62 replies to this topic

#1 Morpium

Morpium

CNNFan.org Hero

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,260 posts

Posted 20 January 2010 - 11:46 PM

This will mean absolutely nothing to anyone else here, but finally, ABC Australia will launch a 24 hour news channel this year.

It has been rumoured for sometime, and was teased earlier this week, and now it's official. I can't believe that the embarrassment that is Sky News Australia will finally have some competition. SNA is ok if you watch 30 minutes a day. Even if it's just 30 minutes in the morning, you've basically seen all you're going to see on SNA that day. Murdoch's not going to be happy, infact, a hit piece detailing why the ABC shouldn't start a news channel already ran this week in his national newspaper. But he can go blow it out his ass. I cannot tell you how exciting this news is for people like me who have been frustrated with the lack of a decent 24 hours news service in this country.

After doing some other reading online, the channel is supposed to be on air before our next federal election. That should be around the middle of the year. So launch for the news channel is not that far away. Apparently the new studios and news centre have been under construction and nearing completion already.

#2 Lazlo

Lazlo

CNN Contributor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,039 posts

Posted 21 January 2010 - 03:11 AM

I wonder whether they will move Juanita Phillips to the news channel? It would be coming full circle for her going back to a 24 hour news channel (after her stint at CNNI in London a few years back). As I understand tho, she is quite successful doing the main 7pm news in Sydney.

#3 Morpium

Morpium

CNNFan.org Hero

• Members
  • 5,260 posts

Posted 16 April 2010 - 08:58 AM

I wonder whether they will move Juanita Phillips to the news channel?

According to this from the ABC today, Juanita will indeed be joining the presenting team. 8-)

#4 Morpium

Morpium

CNNFan.org Hero

• Members
  • 5,260 posts

Posted 05 July 2010 - 09:42 AM

The launch was reportedly pushed back due to technical problems, but two dates rumoured for the launch are July 7 and July 14. The first promo for the network debuted this evening, so I'd be willing to bet that it won't launch this week, but on the 14th.

#5 Morpium

Morpium

CNNFan.org Hero

• Members
  • 5,260 posts

Posted 06 July 2010 - 06:51 AM

#6 newser

newser

CNN Correspondent

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,234 posts

Posted 06 July 2010 - 11:55 AM

They even put CNNI in the promo loop. Pause the video at 02:55 and you'll see it. 8-)

#7 Lazlo

Lazlo

CNN Contributor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,039 posts

Posted 06 July 2010 - 02:58 PM

No surprise to see Juanita get the (I'm presuming) flagship evening show. She is still missed from CNN London.

#8 Morpium

Morpium

CNNFan.org Hero

• Members
  • 5,260 posts

Posted 07 July 2010 - 10:19 AM

Don't mind the option to watch in HD - they're not HD. I capped them from the SD feed of ABC1 as only the promo loop is running on ABC News 24.

Promo 3 Promo 4 Promo 5

#9 Leeroy

Leeroy

CNN Anchor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,771 posts

Posted 07 July 2010 - 02:21 PM

I noticed one of the people said in that 3 minute promo that they will stream online. I wonder if this will be available worldwide? It'd be great if they streamed online as Sky News Australia doesn't seem to be available online. Speaking of Sky News, they must be crapping themselves to have some competition after 10 years?

#10 Axl0706

Axl0706

CNN Copy Editor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 997 posts

Posted 07 July 2010 - 04:17 PM

This will mean absolutely nothing to anyone else here, but finally, ABC Australia will launch a 24 hour news channel this year.

No, actually it IS interesting! Keep us updated. These promos look very promising and it's always fascinating (for newsjunkies like me) to see the on-air designs of different newsnetworks!

#11 Morpium

Morpium

CNNFan.org Hero

• Members
  • 5,260 posts

Posted 08 July 2010 - 12:11 PM

I noticed one of the people said in that 3 minute promo that they will stream online. I wonder if this will be available worldwide? It'd be great if they streamed online as Sky News Australia doesn't seem to be available online. Speaking of Sky News, they must be crapping themselves to have some competition after 10 years?

Sky News Australia has been getting the various News Corp. publications to do their bidding ever since plans for the channel were made public earlier this year. Articles have been appearing in News Corp. papers spitting out every argument against ABC News 24. I'd say they're very nervous, and they should be, especially if News 24 is half as good as they promise to be.

These promos look very promising and it's always fascinating (for newsjunkies like me) to see the on-air designs of different newsnetworks!

The channel has been in "as live" rehearsals for some time now. A few weeks back, on the night when Rudd came unstuck, the ABC put News 24's anchors to air to cover the breaking news and inadvertently put (what most people believe to be) the News 24 graphics to air for about 10 minutes.

(click to enlarge) Source

Here's the video - although there's nothing you don't see in the cap above.

They're obviously inspired by the previous CNNI / Sky News / Channel 4 closed caption look. They don't look as polished as the previous CNNI (or current Sky News graphics). I think the white text straps don't look right - particularly when it is sitting right on the top of the flipper. Maybe I'm just used to seeing black text on white. Perhaps it will look a whole lot better when the News 24 logo is on screen. They do look better than what I was expecting though. Speaking of the flipper, the text zooms out in the video. I hope they make some tweaks and drop the zoom effect on the flipper. Finally - flipper related still - I think they need to do something to distinguish the white lower third text to the flipper. It could look like the flipper is following on from the white straps, but it's a completely different story.

The sliding elements are really intriguing. I can't wait to see how they fit into the whole look. I think some of the titles used in the promo loop may turn out to be the actual titles.

#12 Morpium

Morpium

CNNFan.org Hero

• Members
  • 5,260 posts

Posted 09 July 2010 - 08:31 AM

ABC News 24 in practice mode:)

Source
Attached File  127097212.jpg   98.22KB   69 downloads

And two more:

#13 Morpium

Morpium

CNNFan.org Hero

• Members
  • 5,260 posts

Posted 13 July 2010 - 07:05 AM

Sadly, ABC News 24 won't be launching this week - but we now have an official date! It's only an extra week to wait.

ABC News 24 - to start broadcasting on Thursday 22nd July at 7.30pm. On TV, online and on mobile.

Source

ABC News 24, Australia's first free-to-air, 24-hour digital news service, will start broadcasting at 7.30pm AEST, Thursday 22nd July, right across the country.

ABC News Director, Kate Torney, said: "ABC News 24 will showcase the very best of the ABC's journalism from Australia and around the world."

These resources will be on display during "ABC News 24 Launch, ABC News Special", a national program airing on ABC1 at 7.30pm, and simulcast on ABC News 24 at 7.30pm AEST, on Thursday 22nd July.

Produced from ABC's Ultimo studios, the launch special will feature coverage of the news of the day from ABC News 24's state-of-the-art broadcast centre. ABC News 24's first hour will deliver an unparalleled examination of the national and international news agenda with stories from Australian regions and cities; reports from Asia, Europe and the US; and analysis of the political, social and economic trends that will impact this election year and beyond.

ABC correspondents preparing for the launch night special include Political Editor, Chris Uhlmann; Foreign Correspondents, Kim Landers and Phil Williams; Regional Affairs Reporter, Paul Lockyer; and from Asia, Stephen O'Donnell and Sally Sara.

ABC News 24's launch showcases the philosophy of the channel - excellent journalism, stunning visual design and multiplatform delivery of news as it happens.

http://blogs.abc.net...ce-will-co.html

#14 ginnyfan

ginnyfan

• Moderators
  • 10,459 posts

Posted 13 July 2010 - 11:45 AM

That looks like another BBC inspired studio.
We'll back tomorrow , if they let us out of our cages. - Monita and Owen on CNN Today, 2008.

#15 Morpium

Morpium

CNNFan.org Hero

• Members
  • 5,260 posts

Posted 13 July 2010 - 01:00 PM

That looks like another BBC inspired studio.

Yes, you're right. Apparently there are three different points where they will/can present from in that studio. Apparently some parts of it can change colour - which will be a good break from all the blue. There is also supposed to be another studio set for News 24 in Melbourne. Nothing else has really been seen of that yet.

Here's the downloadable press kit the ABC released on News 24 this afternoon.

#16 Gruffny

Gruffny

CNN Correspondent

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,619 posts

Posted 13 July 2010 - 01:26 PM

I'm able to watch videos on their website through a proxy site, so hopefully we'll be able to see the live stream through the same way. It'll come in handy especially as they have an election coming up this year, and political nerds like me love to see other countries elections. I don't CNNI will cover any other global elections like they do with US or UK election.
Let's put the NEWS back into Cable NEWS Network.
less World Sport, more World Report.

#17 Morpium

Morpium

CNNFan.org Hero

• Members
  • 5,260 posts

Posted 16 July 2010 - 06:41 AM

Ah... more shenanigans from Sky News Australia. Can't wait to see the rhetoric once this damn channel launches. :D

#18 Thok

Thok

CNN V.J.

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 379 posts

Posted 22 July 2010 - 02:08 AM

Unfortunately, the live stream of ABC News 24 will be geoblocked outside of Australia. This is because we only have the rights to broadcast some of the content we're using (from the likes of international services such as Reuters) within Australia.

ABC News TV Blog

Gruffny , please PM me or post the proxy site. The channel launches in about 7 hours.

#19 Thok

Thok

CNN V.J.

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 379 posts

Posted 22 July 2010 - 08:21 AM

Live stream now online: "Sorry due to copyright reason this video can only be viewed by people in Australia."

#20 Morpium

Morpium

CNNFan.org Hero

• Members
  • 5,260 posts

Posted 22 July 2010 - 08:35 AM

(click to enlarge)

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users