra sittin in a tree...

;-)

My point exactly. We know about their personal chemistry, but they really do have a broadcasting chemistry as well.

#20 ginnyfan

ginnyfan

• Moderators
  • 10,459 posts

Posted 01 January 2010 - 10:28 PM

Nice idea from CNN, they should bring back more of double anchored shows from Atlanta.

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users